PDA

View Full Version : Multiple licenses questions...

Hexen525
June 21st, 2015, 07:20
The group I play with is looking for a nice map app to run our D&D games on. We play at my place, but the DMs have mentioned issues with having to draw out each map on the dry erase board each time. So we have been looking for an app that can be ran on the DM's laptop and shown on my desktop with the larger displays. Fantasy Grounds seems to fit perfectly for our needs. Now my question is can I own 2 accounts? One for the DM to make his maps and stuff. And 1 for me to load on my PC as a player just to view what the fog-of-war allows? I know the Ultimate allows for unpaid players to play. But 2 DM/Player accounts is about half the price.

Any info would be great.

damned
June 21st, 2015, 07:41
Hey Hexen525 you absolutely can do it the way you have described.
An alternative might even be to plug the external monitor into the GMs laptop and he can then connect a free second instance to server host localhost and you can share the maps that way.
Doing this method means only one license but layers could not use the mouse and keyboard etc it would be looking only.

If you are truly only using the maps and masking / fog of war then you might even consider something like maptools.... Fantasy Grounds has so much more functionality - I hope you would use some more of its features!

Hexen525
June 21st, 2015, 08:09
Thanx for the fast reply!

We looked into just hooking a monitor to the DM's laptop. The DM sits on the exact opposite wall as my desktop. And with the style we want to do, it allows the DM to have other windows open that we can't see.

As far as the features, as time goes on we might start to get games going during the week over the internet. But for now, this is all we need it for.

But I can have 2 licenses of my own? I know the game goes through Steam. Would that affect anything?

damned
June 21st, 2015, 08:13
Steam will let you buy a 4 pack but I dont think Steam will let you buy 2 singles... Im not sure. The Fantasy Grounds store here will let you buy multiple copies and will just send you as many keys as you purchase. The Steam 4 pack right now could be the best bet at $84 for a 4 pack with the bundle and the steam summer sale combined.

Hexen525
June 21st, 2015, 08:20
Oh, I'm going to buy from this website. I just needed to know if there would be any issues having more than 1 license on my email address. And I thought I saw somewhere that all DLC was delivered by Steam.

damned
June 21st, 2015, 09:19
The bit about the DLC is not correct. You can buy it here or on Steam or even some from each.
If you use a MAC you need to buy the DLC here as it doesnt update properly on MACs for this product on Steam.

Hexen525
June 22nd, 2015, 01:54
No Apple products in this house ^_^

Thanx for all your help. Ordering now.

damned
June 22nd, 2015, 07:13
Nice work Hexen525 if you and your players want to try a game this weekend have them check out FGDaze! in my signature.

alexrawlins
July 29th, 2015, 23:28
The bit about the DLC is not correct. You can buy it here or on Steam or even some from each.
If you use a MAC you need to buy the DLC here as it doesnt update properly on MACs for this product on Steam.

That is great information about Mac's and leads me to decide if I buy on steam or not. Pity the 4 bundle pricing on steam isn't available on the website. (I realize ultimate would allow free clients, but we would rotate DM's so that sounds impractical)

damned
July 29th, 2015, 23:35
Hey alexrawlins you can buy your license keys on Steam if you prefer but if you are using a Mac you need to buy the DLC here. 5e PHB, Call of Cthulhu etc. The base product you can buy here or these and the keys will sync across to both.

alexrawlins
July 31st, 2015, 15:05
Interesting. So steam appears to put things in a very different place than wine. After doing the demo install of both steam and from the site. I can't find the campaigns folder on the steam version, and the steam version doesn't appear to allow full screen mode. Is it just me who has issues with that, or is it the fact it is the steam demo version that causes the issue?

alexrawlins
July 31st, 2015, 22:05
Ah I found it, it just buries that virtual C drive deep inside the packages.

I may have to test steam a bit more then.

damned
August 1st, 2015, 00:50
Yes the Steam install is buried VERY deep!