PDA

View Full Version : Import E-Tools XML?

Amaril
December 14th, 2004, 21:04
This product looks interesting, though I haven't had much opportunity to really dig into it. Out of curiosity, how easy would it be to have exported E-Tools XML data imported into this application. I'd like to be able to take existing E-Tools characters or use E-Tools to create new characters using data sets of different sources (i.e. - Tome and Blood, Song and Silence, Complete Warrior, Book of Vile Darkness) and use those characters with Fantasy Grounds without manually entering in the data.

Goblin-King
December 14th, 2004, 22:09
In a technical sense, it's very doable, since both e-Tools and Fantasy Grounds use one XML file per character (for importable, i.e. local mode characters in the case of FG). All you'd need is a XML translator that would take the XML data from one, and output it in the format needed by the other. The magnitude of this task, however, depends pretty heavily on your XML skills. I'm making no promises, but since e-Tools is one of the most commonly used tools out there, we might be looking at providing one ourselves at some point.

Amaril
December 14th, 2004, 22:22
If SmiteWorks created such a tool, I would be a very happy person. With E-Tools available to create characters and mosnters, Dundjinni to create maps and adventures, and Fantasy Grounds to run those adventures online using those characters, monsters and maps, gamers now potentially have a suite of electronic tools that they've desired for a long while.

Ashy
December 14th, 2004, 23:42
If SmiteWorks created such a tool, I would be a very happy person. With E-Tools available to create characters and mosnters, Dundjinni to create maps and adventures, and Fantasy Grounds to run those adventures online using those characters, monsters and maps, gamers now potentially have a suite of electronic tools that they've desired for a long while.

Sounds like some matches made in heaven, eh, GK?

(wink, wink, nudge, nuge)...

;)

Bitr_Haag
December 15th, 2004, 21:38
As a believer of demand creating supply...

I'd like to second the desire for a 3.5 E-tools export option. I'm just joining the virtual table top gaming community and exploring several solutions (GW, FG, OpenRPG, etc...). None, as far as I can tell, have an easy 3.5 E-tools character export interface.

My $.02

WolfStar76
December 17th, 2004, 16:36
As AOLer's the world over used to be well-known for saying. . .

"Me too". :)

For that matter. . . do I smell your first "add-on" or accesory here? I'd toss a coulpe bucks for something like this. ;)

j0nezn
December 17th, 2004, 20:37
That would be so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Amaril
December 18th, 2004, 18:13
I sincerely hope SmiteWorks will collaborate with Codemonkey Publishing to create such a utility. I've discussed this very same idea on the CMP E-Tools forums and they seem interested in cooperating with SmiteWorks so long as SmiteWorks exhibits the professional courtesy of notifying them of such a "plug-in". lonejedi, one of the co-owners of CMP, stated that he'd even "pimp it" on their home page should it happen.

What say you, SmiteWorks? :D

Amaril
January 12th, 2005, 17:25
Any news on this topic?

Dupre
January 14th, 2005, 13:42
We've discussed this and plan on having some way of exporting to the format, but we don't have a time set for it yet. It might turn out to be an external application.

Amaril
January 14th, 2005, 13:44
We've discussed this and plan on having some way of exporting to the format, but we don't have a time set for it yet. It might turn out to be an external application.And the same for importing E-Tools XML into Fantasy Grounds, too?

Aesir
February 10th, 2005, 09:24
Any other character creation toolsets on the market, such as Player Genie or PCgen, being discussed for such a conversion utility?

Dupre
February 11th, 2005, 13:40
As much as we'd like to see support for all of these formats, we are above all, focused on improving the core functionalities of the software first and then when the opportunity occurs, extending import/export like capabilities to cover as many products as possible.

Aesir
February 11th, 2005, 23:11
I posted my question for two reasons ...neither of which were immediately obvious, I suppose.

To explain...

I wasn't so much as looking for a promise of such features within a certain time frame, as much as I was trying to get a feel for whether or not close ties with CMP's e-Tools would lead to lesser support (or lack of support) for competing products (such as DM and Player Genie). Over time, as FG matures and develops, support for integration with a wider set of tools makes the product more valuable to me.

The other reason I'd asked was because I read here that requests for features (while not always immediately responded to) get logged for future consideration and evaluation. So... I figured posting would put this type of request on your radar.

Thanks for the reply!