PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Questions

Meliath1742
June 21st, 2015, 18:37
Still new to FG and I'm curious,

1. Why does Fantasy Grounds requires two directories (Fantasy Grounds & Fantasy Grounds II)? Is this due to software upgrades?

2. Once you "/export" a campaign to module form can/should you delete the campaign entry?

Griogre
June 21st, 2015, 18:56
1) I presume you are talking about the install and data directories? If so, then the install directory holds the FG executable and actual files to support the exe. The other holds "save files" and info for rulesets, extensions, tokens, campaigns, etc - play data in other words. And yes the FG II is obsolete, we're on FG3 now but when the software was released on steam the decision was made to just call it FG instead of FG3. I personally have FG1 still installed on my laptop, I think.

2) Yes, but - if you ever think you are going to change anything in that campaign then it is convenient to keep the campaign around. If you do have the module though you can change the .mod file extension to .zip and unzip the module and recreate the campaign though.

Meliath1742
June 21st, 2015, 20:12
Thanks for the answers!

Trenloe
June 21st, 2015, 23:54
2) Yes, but - if you ever think you are going to change anything in that campaign then it is convenient to keep the campaign around.
I'd recommend you always keep your module creation campaigns around - just on the slight off-chance that you might want to change them or take advantage of some future ruleset functionality and re-create your module.

If you do have the module though you can change the .mod file extension to .zip and unzip the module and recreate the campaign though.
It's not as simple as this - you can only recreate simple campaign structures directly from a module. If you have any links at all, either in story entries, shortcuts on maps/images, NPC links in encounters, linked tables, etc. then these won't work when you convert a module to a campaign as the links are still expecting the linked data to be in a module. Sure, you can manually go through and edit the XML, but just be aware that it's not a simple process to convert a module back to a campaign.

Meliath1742
June 21st, 2015, 23:59
Understood...thanks! Guess I'll keep the campaigns for now☺

Trenloe
June 22nd, 2015, 00:00
Understood...thanks! Guess I'll keep the campaigns for now☺
If you don't want a long list of campaigns in the "Load Campaign" screen just back them up somewhere else and copy them back if you ever need to use them again.