PDA

View Full Version : NPC Trait Magic Resistance - How do I code this effect manually?

Zetesofos
June 24th, 2015, 06:31
Greetings fellow FG users,

I'm just getting back into FG, and really excited for all the additional automation.

I have a question about a trait a few enemies have, particularly the Yuan-Ti I plan to use in an upcoming game.

For now, I'm just looking to see if there is a way to automate the feature: Magic Resistance (i.e. when a player uses a 'spell' power, the npc will automatically roll their saving throw with advantage).

In particular, I'm curious if I can automate this feature just within the FG system (I only just saw information on PAR5E, and will look at it later, but don't have time right now)

Any help available?

Zacchaeus
June 24th, 2015, 09:33
Welcome back.

What you want to do can be done but it isn't currently a feature of Fantasy Grounds. What you will need to do is install the optional conditions extension from here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22975-5E-Community-extensions.

Once you've done that then you can set up an effect using the IF: and IFT: keywords. You can find more information about effects on the Wiki https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page and also how to set up this kind of thing in this discussion https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22803-Channel-Divinity-Paladin-Vow-of-Emnity-Effect

Also have a good look through TASAgents guide stickied above https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24644-Advanced-Fantasy-Grounds-Usage-5E-Ruleset-Edition. It's not specifically about this but it's well worth a read through.

Trenloe
June 24th, 2015, 15:03
In particular, I'm curious if I can automate this feature just within the FG system (I only just saw information on PAR5E, and will look at it later, but don't have time right now)
PAR5E is not used for creating things like this - it's used for creating library reference/adventure modules.

You'll want to learn how to use effects: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

There are plenty of threads in the forums describing how to use effects, which are active only in the combat tracker and apply to the result of rolls.

epithet
June 24th, 2015, 15:35
I believe the best way to handle your issue currently is to simply re-roll (once) any failed save vs. magic against the creature with resistance. If the creature fails the second save, move along as normal. If the creature makes the second save, tell your player "That spell should have worked, but it didn't. For reasons that are not readily apparent to [Character], the spell fizzled." Then control-drag the damage over to the creature to reverse it, or remove the effect applied by the spell from the creature in the combat tracker.

Think of it as an opportunity to take a small victory away from your greedy players, who really exist only to wreck and pillage everything you've spent the time and effort to build for them.

Moon Wizard
June 24th, 2015, 20:33
I've been looking at magic resistance on and off. The concern I've hard every time I've started to implement is how to determine what specifically is considered "magic" for magic resistance.

Within the PC record, the PC can have many abilities that can trigger rolls, not all of which are considered magic. (i.e. dragonborn breath weapon vs. fireball)
Within the NPC record, I could not find a definitive answer as to whether an ability is considered magic when used vs. magic resistance unless it specifically stated.

It seems that there is just enough ambiguity around what is considered "magic" that has prevented me from attempted an implementation.

Perhaps this has been clarified in the last few months? If someone has more info, please let me know.

Regards,
JPG

Zetesofos
June 25th, 2015, 02:41
Yeah, from what I can see, what is needed is to have or designate incoming actions as magic or not - to do that manually would be rather pointless as present; does anyone know if actions cast as spells by either PC's or NPC's have a special modifier one could work with though?

Zacchaeus
June 25th, 2015, 13:11
Moon, I don't think there is a global meaning of what constitutes magic for the purposes of magic resistance. It seems to me that many creatures have some kind of magic resistance but this is described as a creature ability. Each creature with such resistance then has a further entry which describes what kind of resistance it has. Most commonly this gives the creature advantage on saving throws against spells or magical effects. Giving the creature advantage is easily enough done at the moment with the ADV button. I would think that trying to code all of the possibilities would be a fairly arduous task.

Nylanfs
June 25th, 2015, 14:45
in 35e if it was a supernatural ability it was magical, but that designation was eliminated with 5e.

Zetesofos
June 25th, 2015, 22:23
Looking at the Fg effects wiki, the main thing they could add would be a sort of damage type indocator to the SAVE, ADVSAV, and DISSAV commands the same way resist and immune have subtypes. This would allow triggers for things like fey ancestry. Dwarven resilience, or spell resistance as well