PDA

View Full Version : Questions about ultimate edition

Ymmurri
June 18th, 2015, 06:22
Hey, i've been playing DnD for a few years in a regular group but a few of us are moving and won't be able to get together to play physically anymore.

We were thinking about fantasy grounds but it is a bit too much for us all to get (we are a group of 6)

If i get the ultimate edition does that mean that we will be able to play with only me actually making a purchase? And will i have to DM or can another player who hasn't payed DM if i get the ultimate edition.

JohnD
June 18th, 2015, 06:29
If you get Ultimate, you can DM for anyone. Nobody else will be able to DM with your license; they'll have to buy the Full version. Luckily there's a bit of a sale going on now, so this would be a good time to take the plunge.

Ymmurri
June 18th, 2015, 06:33
If i get the ultimate edition and the DM gets the standard can the rest play with just the demo?

Also are the monster and class packs just digital versions of the monsters and players handbooks or are they necessary to play with those monsters and classes?

dulux-oz
June 18th, 2015, 06:52
If i get the ultimate edition and the DM gets the standard can the rest play with just the demo?

Also are the monster and class packs just digital versions of the monsters and players handbooks or are they necessary to play with those monsters and classes?

No

It works like this:

If the DM has an Ultimate License then anyone can connect (Demo, Full or Ultimate - or the now-defunct Lite License).
If the DM has a Full License then the Players will need Full or Ultimate Licenses (or the now-defunct Lite License).
If the DM has any other License than only 1 Demo License can connect - no Full, no Ultimate, no Lite Licenses.

Licenses can not be transferred ie you cannot buy an Ultimate License and "share" it.

So, if only one of you is ever going to GM then the Ultimate License is the best value.
If more than one of you will GM then a bunch of Full Licenses are the way to go - unless each GM wants to purchase their own Ultimate Licenses.

The other option is for the GM (fixed or revolving) to subscribe to an Ultimate License each month and cancel the subscription when not GMing - all the Campaign data will be saved and I believe you can export the Campaign data from GM to GM.

The Monster and Class Paks are not needed to play, but you will have to enter the relevant information in manually yourself. The Paks simply have done all this work for you. They are the info from the relevant books but they are also formatted and "manipulated" to work with FG's automation features.

There is also a tool available called PAR5E which will help in entering information instead of buying the Paks.

Note that the Players will be able to access the info in the Paks or entered manually while they are connected to the GM (if the GM allows them to), but not while the GM is offline - unless the Players have their own copies of the relevant Paks which they purchase themselves.

This article from the FG Wiki might help in understanding things as well (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Development_Overview).

Finally, there are some excellent Tutorial Videos available on the FG Wiki as well - damns' are excellent, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Does that help?

Cheers

Ymmurri
June 18th, 2015, 06:58
Yeh that helps heaps just need to know whether or not the class set is necessary if we have the players handbook.

damned
June 18th, 2015, 06:59

Thats right - this is the digital FG version of the hard backs. You can enter the info in manually as you need it.
The $3 basic rules is a good teaser.
The Lost Mines of Phandelver (and possibly Rise of Tiamat) include the Basic rules too.

Ymmurri
June 18th, 2015, 07:01
I read something about transferring licenses at any time, but only having a license on one computer at a time. Is this true?

dulux-oz
June 18th, 2015, 07:03
I read something about transferring licenses at any time, but only having a license on one computer at a time. Is this true?

Upgrading Licenses yes (from Demo to Full, from Full to Ultimate), but I can't recall being able to Transfer Licenses (from one person to another).

Damned?

Ymmurri
June 18th, 2015, 07:05
Damned?

dulux-oz
June 18th, 2015, 07:23
I was asking damned to comment :)

damned
June 18th, 2015, 07:44
You cant transfer licenses. Licenses are issued to a person. They can be moved to another computer that person uses but they are only available for the licensed user to use....

dulux-oz
June 18th, 2015, 07:49
They also wont allow 2 computers using the same license to connect to each other - I know, I've tried (development work, not to rip-off SW) :)