PDA

View Full Version : Change CR XP vaule

bnickelsen
June 14th, 2015, 02:11
can I modify the default XP amount that is set to the CR ?

Trenloe
June 14th, 2015, 02:22
You'll have to change each encounter manually. There is no built in automation to calculate the XP of an encounter record based off the CR. Click the padlock icon in the top right of the individual encounter entry - this will unlock the encounter and allow you to change it.

bnickelsen
June 14th, 2015, 02:26
You'll have to change each encounter manually. There is no built in automation to calculate the XP of an encounter record based off the CR. Click the padlock icon in the top right of the individual encounter entry - this will unlock the encounter and allow you to change it.

It must be pulling the xp from the NPC

Trenloe
June 14th, 2015, 02:34
It must be pulling the xp from the NPC
It shouldn't be. Is this for a new encounter you're creating or for an encounter from an adventure? If from an adventure can you provide an example?

Zeus
June 14th, 2015, 02:36
can I modify the default XP amount that is set to the CR ?

At the moment, the 5E ruleset looks up the XP values of the NPCs and then does a lookup using an internal table for the CR value - the XP ranges have been defined from the table on page 9 of the MM. I might look at exposing the table moving forward so that users can adjust XP CR thresholds but for now its fixed.

Trenloe
June 14th, 2015, 02:44
At the moment, the 5E ruleset looks up the XP values of the NPCs and then does a lookup using an internal table for the CR value - the XP ranges have been defined from the table on page 9 of the MM.
Ah, I've never noticed the refresh CR and refresh XP icons before. I was assuming that any XP/CR calculations would be automatic similar to the 3.5e/PF XP calculation extension. Thanks for setting me straight.

bnickelsen
June 14th, 2015, 05:26
At the moment, the 5E ruleset looks up the XP values of the NPCs and then does a lookup using an internal table for the CR value - the XP ranges have been defined from the table on page 9 of the MM. I might look at exposing the table moving forward so that users can adjust XP CR thresholds but for now its fixed.

I trim my XP back to slow advancement. would be nice to have a way to do that.

Zacchaeus
June 14th, 2015, 15:33
I trim my XP back to slow advancement. would be nice to have a way to do that.

As Trenloe says above you can, just not automatically. Once you have prepared your encounter adjust the xp to whatever proportion that you want to use.

bnickelsen
June 14th, 2015, 15:48
As Trenloe says above you can, just not automatically. Once you have prepared your encounter adjust the xp to whatever proportion that you want to use.

Yes, I was just pointing out why I was looking to do it.

I like and use the rules on PG 82-84 of the DMG I just cut the final award down.

I would really like to see this implemented, but maybe that needs to be an extension?

Griogre
June 14th, 2015, 20:10
The easiest way to do this would be an extension. The way I would do it is in the party sheet. That would allow you to not have to change anything in the monsters or encounters. Instead when XP is distributed via the party sheet just modify that code to use whatever proportion you are using and distributed the modified values to the PCs. This would be pretty robust too since the Party Sheet code is rarely touched.

Zeus
June 14th, 2015, 20:13
The easiest way to do this would be an extension. The way I would do it is in the party sheet. That would allow you to not have to change anything in the monsters or encounters. Instead when XP is distributed via the party sheet just modify that code to use whatever proportion you are using.

I was actually thinking of exposing the internal XP/CR lookup table as a rollable campaign table. That way users can adjust the ranges to their needs by simply editing the table.

epithet
June 14th, 2015, 20:15
Another thing you could do would be to add the waggon and the house to the PC sheet so that they would eat a share each of the party's xp. When the PCs complain, tell them "you're getting extra xp to compensate" which, if you don't reduce the xp awarded to slow their advancement, is technically true.

Griogre
June 14th, 2015, 20:18
I was actually thinking of exposing the internal XP/CR lookup table as a rollable campaign table. That way users can adjust the ranges to their needs by simply editing the table.

A problem I see with a lookup table is how are you going to deal with parties that are not 4 PCs? You'll need to be able to adjust the party size for the values to intuitively.

bnickelsen
June 14th, 2015, 20:45
A problem I see with a lookup table is how are you going to deal with parties that are not 4 PCs? You'll need to be able to adjust the party size for the values to intuitively.

I don't think the party size is a factor.

A CR 1 NPC is worth "X" xp regardless of how many player are involved. You still divide "X" by the number of players.

If "X" = 100 then 4 players get 25 each and 5 players would get 20 each. That takes care of the party size and the change in difficulty.