PDA

View Full Version : NPC/Monster Saving throws

Doc_Jones
June 28th, 2015, 18:13
So I was playing in a session last night on a cleric, and used the sacred flame spell on a targeted enemy. I could see the shadow die for the npc performing their saving throw per the spell, but unless the DM tells me if the npc made their save or not, I have no idea if I need to roll damage. Is there any kind of extension or planned update that would give an indication if the save was made for offensive abilities like this?

Trenloe
June 29th, 2015, 15:26
The NPC rolling a save is classed as a GM roll. So, just like an attack from an NPC the players don't see the result as default.

You can show this roll, and the result (success or failure), to the players via the campaign option "Chat: Show GM rolls". But, this shows all GM rolls - so may be giving away too much information.

If you want to see something specific, perhaps similar to an attack vs AC returning a success/failure but see not all of the GM rolls, then please add this to the FG wishlist: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Zacchaeus
June 29th, 2015, 16:05
So I was playing in a session last night on a cleric, and used the sacred flame spell on a targeted enemy. I could see the shadow die for the npc performing their saving throw per the spell, but unless the DM tells me if the npc made their save or not, I have no idea if I need to roll damage. Is there any kind of extension or planned update that would give an indication if the save was made for offensive abilities like this?

This is how it works and always has worked; in Paper and Pen the DM rolled behind the screen so you didn't get to see the roll then either. Is there any reason why you feel you should see the roll?

epithet
June 29th, 2015, 16:46
When my players are getting the tar kicked out of them, I have upon occasion decreed that an NPC enemy failed a saving throw regardless of its roll. It's about the only way I cheat for my players (there are a handful of ways I cheat against them... shhhhh!) I like the system the way it is.