PDA

View Full Version : DCC RPG Ruleset

Pages : [1] 2 3

leozelig
June 24th, 2015, 00:43
Behold, for your gaming enjoyment...

Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG Ruleset (Unlicensed) (https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpxyvzcz8t2pj6o/DCCRPG%20-%20FINAL%20UNOFFICIAL.pak?dl=0)

Current version: 3.0.8 (compatible with CoreRPG 3.3.7)
Last updated: January 16, 2019

User Guide (https://www.dropbox.com/s/8yjoh17w2wab321/DCCRPG%20User%20Guide.pdf?dl=0)

Good luck...

khersheyjr
June 24th, 2015, 01:05
awesome. Can't wait to dig in and check it out.

damned
June 24th, 2015, 14:38
Well done leozelig!
I hope it gets some good use - youve done a lot of work on this!

hawkwind
June 25th, 2015, 07:21
looks good, I suggest that any one running it uses google hangouts for comms as you can share a window on your computer with everyone in the hangout so you can run this web based app https://purplesorcerer.com/crawler/crawler.htm and look up then copy and paste criticals and spell effects

leozelig
June 25th, 2015, 11:39
looks good, I suggest that any one running it uses google hangouts for comms as you can share a window on your computer with everyone in the hangout so you can run this web based app https://purplesorcerer.com/crawler/crawler.htm and look up then copy and paste criticals and spell effects

Almost forgot about that... Since I do not have permission to create modules for this ruleset, the crawler app is a great idea. You can basically play DCC RPG without purchasing the rulebook.

hawkwind
June 25th, 2015, 12:18
strange goodman games are ok about the app but were shirty about you using any content

leozelig
June 26th, 2015, 12:21
I don't know what they were thinking with the crawler's companion, especially since it's free.

A graphics extension with a DCC theme would be cool if anyone is artistically inclined.

leozelig
July 18th, 2015, 12:51
List of updates for v1.1 (available with FG 3.1.2):

Bug Fixes:

NPC willpower saving throws were not applying the modifier when rolled from the combat tracker.
When more than one creature was targeted, spell checks were rolling individually for each target.
For spell checks, targeted creatures were not removed after a successful saving throw when the 'remove on miss' option was selected.
Combat tracker effects with additional dice (e.g. DMG: 2d6) produced a script error.

Features:

Weapons dropped into the inventory from the 'Items' list automatically populate the weapon list on the Combat tab. Deleting these weapons from the inventory also removes them from the weapon list.
The ammo counter updates automatically after each ranged attack roll.
A saving throw cycler was added to spell details. When a save is indicated for the spell, targeted creatures will automatically roll a saving throw against a successful spell check.
Resting overnight restores ability damage, resets the disapproval range, and recovers lost spells. Taking a short rest advances time by 1 turn and clears all initiatives.

damned
July 18th, 2015, 12:56
Nice work Mr Zelig.

leozelig
August 1st, 2015, 04:26
DCCRPG has been updated with the release of FG v3.1.2. See bug fixes and new features in post #8 above.

damned
August 1st, 2015, 05:35
leozelig are you playing/running a campaign with this?

leozelig
August 1st, 2015, 11:18
Not at the moment. I have been busy playing 5E lately, but I will definitely run some DCC RPG for the next FG Con.

leozelig
August 8th, 2015, 16:37
For the next update, I have automated the deed die roll for attacks. So, if your class is warrior or dwarf and you have specified a deed die on the character sheet, this die will be included in your attack roll (green die). You can still roll it separately if you want. After rolling damage, the deed die result is cleared from the db. I am working on one or two other ideas, so expect an update later in the month.

leozelig
August 8th, 2015, 16:40
Deed die in action.

Trenloe
August 8th, 2015, 20:14
Deed die in action.
Coo-el. :)

leozelig
August 9th, 2015, 20:44
I have added a Main tab to the Party Sheet for the next release. I also removed the Calendar from the desktop, which wasn't really relevant to the world of DCC. I am thinking about tweaking the skills list so that CT effects will work with skills, but that's a bit more work.

Trenloe
August 9th, 2015, 21:24
You're doing some great work with this ruleset!

I also removed the Calendar from the desktop, which wasn't really relevant to the world of DCC.
I'm interested in the design decision around this. Removing functionality that might be useful from the ruleset when it's not clashing with anything might not be the way to go. OK, so perhaps the calendars that come with FG aren't relevant to the DCC world, but this doesn't prevent someone from making a DCC appropriate module. It's also possible that people might be using DCC to run a campaign in a world where a FG calendar can be used.

I'm just thinking that someone who's using the DCC ruleset might want to use the calendar. It's a tiny button on the desktop and it's not interfering with anything, so why not leave it there? :)

leozelig
August 9th, 2015, 21:33
I'm interested in the design decision around this. Removing functionality that might be useful from the ruleset when it's not clashing with anything might not be the way to go. OK, so perhaps the calendars that come with FG aren't relevant to the DCC world, but this doesn't prevent someone from making a DCC appropriate module. It's also possible that people might be using DCC to run a campaign in a world where a FG calendar can be used.

True, it doesn't hurt to leave it in. I didn't think it was really providing an essential function, but maybe I am imposing my own bias there. The thought first occurred to me while looking at screenshots of other rulesets for custom graphics ideas. I noticed that a few of them did not have a calendar. These might be older versions, but it got me thinking about whether I really needed it. Maybe when I have some time, I will dig the files out of the recycle bin :)

Trenloe
August 9th, 2015, 21:59
Maybe when I have some time, I will dig the files out of the recycle bin :)
Oh, so you haven't built this as a layered ruleset on top of CoreRPG? You've created your ruleset from editing CoreRPG directly and adding the DCC specific code?

leozelig
August 9th, 2015, 22:29
Oh, so you haven't built this as a layered ruleset on top of CoreRPG? You've created your ruleset from editing CoreRPG directly and adding the DCC specific code?

Correct. Started with CoreRPG and added the DCC specific code, throwing in bits of 3.5E along the way. With 3.5E, I mostly borrowed functions and edited to suit my needs - I don't think I have any 3.5E files that remain completely intact, although several of my DCC file names match their 3.5E counterparts.

What are the advantages of layering, besides a smaller ruleset download and CoreRPG updates being automatically incorporated? If it's not too much of a disaster now, I might try to do that with a future update... DCCRPG v2.0!

Trenloe
August 9th, 2015, 23:32
What are the advantages of layering, besides a smaller ruleset download and CoreRPG updates being automatically incorporated?
Those are the main two. It might not seem much now, but CoreRPG keeps adding more functionality and it can soon make your ruleset look dated. I have this issue with the Star Wars: Edge of the Empire ruleset - it's missing a lot of good stuff from CoreRPG and will only continue to miss out over time...

damned
August 9th, 2015, 23:59
But on the flip side - it means you can *stop* development when real life takes over and your ruleset still works...

leozelig
August 10th, 2015, 00:16
And I thought I was running out of things to do! Where can I get more info on layering a ruleset? I understand the basic idea from looking at 3.5E code.

More info here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19530-Ruleset-layering-summary

cas206
August 10th, 2015, 01:29
First off, thanks! I just became aware of DCC at Gen Con.

What is the box to the right of the Lucky Roll description line for? My first guess was that it was the Luck modifier. However, it doesn't seem to be connected to the Luck score/modifier. Is it a user counter of some sort for information purposes?

leozelig
August 10th, 2015, 03:51
First off, thanks! I just became aware of DCC at Gen Con.

What is the box to the right of the Lucky Roll description line for? My first guess was that it was the Luck modifier. However, it doesn't seem to be connected to the Luck score/modifier. Is it a user counter of some sort for information purposes?

You are on the right track. More specifically, it is your lucky roll modifier. If you look at page 19 of the rulebook, it states that "the lucky roll modifier does not change over time as the character’s Luck changes." That's the main reason I separated the two. I will add a tooltip that displays when you hover with your mouse so it is less ambiguous.

leozelig
August 10th, 2015, 04:04
I just found a weird bug - the armor check penalty resets to 0 every time the campaign is loaded. Fixed for the next update, which will be soon. I am going to leave the skills alone for now. I like the simplicity, even if it requires a little more manual control.

cas206
August 11th, 2015, 03:43
You are on the right track. More specifically, it is your lucky roll modifier. If you look at page 19 of the rulebook, it states that "the lucky roll modifier does not change over time as the character’s Luck changes." That's the main reason I separated the two. I will add a tooltip that displays when you hover with your mouse so it is less ambiguous.

Ah! Got it. Thanks.

leozelig
August 12th, 2015, 01:17
DCCRPG v1.2 is now available.

[BUG FIX] Armor check penalty was resetting to 0 on reload.
[FEATURE] Deed die is automatically included in attack and damage rolls for warriors and dwarves if a deed die is specified on the character sheet.
[FEATURE] Party sheet main tab added with basic PC stats. The GM can roll group ability checks, saving throws, and attacks from this tab.

leozelig
August 15th, 2015, 17:04
DCCRPG v1.3 will be available later today. The ruleset is now layered on top of CoreRPG. I have not re-tested every feature, so let me know if you encounter any bugs.

I made one small change for improved critical threat range... When two-weapon fighting is checked in the combat basics section, the improved critical threat range no longer displays in the attack roll message (i.e. [CRIT 19]). The mechanic was functioning properly, but the chat message was misleading.

leozelig
September 6th, 2015, 13:04
The next update is coming soon. I changed the graphics to match the 5E ruleset, and I made the character sheets and combat tracker resizable. Some frames on the character sheet are still a fixed size, so if you see something that you think needs to stretch, let me know.

I am working on acquiring a desktop background that I think fans of DCC will appreciate... ;)

leozelig
September 8th, 2015, 23:35
DCCRPG v1.4 is available (linked in first post). I am attaching some screenshots since this was mainly a graphics update. Nothing new with the desktop background... yet.

leozelig
September 8th, 2015, 23:37
NPC and combat tracker screenshots...

Nylanfs
September 9th, 2015, 00:53
Any word from Goodman?

leozelig
September 9th, 2015, 03:25
Any word from Goodman?

Yes, a few months ago he said it was ok to share the ruleset, but I had to remove the logos and the demon skull desktop decal. This is not an official product and contains no rulebook material. I added the content shown in the screenshots.

I am hoping to have a desktop decal within a couple months, something unique but clearly recognizable as DCC.

leozelig
September 26th, 2015, 16:17
I updated DCCRPG v1.4 with a few bug fixes...

Script error generated when dropping NPCs into the combat tracker.
When option "CT: NPC hit points" was set to Random, the minimum hit point result was 0 instead of 1.
Locking the NPC sheet did not lock the action dice and crit die/table fields.

I plan to have a cool desktop decal available for the next update! I think even non-DCC fans will enjoy it...

damned
September 26th, 2015, 16:23
Keep up the great work leozelig!

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/fgcon7-banner5.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 7 – Fright Night! October 16-18th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

GunnarGreybeard
September 26th, 2015, 16:34
I'll probably never get the chance to learn another system anytime soon with all the stuff I have on plate but I gotta say that character sheet is sweet, nice and clean!

leozelig
September 27th, 2015, 01:54
Thanks, Gunnar! DCC is a fun system, maybe some day :)

FlightlessScotsman
September 30th, 2015, 07:21
This is fantastic. BRP is my system of choice for long campaigns, but DCC is my go to for one-shots and gonzo diversions. Can't wait to give this a whirl.

leozelig
September 30th, 2015, 11:04
This is fantastic. BRP is my system of choice for long campaigns, but DCC is my go to for one-shots and gonzo diversions. Can't wait to give this a whirl.

Let me know if you encounter any issues. I am working on a new desktop decal, so look for an update by the end of the weekend!

FlightlessScotsman
October 3rd, 2015, 03:52
Let me know if you encounter any issues. I am working on a new desktop decal, so look for an update by the end of the weekend!

So far so good. I probably won't get a chance to do a proper playtest with a live group, but I haven't noticed anything goofy. Good job!

leozelig
October 6th, 2015, 00:43
I posted the updated ruleset with the new desktop decal.

Enjoy!

damned
October 6th, 2015, 05:35
I posted the updated ruleset with the new desktop decal.

Enjoy!

You should post a few more screenies with DCC art as that seemed to pique the DCC crowds interest a little?

leozelig
October 7th, 2015, 12:04
Good idea - do you mean in the G+ community?

Naron5
October 13th, 2015, 01:18
I have upgraded and am raring to go for next game. I must remember to send you feedback...

leozelig
October 13th, 2015, 01:51
Yes, definitely send me any bugs or feature requests... Hope you have fun!

leozelig
October 25th, 2015, 20:26
Updated ruleset to v1.6 with a couple of bug fixes:

Critical hit range was not calculating correctly for warriors and dwarves when rolling an attack die other than d20.
Effects that raise or lower the attack die (entangled, squeezing, etc.) were not functioning.

You can download the updated ruleset here (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG.pak).

leozelig
October 29th, 2015, 06:06
A couple more fixes for v1.6:

Spell description (linked by shortcut) generated a script error when opened and did not display fields.
Critical hit and fumble dice results were incorrectly set to a minimum value of 1.

leozelig
November 1st, 2015, 14:18
Updated to v1.7 with a bug fix and a couple minor enhancements:

Deed die bonus not applying to the damage roll.
Added action die description to attack and spell check rolls: [ATTACK (M)] Longsword [B][d20]...
Created a modifier for the deed die, which applies for warriors and dwarves at levels 7-10.
Removed [DEED +#] from the attack/damage roll messages for warriors and dwarves to reduce clutter.
Simplified code for automatic adjustment of the attack die based on effects.
Added a few tooltips on the character sheet for clarification.

Most of these fixes are related to automating the "mighty deed of arms" bonus a couple versions back. Then, when I fixed the critical hit determination code, I somehow removed the code that stores the result of the deed die roll for application to the damage roll. I guess it's a good thing in the end, because I did not realize that higher-level warriors and dwarves actually have a fixed number modifier to the deed die, which was easy enough to include.

If anyone actually uses this ruleset besides me, let me know if I have missed anything. :)

leozelig
November 21st, 2015, 21:52
Updated to v1.8 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG.pak)

Moved the luck ability score to the bottom row of the character sheet below intelligence, which seems to be the convention for most printed character sheets (but not the sheets created by Goodman Games).
Fixed critical hit calculations for action dice below d20.
Thief skills and other class abilities from the rulebook automatically apply the appropriate ability score modifier(s) and armor check penalty.
Added SKILL modifier for the combat tracker.
Language list moved to the abilities tab of the character sheet.
Several languages added for the language feature in the chat window.
Armor check penalty now applies to the spell check roll for wizards and elves.

* For those intrepid souls who have been running previous versions of this ruleset, the language list for existing PCs will be empty. The host can find these in the db.xml file for each PC as <languages> if players do not remember what they are. I was not motivated enough to write a script for the conversion, sorry...

I have not updated the user guide in awhile - post here if you have any questions.

GunnarGreybeard
November 23rd, 2015, 19:42
I hope to be poking around in this a lot more once I get my rulebook. For now I have little clue how this system really works.

leozelig
November 24th, 2015, 01:19
I want to make some video tutorials if I can find the time. I think you get the current edition pdf right away - I will probably organize a one-shot in December, maybe you can take it for a spin!

GunnarGreybeard
November 24th, 2015, 05:23
I've been messing with the ruleset some already. Did you want me to PM you with any bugs/issues I encounter or post here?

benjihad
November 24th, 2015, 23:42
I've been having issues getting characters to "understand" languages. I added the language spoken to the character sheet that matches what's setup on the Settings panel. However, when attempting any chat, "understood by:" is always blank. Anyone having better luck getting this functionality to work and could nudge me along on setting it up proper? Thanks.

leozelig
November 25th, 2015, 11:20
I've been having issues getting characters to "understand" languages. I added the language spoken to the character sheet that matches what's setup on the Settings panel. However, when attempting any chat, "understood by:" is always blank. Anyone having better luck getting this functionality to work and could nudge me along on setting it up proper? Thanks.

I will check it out. This is a layered ruleset on CoreRPG, but it's very possible that I am missing some code to make it work. If anyone knows what files are necessary for the full language functionality, let me know.

GunnarGreybeard
November 25th, 2015, 14:02
Hmm, seems to be working for me. I added a language from the GM side, added that language to the PC sheet and typed some text.

Trenloe
November 25th, 2015, 14:58
I've been having issues getting characters to "understand" languages. I added the language spoken to the character sheet that matches what's setup on the Settings panel. However, when attempting any chat, "understood by:" is always blank.
Did you have a player connected and a PC selected (i.e. the PC portrait showing in the top left of the desktop)? The language functionality only works for currently selected PCs, there's no need for it to check unselected PCs for translation of text.

leozelig
November 26th, 2015, 00:59
It works for me too, but only if I connect as a PC (server 'localhost'). Thanks for the assist, Trenloe and Gunnar :)

benjihad
November 27th, 2015, 01:23
Yeah, that was the issue I was having, had a client connect, selected a character, and then it worked for that character. I thought the language function was tied to the current chat "voice" used as well as the characters selected.

I probably should've posted this over on the language extension thread, I'm all over the place this week, woops. Thanks for all of your help with using these great tools, keep up the great work! @leozelig & @Trenloe

leozelig
November 28th, 2015, 20:59
The update to v1.8 created a script error for items - now fixed. You will need to re-download the ruleset if your initial download was between 11/21-11/28.

GunnarGreybeard
November 29th, 2015, 08:32
I just got my copy of DCC printed out so once I get through it a little I can poke around with this some more.

Kinda OT: I love the roll 3d6, assign in order, that's old school awesomeness!

damned
November 29th, 2015, 09:32
I just got my copy of DCC printed out so once I get through it a little I can poke around with this some more.

Kinda OT: I love the roll 3d6, assign in order, that's old school awesomeness!

Isnt that like 440pages or similar? Crazy dude!

leozelig
November 29th, 2015, 12:51

Yep, that's one reason I have the digital version!

Gunnar, I am also a big fan of the 3d6 in order method. Playing a low ability score can be just as fun, but of course you can always reroll. Some players are turned off by that... The monsters in the published modules are mostly unique, so you don't really know how tough it is or what exactly it's all about. DCC is not afraid to send a low level party into another plane or dimension, and it has been known to mix genres at times, so the weirdness of it all is really great.

GunnarGreybeard
November 29th, 2015, 12:54
488 pages to be exact . . 2/3 of it is spell stuff though and a bunch of old school style jokes/art. ;-)

ImaTarget
December 2nd, 2015, 21:48
I just recently discovered DCC and am happy to see a ruleset for FG. Cheers!

leozelig
January 2nd, 2016, 22:12
Updated to v1.85 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG.pak) with a very small addition:

Added "Action Dice" text field to the Main tab of the character sheet.

Have fun!

FlightlessScotsman
January 15th, 2016, 22:46
Thanks so much for taking the time to build this ruleset and keep improving it.

FlightlessScotsman
January 15th, 2016, 23:57
I was going to add one note on Skills. It looks like you have a d20 hardcoded. If you note on pg 66 of the rules untrained skills are made with a d10 and trained/occupation skills are with a d20. Maybe I just missed something and don't know how to change it?

leozelig
January 16th, 2016, 01:28
I was going to add one note on Skills. It looks like you have a d20 hardcoded. If you note on pg 66 of the rules untrained skills are made with a d10 and trained/occupation skills are with a d20. Maybe I just missed something and don't know how to change it?

You're welcome, we need more DCC players here!

You can drag a die onto the skill, and a die field will appear. When you double-click or drag the modifier, the roll will use that die. If no die is specified, then it defaults to a d20. I should really make some video tutorials :)

FlightlessScotsman
January 16th, 2016, 05:49
You're welcome, we need more DCC players here!

You can drag a die onto the skill, and a die field will appear. When you double-click or drag the modifier, the roll will use that die. If no die is specified, then it defaults to a d20. I should really make some video tutorials :)

Hmmm . . . This is what I see in the skills section of the character sheet (under the 'Abilities' tab), it doesn't exactly square up with your description.

I've tried dragging and dropping a die (d10) to the area circled in the image and onto the text line just in case, but it doesn't seem to take. I'm not sure what I'm missing.

damned
January 16th, 2016, 06:47
Hey leozelig Ive got a slightly older version and the drag and drop of different dice to Skills works but it doesnt under the current version.

leozelig
January 17th, 2016, 18:46
Ok thanks, i will test it out. I was trying to get thief and cleric skills to auto-apply ability modifiers, and I thought everything was working but maybe not.

leozelig
January 17th, 2016, 21:20
Ok, try downloading the ruleset (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG.pak)again. I think I fixed the problem - I had removed the OnDrop function from the skills list.

The ruleset is set up to recognize and automatically apply an ability modifier (and possibly an armor check penalty) to the following skills:

turn unholy
lay on hands
divine aid
sneak silently* (also "move silently" or "sneak")
hide in shadows
pick pocket
climb sheer surfaces* (thief skill, agility)
pick lock
find trap
disable trap
forge document
disguise self
read languages
cast spell from scroll
find construction (dwarf ability)
climb* (general skill, strength)
jump*
balance*
swim*
break down doors
bend bars
lift gates
listen
search
spot

(* armor check penalty)

I am auto-applying the modifiers for two reasons: 1) convenience, and 2) so that combat tracker effects (i.e. ability score bonus/penalty) will apply to skill checks. It's tough to find the right balance between giving the player full control over his character sheet and cutting down on bookkeeping.

Let me know if you have any more trouble!

leozelig
January 17th, 2016, 21:29
I should add, it's currently a little confusing how the ability score modifier is included in the skill check roll but does not display in the bonus field. I wanted a thief to be able to enter the modifiers right out of the table in the book without accounting for ability score mods and armor check penalty.

Ultimately, I think I should either go back to a less automated skill list, or build it closer to the 3.5E structure. Any opinions on this?

damned
January 17th, 2016, 21:55
Ok, try downloading the ruleset (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG.pak)again. I think I fixed the problem - I had removed the OnDrop function from the skills list.

The ruleset is set up to recognize and automatically apply an ability modifier (and possibly an armor check penalty) to the following skills:

turn unholy
lay on hands
divine aid
sneak silently* (also "move silently" or "sneak")
hide in shadows
pick pocket
climb sheer surfaces* (thief skill, agility)
pick lock
find trap
disable trap
forge document
disguise self
read languages
cast spell from scroll
find construction (dwarf ability)
climb* (general skill, strength)
jump*
balance*
swim*
break down doors
bend bars
lift gates
listen
search
spot

(* armor check penalty)

I am auto-applying the modifiers for two reasons: 1) convenience, and 2) so that combat tracker effects (i.e. ability score bonus/penalty) will apply to skill checks. It's tough to find the right balance between giving the player full control over his character sheet and cutting down on bookkeeping.

Let me know if you have any more trouble!

Thats awesome leozelig

I should add, it's currently a little confusing how the ability score modifier is included in the skill check roll but does not display in the bonus field. I wanted a thief to be able to enter the modifiers right out of the table in the book without accounting for ability score mods and armor check penalty.

Ultimately, I think I should either go back to a less automated skill list, or build it closer to the 3.5E structure. Any opinions on this?

Less automated gets my vote.

FlightlessScotsman
January 17th, 2016, 23:24
I'd say less automated as well. Lots of people I know (including myself) are fond of houseruling certain aspects of DCC and it makes it easier to do that.

leozelig
January 17th, 2016, 23:39
Yeah, less automated is probably the correct answer for DCC RPG skills. I keep all the old rulesets, so if someone wants the more automated skill list, I can always turn it into an extension or something. I will post the non-automated skills version tonight - thanks for the feedback and bug report!

leozelig
January 18th, 2016, 03:07
I reverted back to the old skill setup - type in a name and adjust the modifier. If you want to make it rollable, then drag dice onto it. If it's just the modifier, then you can double-click or drag to add the it to the modifier stack, and it will be applied to the next dice roll. If you want to add an armor check penalty, you can double-click or drag that to the modifier stack as well before making your roll.

The link above (#73) and on the first page will take you to the latest version.

leozelig
January 28th, 2016, 02:13
I started a YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCejrLK7K2ufGFbOZ_nCM64w) with a couple of DCC RPG ruleset tutorials. I am going to make a few more soon...

leozelig
February 3rd, 2016, 04:22
Working on a few things for update 1.9...

I added some modifiers and effects. I keep finding random bugs, so I'm fixing those along the way - nothing major, thankfully. I still have some testing to do, but here is a screenshot:

Overkill on the effects? Maybe...

Higher = On higher ground
Into Melee = Firing a missile weapon into melee

FlightlessScotsman
February 3rd, 2016, 05:17
Excellent stuff. Much appreciated.

sturtus
February 4th, 2016, 16:55
Great work! Showing it off to my DCC group.

I built out the DCC character sheet for Roll20 and made a set of scripts for API users to use in their DCC game, including a mechanic to manage spell duels. Maybe you can find some inspiration for spell duel management in my script.

https://gist.github.com/sturtus/8626618

leozelig
February 8th, 2016, 00:39
I built out the DCC character sheet for Roll20 and made a set of scripts for API users to use in their DCC game, including a mechanic to manage spell duels. Maybe you can find some inspiration for spell duel management in my script.

https://gist.github.com/sturtus/8626618

Awesome, thanks! I will see what I can do to make this work. I'm trying to clean up some of the code for a few features that don't work great but probably aren't used much, if at all. This would be great to have in there, though.

leozelig
February 16th, 2016, 00:44
Here is update v1.9 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG.pak)

Strength and agility bonus effects in the combat tracker were not applying to attack/damage rolls. Fixed.
Added the following attack modifiers (click desktop button to access): Medium Range (-2), Long Range (-1d), On Higher Ground (+1), Firing a Missile Weapon into Melee (-1), and Target Behind Cover (-2).
Added "HALF" and "DOUBLE" damage modifiers.
Added several conditions (click desktop button to access), many just for tracking purposes:

Attack roll modifier auto-applied when present on the attacker: Invisible (+2 melee), On higher ground (+1), Squeezing (-1d), Entangled (-1d).
Attack roll modifier auto-applied when present on the target: Behind cover (-2), Blinded (+2), Entangled (+1d), Helpless/Paralyzed/Sleeping/Bound (+1d), Kneeling/Sitting/Prone (+2 melee, -2 ranged).

Adjusted the IMMUNE, RESIST, and VULN effects:

"IMMUNE: {dmg type}" or "IMMUNE: all" = no damage taken from the relevant damage type.
"RESIST: # {dmg type}" = decreases damage by the specified # amount.
"VULN: {dmg type}" = doubles damage (not +50%).

Fixed the DMGO (ongoing damage) and REGEN (regeneration) effects:

"DMGO: #" = applies the specified # amount as damage at the beginning of each round.
"REGEN: #" = heals the specified # amount at the beginning of each round.

Damage resistance for this ruleset does not really work by the book. The ruleset reduces damage by the specified amount for each damage roll (like 3.5E), rather than per round which is usually how DCC does it. I do not have the coding skills or time to make that work, unfortunately.

FlightlessScotsman
February 19th, 2016, 23:44
Looking forward to testing the new version out. Thanks for all of your hard work.

leozelig
February 20th, 2016, 04:00
You're welcome! Let me know if you encounter any problems. I try to test everything, but inevitably something slips through the cracks.

Blue Haven
February 20th, 2016, 21:40
Thank you so much for this :)
I love DCC :P
Thank you

Valdus
February 25th, 2016, 17:26
I got to check this out, but in the meantime- when do we play?

FlightlessScotsman
February 25th, 2016, 18:20
You're welcome! Let me know if you encounter any problems. I try to test everything, but inevitably something slips through the cracks.

So just a couple of things:
--The combat tracker has a display bug. When you toggle the "offense" button with any of "defense," "space," or "reach" the boxes overlap.

--A modifier field for the Crit Die and Fumble Die would be useful. This isn't really bug, more of a feature request. When you roll on table 1-2 (pg 19 of the rules) if you get "warrior's arm" or "Broken Star" you are supposed to double your luck modifier and it would be helpful to have a way to automatically adjust the roll.

Beyond that, I haven't really encountered anything I can think of. You've done a helluva job. Thanks a bunch.

leozelig
February 26th, 2016, 11:36
So just a couple of things:
--The combat tracker has a display bug. When you toggle the "offense" button with any of "defense," "space," or "reach" the boxes overlap.

--A modifier field for the Crit Die and Fumble Die would be useful. This isn't really bug, more of a feature request. When you roll on table 1-2 (pg 19 of the rules) if you get "warrior's arm" or "Broken Star" you are supposed to double your luck modifier and it would be helpful to have a way to automatically adjust the roll.

I noticed that myself - the attack and defense sections are overlapping, and only for PCs. I didn't know if anyone would notice, since you can't roll PC attacks from the combat tracker. It should be easy enough to fix.

I will look at the crit tables. The modifier is easy to add - I did it for the deed die. If it's a case of doubling the luck mod on a specific roll result, but that is not known ahead of time, then maybe I should automate that in the roll script. I'll check it out.

FlightlessScotsman
February 26th, 2016, 13:56
The rolls for "warriors arm" and "broken star" being "Lucky Rolls" would stay static based on the initial Luck score even as Luck gets burned. I leave it up to you how best to implement it, but a simple manual entry box would be completely sufficient from my perspective.

Thanks again.

leozelig
February 27th, 2016, 00:27
The rolls for "warriors arm" and "broken star" being "Lucky Rolls" would stay static based on the initial Luck score even as Luck gets burned. I leave it up to you how best to implement it, but a simple manual entry box would be completely sufficient from my perspective.

Thanks again.

Ah of course, now I know what you mean. The fumble die field has plenty of room for a number modifier, but the crit die is a little more crowded. I will see how it looks. It shouldn't be a problem for the crit/fumble roll to check the birth augur and apply the lucky roll modifier, but maybe that's too much going on behind the scenes. I think there is always a balance between convenience and confusion when it comes to the automated bookkeeping.

For now, you can drag the lucky roll modifier to a hotkey, but then you just have to remember to click the hotkey before making a crit/fumble roll. Or just double-click or drag the lucky roll modifier each time. Not ideal, but it works.

leozelig
March 8th, 2016, 01:45
I finally got around to fixing the combat tracker display. Download the ruleset here (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG.pak) for the latest version.

Thanks for picking that up, FlightlessScotsman....

Blue Haven
March 13th, 2016, 17:48
Many thanks for another update :)
Continue this wonderful work friend :)

driador
March 14th, 2016, 03:25
Hey Leo,

Just curious... on trying to use custom dice, all I see are a d14 and a d16, the rest are missing. Are we just supposed to roll those with a /die command?

Thanks in advance!

leozelig
March 14th, 2016, 23:39
Hey Leo,

Just curious... on trying to use custom dice, all I see are a d14 and a d16, the rest are missing. Are we just supposed to roll those with a /die command?

Thanks in advance!

No need to use the /die command - they should be linked to the other dice. The funky dice are distributed according to the workaround suggestion posted on the Goodman Games forums. Here is the breakdown:

d20 - d16, d14
d12 - d24
d10 - d30, d5
d8 - d7
d6 - d3

Here is the link to post on the GG forums...

Dice: generating "Zocchi results" using "normal" polyhedrons (https://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=15068#p42030)

leozelig
March 21st, 2016, 23:14
Updated to v2.0 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG.pak)

Fixed alignment of help button for multiple windows.
Critical hit rolls add lucky roll modifier for "Warrior's arm" birth augur.
Fumble rolls subtract lucky roll modifier for "The broken star" birth augur.

Join me (https://www.fg-con.com/events/dcc-stardust-jeweller/) if you can for FG8 on April 8 at 9:00 pm EDT (UTC -4) for The Jeweler That Dealt in Stardust!

damned
March 22nd, 2016, 01:45
I wanna bump this post - the inestimable leozelig is running a one shot at FG Con!
Dont be shy - this is a great ruleset and its a fun system.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/fgcon8-banner-02.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 8 – Invite A Friend April 8-10th 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

leozelig
April 7th, 2016, 02:27
I added an attack bonus field for items.

leozelig
April 9th, 2016, 22:36
Updated to v2.1 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG.pak)

Added attack bonus field to the item record for weapons
Added short range option to the modifiers, which adds your strength bonus to ranged damage (for dagger, dart, handaxe, etc.)

Blue Haven
April 10th, 2016, 13:53
Thank you so much :)

leozelig
April 10th, 2016, 17:00
I rearranged the buttons in the modifiers window so that [Short Rng] is listed under Damage. I had it grouped with the Attack buttons - it works the same either way, but technically, it is a damage modifier. Re-download the ruleset if your modifiers window does not look like the screenshot in post #100...

leozelig
April 17th, 2016, 14:17
Just a quick fix - the SHORT RANGE modifier button was not applying the bonus for NPC strength. Most NPCs don't really have ability scores, but they might, so this should be working now. It seems to be applying any "STR" effects from the combat tracker without any issues.

leozelig
May 1st, 2016, 22:24
Ruleset (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG.pak) updated...

I cleaned up some of the conditions in the effects menu. The conditions listed in Table 4-1 (p. 78) of the DCC RPG rulebook automatically apply attack roll modifiers.

leozelig
May 16th, 2016, 00:21
I am focusing on modules for the next update. Since the ruleset is not officially licensed, I cannot share my modules, but I attached a screenshot of a spells module showing what is possible. I am going to create modules for equipment and monsters as well. Let Goodman Games hear from you if you want to have access to these. I don't think they have really embraced the online gaming community.

I can't think of anything else I want to do with this ruleset after that. Maybe I will try to revive the OSRIC ruleset.

ddaley
May 16th, 2016, 01:51
I am relatively new to FG and absolutely new to DCC. I backed the kickstarter for the 4th printing and am just now reading the rules. I am really looking forward to trying out DCC and am super happy to see this ruleset! Thanks for doing this.

I have a few questions...
* Does this ruleset cover the rules from the 4th printing (no idea what, if anything is different from previous printings).
* I have a number of modules for DCC. Can I use Par5e to create FG modules for those? How are you creating DCC modules? Why isn't Goodman Games working with FG to get this stuff into their store?!?

damned
May 16th, 2016, 02:15
You dont need to use Par5e to create adventures. Just do it fro within FG and use the /export feature. This is how 90% of adventures for FG are created.

Send GG an email expressing your interest in seeing DCCRPG officially supported on FG. Its another revenue stream for them after all!

ddaley
May 16th, 2016, 02:59
Thanks. I will ping them about getting some of their material into FG. As far as modules go, what I meant was that I have a number of modules in PDF format. If I wanted to create FG modules from those, could I use par5e for that?

You dont need to use Par5e to create adventures. Just do it fro within FG and use the /export feature. This is how 90% of adventures for FG are created.

Send GG an email expressing your interest in seeing DCCRPG officially supported on FG. Its another revenue stream for them after all!

damned
May 16th, 2016, 03:06
Par5e is not some magic tool that will do all the work for you.
Par5e is intended to build 5e reference material from very carefully formatted input text - and this is not a trivial task.

When creating a module to run you need the following:

Maps.
NPCs and Monsters.

Everything else is good but not required.
In order I would then do -

Encounters

and then

Story
Other Pics
Items
Parcels

There are quite a few videos on converting and adventure on youtube and possibly in the wiki.

Trenloe
May 16th, 2016, 03:09
As far as modules go, what I meant was that I have a number of modules in PDF format. If I wanted to create FG modules from those, could I use par5e for that?
This is what damned is saying - you don't need to use Par5E to create a Fantasy Grounds module, populate the data in Fantasy Grounds and export it to a module - FG is set up to allow creation of adventures within the application. The use the module export functionality: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Library#Module_Export

Search for "fantasy grounds module" on youtube, there are quite a few videos showing how to create your own Fantasy Grounds module. A "module" in Fantasy Grounds is a container for custom data - usually "stuff" needed to run an adventure, stuff used to create a character and/or a library of useful information.

ddaley
May 16th, 2016, 03:12
Thanks. I will do some research on creating modules. I had watched a few videos using par5e, and I realize that, even with that utility, there is still a lot of work involved.

This is what damned is saying - you don't need to use Par5E to create a Fantasy Grounds module, populate the data in Fantasy Grounds and export it to a module - FG is set up to allow creation of adventures within the application. The use the module export functionality: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Library#Module_Export

Search for "fantasy grounds module" on youtube, there are quite a few videos showing how to create your own Fantasy Grounds module. A "module" in Fantasy Grounds is a container for custom data - usually "stuff" needed to run an adventure, stuff used to create a character and/or a library of useful information.

leozelig
May 16th, 2016, 12:53
I am relatively new to FG and absolutely new to DCC. I backed the kickstarter for the 4th printing and am just now reading the rules. I am really looking forward to trying out DCC and am super happy to see this ruleset! Thanks for doing this.

I have a few questions...
* Does this ruleset cover the rules from the 4th printing (no idea what, if anything is different from previous printings).
* I have a number of modules for DCC. Can I use Par5e to create FG modules for those? How are you creating DCC modules? Why isn't Goodman Games working with FG to get this stuff into their store?!?

Welcome! The 4th printing is not really a new edition, just another print run. They added some art to fill in white space and fixed some typos - no new rules or anything. But the short answer is yes, the FG ruleset is set up for the latest rules. You will need the rulebook for referencing tables (spells, crits and fumbles, etc.) since I do not have permission to link that info within FG.

I would not bother with any parsing tools for module creation. Goodman Games does not seem interested in promoting their products with Fantasy Grounds, but it's easy enough to make your own. I made a short YouTube video linked in the first post of this thread for DM prep. I just cut-and-paste from the pdf version of the module for story entries (which I often just read from the pdf anyway), enter NPCs, and create the map/handout images.

My theory about GG and online gaming is that it doesn't fit into that 1970's aesthetic they are trying to capture, so it's mainly live/convention games for them. But who knows...

ddaley
May 16th, 2016, 13:22
Thanks. I watched a few videos last night. So, I think I'll start entering a module today. We'll see how that goes.

Welcome! The 4th printing is not really a new edition, just another print run. They added some art to fill in white space and fixed some typos - no new rules or anything. But the short answer is yes, the FG ruleset is set up for the latest rules. You will need the rulebook for referencing tables (spells, crits and fumbles, etc.) since I do not have permission to link that info within FG.

I would not bother with any parsing tools for module creation. Goodman Games does not seem interested in promoting their products with Fantasy Grounds, but it's easy enough to make your own. I made a short YouTube video linked in the first post of this thread for DM prep. I just cut-and-paste from the pdf version of the module for story entries (which I often just read from the pdf anyway), enter NPCs, and create the map/handout images.

My theory about GG and online gaming is that it doesn't fit into that 1970's aesthetic they are trying to capture, so it's mainly live/convention games for them. But who knows...

leozelig
May 17th, 2016, 00:37
Good luck! Feel free to post any questions on the forums - the community is pretty helpful. If you run some DCC, let me know. I was thinking about organizing some games myself if I can stop messing around with the ruleset, but I would be interested in playing if the time works (EDT for me) :)

ddaley
May 18th, 2016, 02:48
Well, I need to get more familiar with DCC and FG before I try to GM/DM a game in general. I may try to run a module for my family this weekend. The more I read the rules, the more excited I get about DCC. It sounds like it'll be a blast. I am not 100% sold on every part of the rules (like alignments not having the good/neutral/evil component and only chaotic/neutral/lawful and the dwarf/elf/halfling is a race + class), but I am willing to give those a chance. The rest of the rules (that I have read) seem well thought out and interesting.

I started reading one of the modules (Starless Sea), but then started reading the rules. So far, overall, this seems quite promising.

Good luck! Feel free to post any questions on the forums - the community is pretty helpful. If you run some DCC, let me know. I was thinking about organizing some games myself if I can stop messing around with the ruleset, but I would be interested in playing if the time works (EDT for me) :)

leozelig
May 22nd, 2016, 20:35
Here is another screenshot of the modules I have been building for personal use. I blurred the details because I wasn't sure about copyright limitations. The next logical step seems like core rule book monsters. If you want them, email Goodman Games and tell them to support Fantasy Grounds! :)

leozelig
May 26th, 2016, 21:28
Update coming soon. In the meantime, I am putting the finishing touches on the monster module. I also am going to make a YouTube video featuring tables, in which I have a little fun crafting some magic swords using the tables from the DCC rule book.

leozelig
May 27th, 2016, 12:38
Ruleset update v2.3 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG.pak)

NPC attack line was not parsing correctly for descriptions starting with "+" (i.e. magic weapons).
Improved critical hit range was not working for NPCs.
Critical hit notification was not triggering in some cases (e.g. d24 attack die with crit range 20-24).
Shortcut links in the weapon list were not working for weapons dropped into inventory from the item list. (Note: Weapons created directly in the weapon list will now display an empty link.)
NPC attacks now use the action die defined on the NPC sheet (default d20). Only one attack per roll is made, even if multiple action dice are specified.
Module formats were created for items and spells. These can be dropped into the appropriate lists on the character sheet.

I attached a module template for spells in case you find yourself compelled by Sezrekan to make your own.

leozelig
June 5th, 2016, 02:32
I added a modifier to the crit and fumble dice fields. The chat message for the crit die will also display the crit table. See screenshots below.

leozelig
June 20th, 2016, 01:31
I just finished making a bunch of modules for my DCC ruleset. They contain everything but the spell check tables, but unfortunately I cannot share them with you. If this is something you would like to see for Fantasy Grounds, I would encourage you to send an email to Goodman Games and let them know :)

leozelig
June 20th, 2016, 01:36
Can we post this ruleset in the community rulesets section of the wiki?

jshauber
June 20th, 2016, 01:56
I just finished making a bunch of modules for my DCC ruleset. They contain everything but the spell check tables, but unfortunately I cannot share them with you. If this is something you would like to see for Fantasy Grounds, I would encourage you to send an email to Goodman Games and let them know :)

I take it you have spoken to Doug about contacting them to set up an agreement? I asked him once about the 5e modules they have done and he said they don't seem to be interested, but that might change if you can show them a fully functional rule set in action.

damned
June 20th, 2016, 03:21
Can we post this ruleset in the community rulesets section of the wiki?

Hey leozelig great work as always. Ive posted a brief Wiki entry for it. I have linked the Wiki page to the dropbox file for now. When you are ready I will copy a version up to the wiki
Feel free to email me whatever text you would like on the wiki page.

leozelig
June 20th, 2016, 05:18
Hey leozelig great work as always. Ive posted a brief Wiki entry for it. I have linked the Wiki page to the dropbox file for now. When you are ready I will copy a version up to the wiki
Feel free to email me whatever text you would like on the wiki page.

Thanks, damned!

leozelig
June 20th, 2016, 05:25
I take it you have spoken to Doug about contacting them to set up an agreement? I asked him once about the 5e modules they have done and he said they don't seem to be interested, but that might change if you can show them a fully functional rule set in action.

I exchanged a few emails with them when I finished the ruleset about a year ago, and they definitely did not seem interested. But maybe if enough fans request it, who knows?

sturtus
June 20th, 2016, 14:38
When I asked The Dark Lord Goodman a few years ago, his answer was "not right now". Hope you have better luck.

ddaley
June 20th, 2016, 17:23
I posted a comment on their kickstarter page. Maybe others will chime in with interest in FG content for DCC

I exchanged a few emails with them when I finished the ruleset about a year ago, and they definitely did not seem interested. But maybe if enough fans request it, who knows?

JohnD
June 20th, 2016, 20:25
Seems like passing up free money/sales.

leozelig
July 3rd, 2016, 15:54
Ruleset updated to v2.4 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG.pak)

If "Two-Weapon Fighting" is selected on the Combat tab, critical hit determination will apply rules for dual-wielding based on primary/off hand and agility score.
"2W" checkbox in the weapon list indicates that the weapon is wielded in the off hand.
"[OFF HAND]" message will display in the attack chat message when both "Two-Weapon Fighting" and "2W" are selected.
When dual-wielding, the attack die will automatically adjust for changes in Agility score from ability damage or effects. For example, if you have a base Agility 16 and gain a bonus of +2 from an effect, your primary hand attack die improves to a d20 (and your offhand remains a d16) according to the Two-Weapon Fighting table.
Added a label for the "Lost/Not Lost" checkbox in the spell list.

My interpretation of the two-weapon fighting rules for halflings is that they may only score a crit with their primary hand, but the max die roll with that hand (usually d16) is always an automatic hit. There is some confusion about the correct ruling (refer to the Spellburn podcast on Halflings), so I am imposing my personal preference.

ddaley
July 4th, 2016, 01:18
No response to my post in the comments of the DCC kickstarter... but, have you seen their latest kickstarter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409961192/mutant-crawl-classics-rpg-mcc-rpg

leozelig
July 4th, 2016, 14:12
No response to my post in the comments of the DCC kickstarter... but, have you seen their latest kickstarter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409961192/mutant-crawl-classics-rpg-mcc-rpg

Yeah, looks pretty cool. They keep hitting those stretch goals, so I might swoop in at the last minute and pledge depending on what is included. I was going to look at the rules at some point and possibly make an MCC extension to go with the DCC ruleset.

Thanks for posting that by the way. Goodman Games isn't the most responsive to things that are not a priority for them. I originally used their "DCC RPG" logo, and the desktop background was the gold-on-black demon skull, which they were not cool with. I think if it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't have gotten a reply :)

ddaley
July 5th, 2016, 03:01
I included a comment about Fantasy Grounds support in the MCC comment section as well. Maybe if they see Fantasy Ground enough, they'll give in.

Yeah, looks pretty cool. They keep hitting those stretch goals, so I might swoop in at the last minute and pledge depending on what is included. I was going to look at the rules at some point and possibly make an MCC extension to go with the DCC ruleset.

Thanks for posting that by the way. Goodman Games isn't the most responsive to things that are not a priority for them. I originally used their "DCC RPG" logo, and the desktop background was the gold-on-black demon skull, which they were not cool with. I think if it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't have gotten a reply :)

leozelig
September 17th, 2016, 13:04
Updated to v2.5:

Untargeted roll results dragged from the chat window to a target in the combat tracker generated a script error. Fixed.
Ability score sequence in the party sheet adjusted to match the character sheet - Str Agi Sta Per Int Luck.

Grey Hunter
October 1st, 2016, 15:08
Hi, I've been trying to use this with my group, but we're having a problem with lots of string errors and not being able to delete things from the combat tracker. Am I doing something stupid?

damned
October 1st, 2016, 15:14
You may have an error in your db.xml file.
You can export your characters and import them into a new campaign or you can (make a backup first) edit the db.xml file and remove everything between the <combattracker> and </combattracker> tags (with FG closed) and this *might* fix your issue.

Grey Hunter
October 1st, 2016, 15:52
It happens when I start a new campaign as well. I may just have to use the Core RPG system.

Myrdin Potter
October 1st, 2016, 17:52
Do you have any other extensions running? Started a completely clean campaign with nothing else?

What version of FG are you running?

Trenloe
October 1st, 2016, 18:58
What Myrdin and damned said. And, if you're still having issues please provide the errors you're getting - this will help a lot in identifying the issue.

Grey Hunter
October 2nd, 2016, 05:15
This is what I'm gettting, no extensions turned on. I'm using the latest version of FG.

Script Error: [string "desktop/scripts/desktop.lua"]:15: attempt to call field 'setOptionDefault' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_actor2.lua"]:89: attempt to index global 'ColorManager' (a nil value)
Ruleset Warning: stringcontrol: Could not find font (subwindowtitle) for control (header_vis) in windowclass (combattracker_host)
Ruleset Warning: stringcontrol: Could not find font (subwindowtitle) for control (header_labels) in windowclass (combattracker_host)
Ruleset Warning: stringcontrol: Could not find font (subwindowtitle) for control (header_toggles) in windowclass (combattracker_host)
Script Error "scripts/manager_actor2.lua"]:75: attempt to index global 'ColorManager' (a nil value) x 50
Ruleset Warning: stringcontrol: Could not find font (subwindowtitle) in windowclass (combattracker_host)
Ruleset Warning: stringcontrol: Could not find font (subwindowtitle) in windowclass (combattracker_host)
Ruleset Warning: numbercontrol: Could not find font (subwindowtitle) for control (round) in windowclass (combattracker_host)

Thanks for the help btw.

damned
October 2nd, 2016, 05:45
Delete the DCCRPG.pak and any unpacked copies of this folder from your \rulesets folder and redownload the file and restart FG. It looks like some stuff is missing.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/fgcon9-sig6.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 9 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 14-16 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Grey Hunter
October 2nd, 2016, 06:13
Hmm, I did have some random files knocking about, and its cleared most of the errors on a new campagin, but I still get these

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_actor2.lua"]:75: attempt to index global 'ColorManager' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_actor2.lua"]:75: attempt to index global 'ColorManager' (a nil value)

and no option to delete units from the combat tracker.

damned
October 2nd, 2016, 06:22
Do the same thing for CoreRPG.pak and any unpacked copies and re-run the Updater.

Grey Hunter
October 2nd, 2016, 06:30
A double post 15 mins apart... weird.

Deleting the CORERPG unpacked folder did the job! The background changed as soon as I opened it up and I knew things had been sorted.

Thanks very much!

If anyone is interested, the game is being recorded here (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6WX0yyxWfVRlN0KxSiVNbt0N-JdtaB8z).

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2016, 15:16
Deleting the CORERPG unpacked folder did the job!
Yeah, don't unpack ruleset files in the FG \rulesets directory and leave the new directory with the same name as the base pak file. This freezes your ruleset version as FG will use the unpacked directory over the .pak file, and you'll soon have incompatibilities after even one FG update.

leozelig
October 2nd, 2016, 16:46
Thanks for the help, Trenloe and damned! And I will definitely check out the video Grey Hunter. I am planning to record my own session of Tower of the Black Pearl in a couple weeks.

benjihad
October 16th, 2016, 12:20
Been digging into this some more with the books coming out soon. Great stuff so far!

Couple things:
-Any chance at adding an XP tab on the Party Sheet? I understand RAW is a pretty small scale for tracking XP, but would be nice to have that feature for divvying out encounter/quest awards.
-Nice being able to add custom dice to the skills tab, however, being able to base each skill off a main ability score (or none) would be cool as well, similar to how Castles and Crusades or AD&D 2E handles skill rolls.

leozelig
October 16th, 2016, 21:50
-Any chance at adding an XP tab on the Party Sheet? I understand RAW is a pretty small scale for tracking XP, but would be nice to have that feature for divvying out encounter/quest awards.
-Nice being able to add custom dice to the skills tab, however, being able to base each skill off a main ability score (or none) would be cool as well, similar to how Castles and Crusades or AD&D 2E handles skill rolls.

Thanks for the suggestions. Besides the smaller scale, XP is so arbitrary, and level advancement is pretty slow, so I didn't spend much time on it. But I will take another look at it.

On the other hand, I did mess around with the 3.5E Skills tab a little. I like how ability score bonuses and combat tracker effects can be incorporated, not to mention the armor check penalty. I have been a little bit lazy about making time for it. The layout does eat up a fair amount of space, and I want to avoid a separate tab for skills. Currently, a thief can list all of his skills without using the scroll bar, and I like the aesthetics of that. I have not looked at how Castles & Crusades does it, so I will definitely take a look at that.

benjihad
October 16th, 2016, 22:26
Yes, 3.5E has a similar setup as well with the ability score bonuses to skills, that would be rad. Maybe minus all the hard-baked skills that exist on that ruleset.
Just starting to wrap my head around the internals of FG myself, seems like a lot of work goes into laying all these rulesets out. Much obliged for what you've already done.

I guess one more thing to gander at when you get time, the way CoreRPG handles attack rolls on the NPC sheets is nice how you can base off something other than a d20 shown here: FG Wiki - CoreRPG NPC Sheet (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/CoreRPG_NPC_Sheet)
Maybe it's already in there, and I'm just having trouble figuring out the syntax for dredging up alternate polyhedron from the outer reaches?

vodokar
October 17th, 2016, 00:38
I've been using the ruleset a lot and it's been working out great. There are a couple of things I noticed though, that could be added, if possible.

The first area is dealing with secondary attacks which are with dice other than d20. A 5th level warrior, for example, gets two action dice (1d20 + 1d14). Also, many npc's have multiple attacks where some are with d20 and some are not. As far as I can tell, for the pc, you would need to add an extra copy of the weapon with a different action die set up, which is less than an optimal solution. As for an npc, I can figure out no workaround at all for it. I've already had more than one monster entry where I wasn't able to accurately input the creatures attacks due to the issue of different action die for its attacks.

Secondly, I like the way the burn boxes work for luck and other attributes, but wonder if it would be possible to also have a third box out to the side of each attribute which would show the result of the attribute burn. For example, Luck 12 Luckburned 2 Current Luck 10. And that third box be the one that actually is double clickable for the stat check roll and the roll result reports success or failure vs. that third box value.

One can always dream, right? He he.

leozelig
October 17th, 2016, 05:16
I guess one more thing to gander at when you get time, the way CoreRPG handles attack rolls on the NPC sheets is nice how you can base off something other than a d20 shown here: FG Wiki - CoreRPG NPC Sheet (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/CoreRPG_NPC_Sheet)
Maybe it's already in there, and I'm just having trouble figuring out the syntax for dredging up alternate polyhedron from the outer reaches?

I wanted the npc attack line to match the format in the rulebook as much as possible, which is very similar to the 3.5E format. The action die field on the npc sheet can specify the die type, but not multiple different dice. I can't think of any monsters that use multiple different action dice, actually, but I know it's possible. Anyway, whatever is specified as the action die is used for the attack roll.

leozelig
October 17th, 2016, 05:39
The first area is dealing with secondary attacks which are with dice other than d20. A 5th level warrior, for example, gets two action dice (1d20 + 1d14). Also, many npc's have multiple attacks where some are with d20 and some are not. As far as I can tell, for the pc, you would need to add an extra copy of the weapon with a different action die set up, which is less than an optimal solution. As for an npc, I can figure out no workaround at all for it. I've already had more than one monster entry where I wasn't able to accurately input the creatures attacks due to the issue of different action die for its attacks.

Secondly, I like the way the burn boxes work for luck and other attributes, but wonder if it would be possible to also have a third box out to the side of each attribute which would show the result of the attribute burn. For example, Luck 12 Luckburned 2 Current Luck 10. And that third box be the one that actually is double clickable for the stat check roll and the roll result reports success or failure vs. that third box value.

One can always dream, right? He he.

Interesting, I have not seen an npc yet with multiple different action dice - do you remember examples? That is a limitation for sure that I file under "rulesets are built to handle most, but not all, situations at the table."

On the PC side, creating a second weapon entry is probably the best way, unless you click through the string cycler before each attack, which I do not recommend. Maybe set up hot keys for the extra attacks? The action die mechanic was the most difficult to incorporate into the character sheet - I admit defeat on that one. I also did not want to assume that both action dice would be used for attacks. An elf might use one die to cast a spell, for example.

For ability damage, I don't see enough room for another column to display the current score. It is definitely a little confusing - kind of like tracking wounds and not current hp.

vodokar
October 17th, 2016, 05:39
I wanted the npc attack line to match the format in the rulebook as much as possible, which is very similar to the 3.5E format. The action die field on the npc sheet can specify the die type, but not multiple different dice. I can't think of any monsters that use multiple different action dice, actually, but I know it's possible. Anyway, whatever is specified as the action die is used for the attack roll.

Just one example, off the top of my head, Shield Maiden from the Sezrekan patron can be summoned as a level 5 warrior with 1d20 + 1d14. Also, dragons have multiple action die with some of them possibly being other than d20.

leozelig
October 17th, 2016, 11:53
Just one example, off the top of my head, Shield Maiden from the Sezrekan patron can be summoned as a level 5 warrior with 1d20 + 1d14. Also, dragons have multiple action die with some of them possibly being other than d20.

Setting up a hotkey is my only suggestion if it's a regular occurrence. Enter 1d14 in the 'Act' field on the NPC sheet, and drag the attack to a hotkey. Then, change the action die back to 1d20. You can do something similar for the PCs extra attack, changing the attack die on the weapon entry instead of the 'Act' field.

It's not a perfect solution. I chose to avoid rolling an attack for each action die because a) you might target different creatures or perform different actions with each action die, and b) I am terrible at parsing code that creates variables from a text string.

benjihad
October 17th, 2016, 11:56

So it is! Another oversight on my part. Worked fine even with a funky die in the action field on the NPC sheet sure enough.

Maybe just split that field into three separate fields? It seems the highest amount of action dice any NPC could have is three with the 10th level warrior, not sure beyond that. Something similar to 'Act' field on the NPC sheet, would be beneficial on the PC main tab as well, where the action dice string field is. It's kind of crowded already, I understand if it's not possible. :D

Edit: Just noticed the ability to set funky die on weapon profiles on the PC combat tab so I guess that somewhat covers what I was saying.

vodokar
October 18th, 2016, 01:02
Setting up a hotkey is my only suggestion if it's a regular occurrence. Enter 1d14 in the 'Act' field on the NPC sheet, and drag the attack to a hotkey. Then, change the action die back to 1d20. You can do something similar for the PCs extra attack, changing the attack die on the weapon entry instead of the 'Act' field.

It's not a perfect solution. I chose to avoid rolling an attack for each action die because a) you might target different creatures or perform different actions with each action die, and b) I am terrible at parsing code that creates variables from a text string.

So, basically, if it were possible, you wouldn't know how. That's a perfectly fine and acceptable answer. I have no doubt that these things are exceedingly complex to someone that isn't a professional codemonkey. I'm just very thankful of the effort that has already been made on this fine ruleset.

Perhaps my 2nd request is a little more possible -- at least the extra boxes part, if not the reporting success/failure part?

leozelig
October 18th, 2016, 01:04
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am always trying to think of ways to improve things, so maybe it's time to try a different approach with the action dice. I have definitely wrestled with this issue in the past, and I always seem to run up against limited space on the character sheet or my limited coding abilities. :)

leozelig
October 18th, 2016, 01:06

What are the most different action dice you have come across for a monster? I completely overlooked dragons (and probably anything else that isn't specifically laid out in the monster chapter).

vodokar
October 18th, 2016, 01:22
What are the most different action dice you have come across for a monster? I completely overlooked dragons (and probably anything else that isn't specifically laid out in the monster chapter).

If you haven't read thru the dragon generation tables, it's an eye opener. Goodman Games took the approach that if the Dragon is so iconic to the D&D game that it gets one of the D's, it should be "The" most powerful creature in the game.... and DCCified, it is not just a monster, it is a MONSTER!!!!!!! To the point, a dragon could be generated with as many as 12 to 14 attack dice. It's not a dragon, it's THE DRAGON, unique to your campaign and likely the last creature your group will ever face in the campaign, for good or ill. So, that's not a feasibility to do in a ruleset, regardless.

What I would do in order to simulate that is to make multiple combat tracker entries for the dragon, one with the hitpoints, and the others would be placeholders that could space out the different attacks thru out the initiative order, so that the dragon is making his presence felt thru each pulse of the combat. So, in doing so, the issue of setting different attack die's for each placeholder would be easy to do, as well. So, the dragon really isn't the issue.

The actual issue is mostly with npc's who have pc levels, such as human or demihuman bandits, clerics, magic users etc. so, probably the answer we are looking for is: 3.

leozelig
October 18th, 2016, 18:15
Wow, I have to look that up! Giants are bastards in DCC also, but not like that. Maybe I can get the format to 'Sword d20+3 melee (1d8+3)' but you would still need multiple entries for each action die, which is the same as multiple entries for the same weapon on the character sheet. Plus, if you have the pdf, most attacks can be cut and pasted onto the npc sheet, which was a big plus since modules are not allowed for distribution.

The action die also enters into the skills list - thief's cast spell from scroll, luck die (I put that in Skills), and trained/untrained checks. You would need 2 stat columns for cleric skills that include the luck mod. I want to avoid excessive complexity, even if it sacrifices some automation.

I could make an extension to demonstrate. The 3.5e character sheet is very bloated, and I want to avoid that.

vodokar
October 18th, 2016, 23:49
Wow, I have to look that up! Giants are bastards in DCC also, but not like that. Maybe I can get the format to 'Sword d20+3 melee (1d8+3)' but you would still need multiple entries for each action die, which is the same as multiple entries for the same weapon on the character sheet. Plus, if you have the pdf, most attacks can be cut and pasted onto the npc sheet, which was a big plus since modules are not allowed for distribution.

The action die also enters into the skills list - thief's cast spell from scroll, luck die (I put that in Skills), and trained/untrained checks. You would need 2 stat columns for cleric skills that include the luck mod. I want to avoid excessive complexity, even if it sacrifices some automation.

I could make an extension to demonstrate. The 3.5e character sheet is very bloated, and I want to avoid that.

Multiple attack entries in the same npc record in one sentence like: Sword d20 +3 melee (1d8 +3) or Shield Bash d14 + 2 melee (1d4) would be useful. Having to enter them in different combat tracker entries would not be useful. And with that type of "or" format, it doesn't matter that you can't just copy/past directly from the pdf without making changes. Your mostly there already from the cut/paste and it's minor to have to make corrections.

For some creatures I do make them into separate combat tracker entries for purposes of spreading them thru the initiative count. For instance, I do that in 5e, for legendary creatures or for creatures such as a black pudding that can get cut into multiple creatures. That is just a useful way of handling those corner case situations and has nothing to do with ruleset features.

As for PC's, I think all you would need is to add two more lines in the weapon drop down with similar buttons for setting the die.

leozelig
October 29th, 2016, 05:31
Just a couple quick fixes:

Luck modifier was not adding to ability checks
Unconscious condition was not applying the appropriate attack modifier (+1d)

Myrdin Potter
October 29th, 2016, 16:26
Where are the fixes? New file?

leozelig
October 29th, 2016, 20:57
Where are the fixes? New file?

Same link from the first post, new file.

braincabin
October 29th, 2016, 21:35
Behold, for your gaming enjoyment...

Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG Ruleset (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG.pak)
Ruleset Instructions (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG%20instructions.docx)
Video Tutorials (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCejrLK7K2ufGFbOZ_nCM64w)

Current version: 2.5
Last updated: October 29, 2016

Post bugs here.

Good luck...

How do I install this?

vodokar
October 29th, 2016, 21:43
Download file and place it inside of the "ruleset" directory of the Fantasy Grounds Application Data Folder

braincabin
October 29th, 2016, 21:52
Okay, I've done that, but it doesn't show in the select ruleset list when I click create new campaign. The FG wiki says "If the ruleset is not appearing on the launcher screen for Creating a New Campaign or Manage Characters, then make sure that a base.xml file exists in the root of the ruleset directory or PAK file." but I have no idea what that means. Little help? Thx

braincabin
October 29th, 2016, 22:08
Download file and place it inside of the "ruleset" directory of the Fantasy Grounds Application Data Folder

Okay, I've done that, but it doesn't show in the select ruleset list when I click create new campaign. The FG wiki says "If the ruleset is not appearing on the launcher screen for Creating a New Campaign or Manage Characters, then make sure that a base.xml file exists in the root of the ruleset directory or PAK file." but I have no idea what that means. Little help? Thx

vodokar
October 29th, 2016, 22:45
Originally Posted by braincabin:
"Okay, I've done that, but it doesn't show in the select ruleset list when I click create new campaign. The FG wiki says "If the ruleset is not appearing on the launcher screen for Creating a New Campaign or Manage Characters, then make sure that a base.xml file exists in the root of the ruleset directory or PAK file." but I have no idea what that means. Little help? Thx"

I just tested loading the updated ruleset. Received this error message: Unable to load ruleset file (base.xml)

This is something that Leo will have to take a look at. Have patience for him to get the chance to do so.

braincabin
October 29th, 2016, 22:49
Originally Posted by braincabin:
"Okay, I've done that, but it doesn't show in the select ruleset list when I click create new campaign. The FG wiki says "If the ruleset is not appearing on the launcher screen for Creating a New Campaign or Manage Characters, then make sure that a base.xml file exists in the root of the ruleset directory or PAK file." but I have no idea what that means. Little help? Thx"

I just tested loading the updated ruleset. Received this error message: Unable to load ruleset file (base.xml)

This is something that Leo will have to take a look at. Have patience for him to get the chance to do so.

Thanks for the help!

leozelig
October 29th, 2016, 23:03
Something was wrong with the .pak file - it should be fixed now. Download the ruleset again, and let me know if it still doesn't work.

braincabin
October 29th, 2016, 23:13
Something was wrong with the .pak file - it should be fixed now. Download the ruleset again, and let me know if it still doesn't work.

Works! And just in time for our game tonight :)

Thanks.

Myrdin Potter
November 4th, 2016, 13:45
Is this working properly with FG 3.2?

vodokar
November 4th, 2016, 15:26
Yes, it is perfectly functional, but there are some issues that Leo is working on.

leozelig
November 5th, 2016, 03:12
I will post the update with the corrected sidebar icons tonight, but I'm still digging through the rest of it to make sure I didn't miss anything.

vodokar
November 5th, 2016, 03:36
I do have one feature request. If this is something that could be done easily at this point, could you see if you can add this:

As I am using some of the new classes, many of them are hybrids. For example, a dwarven priest is a hybrid of a dwarf class and a cleric class; paladin is a warrior cleric etc. The main issue is having both the mighty deed die and be recognized as being a cleric for spell casting. That's the main issue I see so far is the need for a character to be recognized as both a warrior and a cleric simultaneously.

leozelig
November 5th, 2016, 03:47
I can include these in the code that checks for the proper class names, but I would need a summary of the classes and abilities since I am less familiar with the hybrid/expansion classes.

vodokar
November 5th, 2016, 03:58
We can work on a more comprehensive list later, but the immediate need, because I actually have players playing these classes are:

Dwarven Priest = A Dwarf class (i.e. has mighty deeds) + Cleric (i.e. Personality for casting and deity disapproval range)

Ranger = warrior (i.e. has mighty deeds)

I don't have anyone currently playing this one, but as it's traditionally a popular class:

Paladin = warrior (mighty deeds) + cleric (PER casting and deity disapproval)

leozelig
November 5th, 2016, 05:18
We can work on a more comprehensive list later, but the immediate need, because I actually have players playing these classes are:

Dwarven Priest = A Dwarf class (i.e. has mighty deeds) + Cleric (i.e. Personality for casting and deity disapproval range)

Ranger = warrior (i.e. has mighty deeds)

I don't have anyone currently playing this one, but as it's traditionally a popular class:

Paladin = warrior (mighty deeds) + cleric (PER casting and deity disapproval)

That's great, I will work on it. I posted the updated ruleset with some quick fixes for the 3.2 update. Let me know if you find any other issues.

vodokar
November 5th, 2016, 05:33
Yeah!!! Up and running perfectly so far. Your awesome.

benjihad
November 5th, 2016, 09:11
Thanks for the quick update, so far so good. Cheers!

P.S. Decided to just throw XP as a currency type in the parcels to be handed out to characters. They all end in P anyways.

leozelig
November 6th, 2016, 23:47
Thanks for the quick update, so far so good. Cheers!

P.S. Decided to just throw XP as a currency type in the parcels to be handed out to characters. They all end in P anyways.

Way to be resourceful! :)

I did try to add XP to the Party Sheet, but it required quite a bit more work than I hoped so I tabled it for now.

leozelig
November 7th, 2016, 00:20
Updated ruleset to v2.6 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG.pak):

Graphical anomalies caused by the FG 3.2.0 update fixed.
AC, check penalty, speed penalty, and fumble die are calculated automatically based on what armor is equipped on the inventory list.
Deed die rolls added for the ranger, paladin, and dwarven priest classes.
Spell checks for paladin and dwarven priest classes apply the personality modifier.
Deity disapproval activated for paladin and dwarven priest classes.
String field for armor removed from the Combat tab*.
Label added to Saving Throws frame on the Combat tab.
Weapons frame enlarged slightly.
CR (challenge rating) field removed from Quest records.

As always, let me know if you encounter any problems...

*Note that armor that is only recorded in the Armor frame on the Combat tab (and not on the inventory list) will no longer be visible on the character sheet. This field can be found in the db.xml campaign file if anyone forgets what was recorded there - open the file in Notepad and search for <armor if you cannot find it. :)

vodokar
November 7th, 2016, 01:02
Really, Really, hate to do this. But...

AC, check penalty, speed penalty and fumble die are not calculating automatically based on armor equipped on the inventory list.
Dwarven Priest deed die not rolling.

and now for the bad news:

Opening any "Item" causes this:

Ruleset Error: window: Control(itemtype_label) anchoring to an undefined control (controlframe) in windowclass (item)
Ruleset Error: window: Control(itemtype_label) anchoring to an undefined control (controlframe) in windowclass (item)
Ruleset Error: window: Control(itemtype) anchoring to an undefined control (controlframe) in windowclass (item)
Ruleset Error: window: Control(itemtype) anchoring to an undefined control (controlframe) in windowclass (item)

leozelig
November 7th, 2016, 03:53
Weird, I will check it, but it was working fine for me earlier. I don't know if I will get to it before tomorrow.

leozelig
November 7th, 2016, 12:02
Ok, I think I fixed everything - try again.

Trenloe
November 8th, 2016, 04:49
I've just been playing my first couple of DCC sessions in a cool event for Halloween (and beyond) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34619-Halloween-One-Shot-for-DCC-RPG&p=299817&viewfull=1#post299817). I just want to give lots of respect to leozelig for this ruleset. This is a cut above the rest of community rulesets and plays very well. Great work - give it a go for lots of DCC old-school goodness!

leozelig
November 8th, 2016, 16:18
I've just been playing my first couple of DCC sessions in a cool event for Halloween (and beyond) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34619-Halloween-One-Shot-for-DCC-RPG&p=299817&viewfull=1#post299817). I just want to give lots of respect to leozelig for this ruleset. This is a cut above the rest of community rulesets and plays very well. Great work - give it a go for lots of DCC old-school goodness!

Thanks Trenloe! That is some high praise - I am touched :)

leozelig
November 8th, 2016, 16:56
I was browsing through the Mighty Deed of Arms rules last night, and I noticed the following little tidbit under the warrior class description...

Unlike other classes, warriors do not receive a fixed attack modifier at each level. Instead, they receive a randomized modifier known as a deed die. At 1st level, this is a d3. The warrior rolls this d3 on each attack roll and applies it to both his attack roll and his damage roll... The warrior always makes a new roll with this die in each combat round. When the warrior has multiple attacks at higher levels, the same deed die applies to all attacks in the same combat round.

and this...

Prior to any attack roll, a warrior can declare a Mighty Deed of Arms, or for short, a Deed. This Deed is a dramatic combat maneuver within the scope of the current combat... The Deed does not increase damage but could have some other combat effect: pushing back an enemy, tripping or entangling him, temporarily blinding him, and so on.

In other words, the deed die is only rolled once per round, and if a combat maneuver is performed as your deed, this effect (pushing, blinding, etc.) takes the place of the bonus to damage. Sooo... I am going to dissociate the deed die from attack and damage rolls. This requires a little more activity by the player (dragging the deed die result to the modifier stack), but the ruleset needs flexibility to run this mechanic correctly, unfortunately at the cost of a minor automation.

Other ideas for the character sheet:

Create additional fields for multiple action dice in a single weapon list entry
Allow the player to specify the ability score modifier for spell checks

Myrdin Potter
November 8th, 2016, 18:03
I think the deed die does the extra damage, but a roll of 3 or higher triggers the mighty deed if it was declared.

So one roll per round that applies to all attacks and damage.

On a 3 or higher, if a hit and if one was declared then a Mighty Deed happens.

The Mighty Deed does not do extra damage is what that rule is saying, not that the deed die does not.

leozelig
November 8th, 2016, 20:20
I think the deed die does the extra damage, but a roll of 3 or higher triggers the mighty deed if it was declared.

So one roll per round that applies to all attacks and damage.

On a 3 or higher, if a hit and if one was declared then a Mighty Deed happens.

The Mighty Deed does not do extra damage is what that rule is saying, not that the deed die does not.

Your interpretation is what most people seem to do in the games I have played, so I won't disagree with that. Some deeds might deal extra damage - precision shot, for example. It's all up to the judge ultimately.

Here's what I am working on now...

Myrdin Potter
November 8th, 2016, 22:23
We can always ask them on the rules. I think they have a G+ group or something similar.

They have a forum.

vodokar
November 8th, 2016, 23:51
The way that I have always interpreted the rule and still do after reading your post carefully is: the deed, in and of itself, doesn't always add any damage; it has some effect. In practice though, it sometimes does add damage. It just depends on what the deed was that was attempted, how the deed was written up, and what number was rolled. The same could be said about critical hits. Critical hits don't, in and of themselves, mean that you did more damage. But, sometimes they do.

To the point, though, none of this means that you don't add your Deed Die result to your damage roll when you do a Mighty Deed. It isn't an either/or thing. You always add your deed die result to both attack and damage. It just sometimes also can be used to declare a Mighty Deed.

Technically speaking, it is correct, that you would only roll the Deed die once each round and add that to all attacks, no matter how many the warrior (or warrior hybrid) made. However, I don't think this is practical to do in the software ruleset. I like the way it works now. Please don't change it just to make it more like pen and paper play.

Also, technically, you are indeed supposed to declare the Mighty Deed you want to perform before your roll your attack. However, in practice, I feel it slows play down by making the player choose a mighty deed that he might not even get to perform. That is why I wait to see the roll first and then ask what Deed they wanted to do if they succeeded. Mere practicality, that is all.

Oh, and that screenshot looks awesome.

leozelig
November 9th, 2016, 21:02
We can always ask them on the rules. I think they have a G+ group or something similar.

They have a forum.

I think you are right - for some reason, I locked onto that phrase and suddenly had a different impression of its meaning. That would happen to me a lot with AD&D :)

leozelig
November 9th, 2016, 21:10
This is what I am doing with spell checks. I eliminated any requirements for a specific class, so anyone can set up spells however they want. There are magic weapons out there that grant spells, so I needed to free things up a bit in that respect. I might move the Base Spell Check frame to the top...

I was thinking about making the disapproval range completely manual again so I don't have to worry about keeping up with all of the third party classes out there. Like the deed die, I know FG users have a general aversion to manual entry :)

My problem with the deed die is that the ruleset runs the game incorrectly with multiple attacks per round. I could store the value of the mighty deed roll. But what if someone is just messing around and rolls a deed die for their wizard - when is that stored value deleted? Or is it only stored if they are a warrior, dwarf, etc. (like the current version), which means that GMs who want to run custom classes cannot do so.

vodokar
November 9th, 2016, 22:25
You have me to blame for breaking your ruleset. :pirate:

I would leave the dissaproval as automatic, because otherwise, it is too easy for the player to forget about. I know it's more work to account for the extra classes, but really, you've already got that work done. I don't know of any right now that use the cleric spell mechanic that we haven't already addressed. Likely there will be a small addition when MCC comes out or if we try to incorporate some from Crawling Under a Broken Moon or CrawlJammer. But, they apparently weren't that tough to add. Magic items don't follow the normal mechanisms, so we don't have to account for that.

Breaking the spell check off as separate is a good idea though.

If there is a way to make the deed die roll separately and store the value for only one round and one round only regardless of how many attacks the character made, then that would be best, however, I think that would be too difficult to try to code. So, it's best that we just leave it. It would also cause issues with some classes that actually use the Deed Die for things alternate than attacking ex. thief luck die; barbarian damage resistance die.

leozelig
November 9th, 2016, 22:45
Trying to get everything in a uniform format and remove that horrid dice string cycler...

Moon Wizard
November 9th, 2016, 22:49
You're probably using the "basicdice" template from CoreRPG, which provides the decal of the dice shadows in the middle of the field. You might want to switch to using "simpledice" template, and define your own frames for default frame and drophilight frame.

Cheers,
JPG

leozelig
November 9th, 2016, 23:00
You have me to blame for breaking your ruleset. :pirate:

I think of it as exposing some weaknesses. It's always a work in progress...

If there is a way to make the deed die roll separately and store the value for only one round and one round only regardless of how many attacks the character made, then that would be best, however, I think that would be too difficult to try to code. So, it's best that we just leave it. It would also cause issues with some classes that actually use the Deed Die for things alternate than attacking ex. thief luck die; barbarian damage resistance die.

Currently the ruleset stores the deed die result until damage is rolled, after which it is deleted. If you have multiple attacks and roll both attacks before rolling damage, only the second deed die roll is stored, and this is deleted after the first damage (and before the second damage) is rolled. If I separate the mighty deed roll from the attack roll but save the result for subsequent attacks/damages, then ideally it should be deleted at some point - maybe when the character sheet is closed, for example, assuming I can figure out how to do that.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try to figure out a decent compromise.

leozelig
November 9th, 2016, 23:02
You're probably using the "basicdice" template from CoreRPG, which provides the decal of the dice shadows in the middle of the field. You might want to switch to using "simpledice" template, and define your own frames for default frame and drophilight frame.

Cheers,
JPG

I am - thanks for the suggestion, Moon. Those overlapping dice shadows are a little ugly :)

leozelig
November 10th, 2016, 02:57
What if Hugh the Barbarian was a Fantasy Grounds frame? Hmm...

vodokar
November 10th, 2016, 03:28
Ha Ha. That's awesome. Be careful about copywrite though. Don't know if you can actually use that.

leozelig
November 10th, 2016, 12:11
I am not going to use it - I just posted it for fun.

I think I am going to change the deed die to a basic setup but make the current automated deed die an extension since most games do not involve PCs with multiple attacks.

leozelig
November 11th, 2016, 02:12
Here is my solution to the automatic deed die - I created an option that you can toggle on|off, and I created a list in the DataCommon file for classes that use the deed die and deity disapproval so I only have to update one file for new classes.

I also cleaned up the diefield frame and removed some of the ability cyclers (saving throws and initiative) that will most likely never be used.

vodokar
November 11th, 2016, 03:01
You make this stuff sound so easy. Amazing job, as usual.

leozelig
November 13th, 2016, 17:10
Updated to v2.7 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG.pak)

Removed the stat cyclers for saving throw and initiative fields on the combat tab and replaced them with read-only modifiers.
Created option to auto-roll the deed die with attack/damage rolls (default = on) for warrior, dwarf, dwarven priest, paladin, and ranger classes.
Armor statistics were not calculating correctly when using armor AND a shield - fixed.
Added Subtype and Damage Type fields to the item record.
Removed the die cycler from the weapon and spell lists and replaced with 3 dice fields to account for higher level PCs with multiple action dice.
Created a Base Spell Check frame on the spells tab to specify (1) the ability bonus used for spell checks, and (2) miscellaneous modifiers that apply to all spell check rolls.

There were a few issues with weapons dragged to the inventory list not creating the proper entry in the weapon list:

If multiple damage dice were specified (e.g. 1d4/1d10 for a dagger), both dice were included in the damage field - changed so only the first die is acknowledged. Typically, the second damage die specifies backstab damage for thieves.
The bonus field was only applying to attacks, not damage - fixed.
The item ID function was not working properly - fixed.

FlightlessScotsman
November 14th, 2016, 22:39
Apologies if this was already addressed before, and I missed it. I think there's a bug in the weapons section under the combat tab of character sheet. When I "attach" a different action die it appears to default to a d20.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

vodokar
November 14th, 2016, 23:45
It will appear like a d20 probably, because there is no 3d model for a d16, but does it roll a d16 or a d20 when you make the roll? It will report in the chatbox which die was rolled.

FlightlessScotsman
November 15th, 2016, 00:24
It will appear like a d20 probably, because there is no 3d model for a d16, but does it roll a d16 or a d20 when you make the roll? It will report in the chatbox which die was rolled.

It's right there in the picture I attached. I tried multiple dice (d8, d12, d4) they all report as d20 in the chat frame.

FlightlessScotsman
November 15th, 2016, 00:28
... double post

leozelig
November 15th, 2016, 01:04
It's right there in the picture I attached. I tried multiple dice (d8, d12, d4) they all report as d20 in the chat frame.

It was definitely working for me when I tested it over the weekend, but I will check it again. Sometimes changes in other parts of the ruleset cause problems - I was definitely messing with the CharacterManager file quite a bit after I got the dice fields working, so maybe I did something to piss it off.

leozelig
November 15th, 2016, 01:54
Ok, it should be working now. Thanks for pointing that out FlightlessScotsman - it was an easy fix. I remember now changing the script because I had an idea about something (that I didn't end up doing), and I never changed the code back... if that makes any sense :)

But it works for me now. Let me know if the same is not true on your end. You can download from the same link above.

FlightlessScotsman
November 15th, 2016, 04:18
Awesome. I'll give it a look now.

EDIT:
Looks like the fix did the trick.

FlightlessScotsman
November 15th, 2016, 13:13
One more question. I'm kind of at a loss how to go about adding spells to the template module that you created. I'm assuming you have to unpack the module and hand edit the .xml files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for all of your hard work @leozelig

benjihad
November 15th, 2016, 17:08
One more question. I'm kind of at a loss how to go about adding spells to the template module that you created. I'm assuming you have to unpack the module and hand edit the .xml files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is something I read will be in a future core update. Spells aren't exportable yet, but they will be.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34882-Test-Release-v3-2-1

FlightlessScotsman
November 15th, 2016, 18:33
This is something I read will be in a future core update. Spells aren't exportable yet, but they will be.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34882-Test-Release-v3-2-1

I think we're referring to two different things (maybe?)

I was referring to this post in the thread https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24890-DCC-RPG-Ruleset&p=271874&viewfull=1#post271874

benjihad
November 15th, 2016, 19:16
I think we're referring to two different things (maybe?)

I was referring to this post in the thread https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24890-DCC-RPG-Ruleset&p=271874&viewfull=1#post271874

I had missed that post, thanks. I believe that yes, you have to edit the XML files in that module to add spells, just tried it out.
However, I gather we will have the ability to edit spells within FG without XML editing and be able to export them in the near future.

leozelig
November 16th, 2016, 01:09

That's right, I think I set it up so that you fill in the fields with the spell info and copy-paste the template to add additional spells. I have completed modules for everything except spell check tables - my spell entries end after the general description. Too bad I cannot share them. Take a crack at it and let me know if you can't get it to work. I'm sure I can help you figure it out.

benjihad
November 16th, 2016, 18:11
That's right, I think I set it up so that you fill in the fields with the spell info and copy-paste the template to add additional spells. I have completed modules for everything except spell check tables - my spell entries end after the general description. Too bad I cannot share them. Take a crack at it and let me know if you can't get it to work. I'm sure I can help you figure it out.

Page 450 in the new printing shows the OGL and it looks like anything that falls under the System Reference Document is fair game for distribution? Correct me if I'm mistaking the legal mumbo jumbo on that one. :D

Trenloe
November 16th, 2016, 19:03
Page 450 in the new printing shows the OGL and it looks like anything that falls under the System Reference Document is fair game for distribution? Correct me if I'm mistaking the legal mumbo jumbo on that one. :D
The OGL on page 450 calls out what is product identity (not covered by the OGL, can't be distributed without the owner's consent) and what is open content (can be distributed with an appropriate accompanying OGL):

The following items are hereby designated as Product Identity in accordance with Section 1(e) of the Open Game License, version 1.0: Dungeon Crawl Classics, DCC RPG, Mighty Deed of Arms, spell check, Luck check, spellburn, mercurial magic, corruption, disapproval, all spell names, all proper nouns, capitalized terms, italicized terms, artwork, maps, symbols, depictions, and illustrations, except such elements that already appear in the System Reference Document.

Designation of Open Content: Subject to the Product Identity designation above, such sections of Chapter One: Characters and Chapter Four: Combat as derive from the SRD are designated as Open Gaming Content.

Even DCC specific spell names can't be used.

So, benjihad, you're correct: if it's in the SRD you can use it, otherwise not.

However, this really doesn't help. Considering that the DCC spell descriptions are so completely different than the SRD spells - they include DCC specific table/s and other data, that you can't distribute more than the SRD spell names and any SRD data - that might not be DCC compatible/accurate.

For example, the SRD "Bless" spell is not used in DCC - it's called "Blessing", so you can't use the spell name (called out as "product identity"), even if you could, the SRD data for Bless is here: https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bless.htm Which doesn't really tie in with the DCC Blessing - which has a different duration and range, and then the Manifestation details and result table couldn't be included as these aren't in the SRD.

And look at the differences between the D&D staple Magic Missile! SRD: https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicMissile.htm and the DCC version (page 144 of 4th printing), there's very little that is the same from the SRD and all of the DCC flavour results/tables would be lost.

benjihad
November 16th, 2016, 19:54
So theoretically, I could take the 3.5E spells/monsters/magic items modules, change the ruleset to DCCRPG and use those as a guide to get started with some conversions? Is that something I can upload to here?

Trenloe
November 16th, 2016, 20:41
So theoretically, I could take the 3.5E spells/monsters/magic items modules, change the ruleset to DCCRPG and use those as a guide to get started with some conversions?
In theory you could. You'd be removing a lot of stuff, renaming/reorganising and then adding in DCC specific information - all of this would have to be done by manually editing the XML. It's up to you if you think this would be easier than taking the DCC specific template module here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24890-DCC-RPG-Ruleset&p=271874&viewfull=1#post271874 and copy/pasting to build a DCC relevant spell module.

Is that something I can upload to here?
As long as it is purely OGL/SRD content - and you include a relevant OGL, then you could upload it. But, as I say above, the majority of DCC spell information is *not* in the SRD, it is significantly different, so I really don't know what information of value you could upload?

benjihad
November 16th, 2016, 22:41
I really don't know what information of value you could upload?

It probably took some time to enter the data from the SRD. Saves me that time to be able to use these as a base, was hoping it might help someone else, too. Can click-drag to a character sheet without having to copy-paste everything. I'll do the monsters & magic items if there's more interest, eitherwise I'll keep my value-less info to myself! Hmph! ;)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18969129/3.5EspellTemplates.mod

Trenloe
November 16th, 2016, 23:09
Sorry, I thought you were going to modify the spells in that module specifically for DCC, and then share those, not just provide the 3.5E Spells module tagged for DCCRPG.

It's up to other if they feel this is of use. In my limited exposure to DCC the spell details are quite, quite different from those supplied in the 3.5e module. The couple of examples I refer to in post#219 are far from the exceptions, they're the norm. So, yeah, you can drag/drop a spell from the 3.5E spells module into your DCC character, but you'll have to change 95% of it (including the name for some of them), so it's just as easy (if not quicker) to manually the create the spells in the character.

For example, Chill Touch: The only thing that stays the same from 3.5e to DCC is the name and the range, everything else needs to be changed. IMHO - it's just as quick to manually add a spell and fill out the details/copy & paste from the PDF.

In the 3.5e spells mod there are 43 Wizard level 1 spells, in DCC there are 27. So a lot aren't even vaguely relevant to DCC.

I'm not viewing your info as value-less, I'm just struggling to see how, with the vast difference of spell data between 3.5e and DCC, this makes things more efficient/saves time. Or am I missing your point?

I think that time would be much better spent populating the spell template that Leo provided - one time copy/paste to get full DCC spell info in a module rather than copy/paste/edit every time a 3.5e spell is added to a PC.

benjihad
November 16th, 2016, 23:23
Page 126, second column:

There are 716 wizard spells. No more, no less. This number
is known because Leetore the Limicker, a great mage of the
fourth aeon, successfully contacted a somnolent elder god
that susurrated several secrets (in limerick form, of course)
before drowsing off forever. It is the measure of success for
every wizard to fill his spell book with as many of these 716
spells as can be found in his lifetime.

Thus, the spells that follow are by no means all the spells
in the world. They are merely some that are known among
the more quotidian wizards of Aéreth. As most wizards
will never see more than a few of these spells recorded together,
they are listed here as a convenience for play, nothing
more. Should your character ever know more than this
many spells, he will be a great mage.

Cleric spells are not so rigidly defined. Each god’s domain
offers both powers and limitations, such that the boundaries
of a cleric’s magic are a bit more flexible. And the gods
themselves change over time, of course.

:confused:
It's ok, you don't have to use them. Maybe someone will; be inspired! The SRD is a treasure trove!
I really only meant for one to be able to keep the spell name around for ideas, maybe effects, whatever. I'm working on adding spells still myself, and don't have 716 spell ideas right off the top of my head. Could be the spell misfires getting to me. It's not meant to be used as is.
I'll probably end up using the one leozelig made as a player template. Thanks!

vodokar
November 17th, 2016, 00:22
I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with Trenloe on this one. The mercurial nature of magic in DCC as represented by the Spell Check tables is vital to the balance of the game. Unless you plan to write up tables for each and every one of the spells that you import from elsewhere, they would represent a huge shift in power balance towards the wizard's camp -- and as Trenloe said, most of the spells resemble 3.5 spell in name only, but everything else is different.

I chose a completely different tactic than Leo did. I will present this as an alternative to using xml modules or at least as an add-on.

All of that was just for one spell "magic missile". If you imported from the module, it would only save you from making just the one spell description sheet which contained 6 short copy/pastes from a pdf, but you would be missing all the rest. Unless you plan to spend time looking up each table out of the book every time a spell is cast, you really have not saved but <1% of the time. Also, it greatly behooves you to put the work in up front, so that the time can be saved during play. It doesn't seem like it is a big deal looking up one little table in a book, but when you are a harried DM trying to herd the chickens and keep track of a million details all while telling a story, and looking up tables gets done routinely, it's worth putting it into fantasy grounds in a manner which is most useful to you.

Myrdin Potter
November 17th, 2016, 00:37
I assume those are tables in a story module? I can see adding xml for the base description and then the judge creating a "rules and tables" module for themselves for when the spell is actually cast.

vodokar
November 17th, 2016, 00:49
Yes, everything was entered into a story module manually with copy/paste or typing. This is for the DM. The only thing that the player gets is the normal Spell Description Sheet dragged to their character sheet. Whether you create those manually with copy/paste or import from an xml module, you still have 99% of the work left to do. It was a lot of work, but, it only needs to be done once and will reap the benefits for years to come.

Myrdin Potter
November 17th, 2016, 00:51
The advantage of being an accountant is having a high boredom threshold and once done it does not have to be done again.

Bedshaker
November 18th, 2016, 03:38
Tried installing it with FG 3.2.1 but it doesn't seem to work. The rule books don't seem to appear at all.

vodokar
November 18th, 2016, 04:04
What "rule books" are you referring to, Bedshaker? There are no rulebook modules for this ruleset, because it is not officially licensed. Leo created some for his own campaign, but isn't allowed to distribute them. Thus, the fact that "rulebooks" aren't appearing is because there are none.

Trenloe
November 18th, 2016, 04:56
Tried installing it with FG 3.2.1 but it doesn't seem to work. The rule books don't seem to appear at all.
Welcome to the FG forums Bedshaker.

What vodokar says is correct. A "ruleset" in Fantasy Grounds terms is the framework to run a game for a specific RPG system - the character sheet, NPC sheet, spell sheet, item sheet, etc., etc.. But, unless there is an official license (or Open Gaming License material available), you're going to have to enter the relevant rulebook data you want to use for your game. Keep it simple and just enter the character and NPC data you need to play - refer to the actual rulebooks while playing (just like you would in a face-to-face game).

leozelig
November 18th, 2016, 23:53
It took me a very long time to make those modules. I wouldn't consider my template a time saver by any means - I thought it would help someone who knows nothing about coding or module creation to get a start on it.

Goodman Games should just make this official and charge $10 like C&C for the rulebook, equipment, spells, and monsters modules I have already created (but cannot unleash on the world)... :)

vodokar
November 19th, 2016, 02:03
I know Goodman Games are kind of set in their ways, for whatever reason, but have you tried to contact any of the third party people that create ton's of content for the game? I know it's not the same thing as having the core books, but still, there's lots of content out there.

Myrdin Potter
November 19th, 2016, 05:20
Can always politely chase Goodman Games. There is no upfront cost to them in this case and they get more income from materials they have already created.

damned
November 19th, 2016, 05:54
Can always politely chase Goodman Games. There is no upfront cost to them in this case and they get more income from materials they have already created.

leozelig has contacted them several times and they dont seem interested...

Myrdin Potter
November 19th, 2016, 05:57
My experience is that these things change over time. With the two systems out there with a 5e license and the industry doing better, attitudes can change.

Sometimes takes an in person chance meeting.

If you are polite and like their games, who knows?

leozelig
November 20th, 2016, 12:44
Thanks Myrdin, good advice. I will try the 3PP angle and see if anyone has interest in selling modules on FG for use with this ruleset.

I am working on spells that can be created and dropped into the character sheet (like items), which was a feature added in 3.2.1 for 5e and the other major rulesets. When you click 'Create PC' in the Library, PCs, Items, Classes (empty unless you create a module, and purely for reference purposes), and Spells icons will show on the sidebar.

leozelig
November 20th, 2016, 16:39
I made a small update to the ruleset (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG.pak)...

Classes, Items, and Spells display in the sidebar when 'Create PC' option is selected in the Library.
Spells can be created, managed and exported within a campaign.

Currently, the classes menu is empty unless you create a module for it. So... I am also attaching a module file (with comments) to help people create classes. Open the module file with WinZip, and edit the client.xml file in Notepad++ or a similar app. Class records exist for reference purposes only, so don't get any grand ideas about dragging a class onto the character sheet and having every field auto-populate - only a crazy person would make the superhuman effort required for a feature like that! ;)

benjihad
November 21st, 2016, 02:02
It's possible, you just turn into this guy: Too many spell misfires (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18969129/SpellMisfire.jpg)

Thanks for the updates, leozelig, will give it a try.

Myrdin Potter
November 21st, 2016, 06:26
I only a crazy person would make the superhuman effort required for a feature like that! ;)

So you are saying you will have it for us sometime next week, then?

leozelig
November 24th, 2016, 15:20
Messing around with an extension for a 0-level funnel character sheet. The character sheet has 4 tabs, with each tab representing 1 funnel PC. The format is reminiscent of the Purple Sorcerer character sheet. The blank space is where weapons will be.

Myrdin Potter
November 24th, 2016, 16:13
Still waiting for the at par with 5e drag and drop functionality with autoparsing.

:-p

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for constantly upgrading the ruleset.

vodokar
November 24th, 2016, 17:38
Happy Thanksgiving Leo. I've been so down in the trenches with my own coding that I've totally forgotten to say thank you to you for everything that you have done on this project. Words could never express how much it means what you have brought to my life and our community.

The level 0 character sheet looks great, but I don't know that an extension is the right way to go. There are times when you will have level 0 characters when it's not a funnel, such as when a character death occurs. There is no standing official rule on what to do on this. But, what I have been using is that if your character dies, you create one that is 1 level below the one that died or 4 level 0, if that character was level 1.

Create the level 0 funnel sheet as a modified npc sheet. It can then co-exist with the normal character sheet and can be drag and dropped onto the player in order to share the level 0 character sheet to the player so they can control it. Or alternately, if there is another way to make the normal character sheet and the level 0 funnel character sheet co-exist with each other.

leozelig
November 24th, 2016, 18:26
Still waiting for the at par with 5e drag and drop functionality with autoparsing.

:-p

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for constantly upgrading the ruleset.

You guys are welcome! Thanks for the suggestions. I will brush up on my lua coding - I am really bad with parsing code.

Give me some examples of how you want the attack line to read so I understand how it's different. Do you want it to be exactly like 5e? PCs and NPCs? That level of complexity might not be worth the effort, but I like a challenge. :)

vodokar
November 24th, 2016, 18:43
Oh, my god, Leo is really going over the edge now. Someone call Arkham Asylum and let them know.

Myrdin Potter
November 24th, 2016, 18:54
You guys are welcome! Thanks for the suggestions. I will brush up on my lua coding - I am really bad with parsing code.

Give me some examples of how you want the attack line to read so I understand how it's different. Do you want it to be exactly like 5e? PCs and NPCs? That level of complexity might not be worth the effort, but I like a challenge. :)

I think that the key things that are needed is the framework for the modules so that we can easily cut and paste text into them.

I have converted enough adventures for 5e and DMed enough 5e games to know what I like - the automation of the attack role (hit or not hit with modifiers applied) and the automation of the spells that do direct damage that all run well from the combat tracker for the NPC and for the character tracker.

The ruleset itself seems very functional and I think you did an excellent job. Slowly adding more to it is good, but an easy framework for all of us to create reference manuals and spells and equipment in a good format so that we can drag and drop links into character sheets and adventures would be good. Anything that auto-populates onto the combat tracker is good. I think the easier it is for GM to create content and run games, the more that will use the ruleset. Hopefully my nudge to Goodman games results in something. In theory, I am about a 30 - 40 minute drive from their San Jose location, I can always picket them. :-)

I also think that increased and built in functionality for handling funnels and other pure DCC mechanics is great.

leozelig
November 24th, 2016, 19:24
The level 0 character sheet looks great, but I don't know that an extension is the right way to go. There are times when you will have level 0 characters when it's not a funnel, such as when a character death occurs.

Create the level 0 funnel sheet as a modified npc sheet. It can then co-exist with the normal character sheet and can be drag and dropped onto the player in order to share the level 0 character sheet to the player so they can control it. Or alternately, if there is another way to make the normal character sheet and the level 0 funnel character sheet co-exist with each other.

Well I doubt it will ever be shared - compatibility with the combat tracker and party sheet is highly unlikely without a lot of work that I don't plan to do.

Funnel adventures can get pretty crowded on FG with 3-4 PCs per player. For the last funnel I hosted, I shared images of the purple sorcerer sheets. We had 1 FG character sheet per player for making attack rolls and stuff. It was a little clumsy...

vodokar
November 24th, 2016, 20:03
Yes, hence why npc sheets are more the direction to go. Player logs in with a character that is named for themselves. You drag and drop npc sheets onto their character portrait. They receive and can control these npc sheets as their characters. npc sheets are already compatible with the combat tracker. Not sure about the party sheet, but that's not really that important.

Thus, if you can make modifications to the standard npc sheet, you can make this work. The level 0 sheet doesn't need to be fancy. They won't live long enough to appreciate it. ;). Similar to the standard npc sheet format with just simple attack line etc. Keep it small in size so that the player can comfortably have all four open at once, but functional enough to have the information they need.

Myrdin Potter
November 24th, 2016, 20:08
And the character that survives and becomes the PC then gets recreated on the character sheet.

Maybe make a monster that is a "zero level" template as well?

vodokar
November 24th, 2016, 20:09
Great idea, Myrdin.