PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up ugly PDF's for copying and pasting

Nylanfs
June 29th, 2015, 00:12
I just discovered a new use for a PDF viewer I use called PDF Xchange Viewer.

I started looking at the old Shadowrun Missions PDF (https://old.shadowrun4.com/missions/downloads/SRM02-01A_Parliament_of_Thieves.pdf)'s, and the first ones are really, REALLY ugly. Every character is a new sentence, bad columns etc.

But I loaded it up in the program hit the OCR button and it runs through and fixes almost everything. It's pretty sweet.

Thete
June 29th, 2015, 00:52
I just discovered a new use for a PDF viewer I use called PDF Xchange Viewer.

I started looking at the old Shadowrun Missions PDF (https://old.shadowrun4.com/missions/downloads/SRM02-01A_Parliament_of_Thieves.pdf)'s, and the first ones are really, REALLY ugly. Every character is a new sentence, bad columns etc.

But I loaded it up in the program hit the OCR button and it runs through and fixes almost everything. It's pretty sweet.

Great, we need a PDF tips and tricks thread to collect all these incidental work-flow discoveries.

Nylanfs
June 29th, 2015, 01:47
It doesn't fix double spaces, but that's easily fixed in Notepad.

GunnarGreybeard
June 29th, 2015, 05:06
I stumbled upon PDF Xchange Viewer when I first started working with Par5e and found its one of the best out there for getting PDF's cleaned up for use with FG.

chillybilly
June 30th, 2015, 12:58
It doesn't fix double spaces, but that's easily fixed in Notepad.

I JUST discovered this (although the information has been in these forums for a while).

Paste the text into FG and then highlight the block of text and press Control+J. It removes the double space. It's fantastic!

Nylanfs
June 30th, 2015, 14:11
CTRL+J fixes paragraphs but it doesn't fix if there is a " " in place of a " ". :)

TASagent
June 30th, 2015, 14:51
Page source shows your comment correctly, Nylanfs, but it simplifies and collapses whitespace when displaying.

A Code block would preserve it, though.

CTRL+J fixes paragraphs but it doesn't fix if there is a " " in place of a " ".

Nylanfs
June 30th, 2015, 17:01
Grrr, stupid overly smart forum software thinking it knows best. :)