PDA

View Full Version : DCC RPG Ruleset

Pages : 1 [2] 3

leozelig
November 25th, 2016, 02:40
You guys are getting carried away now :)

vodokar
November 25th, 2016, 02:53
Nah, actually just trying to save you some work. Repurpose what functionality already exists.

FlightlessScotsman
November 26th, 2016, 20:52
That's right, I think I set it up so that you fill in the fields with the spell info and copy-paste the template to add additional spells. I have completed modules for everything except spell check tables - my spell entries end after the general description. Too bad I cannot share them. Take a crack at it and let me know if you can't get it to work. I'm sure I can help you figure it out.

See screen capture image attached: I tried editing the client.xml file by copy and pasting the code block in the first red rectangle and putting it in the section inside the second red rectangle and changing the spell name, level, description, etc., but I'm pretty sure I'm doing it wrong. Is there any chance you could show me where/how I should be entering the spell data. Even if it was just a screen capture of part of your working client.xml file I can figure out what I'm doing wrong -- once I see what the code block is supposed to look like I'm perfectly content to fill in the blanks myself. I apologize, I'm not much of a coder.

Thanks in advance

leozelig
November 26th, 2016, 22:56
Of course - I will post an example later, maybe swapping in some SRD spells so I don't anger the copyright gods.

FlightlessScotsman
November 26th, 2016, 23:04
That'd be great. It could even be "foo, foobar" in place the actual text and that'd be fine. I'm just struggling with the syntax and where to put things.

leozelig
November 27th, 2016, 12:05
I used the bless entry from the SRD as an example. Let me know if this doesn't clarify it for you...

FlightlessScotsman
November 27th, 2016, 21:11
I used the bless entry from the SRD as an example. Let me know if this doesn't clarify it for you...

Perfect

Grey Hunter
January 8th, 2017, 18:44
Hi I'm getting some errors - I can't rename NPCs, and get red text on opening most images.

Ruleset Error: window: No vertical anchor defined for control (nonid_name) in windowclass (imagewindow_header)
Ruleset Error: window: Control (isidentified) anchoring to uncalculated control (nonid_name) in windowclass (imagewindow_header)

leozelig
January 8th, 2017, 21:42
Are you running the latest version of FG? I ran a game 2 days ago with no errors.

Grey Hunter
January 9th, 2017, 05:12
Yeah, I'm running FG V3.2.2. and DCC V2.8.

I downloaded the latest version of the module and that fixed an issue with duplicating the side bars, but now it seems that both the maps and the NPC's generate errors to do with their names - and I can't rename new NPC's.

Its odd.

damned
January 9th, 2017, 07:43
Yeah, I'm running FG V3.2.2. and DCC V2.8.

I downloaded the latest version of the module and that fixed an issue with duplicating the side bars, but now it seems that both the maps and the NPC's generate errors to do with their names - and I can't rename new NPC's.

Its odd.

3.2.2 is not the latest version of FG - it is still a test version :)
It breaks most 3.2.1 rulesets in some way....

Grey Hunter
January 9th, 2017, 09:34
Dammit, I must still have test versions checked from the last update that broke the 40k ruleset I was using. I'll see if I can roll back!

Thanks for the help!

vodokar
January 12th, 2017, 06:38
Leo, just to give you a heads up. If you haven't tested under 3.2, they moved a lot of things around and changed things in corerpg which is going to cause some bugs.

fpg909
January 18th, 2017, 20:53
As predicted the update has caused errors for DCC pack.

Ruleset Error: window: No vertical anchor defined for control (name) in windowclass (table_header)
Ruleset Error: window: No vertical anchor defined for control (name) in windowclass (table_header)

vodokar
January 18th, 2017, 21:30
I think Leo already has the fixes ready, but hasn't pushed them yet. Community developers are never notified prior to these things going live, and are usually gone at our day jobs when they do.

leozelig
January 19th, 2017, 02:07
Updated to v2.9 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG.pak)

I fixed an error with critical hit determination (again). Otherwise, this is mostly a compatibility update for FG 3.2.2.

leozelig
January 29th, 2017, 21:21
Uploaded (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG.pak) a minor bug fix, a very basic class record, and additional string fields for spell records (general, manifestation, corruption, and misfire).

Screenshots below...

vodokar
January 29th, 2017, 23:58
Oh, just great. Now I'm going to have to re-do everything. Stomp Stomp. You couldn't have done that like 4 months ago. ;) He he.

leozelig
January 30th, 2017, 00:53
Oh, just great. Now I'm going to have to re-do everything. Stomp Stomp. You couldn't have done that like 4 months ago. ;) He he.

I had the same thought as I spent a couple hours rearranging a bunch of stuff in my module file :D

vodokar
January 30th, 2017, 01:03
Seriously though, I had a thought. Can you add a second tab, similar to how some npc sheets in rulesets are, that accepts formatted text. This could be used to put the spell check tables.

leozelig
January 31st, 2017, 02:47
Seriously though, I had a thought. Can you add a second tab, similar to how some npc sheets in rulesets are, that accepts formatted text. This could be used to put the spell check tables.

Done. Good suggestion. The download link is the same as above.

vodokar
January 31st, 2017, 03:33
I love it. Will be nice to be able to have it all in one convenient place.

benjihad
February 4th, 2017, 08:01
Taking a look at implementing a more permanent list of items in the software finally and noticing that the fields don't change anymore depending on the item type. In a previous version of the ruleset, one could state 'weapon' or 'equipment' as type and the fields would change depending on the item type designated. Any chance that could be implemented again or a radio button/toggle to switch between types? Selecting 'weapon' type for instance doesn't currently bring up and fields for inserting dice for damage, and attempting to create items in the character sheet doesn't keep any of the data if dragged to the Items window.

Thanks for doing regular updates!

leozelig
February 4th, 2017, 12:38
I will check it out. Did you try capitalizing 'Weapon' or 'Armor'? I wanted it to be a little more customizable with the text field rather than string cycler, but if it isn't working, I will change it back.

benjihad
February 4th, 2017, 17:04
Yeah, I was case-sensitive when typing it in and it's not doing anything to change the fields.

leozelig
February 4th, 2017, 21:48
Working on it. It is definitely supposed to switch fields for Weapon and Armor types, so something is broken.

leozelig
February 5th, 2017, 12:25
Fixed bug with fields not showing on the item record for types weapon and armor.

Download here (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27122160/DCCRPG.pak).

benjihad
February 5th, 2017, 18:47
Seems to be working again now, thanks for the quick update!

Myrdin Potter
March 11th, 2017, 05:41
You know this already since it happened in the game tonight, but dragging and dropping a result from the chat window to a creature in the combat tracker throws a script error.

vodokar
March 11th, 2017, 06:12
There was a game tonight? Why am I not receiving notification of such? I would have loved to have reprised the roles of the ShatterBreaker Brothers.

leozelig
March 11th, 2017, 12:42
You know this already since it happened in the game tonight, but dragging and dropping a result from the chat window to a creature in the combat tracker throws a script error.

It was a simple fix before. I don't know why it is broken again, but I will figure it out.

hey vodokar, good question :)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36931-DCC-RPG-1-2-Players-for-Glipkerio-s-Gambit-Fri-Mar-3-from-9-11PM-EST-(GMT-5)

I seem to recall that the Shatterbreaker bros. are now the Shatterbreaker bro.

Myrdin Potter
March 11th, 2017, 17:20
I was about to point out the LFP post. :-)

It is amusing to be a player in the ruleset developer's game and toss up an error. It is also fun to play sometching that is not 5e and not worry so much about all the automation that does not exist. The DCC ruleset is quite good, automates the key things and the rest you just do manually.

It does need auto elf to dwarf taunting, though. Maybe next version. :-D

vodokar
March 11th, 2017, 20:26
Not sure how I missed the posting. I'm usually watching the forums like a hawk. The last episode we were able to make was The Doom of the Savage Kings when we just entered into the dungeon. Both Brothers were still alive at that point. Anyway, it was totally unintentional to miss after that one; I was going thru some really tough and dark times during the making of my ruleset at the time and it just slipped my mind. Since then, I had been hoping to get back into the game if possible.

leozelig
March 12th, 2017, 13:04
Not sure how I missed the posting. I'm usually watching the forums like a hawk. The last episode we were able to make was The Doom of the Savage Kings when we just entered into the dungeon. Both Brothers were still alive at that point. Anyway, it was totally unintentional to miss after that one; I was going thru some really tough and dark times during the making of my ruleset at the time and it just slipped my mind. Since then, I had been hoping to get back into the game if possible.

I think you missed the last session or two. The gang was ambushed by hunters sent by Jarl when they left the tomb, and half the party went down, including both Shatterbreakers. The priest rushed over and healed his brother, but he was cut down right after. The other cleric was busy healing the wizard, and I think another PC succeeded on his "roll the body" check (the dwarven priest did not).

Anyway, there will be other games. I was recording the Doom of the Savage Kings games with OBS, but that session, the recording failed to save. Too bad, I was going to post it in 30-minute episodes as an example of DCC on FG!

leozelig
March 12th, 2017, 13:47
I fixed the hit/miss determination for attack rolls dragged to the CT from the chat window. The error was coming from the critical threshold determination, which is nil if the attack wasn't rolled from a PC or NPC sheet. I added back the [CRIT ##] message for improved critical hit range and cleaned up some of the attack manager script for two-weapon fighting.

Download here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/s15l4wdj62an86j/DCCRPG.pak?dl=0).

Myrdin, I'm glad you don't mind the "automation lite" status of the ruleset. I find that too much automation sometimes over-complicates things...

Zhern
March 12th, 2017, 15:42
If there is going to be automated elf to dwarf taunting then the reverse is necessary also! I too really enjoy the ruleset and have taken inspiration from it for the S&W ruleset (I'll finish it one day!). Once again, had a great time and thanks for running it, Leo!

leozelig
March 13th, 2017, 23:36
JPG deserves the credit! Most of the ruleset was borrowed/modified from 3.5E :)

I've had a lot of fun gaming with you guys - thanks for playing!

leozelig
March 25th, 2017, 15:23
I fixed a small bug with the spell records. If the Corruption and Manifestation fields are empty, they should be hidden when the record is locked. They were staying hidden at all times, even when unlocked and not empty.

Also, links to the ruleset in older posts (except for #1) will not work because the DropBox link has changed. Download here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/s15l4wdj62an86j/DCCRPG.pak?dl=0).

Cheers,
Leo

Mentalic
April 11th, 2017, 05:04
I just picked this up. Its weird. I looked at the online tutorials but some stuff works differently? Like, when making an item, I can't cycle through the types. Instead, I have to type in the word weapon, then it brings up the damage fields, etc.

Trenloe
April 11th, 2017, 05:17
I just picked this up. Its weird. I looked at the online tutorials but some stuff works differently? Like, when making an item, I can't cycle through the types. Instead, I have to type in the word weapon, then it brings up the damage fields, etc.
This is pretty standard for the FG d20 based rulesets. 3.5E, 5E, etc. all have a freeform field for item type. It allows custom item types to be entered.

This ruleset is based on 3.5E, so "Weapon" and "Armor" will show different fields. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/3.5E_Item_Sheet

Mentalic
April 11th, 2017, 05:59
I get it. Its just weird since in the video below, the guy just clicked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMZlJCGu3zg

Trenloe
April 11th, 2017, 06:25
I get it. Its just weird since in the video below, the guy just clicked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMZlJCGu3zg
That video's a year old. Things get updated/changed. The video shows v2.0, we're now on v2.9 of the ruleset. Lots of updates and changes.

leozelig
April 11th, 2017, 11:53
I updated the character creation video, the others are overdue for an update.

SoulCatcher78
April 23rd, 2017, 16:53
Thank you for putting this together and the continued work. I just started with DCC and have been trying to find a way to play since I live in the middle of nowhere for RPG gaming. You're a dream come true leozelig!

leozelig
April 24th, 2017, 01:33
Thank you for putting this together and the continued work. I just started with DCC and have been trying to find a way to play since I live in the middle of nowhere for RPG gaming. You're a dream come true leozelig!

You are welcome! Send me a PM if you have any questions.

I run DCC games fairly regularly. If you're interested, keep an eye on the LFG forums. The next two Wednesdays, I am running Sailors on the Starless Sea (9-11p ET), so feel free to jump in if you're around.

leozelig
April 27th, 2017, 11:57
Found a bug. Critical hit notification error when a combat tracker effect increases the attck die (Entangled, for example).

This is easy enough to fix, but I am working on some major changes to the character sheet, so I might not get to it for awhile.

Nylanfs
April 27th, 2017, 13:04

Welcome to the forums and FG community!

leozelig
April 28th, 2017, 11:04
Here is a preview of what I am working on. Now that I understand the code better, I am trying to bring this closer to 5e functionality (keyword closer) and maybe clean up some of the code.

leozelig
May 13th, 2017, 20:19
I am slowly chipping away at some updates...

leozelig
May 27th, 2017, 03:34
I posted an update to fix a couple of (obscure) bugs:

Critical hit threshold was not adjusting for effects that increase the attack die.
Mighty deed modifier (extra bonus to deed die at higher levels) was not adding to the attack roll.

Download link in the OP.

I am still working on significant changes to the character sheet, pulling in some 5E features and mixing up the layout. If I ever get it all sorted out, maybe you will see it someday.

Myrdin Potter
May 27th, 2017, 18:17
Always appreciate the improvements you bring to the ruleset.

turelus
June 13th, 2017, 18:29
Wanted to pop in and say a huge thanks for the ruleset.

Will be running my first DCC game tonight!

hereander
July 10th, 2017, 15:27
Hi there and thanks a lot for the DCC ruleset!

I would like to start playing with some DCC newbies and I am wondering what is the best way to transport that DCC funnel experience in FG (rolling stats, weird dice...).
As a lot of DCC modules are funnels I guess that quite a few people here have experience in how to handle the number of 0-level chars and stat-rolling in an enjoyable way?

Second, do you think it would be possible to create an extension with pictures of the dice in the dicechain that you can click to roll? Something similar to the icons in the Starwars EotE ruleset.

leozelig
July 11th, 2017, 01:58
I would like to start playing with some DCC newbies and I am wondering what is the best way to transport that DCC funnel experience in FG (rolling stats, weird dice...).
As a lot of DCC modules are funnels I guess that quite a few people here have experience in how to handle the number of 0-level chars and stat-rolling in an enjoyable way?

Funnels are tricky on FG. I toyed with making an extension for funnels with a one-page character sheet, but condensing things was tough. Here are some suggestions...

Create pregens that players select when they login, or organize a "session 0" (or would it be session -1?) just to prep char sheets and make sure everything is working.
Stat rolling is easier than in live games once you figure it out. Right click the d6 and select 3, then roll. Chat will do the math. Results can be dragged from chat to char sheet.
The % dice and d30 (for lucky roll) are under the custom dice menu for d10 (right click to access). The d24 is under the d12 - for equipment. Drag these to hot keys if you want to speed things up.
Prepare a unique portrait for each player - images of Hugh and the gang can be cropped from product images on the GG website for example. The same portrait is assigned to every character sheet for that player. You will appreciate this tip more as a judge when you see 15+ portraits across the top of your desktop (in no particular order).
Consider dropping one zero per player into the combat tracker - specifically the one rolling initiative so they auto-sort. I have dropped all of them in there and had each roll initiative (the combat tracker menu has a button to auto-roll all initiatives), which is fine depending on your comfort level with FG. I usually have the zero with the best init bonus roll, and then all zeroes for that player act on that init count.
When a zero dies, clear it from the desktop (right click the portrait image). Remember to clean up the combat tracker as you go. It will delay things for a few secs, but you will quickly get confused if you don't and probably kill the same zero twice at some point.
The party sheet is useful as a GM for quickly scanning luck scores, occupations, etc. if you don't mind taking the time to drop everyone in there. Don't forget to clear the dead ones!
Mass combats are tough, even with the combat tracker. As with PCs, FG offers diminishing returns as you start dropping dozens of NPCs into the combat tracker. I blelieve you can drop NPC attack/damage rolls onto desktop portraits, which is much easier than targeting on the combat tracker if that kind of fight breaks out.

Second, do you think it would be possible to create an extension with pictures of the dice in the dicechain that you can click to roll? Something similar to the icons in the Starwars EotE ruleset.

Cool, I haven't seen that before. It takes up some space on the desktop, so I would have to see what that looks like. I have been messing around with some other changes, but I haven't had much time lately. I have tried some changes only to realize that I made the char sheet 10x more complicated, which I think goes against the DCC aesthetic. Let us know how the funnel goes!

leozelig
July 29th, 2017, 13:17
I haven't had much time to work on this lately, but I have been chipping away at it - moving things around and back again. Most of the new stuff (skills/powers similar to 5E) is working. Most of the combat tab has been moved to pop-up windows on the main tab, which has orphaned a few fields like the fumble die, armor check penalty, and the deed die. I am currently linking the crit/fumble/deed dice to the weapons frame, and armor check penalty lives under encumbrance (for now). If I ever find the time, I might create a Mutant Crawl Classics extension.

Myrdin Potter
July 29th, 2017, 15:58
Always happy to see the constant improvements you add to this ruleset! In my spare time, I have been converting free RPG day or other free modules (funnels) over to FG. Might run some next FG Con day.

leozelig
July 30th, 2017, 23:04
Always happy to see the constant improvements you add to this ruleset! In my spare time, I have been converting free RPG day or other free modules (funnels) over to FG. Might run some next FG Con day.

Count me in for that ;)

leozelig
August 20th, 2017, 13:52
The next version of the DCC RPG ruleset is ready, but I am going to wait until the next FG update is released (probably after Gen Con).

Please save a copy of your campaign before updating. The changes are significant, and the new version will almost certainly cause problems with existing campaign data or equipment/spell modules. I am not a professional coder so you will not see an automatic version updater. I can help you salvage any campaign or module data if this is a major problem for your group. The updates are worth the trouble IMO, but if you disagree, version 2.9 will remain available for download.

Here are a few of the changes:

Desktop buttons for dice swaps (+1d, +2d, -1d, and -2d).
Extensive layout changes to match the basic 5E theme.
Several calculations have been moved to pop-up windows accessible by clicking the magnifying glass icon.
Enhanced customization of skills, including ability modifiers and armor check penalty.
Item weights are hidden by default, with an option to show if desired.
Added an actions tab similar to 5E for weapons and powers.
Added buttons at the top of the weapons section for easy rolling of crit, fumble, and deed dice. (No more clicking between tabs to roll the crit die!)
Deed die result is now visible as a field (in a pop-up window for weapons) and remains constant until the die is re-rolled. This fixes an issue with multiple attacks per round re-rolling the deed die for each attack instead of once per round.
Two-weapon fighting is now a weapon type in the weapons list. Primary or off hand is specified in the weapon detail.
Added fields for spells by level, number of spells known, and max spell level. These hide when not in 'preparation' mode.
Added powers functionality similar to 5E. Power action types may be customized as cast, damage, heal, or effect.
Fixed a few bugs.

I will post some tips for using the new ruleset in the near future. The improved functionality has definitely increased the complexity, and not everyone is familiar with 5E.

Myrdin Potter
August 20th, 2017, 15:10
It is truly great that you keep improving this ruleset!

leozelig
August 21st, 2017, 17:30
Blog post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/entry.php?296-Looking-ahead-to-a-major-DCC-RPG-ruleset-update!) with a preview of the ruleset.

leozelig
September 16th, 2017, 13:05
I am planning to post the new ruleset for download whenever FG v3.3.2 becomes available (Sept 18?). In the meantime, here (https://youtu.be/fbRcx8e3Lec) is a video showing 0-level character creation with the updated ruleset...

leozelig
September 20th, 2017, 23:06
Update 3.0.0 is available here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/vj19fl11n0nm39q/DCCRPG.pak?dl=0).

The ruleset does not have a conversion script, so some of the information from the old character sheet might not display on the new one. To prevent a catastrophe with your existing campaign, I strongly recommend that you save a copy of your campaign folder BEFORE running the updated ruleset. The old ruleset (2.9 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/s15l4wdj62an86j/DCCRPG29.pak?dl=0)) will remain available for download in case you need to revert to that. I should be able to help you work through any problems with your character sheets, so send me a PM if you need help.

Here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/entry.php?296-Looking-ahead-to-a-major-DCC-RPG-ruleset-update!) is a brief summary of the changes. The wiki for the 5E ruleset is a good place to look for help if you are confused since most of the updates are derived from that ruleset.

Indarien
September 21st, 2017, 15:11
Thanks for your work on this. The new version has a lot of nice features that I was waiting for. :)

Myrdin Potter
September 21st, 2017, 15:28
I love the steady improvements you have been making!

leozelig
October 7th, 2017, 15:24
Release v3.0.1 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/vj19fl11n0nm39q/DCCRPG.pak?dl=0)

Updates (mostly mirroring FG v3.3.3)

Sub-frames in combat tracker were overlapping field labels. Fixed.
Extra fields added to Item sub-list and NPC sub-list windows when button pressed again before closing window. Fixed.
Added multiple fields to class records with plans for continued development and possible drag-and-drop functionality.

Myrdin Potter
October 8th, 2017, 04:49
Thanks for the update.

leozelig
October 28th, 2017, 12:21
Release v3.0.2 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/vj19fl11n0nm39q/DCCRPG.pak?dl=0)

Drag-and-drop classes onto the 'Class & Level' section of the character sheet to add a level, roll random hit points, and auto-populate Skills, Features, Proficiencies, and Languages.

damned
October 28th, 2017, 14:49
Nice work Mr Zelig!

leozelig
October 29th, 2017, 02:58
Thanks, damned!

I should add that the class feature 'Languages' for wizard and demi-human classes will parse correctly if you enter/paste the text exactly as it appears in the rule book. Also, if you enter the thief skills exactly as I have in the screenshot, the relevant ability modifiers will auto-populate in the skill list as well.

Myrdin Potter
October 29th, 2017, 03:29
So don't cut and paste from the PDF for thief skills, list them as per your screenshot? The rulebook has a paragraph that starts with "A thief can pick lock ...". Don't cut and paste it, list it like your example?

JohnD
October 29th, 2017, 03:41
I've never played or looked at this ruleset but I just wanted to say what you're working on here is pretty impressive IMO.

Indarien
October 29th, 2017, 05:14
Thanks for the awesome work on this ruleset, between this and Crawler's Companion my life as a DCC GM is almost too easy. ;)

leozelig
October 29th, 2017, 12:36
So don't cut and paste from the PDF for thief skills, list them as per your screenshot? The rulebook has a paragraph that starts with "A thief can pick lock ...". Don't cut and paste it, list it like your example?

Yes, list only the names as skill proficiencies - the order isn't important, but I think capitalization does matter if you want the ability mods to populate correctly. I pasted the paragraph you are referencing in the 'Thieving Skills' feature. In 5E, I believe the skill descriptions are pulled from the Library, but that is more complicated in an unlicensed (but free!) ruleset. I plan to continue working on it.

leozelig
October 29th, 2017, 12:39
I've never played or looked at this ruleset but I just wanted to say what you're working on here is pretty impressive IMO.

Thanks for the awesome work on this ruleset, between this and Crawler's Companion my life as a DCC GM is almost too easy. ;)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement! :)

Myrdin Potter
October 29th, 2017, 14:42
Where/What do I put languages to make them auto populate? To be more specific, for dwarf is the the entire paragraph that starts "At 1st level," or can you start at "A dwarf" since it looks like it populates from the feature?

Is there an official list of “features” per class?

For spellcasters, does the number of spells per level populate if I use “spellcasting” as the feature?

Myrdin Potter
October 29th, 2017, 21:13
To give you an example, here is my Warrior features list:

Would you include Action Dice for each class as a feature?

For Clerics, Wizards and Elves, is there an equivalent to the 5e "spellcasting" feature that populates spell slots?

Myrdin Potter
October 30th, 2017, 17:59
This a change inspired me to start entering rules into a "manual" again.

sturtus
October 30th, 2017, 18:26
Incredible. Thank you! As the guy that made the character sheet and API scripts for Roll20 DCC, I can tell you I will never look at that code again and will play DCC in FG from here on out. Great work!

Myrdin Potter
October 31st, 2017, 01:23
I am now entering all the spells.

What is school and source in the standard spell?

School - Wizard or Cleric?

Source - Core rulebook and page number or where the character got the spell?

Myrdin Potter
October 31st, 2017, 17:34
And one more question on entering spells.

I want to slowly create rollable tables for the misfire and manifestations and such for the spells. I can drag and drop links into the bottom, unlabeled field (which I also use to put the text for the results table). How come the text boxes for the misfire and such do not accept links?

Myrdin Potter
November 3rd, 2017, 02:12
Ok, onto equipment.

Can you detail what goes into each box for equipment?

If you type Weapon as the type the weapon box opens up.

Range seems to be a small box for short/medium/long.

Damage type? In DCC?

Can you provide a few screen shots or explanation about what the ruleset is expecting?

Trogodo
January 7th, 2018, 11:26
Thank you for creating such awesome module. Thank you for still improving it.
We're using it with friends that cannot attend phisically to our games and it is great.

glmacedo
January 24th, 2018, 03:20
Anyone knows what happens to the YouTube video? Did it have to be removed or something?

Also - anyone heard anything on an actively supported (by FG or GG) version of the ruleset? I just don't have enough time to create all the tables (and even if I had, don't know how to !ale them in the awesome format that was shown on the original videos)

Thanks for the work so far and I would be more than happy to contribute $$$ should this ever move forward!

G.

JohnD
January 24th, 2018, 03:50
GG isn't interested in our money.

glmacedo
January 24th, 2018, 04:12
:(. :( That is indeed sad :( :(

Will need to rethink and maybe just adapt the adventures that I already have to 5E :(

LordEntrails
January 24th, 2018, 04:18
:(. :( That is indeed sad :( :(

Will need to rethink and maybe just adapt the adventures that I already have to 5E :(
Or check out the MoreCore ruleset. It won't automate things, but it has configurable character sheets and numerous types of rolls. And if you need a different type of roll and can explain it, someone may create it for you.

Myrdin Potter
January 24th, 2018, 07:58
You can easily enter the tables into the ruleset using the two table entering extensions. I have a lot of the rules entered and it really did not take so much time.

I am not sure what the advice to use MoreCore is about as this ruleset is quite good for DCC.

I have pinged Goodman Games a few times about FG and no reply. You should email them a polite email and ask.

glmacedo
January 24th, 2018, 12:35
You can easily enter the tables into the ruleset using the two table entering extensions. I Jane a lot of the rules entered and it really did not take so much time.

I am not sure what the advice to use MoreCore is about as this ruleset is quite good for DCC.

I have pinged Goodman Games a few times about FG and no reply. You should email them a polite email and ask.

Awesome - didn't know about those... Will definitely try them out!

Myrdin Potter
January 24th, 2018, 14:36
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40812-5E-Table-Importer

This is one of them. I will look for the other one as well.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40821-CSV-Table-Paster-Community-Extension-Early-Access-release

And the other one.

You do not have to have every table and spell entered. Break the task into smaller pieces and it goes pretty fast.

LordEntrails
January 24th, 2018, 15:26
My fault. I was under the impression this ruleset wasn't working/supported anymore.

leozelig
January 26th, 2018, 02:34
Working on a small update for CoreRPG 3.3.4:

Attack dice can be added to NPC attacks (optional): Bite d20-1 melee (1d3).
Damage and heal actions can be assigned multipliers on stat bonuses.
Multiple damage types not parsing correctly. Fixed.
Rolling the hit die from the classes dialog box generates an error. Fixed.

I hope to make some new tutorial videos soon. I have borrowed much of the code from 5E, so when in doubt, check the 5E user guide.

I have created modules for all of the core rules - reference manual, equipment, spells, and monsters... but sadly, I do not have permission from GG to share.

As always, post bugs here.

Myrdin Potter
January 26th, 2018, 19:58
Always happy yo see improvements and I am getting closer and closer to running a campaign using it. Thanks!

leozelig
February 7th, 2018, 02:18
Ruleset updated to 3.0.3

Range field for weapons changed to string to allow for short, medium, and long range entry (i.e. 10/20/30).
Armor check penalty button for skills is hidden when penalty not applied and not in edit mode.
Added size field to Notes tab of character sheet (default = medium) for conditional effects.
Added size and type fields to NPC record for conditional effects. Space and reach for map tokens are auto-calculated from size (default = 5/5).
Weights for equipped items were not added to total when 'Variant' encumbrance option enabled. Fixed.
AC was not recalculating when equipped armor is deleted from inventory. Fixed.
Weapons remained in the weapon list when deleted from inventory. Fixed.

See post #341 for other changes. Thanks to JPG for helping me understand the last two bugs on the list.

Let me know if you run into any problems.

Myrdin Potter
February 7th, 2018, 05:13
Thanks for the constant improvements to this.

benjihad
February 7th, 2018, 11:26
Excellent turnaround, thanks! :cool:

leozelig
February 17th, 2018, 14:58
I uploaded a quick fix for the 'Hand' field in the weapon dialog box. The 'Primary' and 'Off Hand' labels were not displaying in the string cycler.

benjihad
February 19th, 2018, 08:17
Having an issue with the attack die field on the actions tab of the character sheet. No matter what I set it to, I get the error message when attempting to test roll-to-hit:
"Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/char_weapon.lua"]:106: attempt to compare nil with number"

Also, usually I create weapons in the main items tab first, then copy over to a character sheet inventory.
In that process, the damage type doesn't transfer over to the weapon window on the actions tab of the character sheet. Minor inconvenience on that one though since I can easily type that in or copy it over from the item.

Edit: I think I figured it out the first issue. I didn't notice the little magnifying glass on the top of the actions tab for setting weapon meta info, and once I set the crit die, that seemed to clear the above error!

Suggestion: Maybe move that magnifying glass down a notch next to the Fumble/Crit/Deed die roll buttons so it's a little more visible?

I guess my eyes are beginning to exhibit signs of aging, must've been from reading the 5pt font in the Chivalry & Sorcery red book. :cry:

Mentalic
April 7th, 2018, 21:31
The ruleset is awesome. Thanks a ton for this.

Question: Is there a way to autoroll on the created tables (for monsters and PCs) when a crit happens? Or, for PCs, when clicking on the "Crit" button on the character sheet?

leozelig
April 7th, 2018, 23:10
I could set up auto-roll for crits and fumbles, but I didn't know if that would take away the fun of rolling. I didn't want to over-automate things, if that makes any sense.

Mentalic
April 7th, 2018, 23:33
If there were an option, I would use it (both as a DM and a Player). Maybe make it an option?

Thanks for the reply, btw!

leozelig
April 7th, 2018, 23:39
Yeah, that's a thought. I will play around with it and see what I can do.

Mentalic
April 7th, 2018, 23:42
I appreciate you looking into it. Do you have a Patreon or something, by the way? I would love to buy you a beer.

leozelig
April 7th, 2018, 23:58
No Patreon, I don't want to ruin the fun by getting paid for this. I would take a beer though :)

I am updating the ruleset for CoreRPG 3.3.5 which is set to release the week after FG Con, so I will try to put something together by then.

leozelig
April 9th, 2018, 11:40
Somehow I missed your post, benjihad...

Having an issue with the attack die field on the actions tab of the character sheet. No matter what I set it to, I get the error message when attempting to test roll-to-hit:
"Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/char_weapon.lua"]:106: attempt to compare nil with number"
Edit: I think I figured it out the first issue. I didn't notice the little magnifying glass on the top of the actions tab for setting weapon meta info, and once I set the crit die, that seemed to clear the above error!

This will be fixed in the next release, which should be sometime next week. Currently, it only happens until you open the weapon meta dialog box, as you mention.

Also, usually I create weapons in the main items tab first, then copy over to a character sheet inventory.
In that process, the damage type doesn't transfer over to the weapon window on the actions tab of the character sheet. Minor inconvenience on that one though since I can easily type that in or copy it over from the item.

I don't know if I follow. I recommend creating item records (accessed through the 'Items' icon in the sidebar) and dropping them into the inventory, which will auto-create a weapon entry on the Actions tab. I think that's what you are doing if I understand correctly, so of course, the damage type is supposed to transfer. By design, only the first damage clause transfers to the weapon list and only one range type - so a dagger will create a ranged entry but not melee. I will take a look and hopefully have it fixed for the next release.

Suggestion: Maybe move that magnifying glass down a notch next to the Fumble/Crit/Deed die roll buttons so it's a little more visible?

I was blind to the magnifying glass button on the 5E character sheet also, but it became much more obvious once I realized it was there. I want the buttons to be consistently placed across tabs, but if I have time, I will experiment with a different button icon/color to make it more visible.

leozelig
April 19th, 2018, 03:30
Updated to version 3.0.4:

Compatibility with CoreRPG 3.3.5.
Script error when rolling deed/crit/fumble before opening weapon meta dialog box for first time. Fixed.
Improved sort 'by HD' for NPC list (button at top, not filter at bottom). See screenshot below.
Damage type field removed from weapon record. Damage type should be entered in the damage clause (e.g. 1d3 nonlethal) and will parse correctly for drops to inventory.
Weapon record requires subtype to include 'ranged' or 'missile' in order to parse correctly for drops to inventory. See screenshot below.
Added option to auto-roll crit die and/or fumble die. NPCs that do not specify a crit table/die using the format for monster crits in the rulebook (e.g. M/d6) will roll a d4. See screenshot below.
Party sheet rolls will be placed in tower, if hidden rolls enabled.
Class and level combined into a single field on the party sheet and will now populate correctly.
Script error for party sheet attack rolls. Fixed.
Results of tower rolls will always be hidden.
Skill checks, ability checks and saving throws made by GM will be hidden based on combat tracker visibility of creature, if creature in combat tracker.

Download linked in post #1.

Myrdin Potter
April 19th, 2018, 03:49
\o/

Thanks for keeping this getting better all the time.

leozelig
May 1st, 2018, 02:03
Updated to 3.0.5:

Added XP tab to the party sheet and XP fields to encounters/quests.

This is a minor feature but has been on my list for a long time. :)

5lippy
June 12th, 2018, 15:50
Hi guys,

This maybe a stupid question but...

If I were to download this module, does it include a version of the rules equivalent to those I already have ?

Also, does it included character sheets etc.

Finally, does this module rely on having any other materials (e.g. core rpg) ?

Thanks

damned
June 12th, 2018, 15:53
Hi guys,

This maybe a stupid question but...

If I were to download this module, does it include a version of the rules equivalent to those I already have ?

Also, does it included character sheets etc.

Finally, does this module rely on having any other materials (e.g. core rpg) ?

Thanks

Some questions are best answered by downloading and trying it out.
It cannot include library material for copyright reasons.
Mechanics and feature-wise it is a very good ruleset and well worth a run if you like DCC.

5lippy
June 12th, 2018, 16:23
I love DCC. I have loaded this up and without creating a bunch of characters and creating NPC's I cannot see yet what this module can do.

Is there a way to create your own NPC's in Fastasy Grounds ? Thinking of maybe remaking a DCC module for example, how to I get the creatures in ?

Thanks

Trenloe
June 12th, 2018, 17:14
I love DCC. I have loaded this up and without creating a bunch of characters and creating NPC's I cannot see yet what this module can do.

Is there a way to create your own NPC's in Fastasy Grounds ? Thinking of maybe remaking a DCC module for example, how to I get the creatures in ?
This is just like any other FG ruleset, but without any premade material (due to copyright). You can add your own record (NPCs, etc.) via the buttons down the right side of the desktop.

I’d recommend reading through the first few pages of the User Guide in the Wiki and also watching some of the getting started videos (also isn’t the Wiki) to get the basics regarding using Fantasy Grounds.

damned
June 12th, 2018, 23:56
This is also worth a read:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/entry.php?296-Looking-ahead-to-a-major-DCC-RPG-ruleset-update!
but I cant find any of leozeligs videos.

leozelig
June 13th, 2018, 03:20
We need a good user guide for this. I have been putting it off for quite some time. My videos were from the older version and no longer relevant, so I removed them.

Are videos preferable to a text document? I don’t see myself doing both.

damned
June 13th, 2018, 03:41
We need a good user guide for this. I have been putting it off for quite some time. My videos were from the older version and no longer relevant, so I removed them.

Are videos preferable to a text document? I don’t see myself doing both.

My opinion?
The one that you are most willing to do is the best one!

Written doco is ultimately better as it is easier to maintain as changes happen - although the ruleset is pretty much done these days other than maintenance I suspect?
If you do videos I believe short videos on a specific topic at 1-5mins each are best otherwise its hard to find the piece of info you seek.

5lippy
June 13th, 2018, 11:04
As a newb, any kind of reference is good.

I'm still getting used to FG and the way it works with rulesets etc.

I would a video series showing how to create a DCC style adventure - love DCC.

leozelig
August 4th, 2018, 17:21
Updated to v3.0.6:

Compatibility with CoreRPG 3.3.6
NPC skills added to SP field (special properties) will parse for dice rolls

Download link on first page of thread. Report bugs here.

Myrdin Potter
August 7th, 2018, 08:54
Latest downloaded and as always, thank you!

CorzatTheGray
August 11th, 2018, 20:24
Just found and grabbed this today...

Both looking forward to and dreading entering in all the info...

In my limited experience with DCC this is the one thing I've found that I count as a strike against GG... the lack of support for the DCC ruleset here on FG.

@leozelig: KEEP UP THE AWESOME WORK ON THIS!! :thumbs up:

leozelig
August 12th, 2018, 02:11
Thanks CtG! I would love to share my data modules with the community - the ruleset is really handicapped without them. I have moved on from DCC even though I still update the ruleset. I don’t see how the Crawler’s Companion can exist for free, but we still don’t have an official ruleset for FG. They lost me there... :)

Myrdin Potter
August 17th, 2018, 15:45
I have inquired and poked around and never get a response from them on doing anything about supporting the rule set. I will try again, but they just do not seem to be interested. I have most of the rulebook entered at this point.

leozelig
August 19th, 2018, 20:46
I have inquired and poked around and never get a response from them on doing anything about supporting the rule set. I will try again, but they just do not seem to be interested. I have most of the rulebook entered at this point.

Well, at least you're covered! :)

I see they are publishing 5e updates of classic D&D modules - B1, B2, and now X1, so maybe that's keeping them occupied...

leozelig
September 10th, 2018, 04:11
Update 3.0.7

Added spell save options to specify DC value (spell check result or fixed) and half damage on miss. Note that the saving throw does NOT roll simultaneously with the spell check as it would with spell attacks in the 5E ruleset.
Added CL (caster level) as a modifier for power/spell damage and heal actions.
Fixed overlapping frames in combat tracker entries.

Download linked in post #1.

leozelig
October 3rd, 2018, 18:51
I finally assembled an updated user guide, which is linked in post #1.

spoofer
October 4th, 2018, 14:15
Hi all,

I looking to connect with other DCC fans. Is anyone else thinking about running this, or wanting to play DCC on FG?

P.S. Thank you so much leozelig for making the rule set! It is awesome!

leozelig
October 5th, 2018, 02:53
I ran a series of one-shot DCC games a couple years ago with mixed results, sometimes getting as many as 7-8 players but more often none. I would recommend advertising your game in multiple forums. I had some success finding players in the Google+ DCCRPG community, but online games for DCC are few and far between. Maybe the OSR market is saturated, who knows?

Myrdin Potter
October 5th, 2018, 02:56
https://discord.gg/neAY5Y

You can try this discord link to find players.

spoofer
October 6th, 2018, 00:14
Thanks for the link. I will look into it. But first I need to enter the rulebook.

Myrdin Potter
October 9th, 2018, 08:13
I would certainly play DCC on Fantasy Grounds. I played a few times in leozelig’s games.

Blackonion
November 21st, 2018, 00:33
How works the +1/2d and -1/2d in order to simulate zocchi die?
How do I use a d16, por example, for a pc or npc?

leozelig
November 27th, 2018, 11:47
How works the +1/2d and -1/2d in order to simulate zocchi die?
How do I use a d16, por example, for a pc or npc?

Hi Blackonion,

I missed your post while traveling last week. The Zocchi dice can be found in the Custom Dice menus for the standard dice accessible by right-clicking on a die. (I should add this to the user guide.) These are split according to the workaround suggestions posted by Goodman Games:

d8 - d7
d10 - d5, d30
d12 - d24
d20 - d14, d16

If you click the -2d dice swap button and roll a d20, the roll is adjusted down 2 dice on the dice chain, which is d14. These are useful for initiative with a two-handed weapon, attacks at higher levels with multiple action dice, or adjustments dictated by the judge.

Hope this helps. I will be sure to add this to the user guide...

Edit: Updated the user guide to include the custom dice menus for Zocchi dice.

inawkwardscience
November 29th, 2018, 03:01
This is wonderful! I love it, thank you!

While digging through the thread, I've seen mention of template mods. I managed to find one for classes, I think. Are there more?

Blackonion
December 1st, 2018, 01:02

Thanks a lot!

leozelig
December 2nd, 2018, 13:35
This is wonderful! I love it, thank you!

While digging through the thread, I've seen mention of template mods. I managed to find one for classes, I think. Are there more?

I don't know if I have any updated right now. I was thinking of removing the formatted text sections from my modules, which contain the text from the rulebook, but leaving the base xml code intact. You would still have to copy and paste the text from the rule book to the formatted text sections, but the xml framework is all there. I don't think that would upset any intellectual property laws. It's a huge file, so I haven't had the motivation to dig into it just yet.

leozelig
December 2nd, 2018, 16:10
Here is a template for the classes module. You need to enter the text from the rule book of course, but the xml is set up for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ybxi58wam2k8hwr/DCCRPG-classes%20template.mod?dl=0

CowsRespectMe
December 10th, 2018, 17:38
I thought this might be worth mentioning here:
https://goodman-games.com/blog/2018/12/09/road-crew-2019-and-twitch/

It looks like Goodman Games may be trying to give more support to virtual games. There's an email address linked in the post where they are actively looking for input. I took the opportunity to express interest in them giving some kind of support for Fantasy Grounds.

Maybe this is our chance to get some kind of "go ahead" from Goodman Games?

Myrdin Potter
December 10th, 2018, 18:14
Emailed them yet again.

Trenloe
December 10th, 2018, 18:40
Emailed as well.

LordEntrails
December 10th, 2018, 19:33
Nice catch, and thanks for posting here. I emailed them as well.

leozelig
December 11th, 2018, 02:06
Oh wow, that’s amazing! Thanks for sharing, CowsRespectMe...

JohnD
December 11th, 2018, 04:26
Email sent. Finally they're taking an interest.

CowsRespectMe
December 14th, 2018, 03:06
So I'm pretty new to Fantasy Grounds, but I'm pretty excited to try DCC out on it. I'm having a few issues with this, that a quick google search of this thread is not revealing.

To get this up and running, I'm trying to do the following work flow:
1) Upload the templates from the first post.
2) Drag to copy each item to make a version that is not read-only.
3) Add in necessary game information.

I'm struggling to put much meaningful information in the classes. For example, I am unable to drag any of the weapons or armor into the proficiency lists. Although, even if I make a class from scratch this seems to be the case.
For the rest of these features, should I just be adding descriptive text for the player? Or are there keywords or numbers I need to be adding to synchronize with this?

What have you guys done for fumble and crit tables? Are there considerations to integrate them with Fantasy Grounds functionality, or are they pretty much just for reference? Is there a way to include 0 on them?

Thanks for all the work on this; I'm stoked to get playing!

leozelig
December 15th, 2018, 00:28
The proficiency fields in the class record are text only, so that's why dragging items doesn't work. I cut/paste the "Weapon Training" section from the class description in the rules. The last sentence of that section typically covers armor proficiency.

I have not used rollable tables in Fantasy Grounds for crits and fumbles, but you can certainly do that. I have a module with all of the tables that I refer to when necessary. For a rollable table, you can include a row for 0, and I believe any roll of 0 or lower will use that result.

Myrdin Potter
December 15th, 2018, 17:33
Does the ruleset use “source”. I put wizard or cleric in school and put the rule book used and the page number in source (so I can mix and match 3rd party and keep track of where it came from).

leozelig
December 15th, 2018, 18:44
Does the ruleset use “source”. I put wizard or cleric in school and put the rule book used and the page number in source (so I can mix and match 3rd party and keep track of where it came from).

You can use it however you want really. The intention is that "source" refers to the source of magic (wizard, cleric, specific patrons, etc.) - basically the same as 5E. School is not much of a thing in DCC, but if you have the level 2 wizard spell arcane affinity, there is potential to introduce schools of magic (conjuration, divination, etc.), so that would be the school of course. In most cases, that field is blank.

Myrdin Potter
December 15th, 2018, 18:51
I’ll just cut and paste the reference to the spell text area at the bottom and move what I use school for to source.

I have the class information and all the 1st level spells entered. Slowly building up the rule book whenever I have a burst of motivation. I want to start running a few of the adventures I have in the next year.

CowsRespectMe
December 17th, 2018, 02:30
I’ll just cut and paste the reference to the spell text area at the bottom and move what I use school for to source.

I have the class information and all the 1st level spells entered. Slowly building up the rule book whenever I have a burst of motivation. I want to start running a few of the adventures I have in the next year.

One thing to keep in mind is that players can't access all the spells immediately on leveling like D&D. You can add the spells as you go and the players/NPCs need them. It can certainly make it easier to get playing.

leozelig
December 17th, 2018, 11:25
I guess I didn’t think of the module templates as blank entries to be edited in-game, more for direct xml editing, but either way works. You can remove all the static=“true” code from the xml code to allow direct editing of the module info. A pdf copy of the rules is a must-have, along with ample use of CTRL-C, CTRL-V, and CTRL-J.

I might run a few “Road Crew” one-shot games if that’s an option in 2019. People of the Pit has been on my list for a long time.

CowsRespectMe
December 17th, 2018, 17:22
How do you access the xml code from the templates? Opening the .mod files with notepad++ just shows a garbled mess of characters for me.

Myrdin Potter
December 17th, 2018, 18:49
The .mod is just a renamed .zip. Either open up the .mod directly or rename to .zip and you get access to the raw files.

Not sure why you want access. You can just open tnem up in program and cut and paste. I guess if you have the ruleset text already extracted it would work.

Otherwise, I am pretty sure the entries are just the standard 5e fields repurposed.

damned
December 17th, 2018, 21:32
I just got a response:
"Noted, and a worthy goal. I will absolutely see what we can do.

cheers,
Brendan "

leozelig
December 18th, 2018, 01:36
How do you access the xml code from the templates? Opening the .mod files with notepad++ just shows a garbled mess of characters for me.

You can use any app that can open a .zip file to open the .mod file - no need to change the file extension. If you plan to edit in-game, the module templates probably have less to offer. I had the xml coders in mind with these.

leozelig
December 18th, 2018, 01:39
I just got a response:
"Noted, and a worthy goal. I will absolutely see what we can do.

cheers,
Brendan "

Wonderful, now I just hope my ruleset doesn't start throwing script errors during a Twitch stream... I haven't playtested it in a real game for awhile.

leozelig
December 19th, 2018, 22:42
Updated to 3.0.8

Compatibility updates for CoreRPG 3.3.7.
Weight will only display on item records if the 'Variant' encumbrance rule is enabled in Options.
Fixed a script error when spell records are dropped onto the Actions tab.

Let me know if you have any issues.

kirklandone
December 24th, 2018, 04:09
Leozelig,

In a spells module, using your spell template, can the <general></general> or <manifestation></manifestation> field etc (the so called "powerstats") be set to FORMATTEDTEXT instead of STRING?

I am getting an error on spells where I have done that.

Also, it looks like you cannot use <b></b> in STRING fields.

Just finished entering all the spells...and found that I may need to go fix all the BOLD and ITALIC text I entered and anywhere I changed to FORMATTEDTEXT :-(

Thanks
Kirklandone

leozelig
December 24th, 2018, 19:26
Leozelig,

In a spells module, using your spell template, can the <general></general> or <manifestation></manifestation> field etc (the so called "powerstats") be set to FORMATTEDTEXT instead of STRING?

I am getting an error on spells where I have done that.

Also, it looks like you cannot use <b></b> in STRING fields.

Just finished entering all the spells...and found that I may need to go fix all the BOLD and ITALIC text I entered and anywhere I changed to FORMATTEDTEXT :-(

Thanks
Kirklandone

The field type for a record sheet is set by the ruleset code, so the module format has to be consistent with that. It's true that string fields do not allow for bold or italics.

leozelig
December 26th, 2018, 01:15
I am going to leave the spell record string fields as they are for now. Changing them will generate type mismatch errors for everyone with existing campaigns and modules.

kirklandone
December 27th, 2018, 17:16
Leozelig,

Thanks for looking into the spell records. I have fixed all my BOLD and ITALIC and shifted back to STRING where appropriate and everything looks great.

Is it possible to link the Spell Lists into the Character Class <text type="formattedtext"> area?

I have tried the following XML:

<listlink><link type="windowreference" class="reference_classspelllist" recordname="lists.wizardspells">Wizard Spells</link></listlink>

That creates a link, but it opens a blank window. It does not find the appropriate list in my spells module. Do I have to somehow add reference to that module in my library (DCCRPGSpells)?

NOTE: If I look in the Library under my DCC RPG Spells module, it does have a link to Spells (Wizards Spells, Cleric Spells, Patron Spells) and if you click on Wizard Spells it does come up with the appropriate list I am trying to put into my class entry.

Thanks
Kirklandone

Trenloe
December 28th, 2018, 00:13
LDo I have to somehow add reference to that module in my library (DCCRPGSpells)?
Yes, otherwise FG assumes it's the campaign database you're referring to. Info on database paths here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Developer_Guide_-_Rulesets_-_Database#Database_Paths

You can add @<module name> to be specific about the exact module where the database path points to, or you can use a wild card @* to look at opened modules - the gotcha with wildcards is that you can't guarantee the order in which FG will search to find the first match.

kirklandone
December 28th, 2018, 16:31
Yes, otherwise FG assumes it's the campaign database you're referring to. Info on database paths here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Developer_Guide_-_Rulesets_-_Database#Database_Paths

You can add @<module name> to be specific about the exact module where the database path points to, or you can use a wild card @* to look at opened modules - the gotcha with wildcards is that you can't guarantee the order in which FG will search to find the first match.

Leozelig,

Thanks, got the link to work properly. Not sure why I did not see that in the example 3.5E Basic Rules XML I was copying.

So, my next question is about dropping spells onto character sheets in the Action tab.

I get the following error.

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_power.lua"]:1720: attempt to index global "DataSpell" (a nil value).

An I missing something or is something goofed up in my "scratch" campaign (where I am testing all my new mods etc)?

Thanks,
Kirklandone

kirklandone
December 28th, 2018, 16:56
I figured out my problem. I had an older version of the ruleset loaded. The new one (3.0.8) has that section of the manager_power.lua commented out.

kirklandone
December 28th, 2018, 21:03
Moving onto the next issue...

Using the items template (not sure if it has changed lately), I find if I open any Armor (Padded, shield etc) I get the following error:

Script Error: [string "ref_armor_header"]:1: attempt to index global 'weight_label' (a nil value)

A quick grep of "ref_armor_header" and I find this line in the <DCCRPG.pak>/ref/ref_equipment.xml.

Is this a case of me having an old template or some other issue?

I also noticed that the item template seems to duplicate the data (Weapons: name, cost, damage and range; Armor: name, cost, ac, checkpenalty, speedpenalty and fumbledie) between the LIST section and the REFERENCE section. Is this just a case where the full item list would have the cost, etc as well as the individual item window?

Thanks
Kirklandone

leozelig
December 29th, 2018, 01:28
I will check the item weight error. It’s supposed to check whether encumbrance is enabled in options and hide the weight field if it’s not.

leozelig
December 29th, 2018, 11:29
I fixed the script error for armor - download the ruleset again, and it should work now. Thanks for catching that!

kirklandone
December 29th, 2018, 17:49
Leozelig,

I am trying to understand how the item template gets parsed to be put into the lists and tables (for Weapons and Armor).

For example, here are my entries for Blowgun and Battleax and the FG generated entry for Flintlock (I entered this from within FG).
<blowgun>
<locked type="number">1</locked>
<name type="string">Blowgun</name>
<cost type="string">6</cost>
<damage type="string">1d3 piercing (1d5 piercing)</damage>
<type type="string">Weapon</type>
<subtype type="string">Blowgun</subtype>
<description type="formattedtext">A hollow tube resembling a flute or smoking device.</description>
<nonid_name type="string">Blowgun</nonid_name>
<nonidentified type="string"></nonidentified>
<ranges type="string">20/40/60</ranges>
<properties type="string">Ammunition (range 20/40/60), loading, stealth</properties>
<weight type="number">2.0</weight>
</blowgun>
<battleaxe>
<name type="string">Battleaxe</name>
<cost type="string">7</cost>
<damage type="string">1d10 slashing</damage>
<subtype type="string">Battleaxe</subtype>
<description type="formattedtext"></description>
<nonid_name type="string">Battleaxe</nonid_name>
<nonidentified type="string">Sturdy wooden hafted axe</nonidentified>
<properties type="string">Heavy, two-handed</properties>
<weight type="number">7.0</weight>
</battleaxe>
<id-00001>
<ac type="number">0</ac>
<bonus type="number">0</bonus>
<checkpenalty type="number">0</checkpenalty>
<cost type="string">150</cost>
<damage type="string">1d6 piercing</damage>
<description type="formattedtext">
<p></p>
</description>
<name type="string">Flintlock</name>
<nonid_name type="string">firearm</nonid_name>
<nonidentified type="string">Rusty ancient</nonidentified>
<ranges type="string">35</ranges>
<speedpenalty type="number">0</speedpenalty>
<subtype type="string">Firearm</subtype>
<weight type="number">3</weight>
</id-00001>

See Attached image:

The Flintlock entry has entries in the window for Non-ID Name, Notes (the <nonidentified> entry I believe), Type, Range and subtype.
My Battleax and Blowgun do not have entries for Non_ID Name, Notes, Type, Range and Subtype, though I appear to have those fields in the mod. The description for blowgun is included. Also, my entries have (Weapon(Battleax) and Weapon(Blowgun)) under their name but the Flintlock does not.

I was able to get the Blowgun range to be in the weapons table by adding a <ranges type="string"></ranges> entry. I believe that also put it into my item specific window as well.

The Properties and Weight are not displayed, but I can always j
Thanks again for you support in answering all my questions.

Kirklandone

kirklandone
December 29th, 2018, 21:34
AHA!

I am starting to understand. Sorry if I am slow.

If I drag one of the weapons/armor/items that I have in my DCCRPG-items.mod to a character sheet, it will have all those other fields displayed because it is now an editable unique instance of the item from the mod. The mod items just show the simple information and are not allowed to be edited.

Is that about right?
Kirklandone

damned
December 30th, 2018, 00:06
You should definitely start from within FG.
Create one of every data type you are going to create a library for - make sure there is valud data in every field even if that object doesnt use every data field - and then export them (/export). You will then have a template for reuse.

leozelig
December 30th, 2018, 14:12
AHA!

I am starting to understand. Sorry if I am slow.

If I drag one of the weapons/armor/items that I have in my DCCRPG-items.mod to a character sheet, it will have all those other fields displayed because it is now an editable unique instance of the item from the mod. The mod items just show the simple information and are not allowed to be edited.

Is that about right?
Kirklandone

The module data are set up as read-only in the templates. You can remove the static="true" clause from the xml code if you want them to be editable, otherwise you do have to create a second instance inside your campaign to make changes. I will check the 5E ref files and see if the ID fields are included in those.

Also, try removing the <ac>, <checkpenalty>, and <speedpenalty> fields from your flintlock item. I don't know if that has any influence on the display conditions, but at the very least, you can remove any fields that are not relevant (armor stats for a weapon, in this case). Probably in the case of creating a database of items, spells, and NPCs, it makes sense to build them within FG and export as a module file. Even a reference manual can be created with celestian's 'Author' extension, unless you just want to learn some xml ;)

Edit: The reference sheets opened from the data module are coded for a different display than item records in your campaign (as you discovered).

kirklandone
December 31st, 2018, 19:06
Leozelig,

Changing the <equipmentdata static="true"> to "false" did not change the behavior of the items in the items lists. I am okay if the items in the list are more simply displayed. Once they get dropped on the character sheet, they look normal and have all the information and are editable.

I may end up entering the Item info from within game...some day.

I also noticed that dropping shields onto character sheets causing as error on line 190 of the ../campaign/scripts/manager_char.lua file. The script is trying to deal with the Fumble Die for a shield. This happens whether I use my XML shield or one I just created from within FG. So, I just gave my XML item a dummy 1d1 fumble die. That gets rid of the message.

How do you create "Powers" or "Features" for Clerics (or other classes as necessary) that end up on the Action Tab (Lay on Hands, Turn Unholy)?
Can you create them within the Classes XML or do you just have to create custom powers on the character sheet from within FG?
I have entries on the Abilities Tab under Features....but they do not get placed as actions

Thanks
Kirklandone

leozelig
December 31st, 2018, 20:01
I will check on that script error - thanks for helping me knock these out.

The abilities on the class record sheet only drop to the Features list on the Abilities tab. Add a new power on the Actions tab, set the group type to 'Abilities'. I set the group daily uses to 1 and name the power group 'Cleric Abilities'. Then add an action (Cast) and set the base modifier to 'SpChk+' and the ability to 'Luck'. You will need to set up your base spell check to use your personality modifier. I really need to make some tutorial videos...

leozelig
December 31st, 2018, 20:21
I also noticed that dropping shields onto character sheets causing as error on line 190 of the ../campaign/scripts/manager_char.lua file. The script is trying to deal with the Fumble Die for a shield. This happens whether I use my XML shield or one I just created from within FG. So, I just gave my XML item a dummy 1d1 fumble die. That gets rid of the message.

Try using the format d8 instead of 1d8 for the fumble die. My shield entry works - see screenshot. I also attached a screenshot of how Turn Unholy would look on the Actions tab.

spoofer
January 1st, 2019, 01:33
Happy New Year!

I have been silently watching from the background for some time now. leozelig, thanks so much for this awesomeness! I had some time during the holidays, so I created a complete player's guide. I have yet to play the game (but I sure am looking forward to it!), so please bear with my lack of understanding.

1. The rule book (at least, my version of it, which is the very first printing) lists the shield's fumble die as "-" i.e., none. Why did you put in a d8?

2. Dropping armor results in the following error:

Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/manager_char.lua"]:202: attempt to compare string with number.

Is "number" a "type" then? Is something in here supposed to be set to type = "number"? If so, I assume that I need to remove characters other than intergers, such as the ' ft symbol.

<name type="string">Half-plate</name>
<cost type="string">550</cost>
<ac type="string">+7</ac>
<checkpenalty type="string">-7</checkpenalty>
<speedpenalty type="string">-10'</speedpenalty>
<fumbledie type="string">d16</fumbledie>

Ok, time to create the Judge's Guide.

leozelig
January 1st, 2019, 14:56
I am pretty sure AC, speed penalty, and check penalty are number fields. At the very least, remove the feet symbol from the speed penalty.

I got the fumble die for shield from the rulebook. If there isn’t one (maybe updated for 4th printing?), leave the field blank.

leozelig
January 1st, 2019, 15:47
The screenshots below show the shield entry from the core rules and the corresponding xml code for the item record.

I did notice that the spell check modifier was not calculating properly, so I fixed that. Download the ruleset again for the fix.

kirklandone
January 2nd, 2019, 22:17
Leozelig, Spoofer,

Just looking through the Errata I have that released Jan 17 2014 for the Third printing (not sure which one I have).

Table 3-3, Armor: Fumble die for shield updated to be d8, as referenced in text (page 72).

Good catch, I will update my shield appropriately.

kirklandone
January 3rd, 2019, 16:27
Leozelig, DCC Ruleset fans,

Is there a way to use the funky dice (d3, d5, d7, etc) in rollable tables or on the die rollers on the character sheet (Deed die, fumble die, crit die)? As far as I know, you have to be able to drag a die onto those controls. I know, we can get access to the funky dice in the Zodiac menus, but those cannot be dragged onto the character sheet controls or onto tables (as far as I can tell).

Thanks
Kirklandone

P.S. Has anyone made animated funky dice that could be dropped onto those kinds of controls? It would even be cool just to duplicate one or more of the animated dice and just change what they roll under the covers even if it did not match the animation. Just make them a different color so as to make them unique from the "standard" dice.

Trenloe
January 3rd, 2019, 17:57
Is there a way to use the funky dice (d3, d5, d7, etc) in rollable tables or on the die rollers on the character sheet (Deed die, fumble die, crit die)? As far as I know, you have to be able to drag a die onto those controls. I know, we can get access to the funky dice in the Zodiac menus, but those cannot be dragged onto the character sheet controls or onto tables (as far as I can tell).
If you don't specify a die for a table, FG will automatically apply whatever die to roll based of the number range of the table rows. So, if you have 4 rows that cover 1-7 then a d7 will be used. You won't see a roll, as there isn't a 3D die for a d7, FG will use a random number generator, which it does for the custom funky dice.

P.S. Has anyone made animated funky dice that could be dropped onto those kinds of controls? It would even be cool just to duplicate one or more of the animated dice and just change what they roll under the covers even if it did not match the animation. Just make them a different color so as to make them unique from the "standard" dice.
The 3D animated dice rolling is embedded into the FG application. It can't be changed via extension.

kirklandone
January 3rd, 2019, 21:40
Trenloe,

I figured the animated dice were baked into the application. Here's to hoping Goodman Games will collaborate with Fantasy Grounds to support DCC internally. I did get a response from the Road Crew saying they may be looking into supporting FG.

The fumble and crit tables were the ones I was mostly interested in using the funky dice. They typically have 20-28 entries in the table, but have you rolling dice that cannot be dropped onto the table control (D14, D16, etc). So, I was just looking to find a way allow the other dice types in that table. But we can just as easily roll the dice and read the table by hand whenever unsupported dice are used. Hmmm...can you drag the results of a roll from the chat box to the table to get the result..... I will have to try that.

Thanks
Kirklandone

Trenloe
January 3rd, 2019, 21:49
The fumble and crit tables were the ones I was mostly interested in using the funky dice. They typically have 20-28 entries in the table, but have you rolling dice that cannot be dropped onto the table control (D14, D16, etc). So, I was just looking to find a way allow the other dice types in that table. But we can just as easily roll the dice and read the table by hand whenever unsupported dice are used.
The DCC funky dice are available through the normal dice on the desktop - right-click on select "Custom Dice" and then the relevant dice - this can then be dropped on the dice field in the table.

The following desktop dice give access to the listed DCC dice:

d20 - d14 & d16
d12 - d24
d10 - d30 & d5
d8 - d7
d6 - d2 & d3

leozelig
January 4th, 2019, 23:08
Thank you, Trenloe. You can definitely drag non-standard dice onto dice fields (including tables) via the custom dice menus.

spoofer
January 9th, 2019, 13:46
leozelig,

Thanks for that image showing the coding for armor. That really helped my figure out what I was doing wrong. All of your templates are now populated and working well. Now to start on the rest of the content. :D

leozelig
January 9th, 2019, 22:19
Well done, spoofer - that's no small task. Glad you figured it out.

kirklandone
January 12th, 2019, 18:04
Trenloe,

Thanks for the info. I never caught the "Right Click" on the funky dice. I keep left clicking and trying to drag. It works great.

Now, Leozelig, is there any way to link your character sheet Crit/Fumble roll controls to tables that I have created? Or where would one look to add that kind of automation?
So, for example, when I click on the FUMBLE die control on the character sheet it would plug that die roll result into the table. Similar to <linklist><link class="reference_tables" recordname="tables.fumbles@DCC RPG Tables">Fumbles</link></linklist>.

Thanks,
Kirklandone

leozelig
January 13th, 2019, 12:45
I am not aware of any way to automate a table roll, but I am an amateur when it comes to coding. You can select auto-roll crits and fumbles in the options menu, and the ruleset will roll the appropriate die for you. You still need to look up the result, but some people enjoy that. DCC got a little carried away with tables in my opinion, but that’s another story...

kirklandone
January 16th, 2019, 04:17
Leozelig,

I have noticed that attacks are not seeming to take into account the PC AC value. It just compares to ac 10. See the image.

I have tried to remove the character from the combat tracker and the monsters from the combat tracker and repopulate to no avail.

Any idea what I have wrong?

Thanks
Kirklandone25986

leozelig
January 16th, 2019, 11:21
Leozelig,

I have noticed that attacks are not seeming to take into account the PC AC value. It just compares to ac 10. See the image.

I have tried to remove the character from the combat tracker and the monsters from the combat tracker and repopulate to no avail.

Any idea what I have wrong?

I will look into it - thank you for testing...

leozelig
January 16th, 2019, 20:37
AC calculation should be working now. Re-download the ruleset and try again.

kirklandone
January 23rd, 2019, 15:15
Leozelig,

Thanks, works great.

Skyrender
February 1st, 2019, 16:52
Okay, something weird popped while I was playing a funnel this week, and I want some advice, since it's a weird edge case.

We used an online source to auto-create a page of four 0th-level characters per player. That in itself is not unusual, as we start a new game every year or so. One of my characters had good stats, including 16 in agility and 18 in luck. He also got the fortuneteller occupation (dagger and a tarot deck), and a set of thieves' tools as his extra item. It seemed he was destined to be a thief, and I played him as such.

For future reference, let's call this guy Lucky.

The problem started when some of us died, and we redistributed the equipment on the corpses. Lucky got the now-dead hunter's shortbow. To be honest, I wasn't sure whether my pack hunter augur bonus (+3 attack and damage to my 0th-level weapon) should apply to the bow, or the dagger I had at the start of play. Thing is, 0th level characters count the weapon they most recently attacked with as their starting weapon, and once I shot the bow, it then counted as my 0th level weapon. The GM ruled that the augur bonus to attack and damage should stay with the dagger since the rulebook says the bonus doesn't increase or decrease based on your luck. That said, why should I get the +3 bonus to a weapon that was no longer my 0th-level weapon? Was this the right call, or am I just overthinking this?

To be honest, this actually got worse at the end of the session. We were playing the Hole in the Sky module as the setting for our funnel. Slight spoilers, but once the quest is over you get to spin the Wheel of Fortune to change your destiny. In Lucky's case, this included getting to reroll a stat and keep that roll if it's better (exact same total as I already had, so no change). He then got to roll two more birth augurs and either keeping the old one or replacing it with one of the new ones (pack hunter x3? I'm getting shoehorned into this situation). And on top of that, he also got +2 luck (what's the modifier for 20 luck, anyway? +3? +4? +5?). This change is retroactive, meaning Lucky's brand-new 20 luck is how he's always been. Does this change the level of the augur bonus?

leozelig
February 1st, 2019, 22:21
Ah, the madness of DCC RPG... My interpretation is that your lucky roll applies to whatever your 0-level weapon ends up being by the end of the funnel (i.e., the last weapon you fought with), which sounds like the bow.

So, you rolled the same birth augur for both of your re-rolls, and your luck score is 20!? Crazy... That will get the attention of the gods, better watch out. I ran Hole in the Sky once, and my group grew or shrank a few inches and changed hair or eye color. You fared much better ;)

I believe Mutant Crawl Classics published modifiers for stats above 18, and most DCC players I know will honor those. I actually coded that into the ruleset, so try entering 20 for your ability score and see what happens. My guess is +4, off the top of my head. And I would say yes, your lucky roll bonus should definitely increase because of that.

Short answer... You should get +4 bonus to attack and damage rolls with the shortbow.

Skyrender
February 1st, 2019, 23:07
Okay, thanks very much for helping me come to terms with this. Sadly, this is not the kind of charitable GM that gives level 1 to us for free at the end of a funnel adventure. I have 7 XP with Lucky right now, and so I hope to grab a few more arrows before heading into the next quest. I could totally see myself running out of arrows right before the point where we finally earn enough XP to get to level 1, and I have to resort to using some weird weapon that makes no sense for a sneaky little thief, like a battleaxe or a flail or something.

On the other hand, having such a high agility means ranged weapons might be the way to go. And while the dagger is a better deal for backstabbing enemies, that can be really situational. Plus, I don't think the thief gets bows (or any ranged weapon) normally, so at least having a decent ranged weapon (like a bow) could help a lot.

kirklandone
February 4th, 2019, 17:04
A couple questions about the combat tracker.

1) Is there a way to add the whole party to the combat tracker at one time? I currently just drag each character on there one at a time. But since encounters can add on the NPCs at once, I hoped maybe there was a way to add the whole party.

2) Is there a way to "End Combat" in the tracker? I find it odd that the MENU does not have any way to just end a combat so that you can start fresh (with Round=1) for the next encounter. I have to manually type 1 back in the combat tracker each time I want to start a new encounter.

3) How do you deal with summoned monsters in the combat tracker? I started "The Emerald Enchanter" adventure with my group, there is an encounter (Tile Golem) where a creature has a chance to summon more creatures each round. I had initially placed 4 summoned creatures in the encounter. As the fight went on I got to the point where the Tile Golem got to summon more than the four I had accounted for in the encounter. I was not quite sure how to add more of the summoned creatures. I went to the encounter and added that encounter to the combat tracker a second time (then deleted the Tile Golem). The problem I had was that the new creatures did not quite behave correctly in the combat tracker. I could have them target the PCs, but the combat tracker would not automatically check for a hit or apply damage properly. I think this was due to the fact that I did not have tokens for the new summons? Does anyone understand this behavior better? Should I have added the new summons directly from the NPC lists and added a token?

In the future I think I will just add more summons but leave them invisible to the players if they never get summoned. And then remember to remove them from the combat tracker at the end of the encounter.

Thanks
Kirklandone

damned
February 4th, 2019, 21:08
These are all CoreRPG things not DCC specific.
There is no way to add all the PCs at one time. Once added there is also no reason to remove the PCs (except Death/Departure) so you shouldnt have to do it too often once the PCs start leveling up...
Menu -> Turn Order -> Reset
Re-open the Encounter - Change the number of Enchanters to 0 and then click the add button again. If they are in the CT then the targeting should work. Make sure that you always add to the CT and from the CT to the map. Never drag from an NPC list or Encounter directly to the map.

kirklandone
February 4th, 2019, 22:10
"...once the PCs start leveling up..."
Does that imply that the CT takes a snapshot of the PC at the time you add? And that if they level up, I should delete/add the PC back to the combat tracker?

"Menu -> Turn Order -> Reset"
Thanks, I will try that.

I will experiment with re-opening the encounter and adding more summoned monsters to see if I can duplicate what I saw "In the heat of the moment", so I can understand if I did something wrong or if there is something no working correctly.

Thanks, damned.
Kirklandone
P.S. My group is super impressed with FG and the effort I have put into adding DCC content/modules/adventures looks well worth it. Thanks to Leozelig and all the FG supporters.

leozelig
February 4th, 2019, 22:17
Everything damned said. I don't think the DCC ruleset has 'Turn Order-Reset' as a menu option. I usually just change the round to 0, and then hit the circular arrow button to start a new combat.

You can also duplicate NPCs in the combat tracker by grabbing the shortcut icon (brown circle at the far right of the entry) and dropping it anywhere in the CT frame. Of course, you need at least one other summoned creature in the tracker to do it that way. Maybe you could drag the NPC record to a hotkey as a backup option.

I don't know about the targeting issue. I feel like it shouldn't matter if you have a token on the map for an NPC to target a PC, but maybe I'm wrong. Try it and see what happens.

damned
February 4th, 2019, 23:38
The comment about leveling up was more about DCC and the high mortality rate of the funnel.
NPCs in the CT are snapshots but PCs are living/breathing/dynamic things - their stats stay syncd.

DCC is all leozelig - he has done a great job on the ruleset.

leozelig
February 5th, 2019, 01:14
My group is super impressed with FG and the effort I have put into adding DCC content/modules/adventures looks well worth it.

You earned that, good job! Thank you for putting the ruleset to work :)

kirklandone
February 9th, 2019, 22:12
Here is a question that came up last week for me.
The party found an unidentified magic dagger. The rogue / thief character picked it up and put it in his inventory. He had some normal daggers. The Inventory sheet on his character did NOT show 3 normal daggers and 1 unidentified dagger, it showed 4 daggers.

If he were to discover the nature of that magic dagger, how do we pick it out of his stack of 4 to click the identify item?
Kirklandone

leozelig
February 10th, 2019, 12:59
Hmm, I don't know. Click the item record to identified and re-drop to inventory, then delete the extra dagger.

kirklandone
February 21st, 2019, 15:35
Um, what happened to the forum? The style has changed dramatically...

Weird. I figured it out...kinda. I was on some very simple version, like for phones...then I clicked "Full Site" and it returned to what I was expecting.

LordEntrails
February 22nd, 2019, 05:07
Um, what happened to the forum? The style has changed dramatically...

Weird. I figured it out...kinda. I was on some very simple version, like for phones...then I clicked "Full Site" and it returned to what I was expecting.
That was the mobile version. Sometimes happens if you view on a mobile device or follow a link from search results.

kirklandone
February 28th, 2019, 18:54
Leozelig,

I have another oddity that I have found. One of my players had a spell caster and his spell check bonus kept growing over the course of the night. See attached image.
So, his spell check is only STAT +3 but in the chat window you can see that it is adding +11 to his die roll. His STAT is NOT adding +8 bonus to his spell check. It almost looks like some Spell Duel momentum or something.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Kirklandone

leozelig
March 1st, 2019, 11:45
That's weird. What does the cast action look like for Flaming Hands? I made some changes to saving throws in one of the more recent updates to allow for a fixed save DC and half damage on a miss, so the spell check scripts were modified for that. I fixed an error with the base spell check calculation a few weeks ago - are you running the latest ruleset version? I am not seeing any errors on my end.

kirklandone
March 1st, 2019, 15:18
Leozelig,

I will look at the cast action for Flaming Hands and post a picture when I can. And I will check which version of the ruleset I am using. It was definitely odd behavior. It slowly crept up, it was only after the 2nd or 3rd time we noticed the oddity that I captured that image (where the bonus was +11).

kirklandone
March 7th, 2019, 03:25
Leozelig,

Sure enough, but Bonus on Flaming Hands is up to +7. With his normal base of +3... that would give me 11. I wonder if we accidentally modified the bonus at some point. But I think the mystery is solved.

leozelig
March 7th, 2019, 22:22
Ok, that's good. Post a screenshot of the cast action details if you don't get it sorted out.

ddavison
March 14th, 2019, 16:28
Goodman Games has granted us permission to make an official set of DCC ruleset and content. Leozelig, would you be interested in doing this under a commission?

If so, then we would leave the community ruleset as-is for people to continue using but we would branch development to an official ruleset that would also allow for official content to be produced and linked to it.

sturtus
March 14th, 2019, 16:33
This is bonkers! What did you offer the Dark Lord??

Myrdin Potter
March 14th, 2019, 17:58
Great news that Goodman Games wants to move forward on this!

leozelig
March 14th, 2019, 21:34
That is amazing! Yes, I am definitely interested in helping with this.

joltblaster
March 15th, 2019, 06:50
Congrats. Look forward to good things coming to the DCC world.

Trenloe
March 15th, 2019, 18:43
Great news!

kirklandone
March 18th, 2019, 21:43
Great news for Fantasy Grounds and DCC. Great job everyone for lobbying to get this officially sanctioned.

Leozelig, I would be happy to play test any updates. Been having a blast with my group playing DCC in FG. On our 3rd modules.

Kirklandone

joltblaster
March 18th, 2019, 21:59
You can sign me up but I wonder if we would have to sign an NDA since I assume the ruleset will be a for sale item.

sturtus
March 18th, 2019, 22:40
I’m available to format content into marketplace modules if timelines get tight and there is budget.

TheSwartz
March 25th, 2019, 03:43
Goodman Games has granted us permission to make an official set of DCC ruleset and content. Leozelig, would you be interested in doing this under a commission?

If so, then we would leave the community ruleset as-is for people to continue using but we would branch development to an official ruleset that would also allow for official content to be produced and linked to it.

Oh my lord... after I just spent ALL day making a bunch of tables, items, and parcels on my own... and then thinking "hmmmm... this is a lot of work, I wonder if it'd be OK to share this".... and "Oh... I bet I should shoot an email to GG to see if that would be OK"... and I was literally about to click 'send' before thinking "You know, I should check through ALL 47 pages of that FG thread about the custom rule set to see if this has already been addressed"...

Yep. For real. But, no problem. It was a good refresher on using FG. I look forward to an official package!!! This is awesome news!

Johnny Opie
March 25th, 2019, 15:47
Nice work! Congrats! Not a system I am currently playing, but on my list. Thanks for your efforts.

leozelig
March 27th, 2019, 12:26
Oh my lord... after I just spent ALL day making a bunch of tables, items, and parcels on my own... and then thinking "hmmmm... this is a lot of work, I wonder if it'd be OK to share this".... and "Oh... I bet I should shoot an email to GG to see if that would be OK"... and I was literally about to click 'send' before thinking "You know, I should check through ALL 47 pages of that FG thread about the custom rule set to see if this has already been addressed"...

Yep. For real. But, no problem. It was a good refresher on using FG. I look forward to an official package!!! This is awesome news!

I feel your pain :)

kirklandone
March 28th, 2019, 01:17
I have a question about Encounters and XP.

The Encounters window has a place for XP, but I have not found any documentation for how that XP gets used by FG?

Questions:
1) Should it be the total XP for the encounter or the XP each individual should get?
2) Does it get divided amongst the PCs? If so, when?
3) Does this work in the DCC Ruleset at all?
4) Is it only a Reference for the DM to tell the players complete the encounter. "Now you guys get to split xxx XP for defeating this encounter. Give yourselves yy XP each."

Thanks
Kirklandone

leozelig
March 28th, 2019, 20:38
The XP shown for the encounter is distributed to each PC. Drop the encounter to the party sheet XP tab, and it will display in the list. When you are ready to distribute XP to the players, click the arrow, and *each* PC will get the amount shown. You can certainly use it for reference only, but it works in conjunction with the party sheet the same way treasure parcels work on the Inventory tab.

Let me know if that does not clear it up for you.

kirklandone
March 28th, 2019, 21:19
The XP shown for the encounter is distributed to each PC. Drop the encounter to the party sheet XP tab, and it will display in the list. When you are ready to distribute XP to the players, click the arrow, and *each* PC will get the amount shown. You can certainly use it for reference only, but it works in conjunction with the party sheet the same way treasure parcels work on the Inventory tab.

Let me know if that does not clear it up for you.

I think you answered my "How much XP should I put in the Encounter". Looks like if I wanted each person to get +2XP I would put 2XP in the encounter.

I finally found the ENCOUNTERS section of the Party Sheet. Next time I run a game I will be sure to give this a try.

Thanks
Kirklandone

benjihad
April 14th, 2019, 06:25
Just wanted to put in a request: On the item sheet, a 'HP' field would be fantastic.

Great work on the ruleset, and awesome to see this picked up by Goodman Games finally!

Getting ready to run a one-person, 20 character-crucible tomorrow using Portal Under The Stars. Hopefully, it'll be a TPK, but we'll see. :hurt:

leozelig
April 15th, 2019, 01:38
20 characters played by one person?! That should be interesting...

taoistpunk
April 16th, 2019, 19:13
Congrats on the Ruleset gaining official status!!! Really excited to download and get a funnel running!

benjihad
April 16th, 2019, 19:59
Of course RIGHT AFTER I finish putting a bunch of content in the software, this is released.

Curious to know what sorts of changes are in the official ruleset release vs. this version, if any, thanks.

[Edit: Will just find out when I finish running that adventure this weekend since I just grabbed it after looking at the screenshots this evening. Great work!]

TheSwartz
April 16th, 2019, 22:13
Of course RIGHT AFTER I finish putting a bunch of content in the software, this is released.

Curious to know what sorts of changes are in the official ruleset release vs. this version, if any, thanks.

Yes, I'm wondering too. Will content entered under this ruleset be compatible with the official ruleset when released?

Trenloe
April 16th, 2019, 22:21
... the official ruleset when released?
You may be interested in this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=GGDCCGMG5070T

TheSwartz
April 16th, 2019, 22:23
You may be interested in this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=GGDCCGMG5070T

HAHAHA!! LOL!

Released on April 16, 2019

Well, now I know what to do while off this week :)

Thanks bud :)

TheSwartz
April 16th, 2019, 22:51
Yes, I'm wondering too. Will content entered under this ruleset be compatible with the official ruleset ...?

To answer my own question, I'm no expert, but this seems to work; so far so good!

open the campaign.xml file and change

<ruleset>DCCRPG</ruleset>

to

<ruleset>DCC RPG</ruleset>

Note the space.

TheSwartz
April 17th, 2019, 01:46
I installed and checked things out. Excuse me if we should submit feedback differently, but I notice a couple things:

1. It is awesome!
2. How about a customized "Backgrounds" button that says "Occupations"?
3. When adding an occupation to the character sheet, is it possible to automatically fill in the speed? i.e. 20' for dwarves and halflings and 30' for everyone else?
4. Can we get that awesome Peter Mullen decal added as an option too?
5. Additional action die is added to the features when leveling up. But, in the Actions tab. Will it be possible to add additional action die associated with the listed weapons? i.e. a 6th level cleric with a warhammer equipped. Having the automated d20 attack die, but then a second box with a d14? And with 10th level warrior having a 3rd die?
6. Should Appendix C and P be left out of the Player module?

Will there be a DCC RPG game system subforum added to the main forums page?

Did I mention it's awesome? Thank you!

leozelig
April 17th, 2019, 03:02
1. Thank you!
2. I agree. I borrowed the default 5E theme because I like the leather desktop. I will see what I can do about getting a button made for that.
3. Yes, already done actually. I also added auto-fill support for thief skills. Just need to check that everything is working properly.
4. I am working on more decals, including the alternate cover by Peter Mullen (assuming that's what you mean).
5. The extra action dice are tricky to incorporate without redesigning the weapons list entirely, at least from a coding perspective. Currently, you can add a second weapon entry for the extra action die. You can also click the desktop button ('-2d' for a d14), but you have to do that every time you roll an attack. You can create a hotkey for each attack to make things a little more streamlined. I realize this is not a perfect solution.
6. Good eye - that was my initial plan. But then I found 2 or 3 references in spell descriptions that refer the player to one of those appendices, and it seemed like they needed to be in there. For example, 'Stinging Stone' references Appendix P.

I appreciate the suggestions. I will continue to build and incorporate more official content that was previously off limits.

TheSwartz
April 17th, 2019, 03:22
6. Good eye - that was my initial plan. But then I found 2 or 3 references in spell descriptions that refer the player to one of those appendices, and it seemed like they needed to be in there. For example, 'Stinging Stone' references Appendix P.

Ahhh... that makes sense. Good call :)

Thanks again!

joltblaster
April 17th, 2019, 21:00
Purchased and can't wait to get home and download. Awesome work Leo! Awesome work!

hawkwind
April 17th, 2019, 21:33
This comes out and the AD&D 2e at the same time! Which one to get? I went with DCC

ProfDogg
April 18th, 2019, 01:45
Can DCC get its own thread? I have a lot to talk about ;)

ProfDogg
April 18th, 2019, 02:20
BTW my first question is: will there be ongoing support? I will gladly throw money at FG and GG for FG versions of their modules.

2nd of all: could that ongoing support possibly include the Lankhmar set? I have no idea if GG and/or FG would have rights to convert it? If not, I can go ahead and get started myself for my own game... If so, I can kick back and wait (my campaigns are cycling through a pretty intense scheduled queue of systems right now)...

joltblaster
April 18th, 2019, 15:06
A new thread would be good for documenting issues, feature request, etc.

Dr0W
April 19th, 2019, 14:21
Man, this looks so neat! Thanks a lot for this!

But, am I the only one afraid of accidentally hitting that "Roll" button under the attributes? I love it, but can't stop thinking that one day somebody will re-roll their attributes by accident (or not)

ddavison
April 19th, 2019, 14:25
Man, this looks so neat! Thanks a lot for this!

But, am I the only one afraid of accidentally hitting that "Roll" button under the attributes? I love it, but can't stop thinking that one day somebody will re-roll their attributes by accident (or not)

Someone else just emailed support about that same issue. They requested a confirmation before it rolled and replaced everything.

TheSwartz
April 19th, 2019, 15:38
Someone else just emailed support about that same issue. They requested a confirmation before it rolled and replaced everything.

I was wondering about a little "lock" on the button that you could 'lock' and 'unlock' ?

digitalhobbit
April 20th, 2019, 05:42
I was the one who emailed support. :)

A lock/unlock approach could certainly work as well. But getting this right feels like more UI complexity. Should it be unlocked at first and automatically lock after the initial roll? Or does it manually need to be unlocked first? What if you forget to lock it again afterwards?

Ultimately, rolling stats feels like it should be a one-time thing. There certainly should be some way to reroll later, but only if you have high confidence that this is actually what the user intended. That could be accomplished via a confirmation dialog, a lock/unlock approach, or some other solution.

leozelig
April 20th, 2019, 12:16
Thanks for the feedback. There are a few options here...

1. Add an ‘Edit’ button to the bottom right to “unlock” this option. The button to roll ability scores would only show in edit mode and would appear next to the Edit button, similar to other tabs on the char sheet.

2. Add a ‘Roll Ability Scores’ option to the radial menu when you right-click on the character sheet (maybe with a second click for confirmation). This might be over-looked if you don’t know it’s there, but no risk of accidental re-rolls.

3. Leave the button where it is but add a confirmation dialog box.

I would be interested to hear opinions. I listed these in order of my preference, but I am flexible. Removing it is also an option, but if you need to roll up a few zeroes for a funnel, the old method is tedious.

leozelig
April 20th, 2019, 12:26
I don’t know about the plan for releasing other Goodman Games products. Maybe Doug can answer that? I assume we will see a steady stream of new content. Personally, I think the system-neutral “alphabet” books would be perfect with FG’s tables.

I am working hard to add features to the ruleset that incorporate more official content, so ongoing support of the ruleset is definitely happening. I might be a little slower to answer forum posts, but I am here.

I will start a new thread for the official ruleset.

leozelig
April 20th, 2019, 12:37
Regarding a thread for the official ruleset... Which ‘Game Systems’ sub-forum makes more sense - Classic D&D (as an OSR system) or CoreRPG/Other?

Myrdin Potter
April 20th, 2019, 16:24
It is based on the 3.0/3.5 SRD, but the feel is meant to be more older style, so classic D&D makes sense as well.

digitalhobbit
April 20th, 2019, 17:24
Thanks for exploring these options.

I'm not sure about the radial menu (2.) for the reason you mention. It seems hard to discover. (Admittedly, I haven't played much FG yet, so if this is a common solution, it might make sense here as well.)

Both 1. and 3. sound like fine solutions to me.

Would an Edit button gate any other changes as well? I'm guessing you wouldn't want to lock down manual attribute editing, as this often happens during the course of a DCC session (when a special attack causes STR damage, for example, or you use spellburn).

Which reminds me of another feature request: The ability to track both permanent and current attribute values would be great.

Thanks for the feedback. There are a few options here...

1. Add an ‘Edit’ button to the bottom right to “unlock” this option. The button to roll ability scores would only show in edit mode and would appear next to the Edit button, similar to other tabs on the char sheet.

2. Add a ‘Roll Ability Scores’ option to the radial menu when you right-click on the character sheet (maybe with a second click for confirmation). This might be over-looked if you don’t know it’s there, but no risk of accidental re-rolls.

3. Leave the button where it is but add a confirmation dialog box.

I would be interested to hear opinions. I listed these in order of my preference, but I am flexible. Removing it is also an option, but if you need to roll up a few zeroes for a funnel, the old method is tedious.

leozelig
April 21st, 2019, 02:38
I will experiment with the Edit button. It would not lock anything other than ability rolls. Updates go out on Tuesday.

Spellburn and luck burn are on my list. The free module from the 7th printing (Yddgrrl’s Maze) needs to be added first, but that should be available by the end of the month.

leozelig
April 21st, 2019, 02:52
I recommend tracking ability loss in the combat tracker for now. For example, the judge might create the effect ‘Spellburn; STR:-3; STA:-1’ with duration 0. I honestly prefer that to tracking on the character sheet from a coding perspective, but not everyone will agree.

Trenloe
April 21st, 2019, 05:47
Regarding a thread for the official ruleset... Which ‘Game Systems’ sub-forum makes more sense - Classic D&D (as an OSR system) or CoreRPG/Other?
I recommend you request a new sub forum specific to DCC.

hawkwind
April 21st, 2019, 09:14
Any plans to automate spell casting in the future? I can't even see how to make base spell check roll, i can see modifier for it but no dice to roll

leozelig
April 21st, 2019, 14:12
Any plans to automate spell casting in the future? I can't even see how to make base spell check roll, i can see modifier for it but no dice to roll

It is similar to the 5E ruleset. Drop a spell to the character sheet, right-click on the spell, and select ‘Add Action’ followed by ‘Add Cast’. By default, this will roll a d20 using your base spell check modifier, but you can click the magnifying glass icon to adjust the settings. I believe that some actions will parse automatically when the spell is added, which is something I plan to improve.

I have considered creating rollable spell tables as an alternative. The spell check result would display in the chat window, but you lose the ability to target NPCs, auto-roll NPCs saves, and apply effect modifiers from the combat tracker. Load times for the module might increase considerably as well - tables require some real estate on the back end.