PDA

View Full Version : Color Blind Mode

blackhawk2126
June 28th, 2015, 02:02
This may seem trivial, but could there be a way to add color blind mode for the different kinds of color blindness? I have a friend who plays with us and he is red/green color bind and when you see friends and enemies on the maps, they are red and green and it is very difficult for him to differentiate between friend and foe. Just a way to mandate what pallet is available for the user.

Moon Wizard
June 28th, 2015, 03:01
Most of the graphics have the color built-in to the graphic, so it's actually pretty difficult to change the palette on the icons and frames without a full theme replacement (which is a campaign wide change for GM and players).

Regards,
JPG

blackhawk2126
June 28th, 2015, 03:47
Thank you so much for such a quick response. No matter what, this is a great product and he said he will just have to get used to the differences he can ascertain and other player input.

Blackfoot
July 3rd, 2015, 13:11
My suggestion might be that you use more dramatic differences between 'friendly' and 'enemy' tokens. If all Friendlies are square and all Enemies are round... or something like that.. it'll make it visually obvious.

Nylanfs
July 3rd, 2015, 22:19
But what about frenemies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frenemy)?

Griogre
July 6th, 2015, 23:10
Just kill them, they'll turn on you later.... :)

brautigan1
July 6th, 2015, 23:18
I can sympathize with this. My son is hardcore colorblind. The only colors that need an option for people like my son are combat tracker colors for friends and enemies (shades of grey), and token underlay colors for friends and enemies (again, shades of grey). No other graphics need be bothered with for options. I know he could totally live with other colors. Friends and enemies are the big one (red/green).

kylania
July 6th, 2015, 23:25
Wouldn't have to change the palette, just the icons themselves. Frowny skull face for Enemy. Line mouth for Neutral. Smile for Friendly or something? The colors could stay since the happy/sad/whatevs skull would also show faction.

Blackfoot
July 6th, 2015, 23:48
I can sympathize with this. My son is hardcore colorblind. The only colors that need an option for people like my son are combat tracker colors for friends and enemies (shades of grey), and token underlay colors for friends and enemies (again, shades of grey). No other graphics need be bothered with for options. I know he could totally live with other colors. Friends and enemies are the big one (red/green).
In the meantime.. try my suggestion. Different shaped tokens for friends and enemies.

brautigan1
July 7th, 2015, 00:02
It's a good suggestion, but it doesn't address the combat tracker. Having to read and keep track of all the names can be a pain, and sometimes a GM might change an enemy faction, etc. Anyways, the fact is that FG needs some UI options, anyway. It doesn't have to be color-blind focused, but players and GM's alike should be able to set window colors, text colors, etc. Maybe some day...

Blackfoot
July 7th, 2015, 00:08
It wouldn't be hard to create an extension to modify some of the graphics in the combat tracker.. but the underlays are tough (based on what I've read about underlays for HEX grids).. so you might want to look into something like that. You can replace the graphics for the factions with happier colors... and even tweak the outline colors without too much of an issue at all.

Trenloe
July 7th, 2015, 18:43
Anyways, the fact is that FG needs some UI options, anyway. It doesn't have to be color-blind focused, but players and GM's alike should be able to set window colors, text colors, etc. Maybe some day...
Yeah, these are called extensions - where you can change the underlying UI definition.

These are the graphics from the CoreRPG ruleset that are used for the various friend/foe/neutral/unassigned colours in the Combat Tracker:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/CT%20Friend%20Foe%20PNGs.jpg

An extension could be written that would contain different coloured graphics.

Griogre
July 8th, 2015, 00:38
In the meantime.. try my suggestion. Different shaped tokens for friends and enemies.

@brautigan1: My core extensions alternative Wood and Dungeon themes can make enemies and friends different shapes. Wood makes PCs with circle tokens, Dungeon makes PCs with square tokens. Just use the extension that is different from how your monsters tokens are shaped. IE:

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/TokenMismatchShape_zpsh34yojgg.png

damned
July 8th, 2015, 11:51
brautigan1 try this extension - it changes the underlay for the Enemy, Neutral and Faction actors.
It will show as Colour Blind Combat Tracker in your Extensions list.

Blackfoot
July 8th, 2015, 14:12
brautigan1 try this extension - it changes the underlay for the Enemy, Neutral and Faction actors.
It will show as Colour Blind Combat Tracker in your Extensions list.Just to be clear.. this extension doesn't actually change the faction underlays on maps... it changes the colors for the background colors for the different factions in the Combat Tracker.

damned
July 8th, 2015, 15:40
Just to be clear.. this extension doesn't actually change the faction underlays on maps... it changes the colors for the background colors for the different factions in the Combat Tracker.

Blackfoot - any idea where to find the graphics and code for those? I havent been able to find them. I suspect that it is just using a colour code and transparency setting but I cant even see where that is occurring...

Blackfoot
July 8th, 2015, 15:42
From what I've read.... they aren't located in an area that is accessible to rulesets/extensions. I was hoping to add underlays to HEX grids but that seems to be impossible to do for the moment... modifying the color is likely the same.

Griogre
July 9th, 2015, 18:21
You use to be able to mod the color. I did so on the original version of 3.5 alt wound colors. However, you probably want to add crosshatching of some type for a color blind version and that isn't possible.

Dragonflight
July 11th, 2015, 03:20
Registered just to post here. I came across something called EnChroma a few months ago while browsing something completely unrelated. It's a new technology in filter-glasses that allow someone with red-green blindness to see the full color spectrum. I don't know what they cost, or if they're out of development yet, but if so, your friend might be able to benefit from them.

https://enchroma.com/

I hope this helps.

Nylanfs
September 2nd, 2015, 00:04
And this just came out.

https://www.sciencefriday.com/video/09/01/2015/a-cure-for-the-colorblindness-blues.html

SkyRanger
April 14th, 2021, 06:54
Most of the graphics have the color built-in to the graphic, so it's actually pretty difficult to change the palette on the icons and frames without a full theme replacement (which is a campaign wide change for GM and players).

Regards,
JPG

I think you are missing the request. Its not the color pallet of the icons, its the color of the highlights. This also applies to the "health dots" overlaid into the icons.

Some games will allow you to swap out the Red-Green with Yellow-Purple. This allows people with Red/Green colorblindness to differentiate between the 2 colors.