PDA

View Full Version : Building custom magic Items 5e, help please

Dazzar
June 21st, 2015, 02:49
Hi all I am pulling my hair out about trying to build magic items at the moment weapons, all I see is basic +1 weapons and I need to know if there are more build Items or do I have to build every thing my self in 5e, I am not that good strait programming but get by so if there are any tutorials I need them explained in basic terms.

Where the comma's and full stops and stuff go on the weapon build to link stuff to work as intended. Here is an example of a +1 weapon I built is this correct, and if I wantyed to add an effect to it how would I do that or make it more complicated or higher level? I supose I am looking on how to code the correct items in the interface tutorial of something. I saw one tutorial where someone had all the items they just used was that 3 or 4e? Please help.
Regards Daz

Moon Wizard
June 21st, 2015, 05:27
Other than the fields shown, the remainder of the item information is just tracked in the notes field. Items do not have "effects" tied to them.

We may look at adding some additional item functionality as we prepare for the DMG launch, which will be after the PotA module.

Regards,
JPG

Dazzar
June 21st, 2015, 05:44
Oh thanks, well I ment things like, if I wanted a sword to only be +1 only when it hits a goblin or something which i do, a goblin slayer sword, oh can the players see if its magic or the bonus how do they identify it?

Is there some guide to show me how to add these or link the properties correctly to the note field so they work please moon wiz.

JohnD
June 21st, 2015, 05:52
There's some nice functionality coming in the DMG I believe.

Moon Wizard
June 21st, 2015, 05:53
If you make an item and give it the "Weapon" type, then additional fields appear for bonus/damage/properties. If you enter a number in the bonus field, this should be equal to the bonus of the weapon (i.e. +1, +2, +3). When an "identified" version of the weapon is added to a PC sheet, then the weapon entry will automatically be created with the correct bonus to hit and damage from the bonus field. Also, the damage and properties fields will be parsed and used in the weapon record as well.

The weapon record will not be added if an "unidentified" version of the weapon is added to a PC sheet, since this would give them all the details of bonus and extra damage. In these cases, I add a generic version of the weapon to the PC sheet, mark with an asterisk, and replace with the final version once they identify.

Regards,
JPG

Dazzar
June 21st, 2015, 06:14
ah ok thanks

damned
June 21st, 2015, 06:34
You could create a MODifier called Goblin Slayer with value +1 and have the player drag this to her hotkey bar and click it prior to any attack or damage rolls against goblins.

Dazzar
June 21st, 2015, 07:00
ok I did think of that but thought it could be added to the weapon directly, thanks damned for telling me how though

damned
June 21st, 2015, 07:37
I dont believe you can make it that specific in terms of automation.
The automation does handle things like fire and immunity to fire but not to monster races...
Not at least as far as I know...

Zacchaeus
June 21st, 2015, 09:53
There is an extension which can add optional conditions and that will allow you to specify a 'condition' like Goblin. You can then use IF and IFT statements to handle the automation. However damned's suggestion above is actually an awful lot simpler. :)

Dazzar
June 21st, 2015, 11:32
you guys are awesome thanks for the help