PDA

View Full Version : how to use room furnishings?

ki11erdm
June 28th, 2015, 20:55
What is the best way to pit room furnishings on my maps? Ones that are movable while in combat. As an example I have a hand drawn tavern that I have scanned in and imported into FG and I want to put tables that can be moved around into it... some how...

I assume you use tokens some how but I am not sure what to buy or download or how to import them.

Really only looking for beds, tables, book shelves and basic things like that.

Thanks

Trenloe
June 28th, 2015, 21:24
The best way would be to use tokens. The main issue you'll have is that tokens don't stack very well so they'll get in the way of your PC and NPC tokens on the map. You can use the enhanced images (layers) extension to get around this (put the furniture tokens on the middle layer - which is one of the reasons for the design of the extension): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%28layers%29-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%28and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%29 This extension, however, does have a few limitations and gotchas so be sure to read posts #1 and #2 in the extension thread thoroughly.

You can get a good set of graphics objects that can be used as tokens:

Community member Shockbolt's excellent games master art kits. The tavern art kit would be good for what you describe: https://www.rpgartkits.com/#section-the-tavern-addon-art-kit If you need examples of his amazing work look at the Animal, Characters and Monster tokens that come free (activate as modules) with Fantasy Grounds.
The free (for personal use and non-distribution) CSUAC: https://www.vintyri.org/CSUAC/ Volume 6 is the furniture pack.

You'll need to extract the image files from either source. Resize to something appropriate (50 or 64 pixels per token, depending on the size of the grid you use and how often you zoom in). Then put them in the <FG app data>\tokens\host folder. More info on tokens and their location here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Loading_Locations

ki11erdm
June 28th, 2015, 23:11
Damn. That is solid info. I will work with that for a few days and see where it gets me! Thanks!

WansumBeats
July 13th, 2015, 15:28
Couple things to note, first off extensions is awesome...waiting for FG to incorporate that feature.... If your putting pins on your map you have to go to the bottom layer to click on the pin.... Also If your planning on exporting your work into a module the tokens won't be placed on the map when you open the module in a new campaign.

Trenloe
July 13th, 2015, 17:30
If your putting pins on your map you have to go to the bottom layer to click on the pin....
Referring to the enhanced images (layer) extension. This is only if the PINs were placed originally on the bottom layer, or on a map that was made without the layers extension (i.e. it only ever had the one layer). If you're creating a map yourself while using the layer extension, decide which layer you want to put the pins on.

This is mentioned in the details of the layer extension thread: "Shortcuts (pushpin) that link to campaign entries can be put on any layer - but they are only active (can be selected) on that layer, even though they are viewable on the higher layers. Note: If you open an image from a module that has pushpins these will be visible across all layers but only selectable on the base layer."

Also If your planning on exporting your work into a module the tokens won't be placed on the map when you open the module in a new campaign.
This is standard FG behaviour - token positioning isn't exported to a module, with or without the layer extension.

WansumBeats
July 13th, 2015, 17:46
Gaaaaaaahhhhhhh that moment when you realize you've been doing it the hard way.... I installed extensions after placing the pins on the map.... And could only access them from bottom layer... Haha thanks trenloe!

Also didn't mean to imply that extensions has that effect on tokens. It was just something that happened to me I thought I would point out and am hoping can be fixed at some point

Trenloe
July 13th, 2015, 17:53
Also didn't mean to imply that extensions has that effect on tokens. It was just something that happened to me I thought I would point out and am hoping can be fixed at some point
That's cool. Just clarifying for others reading this thread. :)

Nickademus
July 14th, 2015, 00:12
This is standard FG behaviour - token positioning isn't exported to a module, with or without the layer extension.

It was just something that happened to me I thought I would point out and am hoping can be fixed at some point

From what I gather, it won't be fixed because it's not considered to be broken. I have no idea why SW thinks that tokens on images shouldn't be exported, but that is how it is. At least now you can load the module up in your campaign(s) and place them ahead of time (without them disappearing the next time you update your module).