PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds not opening with Steam (Mac OS X)

Eve Robertson
June 23rd, 2015, 18:33
I am using the Mac OS X Yosemite operating system, version 10.10.3, on a 2015 MacBook Pro.

Yesterday, I downloaded the Fantasy Grounds Demo from Steam. I messed around with the software for a little bit, and decided that I really liked what I saw, so I went to the Fantasy Grounds store and upgraded from the Demo version to the Fantasy Grounds License. I received a license key and entered it, and I received the upgraded software without difficulty. I spent a couple hours playing around with the software, and I encountered no problems. I didn't understand how to exit the software at first, and had to force quit a few times; whenever I opened up the software afterwards, I was told that the campaign data had been corrupted or something, and that I was loading a backup. Something along those lines. I suspect, however, that these messages were due to me force quitting the application. (I have since learned how to quit the application safely.)

I realized that the Fantasy Grounds application was still in my "downloads" folder rather than my "applications" folder, so before I went to bed, I dragged the application icon from "downloads" to "applications." I did not delete or otherwise alter any files.

This morning, I tried to load Fantasy Grounds once again, from the WineSkin shortcut on my desktop. And...nothing happened. Normally, an application will indicate that it is loading before opening, but the application will not even load. I do not reach the launch screen; even by manually left-clicking the icon and selecting "open," the program does not respond. I tried to open the application through my Steam account, but when I tried, it gave me the message "failed to start game (missing executable)." I followed the instructions on Steam for encountering this message: I deleted the "apache" folder and I checked my system for any anti-virus or anti-spyware software which might be interfering with loading the application. In fact, I had already specifically enabled Steam.app, WineskinX11, and FantasyGrounds615908271Wineserver to bypass my laptop's firewall. Despite this, the application still will not load whatsoever.

I suspect that in the process of moving FantasyGrounds.app from my Downloads folder to my Applications folder, I somehow managed to confuse the launch process, but I am unsure of what I did exactly to make the application no longer load. I want to uninstall the software and then reinstall, but I have already paid for the Fantasy Grounds License and I suspect that if I were to uninstall and reinstall, I would lose the license I already paid for.

If anyone has a similar experience, please let me know. And if anyone has any possible solutions for the problem, please give me some directions ASAP. I am running a game in exactly a week.

UPDATE: I may have just made a serious error. In a last attempt to fix the problem, I opened the Steam application and selected "validate game cache." It found a number of files which were not properly formatted for the game, and it fixed them....back to the demo. So, effectively, I have a working demo application, but I have lost the Fantasy Grounds license which I already paid for.

Is there any possible way for me to get that license back? Because there's no way I'm going to purchase another one if the software is like this all the time. I can't use my old license key, since I already activated it.

I don't think my original application was completely replaced, however? I now have two links to applications: one which I can open through steam, which is the demo version, and another (the one with the license I paid for) which makes no response when I attempt to open it.

damned
June 24th, 2015, 15:29
you should be able to add your license key in on the settings. the license key can be reused by the one owner more than one time.

Trenloe
June 24th, 2015, 15:40
Uninstall both of your Steam installations and then just install the full FG software (including the Wine package).