PDA

View Full Version : Possible? : One DM PC, one laptop for rest of players (local gaming)

TheoGeek
June 19th, 2015, 00:33
So, I got Fantasy Grounds (ultimate) mainly for organizing and keeping track of the games that my family plays together. We are D&D fans (I go way back to Dungeons and Dragons Basic set (red box!)), so the kids come by it naturally. :)

Anyway, I was wondering if it's possible to have me act as the DM on my PC and have a laptop connected to my server which everyone else uses to move their characters, roll dice, etc...

Basically, I'd like to keep some stuff hidden, but I don't need everyone to have a different laptop at the table when one would suffice.

Thanks, and I'm really loving Fantasy Grounds so far!

Nylanfs
June 19th, 2015, 00:37
Yes, the player laptop would have to connect to the DM's client with a separate license ($39USD) (or the DM has the Ultimate License) and using the internal IP address but not the external or the alias.

TheoGeek
June 19th, 2015, 01:49
Cool. I do have the ultimate license, and I have connected one laptop to a server I started, so I know that works. With help from this forum, I was shown how to enable the connected PC(s) to access the PHB and MM I bought as well, and one of my sons was able to enter the info from a paper version of his character into a FG character. That's pretty cool.

So, I need to play with it a bit more, but I assume that 4 people using one laptop to move their tokens around and attack stuff works just like if I (as DM) were doing it? If so, that's pretty much exactly what I want. I still want the kids to be able to "roll their own dice" via the laptop, and it sounds like this will enable that.

I really hope this doesn't morph into "needing" a 27" flat touchscreen to use as a "gaming table"... :)

Thanks!

damned
June 19th, 2015, 03:03
Hey TheoGeek - in this situation with 4 players you might find that a bluetooth/wireless keyboard and mouse might save some wear and tear on the laptop. If the kb+mouse are getting passed around rather than the laptop it might lessen the bumps you get on that device. I hope that makes sense?

Nylanfs
June 19th, 2015, 03:03
They just need to switch player character's when it's the next turn.

Also just think of this, use a projector to project second FG map on to the table. Way easier than a flat touch screen. There's some pictures floating around here some where.

soulcat
June 19th, 2015, 03:54
I 50 inch Tv, where I have my players computer hooked up to, along with a wireless keyboard and mouse so they can pass it around and move their characters. I find that works pretty well.

TheoGeek
June 19th, 2015, 04:04
All great ideas! Thanks!