PDA

View Full Version : [FGDaze] D&D 5e - White Plume Mountain

Baron28
June 23rd, 2015, 03:09
When Riikan Dack, a wealthy collector of rare art objects, hired you to recover a weapon stolen from his vault, he offered your group 10,000 gp—a reward sizable enough to dissuade you from asking too many questions. He showed you the boastful note (provided at the beginning of the game) left by the thief—supposedly an ancient wizard named Keraptis—and told you that his sources had pinpointed your destination (the “feathered mound” named in the note) as a volcanic peak called White Plume Mountain. Days later, you found yourselves scaling the south slope of the mountain. You soon located an entry tunnel leading into the rock and emerged in a cave that actually seemed to breathe, exhaling a large cloud of steam and then slowly inhaling again, like a man breathing on a cold day. Inside, the cavern floor was covered with muck—obviously a byproduct of the condensation dripping from the walls and ceiling. Hidden beneath this mud, near the back of the cavern, you discovered a simple trapdoor set with an iron ring. And now, below the opening, a square vertical shaft beckons...

1e D&D adventure module converted to 5e to challenge your character's brains and brawn.

METAGAME:
1. Provide pregen 7th level characters outfitted with 2 uncommon magic items.
2. Outfit each character up to 750 GP of equipment. The amount of equipment will be limited by the RAW for lifting and carrying in the PHB pg. 176.
3. I will do my best to outfit each pregen character with equpiment, powers, and spells that I think will be best to succeed in this adventure. I leave it up to you the players to determine how to best use each character's abilities, equipment, personality, etc. in game.
4. Character selection will happen on game day where each player will role a d20. Highest roll makes first selection. (My apologies for not including this in the original posting)
5. Standard array for stats (15,14,13,12,10,8) will be used.
6. No Evil Characters.
7. No Multiclass Characters.
8. Simple movement rules on the grid, i.e. 1 square = 5 feet in any direction.
9. Rules lawyering will be admitted, but the DMs adjudication is final.
10. This is an old school 1e dungeon crawl format and is IMHO a player killer, perhaps a notch below Tomb of Horrors. You have been warned!
11. We will use FG's teamspeak. I will create a "White Plume Mountain" sub channel under the 5e channel.

Character Class and Race below:

1. Wizard, Gnome,
2. Cleric, Dwarf
3. Paladin, Dwarf
4. Rogue, Wood Elf
5. Bard, Half Elf
6. Fighter, Half Orc

Magic Items and Equipment to be added in the character sheet.

Click here to sign up! (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1481)

WhtZombie
June 23rd, 2015, 04:10
I am in, this module brings back memories from long ago. I have signed up and picked the Fighter. Timezone: UTC -7

Baron28
June 23rd, 2015, 17:52
I am in, this module brings back memories from long ago. I have signed up and picked the Fighter. Timezone: UTC -7

Hi WhtZombie, Thanks for signing up! I'm glad you're interested in playing the fighter character. I apologize for failing to make something clear in my posting regarding character selection. I will have the participants roll a d20. Highest roll picks first. I hope this does not deter your interest in playing this adventure. If so, I completely understand.

Baron

WhtZombie
June 23rd, 2015, 19:21
I will have the participants roll a d20. Highest roll picks first. Baron
No problem with rolling for choice, never played a Bard so who knows maybe this time :)...

poppy_thompson
June 23rd, 2015, 22:00
Sounds very interesting. What is the estimated time for completion? I have a regular game on Saturday night that I DM and can't miss that, of course! :D

EDIT: another question - You outline the makeup of the pre-gen characters, does this mean you will have these characters built when game time arrives or we will do this after we roll for character selection? Probably a stupid question, but my brain is swirling after a long day of work while I am reading your post.

Thanks.

Baron28
June 23rd, 2015, 22:04
Sounds very interesting. What is the estimated time for completion? I have a regular game on Saturday night that I DM and can't miss that, of course! :D

At this point I don't have one, however, feel free to sign up and if you need to bail to get to your regularly scheduled game, I understand.

poppy_thompson
June 23rd, 2015, 22:12
After posting my EDIT, I noticed you already replied to my post! Gotta love the quick service. I am re-asking the question, just in case.

EDIT: Another question - You outline the makeup of the pre-gen characters. Does this mean you will have these characters built when game time arrives or we will do this after we roll for character selection? Probably a stupid question, but my brain is swirling after a long day of work while I am reading your post.

Baron28
June 23rd, 2015, 22:30
After posting my EDIT, I noticed you already replied to my post! Gotta love the quick service. I am re-asking the question, just in case.

EDIT: Another question - You outline the makeup of the pre-gen characters. Does this mean you will have these characters built when game time arrives or we will do this after we roll for character selection? Probably a stupid question, but my brain is swirling after a long day of work while I am reading your post.

I will have the pregens built and ready to go. To provide a bit of randomness/fairness, I'm having the players roll a d20 with the highest roll awarded first choice of the pregen characters.

Baron28
June 24th, 2015, 15:58
There are 4 players signed up so there will be a game. Two spots left open!

Eavaef
June 24th, 2015, 19:52
I look forward to playing with everyone on Saturday

Baron28
June 25th, 2015, 16:49
bump.

WhtZombie
June 25th, 2015, 23:00
Am I missing the start time for this?

Trenloe
June 25th, 2015, 23:22
Am I missing the start time for this?
It's in the Game Calendar entry. Click the "Click here to sign up!" link in post #1. Make sure your timezone is set in your profile and and daylight savings set to off (assuming you're in Arizona).

Baron28
June 26th, 2015, 00:03
1 pm cdt

Baron28
June 26th, 2015, 16:14
2 Slots remain open! Even if you haven't played D&D or are new to FG! Please sign up before these slots go!

GBE300
June 26th, 2015, 22:05
Looks like great fun gl all... I applied to play but the time doesnt work for me so I wish you all the best!

Baron28
June 27th, 2015, 17:08
Here are the Teamspeak details for today's game:

Address: ts.fg-con.com
Password: Dungeoneers (case-sensitive)

Under the channel "FGDAZE!", you will see a subchannel "White Plume Mountain"

See you there!

WhtZombie
June 28th, 2015, 15:11
Great time running through this dungeon. Made me a believer that the old 1e\2e dungeons are worth converting to 5e. I will have to blow the dust off my collection and try my hand at hosting a session at the next FGDaze. Well done Baron28 thanks for the trip down memory lane.

poppy_thompson
June 29th, 2015, 19:25
Great time running through this dungeon. Made me a believer that the old 1e\2e dungeons are worth converting to 5e. I will have to blow the dust off my collection and try my hand at hosting a session at the next FGDaze. Well done Baron28 thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Sign me up. I am still a little upset I missed the rest of this game.

Baron28
June 29th, 2015, 19:55

Glad you had a great time! Indeed, those old 1e/2e adventures are worthy of conversion! Feel free to reach out if you have questions converting your old adventures.