PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Creation

bnickelsen
June 14th, 2015, 20:56
I looked a little fro a video or wiki to help but came up short. Just need a little guidance.

Question 1

Am I understanding that currently you can not have a multi damage weapon. I.E. Longsword of Flame. (Making this up as I go) but say the damage might be 1D8 Magic plus 1D4 Fire. so I can set up the 1D8 but need to wait till the player puts it on their sheet to add the fire?

Question 2 Weapons

For weapons what goes in each of the following field s
Subtype =
Bonus =
Damage =
Properties =

Question 3 Armor

Same question as weapon what goes in the fields
Subtype =
AC Bonus =
Dex Bonus =
Strength =
Properties =

Thank you in advance

Zacchaeus
June 14th, 2015, 22:37
In answer:

Question 1: Yes, it doesn't appear that what you want to do can be constructed in the Item template and simply dragged into the character sheet. It will accept whatever damage type you specify initially but will ignore a further type. Unless there's a trick I'm missing. Once in the character sheet however you can edit it to include any additional damage and types as well as whether it's magical.

Question 2: These are mostly taken from the Weapons table in the PHB. Subtype is simple melee, simple ranged etc. Bonus is where the weapon does bonus damage (such as a sword +1 the bonus would be 1). Damage is the damage so for a shortsword it would be 1d6 piercing. Properties is as the properties column in the PHB; so a shortsword would have the properties Finesse, light.

Question 3: Again these are all taken from the armour table in the PHB. Subtype is Light, medium etc or shield. AC bonus is the AC the armour gives if it is magical so Scale mail +1 would be 1. Dex bonus is either yes or max 2 or nothing depending on what bonus the armour allows according to the dex column in the armour table. Strength is the minimum strength required to wear the armour from the STR column on the PHB table and properties is where you would put disatvantage where wearing the armour would give the PC disatvantage on stealth checks if wearing that armour. You might also put any other properties the armour has such as resistances or whatever it might give if it is magical.

Note that in the case of armour all of the entries are descriptive; in other words dragging armour into the PC won't do anything automatically. The PC will have to update their AC and any other things which might change due to the new armour being equipped.