PDA

View Full Version : Scrolls

Karykzen
June 25th, 2015, 03:31
Here are some questions that came up with scroll casting:

What we can figure out:
If you have spellcasting, you can cast spells from scrolls that fall into (i.e. they are on your list of spells).
Rogues at higher level have Use Magical Device.

Questions are:

1) Can non-caster use scrolls?
2) What is the DC for a scroll that is a higher level than you can cast?
3) What is the Use Magical Device DC if different from 2?

Basically we are trying to figure out how scrolls work. If you can site the sections n the PHB or DMG, that would be great too.

Thanks,

Karykzen
June 25th, 2015, 04:09
Here are some questions that came up with scroll casting:

What we can figure out:
If you have spellcasting, you can cast spells from scrolls that fall into (i.e. they are on your list of spells).
Rogues at higher level have Use Magical Device.

Questions are:

1) Can non-caster use scrolls?
2) What is the DC for a scroll that is a higher level than you can cast?
3) What is the Use Magical Device DC if different from 2?

Basically we are trying to figure out how scrolls work. If you can site the sections n the PHB or DMG, that would be great too.

Thanks,

Think I answered some of my questions. On Page 200 of the DMG.

WhtZombie
June 25th, 2015, 04:20
1. In one particular case; DMG page 139 Sub-heading SCROLLS "Any creature that can understand a written language can read the arcane script on a scrolls and attempt to use it." Further reading indicates there are two types of scrolls; Spell and Protection. Protection scrolls [DMG pg 199] have no qualifiers to using them, Spell scrolls on the other hand do. DMG page 200: "A spell scroll bears the words of a single spell, written in a mystical cipher. If the spell is on your class's spell list you can use an action to read the scroll and cast its spell without having to provide any of the spell's components. Otherwise, the scroll is unintelligible. If the spell is on your class's spell list but of a higher level than you can normally cast, you must make an ability check using your spellcasting ability to determine whether you cast it successfully. The DC equals 10 + spell's level. On a failed check, the spell disappears from the scroll with no other effect."
2. As mentioned above The DC equals 10 + spell's level. And "the level of the spell on the scroll determines the spell's saving throw DC and attack bonus, ..."
3. I think you are talking in relation to the Rogue's Use Magic Device.. If so you do not have to worry about that. According to Jeremy Crawford, Codesigner and Managing Editor of fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons, answering a tweet "The intent is that Use Magic Device does allow a rogue to try to use a scroll." https://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/12/05/use-magic-device-and-scroll/
Hope that clears things up for you.