PDA

View Full Version : DM vs Player map?

bnickelsen
June 13th, 2015, 14:07
Why have two?

Nylanfs
June 13th, 2015, 14:16
Because some times you don't want the numbers for the rooms showing to the players. Also the GM's map will usually have traps and secret doors on it.

damned
June 13th, 2015, 14:36
When using the PINS feature of Fantasy Grounds - I totally agree - why have two?
With pins you dont need to put secret doors, traps, room numbers etc on the map.

But otherwise - Nylanfs is right - prior to pins you needed the numbers and other detail on the GMs map so you also needed one without.

Trenloe
June 13th, 2015, 16:43
There's a number of reasons - as Nylanfs said, even with pins it's sometimes nice to be able to have a quick glance and see traps, secret doors, etc. without having to hover over map pins. It also allows the GM to have the player map open and zoomed in at where the current action is and use the GM map zoomed out for reference. It's giving you the flexibility/best of both worlds.

Xorn
June 17th, 2015, 17:18
Trenloe has the right of it. I have pins on my player map, which doesn't have a number key or secret things showing. Then I have a much smaller DM map with numbers (and pins) plus secret stuff showing. I'm usually zoomed way in on the player map to the room/section they are exploring, and on the DM map I can quickly open pins they are getting near for a reminder of what's coming.

chrisiav
June 17th, 2015, 17:43
Quick question on 2 maps: how do you get both a DM and Player map? Do you open 2 of the same image, one shared and one not?

Trenloe
June 17th, 2015, 17:52
Quick question on 2 maps: how do you get both a DM and Player map? Do you open 2 of the same image, one shared and one not?
Two different images loaded in the campaign (or the module). As Xorn and I mention above - the DM map is usually different: showing secret doors, traps, etc. and is usually smaller resolution as it is just for the GM to refer to and isn't shared with the players.

TASagent
June 17th, 2015, 17:52
Typically, the DM map and the Player maps are different images altogether. One would be shared, possibly masked, and possibly locked view. The other would be private, and no real need for masking. The DM maps often just have traps and secret doors drawn straight on them, whereas the player maps might have traps represented with tokens (make sure they aren't revealed with the mask), and with story pins.

Trenloe
June 17th, 2015, 17:56
The DM maps often just have traps and secret doors drawn straight on them, whereas the player maps might have traps represented with tokens (make sure they aren't revealed with the mask), and with story pins.
I put story pins on the DM map too - makes it really easy for the GM to get info on locations. Once you have your story entries setup it takes only a minute to drag them all to the GM map and the player map - and any other maps you have. Use pins a lot - they're a fantastic way of making sure the GM has the info they need right at their fingertips.

TASagent
June 17th, 2015, 17:59
Ahh yeah, I realize that wasn't particularly clear. I just meant the player maps "have traps and secret doors... represented with tokens and with story pins". It is absolutely worth your while to pin the crap out of both of the maps.

chrisiav
June 17th, 2015, 19:08
Much thanks for the info. I'll probably have more questions as I fight through learning the system and I definitely appreciate the help.

Griogre
June 17th, 2015, 19:14
FYI this is a style and complexity issue. If the map is not very complicated with a lot of DM secret stuff or small, then there often is not much reason to have a DM only map. Don't feel compelled to make a GM version if you don't think you would need one.

Xorn
June 17th, 2015, 23:14
Griogre makes a great point. I just finished my Temple of Elemental Evil adventure module, which is hands down the largest adventure I've ever built (thanks PAR5E) and half the maps do not have a DM version because I saw no need for it. Some of the player maps I didn't even remove the numbers because they weren't intrusive.