PDA

View Full Version : GM Playing a PC

Shadranar
June 23rd, 2015, 17:24
Hi All,

Disclaimer: I'm extremely new to FG (2 days and counting). Awesome VTT by the way!

Sorry if there is an obvious answer to this question, but how does one run, as a GM, a PC in FG?

I have a small group of 2 players and want to add another PC to the group that will be run by myself. I know you can just create an NPC, but I want this guy to get treasure, level up, be a valuable asset to the group and such. I understand the meta-gaming issue here as I'll have all the knowledge possible to have this PC "know" everything. However, he will be just a glorified NPC in the end. The 2 real PCs will still be in the driver's seat so-to-speak. Having the GM play an PC(NPC) is nothing new.

If I were whipping him up at a real tabletop session, easy peasy. Can I just create him as a PC and take ownership?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Trenloe
June 23rd, 2015, 17:27
Create him as a PC. Start another instance of FG on your computer but "Join Game" with a server address of localhost Take control of the PC on this second instance and FG will see it as a player controlled character controlled in your second session.

Shadranar
June 23rd, 2015, 17:46
Thanks for the reply, Trenloe! And duh, I was doing just that last night with one of my PCs to test handouts and map presentation. LOL

I have 2 monitors so it should be problem. Thanks!

TASagent
June 23rd, 2015, 17:47
As an alternative to running a second client, if you just want the NPC's portrait to show up in the upper left, you can have another PC take ownership of him, but not be responsible for using him. As DM, you can always perform any PC's action, but having his portrait show up in the upper left corner requires a PC who is logged in to have control.

Technically, though, neither of these are required, as you can always add him to the combat tracker and party menu from the PC select screen, and deal with it from there. Depends on how you intend to play him.

Trenloe
June 23rd, 2015, 17:53
As the GM you can open the character sheet in your GM instance and do targeting, rolling, etc. from the GM instance. It just makes it easier for the players to see the other PC for drag/dropping items, etc. and makes it a bit quicker for the GM to open the character sheet if they need to.

However, you don't have to run the extra instance. You can drag the PC from the character selection screen to the combat tracker and the party sheet, all from within the GM instance. You won't see the player portrait on the desktop and the players won't be able to directly interact with the portrait placeholder either, but that's about it. As the GM running on two monitors you might find this easier to just run one instance and keep the (N)PC character sheet open on your FG desktop.

Mattkilt
April 24th, 2020, 06:22
When I am running combat I cannot see the player character's actions or click on them. Which causes problems when i am running a PC while the player is AFK or running an NPC as a PC. I see above where it says that the GM should be able to see and activate those. Am I missing a setting or something?

LordEntrails
April 24th, 2020, 06:37
When I am running combat I cannot see the player character's actions or click on them. Which causes problems when i am running a PC while the player is AFK or running an NPC as a PC. I see above where it says that the GM should be able to see and activate those. Am I missing a setting or something?
What ruleset and what if any extensions are you running?

As the GM, you should be able to open any character shhet, and see and interact with everything on the sheet.

Bonkon
April 24th, 2020, 06:45

Good Day Mattkilt :)
If you are in D&D 2E or 5E just click on their portrait in the upper left and select the actions tab, other systems I have not messed with....Yet :)

Trenloe
April 24th, 2020, 07:39
PCs actions don't appear in the combat tracker. As others have said - open the PC sheet to do PC actions etc..