PDA

View Full Version : Player Feedback after their first session with Fantasy Grounds

AstaSyneri
June 13th, 2015, 11:30
Hello everybody!

I am sure you have experienced this: Old friends that you have RPGed with for years suddenly are in jobs far away (or simply busy), have a family, etc.

This happened to me, eventually turning mit to Fantasy Grounds.

I had a Spycraft (the d20 kind) group - a group that got a few of their enemy characters into the Spycraft card game, and coined the organization name for the back then Organized Play equivalent. Then the above happened and we met once a year for a weekend of beer, barbecue and bashing. Then even that stopped.

A few weeks ago we finally met up again for one of those barbecue RPG weekends and decided to move on via Fantasy Grounds. We converted the characters to Savage Worlds (my call - the FG ruleset for it is just so great and makings running it very easy and fast for the GM, enabling me to concentrate on story rather than mechanics).

The first online session had them assault a drug house (rather unpreparedly) - an encounter I quickly put together using on of Fabled Environment's great modern maps.

Things went great - the drug dealers were very surprised and didn't offer much resistance (especially after the groups quite deranged ex-Special Forces soldier used his underbarrel grenade launcher in the house ;-)) and thing looked well, until the boss, a wild card bearing a kevlar vest and an AK came down and joined the fray - resulting nearly in the first Player MDK in the game.

Pretty standard fare, but why I am I writing this here? Because in our game-related forum the players wrote what they thought of Fantasy Grounds, without being prompted by me (actually one player who couldn't join session 1 asked them). Here's what they had to say:

"I think this platform has a future. [..] The combination with Teamspeak works very well.[..]All in all my expectations have been exceeded. It's not the same as "Playing at the table", but as an online option it is the choice of the hour for me. I want more!"

"It was a blast!! Good and relaxed atmosphere, TS worked fine after getting used to it. Since we all know each other (including the voices) I had know problems following who was doing what.
Fantasy Grounds is excellent and with a little bit of practice the targeting and other technical details are going to work fine. The "battlemap" was super. Working with Fog of War made it even clearer. All in all a big 'Thumbs up'".

I absolutely agree with them. I love dearly that Fantasy Grounds gave me my favorite hobby back.

Mask_of_winter
June 13th, 2015, 11:56
*wipes off tears* great story...

damned
June 13th, 2015, 14:14
Good job AstaSyneri.

Xorn
June 17th, 2015, 17:20
Awesome! Now, have them open GoogleHangouts on a second screen and everyone get webcams. It's... breathtakingly awesome, and REALLY as close to sitting around the table together as it gets.

ddavison
June 17th, 2015, 19:18
Thanks for sharing. I'm happy to hear that you were able to gather the group again and regain some roleplaying enjoyment.