PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate License Character Management

Hobbes
June 15th, 2015, 00:55
I apologize in advance if I missed this in the FAQ's or it's already been posted here.

I'm thinking about buying the Ultimate license and was wondering can my players manage their characters offline using the software? My group typically plays once every couple of weeks and between sessions is when they generally handle character management issues and ideally I'd like them to be able to manage their own characters offline between sessions. Is that possible with a Fantasy Grounds Ultimate license?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Nylanfs
June 15th, 2015, 01:22
No they would have to be logged into your game session. Now this isn't saying that you leave FG running at certain times for them to do this. The only way for them to handle their own characters is if everyone had the Full license and /export their characters.

Trenloe
June 15th, 2015, 02:07
The way Nylanfs mentions is the best way (leaving the server up at certain times and the players can login).

However, this is not the only option. The players can use "Manage Characters" between sessions. If they select the campaign they wish to access their PC from they get read only access to the PC through "Manage Characters". In order to make the PC read only in Manage Characters they can export the PC to as a XML file and then immediately re-import the PC XML file. This will create a copy of the PC shown as a "Local Character" - this can then be modified and loaded into the GM session when they next connect. It will be a good idea to use a slightly different name so as not to confuse the old PC with the modified one.

This works for all licences of FG - including the free one. The one issue you'll have is that the players with full or ultimate licences will only get access to libraries they'veve purchased themselves when using Manage Characters. The free licences will only get access to some content that they've purchased - but this is only older content and rulesets, not recent content that is stored in the new encrypted content vault (e.g. the 5E content including the PHB).