PDA

View Full Version : 2 players 1 ip address

crb31
June 19th, 2015, 13:45
I was running a game and I had 2 players that were trying to log on using the same ip address. It didn't work but is there something we could have done to make it work?

TASagent
June 19th, 2015, 13:53
I have done this before and did not experience any issues. Did you have other players successfully connect? Did these two players test their connection? (ie, is it possible they had a firewall issue?)

crb31
June 19th, 2015, 14:26
I hadn't thought of the firewall. Yes, others were able to connect and I had a client window open to make sure things looked right on the player side.

dulux-oz
June 19th, 2015, 14:28
The only person who needs to worry about their own IP address is the GM - it doesn't matter if the Players are using one IP address each or one IP address for all the Players (as it is the combination of IP address and TCP Port Number that uniquely identifies a Player's instance of FG - Each instance of FG gets a random, near-unique Port Number - the chance of the same Port Number being assigned is zero - that's the way TCP/IP works).

This is similar to multiple instances of IE on the same PC being used to access the same web page on the same web server - there is no issue doing this.

Provided that a Player's firewall allows outgoing connections (and just about all firewalls do unless explicitly stopped) then the IP isn't the problem. The GM, on the other-hand, does have to worry bout how his firewall is set up.

So, were these two Players the only ones who couldn't connect, or was it everyone?

If it was only these two, could one of them connect if the other wasn't around?

Are they using the same license number?

Were they using a Demo License and was the GM using a Full License?

Let us know and we'll get it sorted for you :)

Cheers

TASagent
June 19th, 2015, 14:28
crb31: It sounds like neither of the two people were able to connect, which strongly indicates that it's not an issue of the two of them trying to connect from the same IP. Short of weird timing issues, I would expect one of them to be able to connect at a time if it were actually related to an issue with two incoming connections from the same IP.

dulux-oz
June 19th, 2015, 14:34
For that matter, how do you know the two were using the same IP Address?

Griogre
June 20th, 2015, 01:43
And finally, were these 2 players on your local LAN? Where they should be using your *internal* IP address not an alias.

crb31
June 20th, 2015, 03:05
For that matter, how do you know the two were using the same IP Address?

They told me...

crb31
June 20th, 2015, 03:06
And finally, were these 2 players on your local LAN? Where they should be using your *internal* IP address not an alias.
No, these two were in central time zone and I am in mountain.

crb31
June 20th, 2015, 03:12
crb31: It sounds like neither of the two people were able to connect, which strongly indicates that it's not an issue of the two of them trying to connect from the same IP. Short of weird timing issues, I would expect one of them to be able to connect at a time if it were actually related to an issue with two incoming connections from the same IP.

1 was able to connect. The other would connect and then time out and then be disconnected.

Nylanfs
June 20th, 2015, 03:14
Are they both on wireless? If so could they try plugging into their router

crb31
June 20th, 2015, 03:20
The only person who needs to worry about their own IP address is the GM - it doesn't matter if the Players are using one IP address each or one IP address for all the Players (as it is the combination of IP address and TCP Port Number that uniquely identifies a Player's instance of FG - Each instance of FG gets a random, near-unique Port Number - the chance of the same Port Number being assigned is zero - that's the way TCP/IP works).

This is similar to multiple instances of IE on the same PC being used to access the same web page on the same web server - there is no issue doing this.

Provided that a Player's firewall allows outgoing connections (and just about all firewalls do unless explicitly stopped) then the IP isn't the problem. The GM, on the other-hand, does have to worry bout how his firewall is set up.

So, were these two Players the only ones who couldn't connect, or was it everyone?

If it was only these two, could one of them connect if the other wasn't around?

Are they using the same license number?

Were they using a Demo License and was the GM using a Full License?

Let us know and we'll get it sorted for you :)

Cheers
It was just one of the two- everyone else was able to connect.

I do not know about the license...could be the issue. I do not know for sure. They also could have both been demo users.

I, the DM, have a full license subscription.

crb31
June 20th, 2015, 03:26
I don't know if this will ever happen again, but if does I have the right questions to try and get to a solution around it.

More importantly, I appreciate all your help.

dulux-oz
June 20th, 2015, 04:26
They told me...

OK :)

So, how do they know - what I'm trying to get at is if they are using the same IP on the "internal" side of their router or on the "external" side. If on the "internal" side I can't understand how they could be using any computer-internet connection. If on the "extenal" side then their IP isn't an issue and something else is the cause.

Let us know :)

Cheers

dulux-oz
June 20th, 2015, 04:27
I, the DM, have a full license subscription.

Then your Players will need Full or Ultimate Licenses to connect to you - plus I think 1 Demo can connect (I am unsure about this last bit).

Cheers

crb31
June 20th, 2015, 04:45
OK :)

So, how do they know - what I'm trying to get at is if they are using the same IP on the "internal" side of their router or on the "external" side. If on the "internal" side I can't understand how they could be using any computer-internet connection. If on the "extenal" side then their IP isn't an issue and something else is the cause.

Let us know :)

Cheers
That I don't know.

Moon Wizard
June 20th, 2015, 07:11
When running a Standard (i.e. Full) license, the players must all have their own Standard or Ultimate license.

The Full version does allow one free/demo player to connect, but only if nobody else is connected and they will be booted as soon as a non-demo license connects.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
June 20th, 2015, 14:49
Crb31 - the next time these players try to connect look carefully at messages you get in the chat window. If it says switching to demo then that player is using a free licence. They'll need to buy a licence as the full licence you have requires players to have full or ultimate licences (outside of the single player demo mode M_W mentions).

crb31
June 20th, 2015, 14:54
Crb31 - the next time these players try to connect look carefully at messages you get in the chat window. If it says switching to demo then that player is using a free licence. They'll need to buy a licence as the full licence you have requires players to have full or ultimate licences (outside of the single player demo mode M_W mentions).

Will do.