PDA

View Full Version : I'm running a test of HoDQ- Help

crb31
June 24th, 2015, 01:40
I have my DM FG open and running. I then on the same computer try to connect with a client on the same PC I'm able to do it.
I then, on the client (PC) instance of FG open up the PHB- no problem and then I try to open up HoDQ and I get a Runtime Error: Exception bad allocation.
The reason I am trying to open the HoDQ is for the backgrounds and feats specific to HoDQ.
If I drag the Background link to the Chat column- it shows up but on the Player screen it comes up blank saying I need to load the HoDQ.
Thank for the help in advance.
Grumble...Grumble...Now it seems to be working fine.

damned
June 24th, 2015, 14:31
crb31 do not share whole modules with players. you will have issues and there is no way to stop players from reading more than you intended them to.
if the backgrounds are not easily shareable with the players - put it in as a bug/feature request.

Have fun!

crb31
June 24th, 2015, 15:09
...Hmm... I went against my better judgment and was patient with my 'client' setting. After a minute or two I was then able to open and use the hooks and feats. You address a concern I had PC's getting more info than they should which actually spoils the game for everyone- so I will be careful with this!
Cal

epithet
June 24th, 2015, 15:25
Often there is some lag time when sharing records with player clients. If you're having an issue with a player client being able to view a record shared from the DM host, often the first thing to do is wait a couple of minutes to see if it sorts itself out. Even when connecting with a localhost, I think you're creating a unique data set for the player client user name, so you might have to wait for it to populate to the client even though the record is hosted from the same machine.

Sometimes, it's lightning fast. Other times, not so much. I suspect that it has to do with how many other tasks the software is performing at any given moment, since FG doesn't multithread yet, but there are others here much more qualified than I to speculate on that issue.

Trenloe
June 24th, 2015, 15:39
When you share a module with the players and they open it (or you force load it) the whole module is downloaded to the player computer and loaded in Fantasy Grounds. For some modules, especially the full D&D 5E modules, this is a lot of data to transfer and can take some time. It also takes up a lot of memory which can cause crashes/allocation errors.

Sharing the PHB is fine. Don't give players direct access to any of the adventure modules. Set Module Availability (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Library#Module_Availability) to "Block" to be sure. If you have allowed access to an adventure module previously in your campaign, set it to "block" and get all of the players to clear their cache before joining your game - if they don't clear the cache it will load up the previously downloaded version and you could still have issues.

Then, when you want to give players access to information in the adventure module share the individual items to them - either right-click and select share, or click/drag the link for the object to the player portrait.

crb31
June 24th, 2015, 18:25
Got it. I still need to play around with FG to get it figured out.