PDA

View Full Version : Saving Throw Oddness

dj-wedge
June 19th, 2015, 06:08
I have an odd behavior going on and we can't seem to figure out why this is happening. It's just this one character, it seems.

When a spell is cast on this one character by an effect that forces a save (say Wisdom) and the game performs an automatic saving throw for him, he is getting a -5 penalty on the save.
But when he rolls the save manually, he gets his normal +1 (as he should).

This happens for every kind of save on this one character.

We've checked all his effects, and there's nothing. He's not encumbered. It's just baffling us.

Anyone have any ideas?

JohnD
June 19th, 2015, 06:27
There's always that one guy that all the bad stuff happens to. This is that guy. Probably bad mouthed the deity of chance or luck.

Zacchaeus
June 19th, 2015, 14:09
It would have to be something on the character sheet I feel, rather than on the Combat Tracker, but nothing is springing to mind at the moment.

TASagent
June 19th, 2015, 14:25
I am curious about the results of a simple test.

When you can, go to the combat tracker and expand out his stats (click the fist), double click one of his attributes (to roll an attribute check), and shift-double click one of his attributes (to roll an attribute save). Do both of these yield results as if his attribute values were 0? Do they also show up as 0 in the tracker? Have you tried removing and adding him back into the combat tracker?

dj-wedge
June 19th, 2015, 15:39
And... I learned something new just by complaining. :) I did not know about "hold shift" to turn an attribute check on the CT into a saving throw.

@TASagent - I'll test this out tonight.

merlinpaladin
June 19th, 2015, 17:18
also you can set up the crit on 19-20 in the individual weapons so you dont have to have a buff cluttering up your CT.

dj-wedge
June 19th, 2015, 17:55
@merlinpaladin It's actually a "global" setting for him. He's a Champion with Improved Critical.

Trenloe
June 19th, 2015, 18:18
@merlinpaladin It's actually a "global" setting for him. He's a Champion with Improved Critical.
In that case open the weapon group details (click the magnifying glass on the "Weapons" heading) and change the crit range there.

merlinpaladin
June 19th, 2015, 20:06
What he said. :)

epithet
June 19th, 2015, 23:10
How do you set the crit range for an individual weapon?

merlinpaladin
June 20th, 2015, 01:25
Click the hourglass as in above pic10291

epithet
June 20th, 2015, 01:30
No, that changes the crit range for any weapon attack made by the character.

I think--though I am not sure--that it is not possible to specify a crit range for a particular weapon. That's why I was asking.

Zacchaeus
June 20th, 2015, 09:20
No, that changes the crit range for any weapon attack made by the character.

I think--though I am not sure--that it is not possible to specify a crit range for a particular weapon. That's why I was asking.

We seem to have drifted off the original topic so I'll just go with it :)

I can't see that an individual weapon can have a crit range specified either. The only place for it to go would be in the 'properties' field of the weapon, but I've tried various permutations of the word critical and none of them have any affect as far as I can see. The only 'hidden' property that I know of that works in this field is the reroll one, but there could be others that they're keeping secret :)

Having said all that I don't think I have come across anything which gifted this property to a single weapon (possibly magical one, but I haven't checked), but there are one or two instances where a character can gain the global one so it may not be too much of an issue.

epithet
June 20th, 2015, 16:17
It's one of the additions I'll be looking for when the DMG is released, to accommodate vicious weapons and the like. We need "vicious" for an extra crit die, "keen" to expand the crit range on a weapon, and "IMMUNE: critical" for adamantine armor. It might be a good idea to have melee and ranged tags possible for the crit immunity, too.

Griogre
June 21st, 2015, 09:39
By the way on the -5, check encumbrance and that he is proficient with armor.

dj-wedge
June 24th, 2015, 02:57
I got so caught up in the other cool stuff that happened in the thread I forgot to test the saves. But for whatever reason it is no longer doing it. Cleared itself up. It wasn't encumbrance or armor proficiencies.

A glitch in the matrix.