PDA

View Full Version : How do I create quests in an adventure module?

GuardianLurker
June 29th, 2015, 07:31
The only way I've found that works is a little dance where
1) I create a new empty quest in the party sheet,
2) drop the link into the appropriate story entry,
3) then delete it from the quest log,
4) click on the now-broken link in the story entry, and
5) fill out the entry as required.

If I just create them in the quest log, the players can see them directly, whether or not the quest has been awarded. Which works in actual "The NPC gave you a side quest", but not if it's a hidden reward related to the adventure.

The only other way I know of to handle this kind of thing is to edit the character sheets directly.

Trenloe
June 29th, 2015, 14:02
If I just create them in the quest log, the players can see them directly, whether or not the quest has been awarded. Which works in actual "The NPC gave you a side quest", but not if it's a hidden reward related to the adventure.
The players don't see anything on the XP tab - they don't even have access to the XP tab in the party sheet. To see what the players see, load up a second instance of FG on the same computer and "Join Game" with a Host Address of localhost So you can create the quests in the quests section without fear of the players seeing them.

I've tried the approach you mention, but step 5 creates another entry directly in the quests list in the party sheet (at least testing in the 5E ruleset does this). I think the only place FG stores quest data is directly in the party sheet, nowhere else. Dragging a link to a story entry just links back to a record in the party sheet.

Might be worth adding a request for separate quest entries (similar to encounter records) in the FG wishlist: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

GuardianLurker
June 29th, 2015, 19:56
The players don't see anything on the XP tab - they don't even have access to the XP tab in the party sheet. To see what the players see, load up a second instance of FG on the same computer and "Join Game" with a Host Address of localhost So you can create the quests in the quests section without fear of the players seeing them.

I've tried the approach you mention, but step 5 creates another entry directly in the quests list in the party sheet (at least testing in the 5E ruleset does this). I think the only place FG stores quest data is directly in the party sheet, nowhere else. Dragging a link to a story entry just links back to a record in the party sheet.

Might be worth adding a request for separate quest entries (similar to encounter records) in the FG wishlist: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Which is why step 3 was there - to eliminate the duplicate. But yeah, to the wish list I go.

Trenloe
June 29th, 2015, 20:02
Step 3 deletes the original, but when you open the now invalid link it creates a new quest which shows up in the party sheet as this is the only place where quests are anchored in the FG database.

Moon Wizard
June 29th, 2015, 22:31
You can create quest entries within modules, but they would need to be entered directly via XML editing. That's how all the quests are entered for the store modules.

Regards,
JPG

GuardianLurker
June 30th, 2015, 02:31
I figured that, which is why I went to the feature request. I'd rather not sling XML if I have a choice. Just like I'd rather not have to crack open the XML just to add a static reference table/grid.