PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh version, ever?

RiotGearEpsilon
December 17th, 2004, 22:54
Will there ever be a mac version of this program, with Mac/Windows compatibility?

Dupre
December 17th, 2004, 23:03
We are currently in the works of adding more features in the software. After that we will consider using some resources on porting to OS X and Linux. No timeline has been set for this yet, but it won't happen before spring 2005.

RiotGearEpsilon
December 17th, 2004, 23:22
Thanks! Good to know.

Heilemann
February 25th, 2005, 09:04
Just to add my two cents; Fantasy Grounds would really appeal to Mac users due to the way it looks and works. I can't help but compare it to Garageband and Delicious Monster, both of which of course make use of wood in their apps :)

Fantasy Grounds is currently the only product that I'm usin on my PC; once you guys come out with an OS X version I can finally throw my PC the hell out :)

d20books
March 14th, 2005, 23:54
I'm on my new mac and am waiting for a port over to Mac OS X myself :)

Unfortunately, even with 100mbps Ethernet, the Remote Desktop Controller over to the WinTel box does not do the graphics very well.

Fantasy Grounds is the only reason I still have a monitor connected to my d*mn HP.

Giddoen
March 15th, 2005, 19:03
I'm on my new mac and am waiting for a port over to Mac OS X myself :)

Unfortunately, even with 100mbps Ethernet, the Remote Desktop Controller over to the WinTel box does not do the graphics very well.

Fantasy Grounds is the only reason I still have a monitor connected to my d*mn HP.

AMEN!

:P

subbuglio
July 26th, 2005, 13:33
Any news in this field?

Neomancer
January 14th, 2006, 22:42
Any updates on this?

I, for one, would love to see this ported over to the mac. Just curious if there are any plans to do so?

Cheers,

--~:|NEOMANCER|:~--

Alkaven
January 15th, 2006, 02:21
I honestly can't foresee it happening anytime soon. For multiple reasons though. 1. This application was developed in a low level language and designed for a specific operating system right from the start. To create a Mac OS X port would require changing the application source code dramatically. I do not believe at all that Smite Works had any plans in place to create a Mac version from the start. 2. Judging by alot of what Fantasy Grounds does and doesn't have, it seems there was no intention of accomodating any other operating system at all. You see alot of applications out there that use different language domains for the sake of allowing users on different operating systems to use the application. Alot of these applications are not all that graphical. Because Fantasy Grounds was designed to be flashy and pretty (which evidently suckers alot of people into buying it), I'm willing to bet the original scope of the application was not meant to accomodate virtual graphic devices from other operating systems.

Now I'm not saying Smite Works will never create a Mac OS version. Mac OS is probably jsut as graphically capable as Windows. I'm just saying I don't even see it happening before 2007.

Bumamgar
January 15th, 2006, 06:03
Alkaven, I'm sorry you have such vitriol in your heart for this product and the company behind it. However, your comments in this thread don't actually mean anything.

Point 1: It doesn't matter what "low level" language Fantasy Grounds is developed in. There are Linux and OS X compilers for damn near every language on the planet (including C#) so that doesn't mean diddly. As for being coded for a specific operating system, that point holds almost no water since FG doesn't even use proper Windows windowing calls/decorations. They rolled their own (which, as a side effect, causes problems with things like alt-tab under Windows, but thats a different point). Anyway, even if it was written specifically to a Win32 API, there are compatability libraries for Linux and OS X that you can use, or they could switch to a platform agnostic rendering library such as Open GL. One of these days I think I'll see if FG works under Wine :)

Point 2: This point is pulled straight from your rectum. There isn't a single feature in Fantasy Grounds that is windows dependant. Not one. The "flashy graphics" which, as you put it, "sucker people in", are in industry standard formats like PNG. The data formatting is industry standard XML. The new scripting language in 1.06 is LUA (which is completely cross platform). In fact, if you actually look at the features built in to FG, it looks to me like they went out of their way to avoid Windows proprietary formats and use platform agnostic, industry standard formats instead. This, to me, shows that they probably do have plans to port FG to non-Win32 platforms sometime in the future.

Anyway, normally I just ignore your hate-filled posts on these forums, as I'm sure many others do. But this particular one happens to strike sort of close to home as I happen to be a software developer by trade, and seeing you try to present an "authoritative" opinion on this particular subject, when it is clear you are anything *but*, prompted me to respond so that hopefully others won't be misled.

It is certainly possible that no alternate OS version of FG is ever released, but it certainly won't be due to the two "reasons" you present in your post.

Stuart
January 15th, 2006, 10:06
Bumamgar
Well said !

Alkaven
Do stop whining ... and try and give the many FG users out there *some* credit for being relatively discerning customers with a modicum of intelligence. I looked closely at Klooge and a whole bunch of other platforms and deliberately chose this one because I could use it easily and because it offered exactly what I wanted without all sorts of bells and whistles which frankly I would never use. Your opinion that "we" were "suckered" into buying FG is doubtless somewhat erroneous, many of use tried the demo and *then* bought the full programme.

The Developers at FG have been very supportive of those of us who are playing with xml developing rulesets, they are quick to post replies to all manner of queries *and* they have modified the website to support us.

My own limited experience of computer programmes and the support offered to clients is such that I have genuinely found their customer service to be excellent. Coupled with the community of FG users ... helpful, friendly, talented (there are some clever wee xml buggers out there !) etc ... FG ROCKS ! (and I say that as a "reserved Englishman").

Stuart

LordTomar
January 15th, 2006, 11:12
Alot of these applications are not all that graphical. Because Fantasy Grounds was designed to be flashy and pretty (which evidently suckers alot of people into buying it), I'm willing to bet the original scope of the application was not meant to accomodate virtual graphic devices from other operating systems.

Well since you seem to be using the program alone with the rest of us, you must have been "suckered" same as everyone else who bought the program.

Its not really a suprise with how you talk on the forums that noone seems to want to join your games. And this alse seemed to be your biggest problem with FG from some of your posts "not enough players". My guess is they are just looking to join other games.

Kimian
January 15th, 2006, 19:07
Ooooooh, BURNNNN!
:)

In all serious, I love Macs and use mine to do illustration on a regular basis. If I had the option to use FG on Mac or PC, I'd choose Mac, but I a patient man.

"Good things come to those who Mac."

Alkaven
January 16th, 2006, 02:36
Well, evidently, the developers aren't very active considering they never locked this thread soon enough what with all your childish insults and arguments. However, I'm sure there's a little leeway somewhere behind the scenes.

Rather than pursuing this topic further (considering the circumstances), I would rather instead express the complete disappointment I have in the people here. My remarks have been completely indifferent and unbaised on completely fair and reasonable grounds. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care if anyone joins my games anymore. All of you are very petty-minded, selfish, and baised. Your completely established on selling this product in exchange for making yourselves out to be complete utter hypocritical assholes. As far as you are all concerned, any kind of reasonsable remark does not matter as far as principle goes, just as long as it's in the favor of the product your selling.

I'm tired of dealing with children, or those who act like them. I'm tired of trying to have an opinion that is my own. If I had the option, I would gladly return this piece of **** you call a virtual tabletop in exchange for my money back. All it is now is just a money-making scheme marketted by a faceless community.

If I was the man behind this application, I would be ashamed of all of you. I would look at these comments as a test and challenge, and agree with them open-heartedly. I want nothing more to do with this place.

Ged
January 16th, 2006, 08:29
Some of the recent posts are off-topic, hence the thread will be locked.

We are well aware of the importace of different OS versions - in many groups considering options to play RPGs online, there are people with mixed hardware. Having said that, implementing different OS versions have not been scheduled at this point - we want to concentrate on the next version at the moment and after its release we will provide users the support to take advantage of it, during which the following steps will be decided.