PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from a new user...

brautigan1
June 27th, 2015, 03:24
Well, I'm not sure a suggestion thread is probably the best way to introduce myself, but I'll take my chances.

First off... I'm loving this software. A lot. I've raved about it online in various places, etc. It deserves it. The work and love that's gone into this boggles my mind. So, my first thought as a new user is simply "thank you."

My second thought, after having spent a hardcore week learning everything I can about Fantasy Grounds, is that it has much pore potential, especially when it comes to effects. As I've learned what effects can do for automating the more tedius aspects of a game, I've often found myself with a goofy smile on my face. Then, as I learned more about what effects can NOT do, I've found myself scratching my head pretty hard.

Why limit effect triggers to only "constant" or "rolls?" Triggers such as "Start of turn," "Start of Round," "On hit," "On receive hit" "On cast" etc, etc, would do so, so much for Fantasy Grounds. And what about triggers for the removal of effects other than simply duration? It's nice that effects disappear after rounds, but how about concentration as an effect that is removed "on hit," or "On cast concentration," for example? With all the rulesets out there, doing this for every one might be one hell of a daunting task, but how about just focusing on 5e, now? It's the future. It's bringing RPG-love back in a big way. Opportunity is a-knockin'.

I understand that too much automation can actually take some of the fun out of TT gaming, and that understanding the mechanics of what is happening in a game is very important to immersion. But I believe the real magic in RPG gaming comes from RP and decision making. Fantasy Grounds already makes that much easier once everyone has a handle on things, but why not take it further? From a new, excited user, the "effects" mechanics of Fantasy Grounds are, imo, THE #1 thing to expand upon.

Also, the lack of UI options is a little meh. I'd really love to be able to change text color, window color, etc, without getting into XML files and what-not. Frankly, the default frame color/text color for the hotkey bar makes it annoyingly hard to read. Editing text there is pretty un-fun, also, btw.

Other than those two things that I care about, and that I think other new users will care about, let me bring up one more thing that I do NOT care about (at all), but other potential users (especially the younger set) probably does care about: appearance.

When I went searching for a VTT, I looked around. I looked at several options, and ended up somewhere else that I won't mention. Let's just say it's very popular, and that's WHY I ended up there.

Frankly, this website needs a makeover. There's another, better example, of how to present yourself. In fact, as I mentioned, I was "there." The whole Steam thing must be a great, great step up. I'm sure it helps a ton. But half of those people on Steam are probably coming here before DLing, and going, "meh, let me look around first." I realize all of that sounds a bit insulting to a lot of folks who've spent a lot of time here and have a lot of love for the place... but... sorry?

Anyway, again, thank you for this awesomeness. Really enjoying it, and keep up the great work in any case! :)

Moon Wizard
June 27th, 2015, 05:25
Thanks for the feedback. It's always good to get everyone's impressions after coming up to speed.

As always, it's a constant battle of user requests vs business needs vs future planning. But, we are definitely listening.

Cheers,
JPG

brautigan1
June 27th, 2015, 05:40
No prob. I'm sure you guys are all kinds of busy. Probably sucks a lot of the fun out of the whole thing having to think about so many mundane aspects on the business side. Thanks for listening.

damned
June 27th, 2015, 07:37
some really good points there brautigan1 - and welcome back!