PDA

View Full Version : Issues with connection over the same network

leef
June 25th, 2015, 22:31
Everything seems to be fine people can connect through the alias and i can connect using local host. But when my gf on the same network tries to connect using the internal IP we get failed connection every time no matter what we do.

Trenloe
June 25th, 2015, 23:17
Sounds like there is a firewall/anti-virus app on your gf's computer that is blocking the Fantasy Grounds connection.

leef
June 25th, 2015, 23:36
I turned off her windows firewall, let me go make sure that she has no anti virus on too.

leef
June 25th, 2015, 23:47
All her firewalls are off and port 1802 is open. When i run the connection test on my pc it says success, Hers fails as soon as i hit the button.

Moon Wizard
June 26th, 2015, 01:26
Only the machine hosting the game needs to test successfully. In fact, 2 machines on same network can not host a game at the same time (without third party VPN software).

If your GF's computer is on same network, make sure she is connecting via the internal IP reported by the GM machine (not the external IP or alias).

Regards,
JPG

damned
June 26th, 2015, 01:28
players dont need to run the test.
the test is only for GMs.

is she running the latest version - click the check for updates button.
do you get any errors on GM machine when she tries to connect?

JohnD
June 26th, 2015, 02:10
You aren't using the same product key for both are you?

leef
June 26th, 2015, 04:12
I hit the update button and it re launched the program but when i put in the internal key it gave the same error i have been getting. Could not connect to host. check connection.

i am doing my first time DM i bought ultimate she has free. she missed out first session but the game went fine with the 3 other players joining form the alias.

All of her firewalls and security are off and she can connect fine to other people external we just get this issue when trying to connect her to my game I have not yet tried joining a game she is hosting.

Nylanfs
June 26th, 2015, 04:36
Double check on her system and make sure that you don't have a license key in the settings. If there is remove it and restart FG.

leef
June 26th, 2015, 05:32
Her license key is blank.

Trenloe
June 26th, 2015, 05:55
Launch your GM FG and check that it says "v3.1.1 Ultimate" in the top right hand corner on the main splash screen.

Try to connect from her computer and then check the console.log file in her <FG app data> directory. Check that it is listing the correct internal IP address for your GM computer.

Are you both on the same local network? i.e. one computer isn't on a wireless connection provided by a different wireless router/access point? Do both computers have the same IP address range - something like 192.168.0.XX?

leef
June 26th, 2015, 20:17
I have ultimate for sure, here is a screenshot of it and my internal ip. 10345

I attempted to connect from her pc and failed in the log it says attempting connection to 192.168.56.1:1802

then it says failed to connect check connection.

i really don't understand other people can connect fine, and we can both connect to other games fine. I blame AT&T. :mad:

kane280484
June 26th, 2015, 20:36
open cmd and make her /tracert to your pc

leef
June 26th, 2015, 20:49
/tracert is not a recognized command.

kane280484
June 26th, 2015, 21:02
My bad, tracert, without the "/"

Trenloe
June 26th, 2015, 21:21
I have ultimate for sure, here is a screenshot of it and my internal ip. 10345

I attempted to connect from her pc and failed in the log it says attempting connection to 192.168.56.1:1802

then it says failed to connect check connection.

i really don't understand other people can connect fine, and we can both connect to other games fine. I blame AT&T. :mad:

192.168.56.1 sounds like you have virtual machine software (VMware, VirtualBox, etc. - probably VirtualBox) installed on the PC. A xx.yy.zz.1 IP address is usually not assigned directly to a computer, this is normally a router (or part of a virtual machine setup). Unfortunately, the computer operating system can cause Fantasy Grounds to pick up virtual networks such as these as the internal address - purely due to how your computer handles networks, not because the FG code is doing something wrong.

Open a command prompt and type ipconfig you will probably see a number of different network devices, look for an IP address that is something like 192.168.0.XX or 192.168.1.XX - use this to connect to Fantasy Grounds.

leef
June 26th, 2015, 21:23

looks like 1-5 worked then the rest timed out.

leef
June 26th, 2015, 21:27
192.168.56.1 sounds like you have virtual machine software (VMware, VirtualBox, etc. - probably VirtualBox) installed on the PC. A xx.yy.zz.1 IP address is usually not assigned directly to a computer, this is normally a router (or part of a virtual machine setup). Unfortunately, the computer operating system can cause Fantasy Grounds to pick up virtual networks such as these as the internal address - purely due to how your computer handles networks, not because the FG code is doing something wrong.

Open a command prompt and type ipconfig you will probably see a number of different network devices, look for an IP address that is something like 192.168.0.XX or 192.168.1.XX - use this to connect to Fantasy Grounds.

IT WORKED! the virtual OS was screwing with FG. THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH! i used the IP i found in the ip config under my local area connection IPV4 and it worked!

Trenloe
June 26th, 2015, 22:37
IT WORKED! the virtual OS was screwing with FG. THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH! i used the IP i found in the ip config under my local area connection IPV4 and it worked!
Fantastic. Glad we got there in the end. :)