PDA

View Full Version : Protection from Evil and Good

Zacchaeus
June 28th, 2015, 11:43
For those of you using the Test 3.1.2 version there has been various addition effects added as well as a considerable update to the Wiki.

Joyously an ALIGN condition has been added so the spell mentioned in the header can now be automated with the syntax Protection from Evil and Good; IF: ALIGN (evil); GRANTDISATK:

I just thought I'd share this because, well it's Sunday morning and I have nothing better to do, and it's not one that is mentioned in the examples on the Wiki :)

EDIT: this is almost all rubbish; see below :)

Moon Wizard
June 29th, 2015, 01:45
You might want to check to see if that works for you. I would think it should be IFT to denote the conditional check should be done on other party.

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
June 29th, 2015, 12:30
Ha! In all the excitement I clearly didn't test this enough before posting this. I can't get it to work at all now whatever condition I use :)

Zacchaeus
June 29th, 2015, 13:23
Alright, got it working (because I was misspelling GRANTDISATK :)) and you are absolutely correct Moon (as one would expect). The correct syntax would be IFT rather than IF.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 25th, 2015, 23:17
The first effect is for the creature and the second for the protected target? It will works?

Zacchaeus
July 26th, 2015, 14:22
The first effect is for the creature and the second for the protected target? It will works?

The first one will work if you insert a : after GRANTDISATK the second one won't work until you have corrected the spelling errors :)

But yes, as you can see from this discussion here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25325-IFT-with-IMMUNE-on-conditions) the IMMUNE keyword will work with conditions. In other words if the PC has IMMUNE: frightened then when you try to apply a frightened effect onto the PC it will reject it. Which is all pretty nice indeed.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
July 26th, 2015, 15:02
It is true Zacchaeus, I didn't see I had type wrong...
The idea is put the first effect on the monster and the other effect on the protected character.

Zacchaeus
July 26th, 2015, 15:30
It is true Zacchaeus, I didn't see I had type wrong...
The idea is put the first effect on the monster and the other effect on the protected character.

No, both go on the protected character. The IFT part tests to see whether the NPC attacking the protected character is evil (or whatever) and if so attacks are at disadvantage. If you put it on the NPC then it will work the wrong way around. Only evil enemies attacking the NPC will get disadvantage and the protected character won't benefit.

Trenloe
July 26th, 2015, 15:36
If you put the first effect on the monster then change the IFT to IF.

You're best approach is to have your IFT effect as listed above applied to all creatures who have protection from evil.

You currently can't use IF/IFT conditional effects with conditions (charmed, frightened, etc.) so your second effect could be used as is (except possessed isn't a valid FG condition) but this would give immunity to those conditions for all attacking creatures, not just evil creatures. You're probably best handling the conditions manually and just have the first effect active.

Trenloe
July 26th, 2015, 15:37
Recommendation: try these effects out within your campaign. This is the best way to see if they work or not. It's what I do to answer your questions...

epithet
July 26th, 2015, 17:08
Since this is in the 5e forum, I feel like I should point out that the D&D 5e spell, despite the name, has nothing whatsoever to do with alignment. To implement the Protection from Evil and Good spell effect you would not use the ALIGN tag, you would use the TYPE tag, specifying aberrations, celestials, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead.

What I don't know is whether you can combine all types into one effect, or if you would need an effect for each type.

Zacchaeus
July 26th, 2015, 17:43
Since this is in the 5e forum, I feel like I should point out that the D&D 5e spell, despite the name, has nothing whatsoever to do with alignment. To implement the Protection from Evil and Good spell effect you would not use the ALIGN tag, you would use the TYPE tag, specifying aberrations, celestials, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead.

What I don't know is whether you can combine all types into one effect, or if you would need an effect for each type.

You are. of course correct, it would indeed be the type tag.

The answer to your question is the latter option, because the testing is done solely on an AND bases and not an OR basis. So TYPE(undead, fey) would work if the type was undead AND fey, but we want undead OR fey. So to fully implement this it would need a separate effect for each type.

Wonderbringer
July 26th, 2015, 18:01
You need 6 (7 if you want a reminder noting the immunity) seperate effects to make this work right.

Pro from GnE; IFT: TYPE(aberration); GRANTDISATK;
Pro from GnE; IFT: TYPE(celestial); GRANTDISATK;
Pro from GnE; IFT: TYPE(elemental); GRANTDISATK;
Pro from GnE; IFT: TYPE(fiend); GRANTDISATK;
Pro from GnE; IFT: TYPE(fey); GRANTDISATK;
Pro from GnE; IFT: TYPE(undead); GRANTDISATK;

Zacchaeus
July 26th, 2015, 18:25
You'll need to change those semi colons at the end of each GRANTDISATK to colons, Wonderbringer. :)

You could also have just one such as IFT: TYPE( ); GRANTDISATK: and just fill in the bit between the brackets in the combat tracker once it has been dragged to the PC being protected.

Wonderbringer
July 26th, 2015, 18:48
You don't need anything at the end and it works correctly.