PDA

View Full Version : Not able to host

iceman2541
June 15th, 2015, 01:49
Greetings,

Am hoping the gurus here will be able to help with Port/Connectivity/Hosting issues.

First things first - here are my system details, OS information and FG data: I run Windows 8.1 and have a Linksys wireless router (WRT54G). I'm also running Spybot Search & Destroy. I've got an ultimate license so that I can GM and play. I do NOT have issues connecting to other games, but I am unable to host or have others connect to my campaigns. The ultimate license potentially becomes useless if I cannot host, so I am very hopeful my issue can be resolved.

Second, what I've tried: I went into ipconfig to get default and IP addresses. Then went into my router settings and under Applications & Gaming, Port Range, I used 1802 as a start and end, used Both for protocol (TCP and UDP), added my IP address extension and clicked enable. Then, I went under Port Triggering and under Triggered Range and Forwarded Range, used Start Port 1802 to End Port 1802 and clicked enable. Under DMZ, I selected Enable and made sure my IP was there and accurate. After doing all that, I made sure to reboot and restart FG (as an administrator). When I launched FG in GM mode, I clicked on load campaign and clicked Run Test - Failure. I also generated an alias and had a friend try and connect - Failure. I also made sure the router was set to UPnP enabled.

Next, I went into Windows Firewall, then to Advanced Settings and made sure that FG was an app "allowed to communicate through the firewall". I then rebooted everything and attempted the Run Test again - Failure. Same thing when my friend tried to connect using the alias - Failure.

From what my friend told me, the above steps should have resolved things, but unfortunately, did not.

I don't know what else to try. Is there some other setting I missed in the router configuration or in the firewall? Am I running something incorrectly?

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks!

JohnD
June 15th, 2015, 01:55
Is your modem one of those that can act like a router / wifi hotspot? If so, it may have 1802 blocked on it, even if you aren't using the wifi capabilities because you have your own router.

Trenloe
June 15th, 2015, 02:10
Second, what I've tried: I went into ipconfig to get default and IP addresses. Then went into my router settings and under Applications & Gaming, Port Range, I used 1802 as a start and end, used Both for protocol (TCP and UDP), added my IP address extension and clicked enable. Then, I went under Port Triggering and under Triggered Range and Forwarded Range, used Start Port 1802 to End Port 1802 and clicked enable. Under DMZ, I selected Enable and made sure my IP was there and accurate.
Only do one of these, not all three. The recommendation is to do port forwarding. Disable/remove the other port 1802 specific entries you made in port triggering. Then reboot your router and try again. If that doesn't work, briefly disable all firewalls on your PC and try.

iceman2541
June 15th, 2015, 02:28
Only do one of these, not all three. The recommendation is to do port forwarding. Disable/remove the other port 1802 specific entries you made in port triggering. Then reboot your router and try again. If that doesn't work, briefly disable all firewalls on your PC and try.

Ok, gave this a try. Removed reference to 1802 under triggering and left it in forwarding. Also disabled DMZ. Rebooted router, disabled firewall temporarily, ran FG as administrator and still got the failure. :(

damned
June 15th, 2015, 02:57
when you log on to your Router what is its PUBLIC/WAN IP?
If it also begins with 192.168.something or 10.something (and in some cases 172.16.something thru to 172.31.something) then you have two routers in your setup - probably one best described as a modem/router and the one above which we will call your wifi/router.
If this is the case you have 2 devices doing NAT.
You will need to do the same (just use Port Forwarding) on the modem/router but forward the traffic there to the WAN IP on the wifi/router.
On the wifi/router forward it to your computer.

send me a PM if you are still lost or want some direct help.

iceman2541
June 15th, 2015, 03:16
when you log on to your Router what is its PUBLIC/WAN IP?
If it also begins with 192.168.something or 10.something (and in some cases 172.16.something thru to 172.31.something) then you have two routers in your setup - probably one best described as a modem/router and the one above which we will call your wifi/router.
If this is the case you have 2 devices doing NAT.
You will need to do the same (just use Port Forwarding) on the modem/router but forward the traffic there to the WAN IP on the wifi/router.
On the wifi/router forward it to your computer.

send me a PM if you are still lost or want some direct help.

PM sent. Thanks!