PDA

View Full Version : Par5e new Cleric Domain

TalonHawk
June 22nd, 2015, 08:14
Trying to add the Death Domain from the DMG with Par5e and failing miserably.

Is there a way to just add the domain without adding the entire cleric class?

I'm trying to put it under the class.txt. Should I put somewhere else?

Here is the edited version of what I try to put in...

##;Cleric
#abh;Divine Domains
#ab;Death Domain
The Death domain is ...
#bp;Death Domain Spells
#ts;
#th;Cleric Level;Spells;
#tr;lst;false life, ray of sickness;
#tr;3rd;blindnessjdeafness, ray of enfeeblement;
#tr;5th;animate dead, vampiric touch;
#tr;7th;blight, death ward;
#tr;9th;anti life shell, cloud kill;
#te;
#abf;Bonus Proficiency
When the cleric ...
#abf;Reaper
At 1st level, the cleric ...
#abf;Channel Divinity: Touch of Death;2
Starting at 2nd level, the cleric ...
#abf;Inescapable Destruction;6
Starting at 6th level, the cleric's ability to ...
#abf;Divine Strike;8
At 8th level, the cleric gains the ability to...
#abf;Improved Reaper;17
Starting at 17th level, when the cleric ...

Zacchaeus
June 22nd, 2015, 09:18
I suspect that you will need rather more than just the Domain itself; par5e expects a certain minimum amount of data for a class. If you have a look at the documentation all of the bits in red are the minimum bits that par5e needs or at least expects to see.

Now, on the thingie above the line #bp;Death Domain Spells should be #abf;Death Domain Spells;1,3,5,7,9

hey.eng
June 26th, 2015, 01:07
This is what I used when I par5ed the death domain in for my Cleric class:

#ab;Death Domain
The Death domain is concerned with the forces that cause death, as well as the negative energy that gives rise to undead creatures. Deities such as Chemosh, Myrkul, and WeeJas are patrons of necromancers, death knights, liches, mummy lords, and vampires. Gods of the Death domain also embody murder (Anubi . Bhaal, and Pyremius), pain (Iuz or Loviatar), disease or poison (Incabulos, Talona, or Morgion), and the underworld (Hades and Hel).
#bp;Death Domain Spells
#ts;
#tr;Cleric Level;Spells;
#tr;1st;false life, ray of sickness;
#tr;3rd;blindness/deafness, ray of enfeeblement;
#tr;5th;animate dead, vampiric touch;
#tr;7th;blight, death ward;
#tr;9th;anti-life shell, cloud kill;
#te;
#abf;Bonus Proficiency;1
When the cleric chooses this domain at 1st level, he or she gains proficiency with martial weapons.
#abf;Reaper;1
At 1st level, the cleric learns one necromancy cantrip of his or her choice from any spell list. When the cleric casts a necromancy cantrip that normally targets only one creature, the spell can instead target two creatures within range and within 5 feet of each other.
#abf;Channel Divinity: Touch of Death;2
Starting at 2nd level, the cleric can use Channel Divinity to destroy another creature's life force by touch.
When the cleric hits a creature with a melee attack, the cleric can use Channel Divinity to deal extra necrotic damage to the target. The damage equals 5 + twice his or her cleric level.
#abf;Inescapable Destruction;6
Starting at 6th level, the cleric's ability to channel negative energy becomes more potent. Necrotic damage dealt by the character's cleric spells and Channel Divinity options ignores resistance to necrotic damage.
#abf;Divine Strike;8
At 8th level, the cleric gains the ability to infuse his or her weapon strikes with necrotic energy. Once on each of the cleric's turns when he or she hits a creature with a weapon attack, the cleric can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 necrotic damage to the target. When the cleric reaches 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
#abf;Improved Reaper;17
Starting at 17th level, when the cleric casts a necromancy spell of 1st through 5th level that targets only one creature, the spell can instead target two creatures within range and within 5 feet of each other. If the spell consumes its material components, the cleric must provide them for each target.

I added it in at the beginning of the domains section and it worked great with no hiccups.

pensezbien
July 24th, 2015, 09:48
Is it possible to reference the officially purchased (WotC-licensed) PHB module in par5e for most of the cleric stuff, maybe using #zal or some other form of links, and then just add the death domain bit in a dedicated new module? Or do I have to copy and paste the core cleric bits too? I want to make it easy for my death cleric. Or maybe I could do it manually through FG if there's a way, since this is a one-time need - I plan to buy the DMG module when it comes out in presumably a short time from now.

I guess I'll just proceed with a separate module which only offers the Cleric with a Death Domain, to save time now, but as a programmer myself I'm still curious about the ability to "refactor" as I describe above. :)

Also, I would love it if there's a way for me to switch the player's character (possibly by editing a txt or xml file after backup?) to use the official DMG death domain once I've bought that, and kill my custom death-only module.

Zacchaeus
July 24th, 2015, 13:10
To answer your first question, no you cannot access the official WotC stuff either in par5e or in anything else, and this will also apply to the DMG.

The only way that you can currently get this domain will be to create a separate module. I suspect that you will need the core cleric bits too since par5e looks for a bit more than just the domain but I can't say this for sure. I'd suggest you try it without and then if that doesn't work add in the core bits.

We'll all have to wait and see how the DMG interacts with the PHB as far as the Death Domain is concerned.

epithet
July 24th, 2015, 23:07
Use the D&D Basic Rules Parser (see stickied thread) to generate a set of PAR5E source files. Open class.txt and delete everything but the cleric, then replace the text of the life domain with the death domain text from the DMG, including domain spells, etc. Be careful to preserve the tags and tag structure of the document.

That should give you a class.txt document that you can feed to PAR5E and get your death priest module out the other end.

Edit: it seems that the Basic Rules Parser doesn't create a class.txt file, but the classes are contained in reference.txt instead. It should work the same to simply copy the cleric from that file and paste it into a text file (replacing Life stuff with Death stuff) for PAR5E to chew on.

pensezbien
July 25th, 2015, 02:39
Thanks Zacchaeus and epithet. For just the one player on a short-term basis, it turned out to be easy enough to just add the relevant features etc to the cleric manually inside FG, at least the ones relevant for 3rd level. But I'll try what you said if I have a more than one-off need for another basic rules subclass/subrace/variant which isn't covered by available purchased modules. Hopefully the DMG module will ship before the next time someone requests a death cleric. :)

pensezbien
July 25th, 2015, 02:43
And I had one stupid question about downloading par5e which sort of forced me into the path of manual tweaks inside FG: Zeus's download site seems to require a new registration and separate login. Is this something we're supposed to do to retrieve par5e, or is something broken on his website for downloading the public version? I can imagine for instance that maybe he only intended to put the FG-internal version behind a login wall, or conversely that Zeus wants an email address for every downloader.

Trenloe
July 25th, 2015, 04:14
Zeus's download site seems to require a new registration and separate login. Is this something we're supposed to do to retrieve par5e
You need to register on Zeus's site to be able to download PAR5E.

damned
July 25th, 2015, 04:26
And I had one stupid question about downloading par5e which sort of forced me into the path of manual tweaks inside FG: Zeus's download site seems to require a new registration and separate login. Is this something we're supposed to do to retrieve par5e, or is something broken on his website for downloading the public version? I can imagine for instance that maybe he only intended to put the FG-internal version behind a login wall, or conversely that Zeus wants an email address for every downloader.

the Par5e tool was initially developed by Zeus before he was officially employed by SW. You do need a separate login. You'll need another one too for FGCon7 which is coming up soon :)

pensezbien
July 25th, 2015, 08:52
Thanks Trenloe and damned. I'm fine with making a separate login the next time I have a need for par5e, just didn't want to be raising red flags in Zeus's system if it would look like I was trying to break into the internal version or similar when all I wanted was the public version. :)

damned - FG Con is in October, yes? Odds are I can find the time though it will depend. Looking forward to it!

TalonHawk
July 25th, 2015, 09:06
I don't see where the Basic Rules Parser creates a class.txt file? Seems to do everything but. :-(

Zacchaeus
July 25th, 2015, 13:24
It doesn't create a class.txt file but you will find all of the classes in the reference.txt file.

TalonHawk
July 26th, 2015, 06:57
It doesn't create a class.txt file but you will find all of the classes in the reference.txt file.

I did notice that, but it isn't formatted to go into a class.txt for Par5e?

Zacchaeus
July 26th, 2015, 14:08
I did notice that, but it isn't formatted to go into a class.txt for Par5e?

Yes, it's all formatted correctly and you can easily copy/paste that into a new class.txt file if you wanted to. Or you can just add whatever you want into the reference file.

TalonHawk
July 30th, 2015, 22:12
Yes, it's all formatted correctly and you can easily copy/paste that into a new class.txt file if you wanted to. Or you can just add whatever you want into the reference file.

I don't think I'm being clear, what I mean is that it isn't formatted in a way that Par5e will turn it into a usable class. The text is perfectly correct, but is missing the Par5e class tags.

Zacchaeus
July 31st, 2015, 10:40
Ok, if you use that tool you will get a PHB which is based on the free pdf that wizards released. Within that phb are the four classes in that pdf. those clases will work in Fantasy Grounds by dragging/dropping. So, yes the text in that reference.txt file is correctly formatted for use in par5e.

If you want to create your own class.txt file then open up the reference.txt and copy everything from ##;Cleric until the start of chapter 4, and paste it into a new file called class.txt. You can then use par5e to par5e just this bit and also use this bit to add anything else you want, such as the other classes in the full PHB.

In conclusion the reference.txt file does include all of the necessary tags.