PDA

View Full Version : FG accounts and downloads

Niles
June 18th, 2015, 21:41
I'm in a bit of a quandary, I was wondering if anyone can help me out. One of my players bought the 5e rulebooks, but I had to use his FG username and password to get them on my computer. I want to buy the new 5e Tyranny of Dragons modules, but want to download them under my username and password. Will I lose the rulebooks since they were originally purchased under his username? I just want to avoid having to pay my player anytime I want a 5e item and use his username, and would rather purchase it myself under my username. Any suggestions?

merlinpaladin
June 18th, 2015, 21:53
Parse it yourself or purchase content. No way to transfer them as they are account specific.

TASagent
June 18th, 2015, 21:56
The DM will need to have the module he wants to run and any class packs or monster packs he wants to use on the same account (ideally his own, but that wasn't really the question). I believe I read about some future tech that will loosen the restrictions some, but I do not believe it extends to a player alllowing the DM to use the monster pack he bought. So either his account will need to get the modules, or your account will need to get the books. You could also investigate the Par5e options if you want to run the module but really don't want to get the books. Also, the core rulebooks aren't necessary to run the modules. The players could conceivably level up and export their characters offline or in a game hosted by your friend who has the books.

Additionally, it's probably against the ToS to share and swap accounts around like that, but it doesn't sound like you're trying to be too abusive.

Trenloe
June 18th, 2015, 22:08
If a player has bought some products they shouldn't be giving you their ID for you to have access to them. Sorry, that's against the terms of sale. A recent update to FG allows a player who has different material to the GM to activate their own purchases and see them when connected to a GM (if the GM allows their request to view the material) - so this allows a player to have access to their purchases within a game. But, if the GM wants access to material they will need to purchase - they shouldn't be "borrowing" from someone else.

If you change your username in FG settings and run an update any 5E content you haven't purchased will be removed. So, I'm afraid, the only real (legal) solution is for you to purchase the 5E content you want to use.

Niles
June 18th, 2015, 22:17
Well there was no ill intent here at all. My player wanted me to have the books and bought them, but then we couldn't figure out how to get them to my computer since I am the only one with the DM license, so using his password was the only way we could figure it out.

TASagent
June 18th, 2015, 22:41
If it was his intent to buy the books for you, you can try contacting smiteworks about transferring the ownership. If he just wants you to have access to the books sometimes, then that's more like double-dipping. :-)

If the GM has the core books, he can share access to connected players, which sounds like what you might want.

Niles
June 18th, 2015, 22:44
Thanks TASagent, that's exactly the situation. We will contact them and see if that's possible.

Trenloe
June 18th, 2015, 22:47
Thanks TASagent, that's exactly the situation. We will contact them and see if that's possible.
Send an email to [email protected] with details of the two FG usernames and the products you want to move from one username to the other. I would imagine SmiteWorks will try to contact the player on their email address on their FG account to confirm this, so make your player aware they might be getting an email.

Niles
June 18th, 2015, 23:57
Thanks, Trenloe! Will do...

etropic
June 19th, 2015, 01:48
An easy was to do this in the future is use the Steam "Purchase As Gift" option

Trenloe
June 19th, 2015, 01:52
An easy was to do this in the future is use the Steam "Purchase As Gift" option
Yep (as long as you're running on a PC and not a Mac, as DLC isn't operational for a Mac). Or, in this example the GM and player are obviously fine sharing username/password info - change your FG password temporarily, give that to your friend while they purchase the content for your account, then change your password back afterwards. This was obviously something that was done to help without realising the future implications.

Niles
June 19th, 2015, 02:00
Yeah, we realize this now. It was also the first time that we'd used the method of inputting our Fantasy Grounds usernames and passwords for downloading purchases and didn't think ahead how this would affect future purchases

Trenloe
June 19th, 2015, 02:04
Yeah, we realize this now. It was also the first time that we'd used the method of inputting our Fantasy Grounds usernames and passwords for downloading purchases and didn't think ahead how this would affect what account had the books.
No worries. Hopefully this thread will help others out.

I'm sure the SmiteWorks folks will get you sorted. :)