PDA

View Full Version : Druid Wild Shape

GBE300
June 16th, 2015, 01:22
Hi All,

Whats the best way you have found to load wild shape forms for your druid?

Currently I have added a power that tracks how many shifts I have / have used and added weapon attacks for the forms I used most. I have not been able to sort out how to tie them together or to be able to sort out resists and immunities while in a specific shape. Any advice would be killer!

Cheers.

merlinpaladin
June 16th, 2015, 01:30
I just made a new character with all the new monster stats. It has all the attacks and defenses that the player should have.

Nylanfs
June 16th, 2015, 01:50
Yep, and have the player switch between the characters when he shifts forms that way you don't have a long list of PC's at the top.

Draca
June 16th, 2015, 03:57
We drop the animal on the npc window and share to the druid, he then can control the animal form , and has a perfectly sized token as well.

Couple that with kelendros78 hp under zero extension, and your in business, but i think the extension is awaiting an update.

GBE300
June 16th, 2015, 08:38
Thanks for the help all, That just seems a bit much to do... I was thinking of adding in some stuff as effects and just adjusting as needed for rolls. Currently I'm tracking HPs in the temp HP area, and rolling free for the dm to make adjustments in the combat tracker. I'll take a look at the extension once its updated (subscribed to the thread) and I'll see if adding the npcs / characters is what I want to do. Cheers.

Mavrik6666
June 16th, 2015, 10:40
We have created a Druid WildShape Module from the MM, and imported it, and made it player accessible... when he changes, we open up the library, and drop the animal in the combat tracker, change it to friendly, give him the same initiative, and make his player token invisible..... he can now open up the library, and play as the creature.. plus now its a library, you can edit it and add in things that are different, as a DM I add to it as he finds new animals to change into.. remember you have to have seen the creature to change into it .. .much to the annoyance of my player, though... the local zoo gets some good druid coin :)

Trenloe
June 16th, 2015, 14:46
Thanks for the help all, That just seems a bit much to do...
Sharing the animals as NPCs is actually simpler and less error prone than messing around with the PC sheet. Especially as your player's druid list of animals it might shape into gets longer.

Treegreen
June 16th, 2015, 15:44
For those interested:

Standard Beast Shapes

Level 2: Max CR ¼, no flying or swimming speed
(0) Baboon, Badger, Cat, Deer, Giant Fire Beetle, Goat, Hyena, Jackal, Lizard, Rat, Scorpion, Spider, Weasel
(0.125) Camel, Giant Rat, Giant Weasel, Mastiff, Mule, Pony
(0.25) Axe Beak, Boar, Draft Horse, Elk, Giant Badger, Giant Centipede, Giant Goat, Giant Lizard, Giant Wolf Spider, Panther, Riding Horse, Wolf

Level 4: Max CR ½, no flying speed
(-) Frog, Sea Horse
(0) Crab, Octopus, Quipper
(0.125) Giant Crab, Poisonous Snake
(0.25) Constrictor Snake, Giant Frog, Giant Poisonous Snake
(0.5) Ape, Black Bear, Crocodile, Giant Sea Horse, Reef Shark, Warhorse

Level 8: Max CR 1
(0) Bat, Eagle, Hawk, Owl, Raven, Vulture
(0.125) Blood Hawk, Flying Snake, Stirge
(0.25) Giant Bat, Giant Owl, Pteranodon,
(0.5) Giant Wasp
(1) Brown Bear, Dire Wolf, Giant Eagle, Giant Hyena, Giant Octopus, Giant Spider, Giant Toad, Giant Vulture, Lion, Tiger

Circle of the Moon Forms

Level 2: Max CR 1, no flying or swimming speed
(0) Baboon, Badger, Cat, Deer, Giant Fire Beetle, Goat, Hyena, Jackal, Lizard, Rat, Scorpion, Spider, Weasel
(0.125) Camel, Giant Rat, Giant Weasel, Mastiff, Mule, Pony
(0.25) Axe Beak, Boar, Draft Horse, Elk, Giant Badger, Giant Centipede, Giant Goat, Giant Lizard, Giant Wolf Spider, Panther, Riding Horse, Wolf
(0.5) Ape, Black Bear, Warhorse
(1) Brown Bear, Dire Wolf, Giant Hyena, Giant Spider, Lion, Tiger

Level 4: Max CR 1, no flying speed
(-) Frog, Sea Horse
(0) Crab, Octopus, Quipper
(0.125) Giant Crab, Poisonous Snake
(0.25) Constrictor Snake, Giant Frog, Giant Poisonous Snake
(0.5) Crocodile, Giant Sea Horse, Reef Shark
(1) Giant Octopus, Giant Toad

Level 6: Max CR 2, no flying speed
(2) Allosaurus, Giant Boar, Giant Constrictor Snake, Giant Elk, Hunter Shark, Plesiosaurus, Polar Bear, Rhinoceros, Sabre-Toothed Tiger

Level 8: Max CR 2
(0) Bat, Eagle, Hawk, Owl, Raven, Vulture
(0.125) Blood Hawk, Flying Snake, Stirge
(0.25) Giant Bat, Giant Owl, Pteranodon
(0.5) Giant Wasp
(1) Giant Eagle, Giant Vulture

Level 9: Max CR 3
(3) Ankylosaurus, Giant Scorpion, Killer Whale

Level 12: Max CR 4
(4) Elephant

Level 15: Max CR 5
(5) Giant Crocodile, Giant Shark, Triceratops

Level 18: Max CR 6
(6) Mammoth

(list courtesy of Stelio on rpggeek.com)

viresanimi
June 16th, 2015, 20:31
Personally I've just made an effect on my player's charactersheet that changes the stats of the character. And with the remove effect extention it is a breeze to control.

Vires Animi

Daxis32
June 16th, 2015, 22:45
Sharing the animals as NPCs is actually simpler and less error prone than messing around with the PC sheet. Especially as your player's druid list of animals it might shape into gets longer.

How do you share an NPC? I don't see that option.

Trenloe
June 16th, 2015, 23:02
Drag the NPC link to the PC portrait.

Full steps here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20711-Any-interest-in-a-Summon-Monster-Nature-Ally-module&p=171712&viewfull=1#post171712 It's for 3.5E/PF but is completely relevant to 5E.

ShadoWWW
June 16th, 2015, 23:15

I think he takes the monster from Monster Manual and place it to NPC. Then he takes the monster from NPC and place it to portait of the PC. PC then can see the monster in NPC. Then as it has been already mentioned, GM places the NPC to Combat Tracker and places it on the map. PC then can use the statistics of the monster from the NPC.

I hope it is clear. I apologize for my English, I am not a native speaker.

Nylanfs
June 17th, 2015, 00:16
That was it perfectly ShadoWWW :)

GBE300
June 17th, 2015, 03:37
Okay that makes heaps of sense and seems easy enough. Thanks for the info!

MTS
August 18th, 2015, 18:22
This is awesome - thank you for reposting it!

Diceman
August 28th, 2015, 11:18
I have been trying to create a condition that modifies the Druid's attributes but I can't seem to get the syntax correct . I have limited programming skills but I am trying to base my entries on what I am reading in the condition section of the wiki. I am confused on whether there should be brackets around the attribute labels and on whether I am supposed to be replacing the PC's STR,DEX, and CON with the animal forms attributes or am I supposed to be adjusting the PC's attributes up or down to match the animal form?

Zacchaeus
August 28th, 2015, 13:31
When the Druid transforms into a beast he retains the Druid's Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores but takes the Strength, Constitution and Dexterity of the Animal. So if you wanted to create an effect to recognise this you would need to create one which brought the Druids STR, CON and DEX into line with the animal. So let's say that the Druid had stats of STR 10, CON 14 and DEX 12 and the animal form had stats of STR 18, CON 8 and DEX 10. The effect would be Wild Shape; STR: +8; CON: -6; DEX -2. You would drag this effect onto the druid whenever he was in Wild Shape. You won't see any difference in the stats on the character sheet but the pluses and minuses will be taken into effect on any rolls which are based on those stats.

Having said all of this it is much, much easier to follow one of the methods described above for wildshaping Druids than trying to create effects to represent the changes.

Trenloe
August 28th, 2015, 16:55
The effect would be Wild Shape; STR: +8; CON: -6; DEX -2. You would drag this effect onto the druid whenever he was in Wild Shape. You won't see any difference in the stats on the character sheet but the pluses and minuses will be taken into effect on any rolls which are based on those stats.
Note: there is a current issue with ability effects not applying to saves.

Having said all of this it is much, much easier to follow one of the methods described above for wildshaping Druids than trying to create effects to represent the changes.
Yup.

Diceman
August 28th, 2015, 20:03
When the Druid transforms into a beast he retains the Druid's Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores but takes the Strength, Constitution and Dexterity of the Animal. So if you wanted to create an effect to recognise this you would need to create one which brought the Druids STR, CON and DEX into line with the animal. So let's say that the Druid had stats of STR 10, CON 14 and DEX 12 and the animal form had stats of STR 18, CON 8 and DEX 10. The effect would be Wild Shape; STR: +8; CON: -6; DEX -2. You would drag this effect onto the druid whenever he was in Wild Shape. You won't see any difference in the stats on the character sheet but the pluses and minuses will be taken into effect on any rolls which are based on those stats.

Thank you so much for the info. I've already implemented the condition into my campaign.

Diceman
August 28th, 2015, 20:04
Note: there is a current issue with ability effects not applying to saves.

Yup.

Thank you for the heads up. I'll just make sure my player applies the appropriate modifiers to her save rolls until this is resolved.

Koreapsu
August 29th, 2015, 04:39
Not exactly pertinent to this conversation but useful for druids.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FlkQpSrEFKC8B4adzVbdIl2pkSil5dD1JOSorarX3EU/edit#gid=1614110108

X-baby longshot
October 3rd, 2015, 09:35
with the NPC option how does the player control the NPC attacks, i don't see any attack dice/damage dice listed on the NPC sheet. do you control via the combat record the same as the GM would do?

Zacchaeus
October 3rd, 2015, 13:07
with the NPC option how does the player control the NPC attacks, i don't see any attack dice/damage dice listed on the NPC sheet. do you control via the combat record the same as the GM would do?

See my post on your other post for the answer to that.

drakonin
October 11th, 2016, 15:20
For quick reference I create an item called Wild Shape and then drag the animals they can change into directly from the monster manual, this allows the druid to look at all their options anytime.

loserbrewer
February 3rd, 2018, 19:19
Would you be able to share the module you are using. Seems like an easy way to handle wild shape.

John

We have created a Druid WildShape Module from the MM, and imported it, and made it player accessible... when he changes, we open up the library, and drop the animal in the combat tracker, change it to friendly, give him the same initiative, and make his player token invisible..... he can now open up the library, and play as the creature.. plus now its a library, you can edit it and add in things that are different, as a DM I add to it as he finds new animals to change into.. remember you have to have seen the creature to change into it .. .much to the annoyance of my player, though... the local zoo gets some good druid coin :)

Trenloe
February 3rd, 2018, 19:31
Welcome to the forums!

Would you be able to share the module you are using.
Not legally if it's using data directly from the commercial Monster Manual product.

You should be able to make a similar module yourself from the SRD or Basic Rules data included with your FG license.