PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to take screenshots of FG action?

seycyrus
June 12th, 2015, 02:56
I'm in between Game sessions with my group and sort of want to prime the pump, if you will, through email for the next session.

So, I opened up my map from last session, move the tokens around a bit, placed some baddies, and then used the sniping tool to take a screenshot. Result = pretty terrible resolution.

Is there a better way to do this? Don't want to have to open up the map in CC3+ import the tokens onto the map, export the image as a jpg etc. Everything is already there in FG ...

Trenloe
June 12th, 2015, 03:08
Press the print screen (PrtScn) key on your keyboard to take a complete screenshot of the whole of FG. However, using snipping tool is a similar approach - you're taking the screenshot at the resolution of the screen. You may be able to resize/zoom the map to make it look bigger and then use the snipping tool.

However, if it looks good on the screen it should look good when you snip it and email it. Unless you're saving with a high level of compression (low quality) from the snipping tool?

HoloGnome
June 12th, 2015, 03:14
If you just want the FG window and not the rest of the (Windows) desktop (when not in full-screen mode, of course), use ALT+PrntScr.

LordEntrails
June 12th, 2015, 03:21
If you want a more friendly tool, I'd recommend Gadwin Print Screen. Its freeware and has some really nice features, including a good snipping tool and being able to capture in PNG and other formats.

Note, as others mentioned, if your doing a screen grab, the best you will get is the resolution of your screen.

seycyrus
June 12th, 2015, 03:59
However, if it looks good on the screen it should look good when you snip it and email it. Unless you're saving with a high level of compression (low quality) from the snipping tool?

I don't see any option for compression.

All I know is that on my FG screen, the tokens look pretty sharp. But on the screenshot, they look sorta like 8-bit images from the 80s.

Trenloe
June 12th, 2015, 04:00
If you just want the FG window and not the rest of the (Windows) desktop (when not in full-screen mode, of course), use ALT+PrntScr.
Oressing prtscn actually auto creates a .png file in the <FG App Data> folder - keep pressing prtscn and it will create a new file, make as many as you want.

damned
June 12th, 2015, 04:04
if you press the [PRT SCR] button it will drop a PNG in the Fantasy Grounds Data directory... try it...
Unfortunately PNG makes a much larger file than JPG for emailing but for ease of use...
Also if you are in game and you want to capture a moment just hit [PRT SCR] and it will be there waiting for you when you need it and you dont have to worry about saving it somewhere before you grab the next shot.

'ware the Ninja!

Zeus
June 13th, 2015, 17:02
For Windows platforms - I find the bundled Snipping Tool to be perfectly functional.
For Mac platform - I find the bunlded screen capturing functionality in OS X is functional (Shift-Cmd-4 to select rectangle)

Moving forward for the Unity build, we will be looking to embed screenshot capture capability directly into the client.

demonsbane
June 14th, 2015, 01:24
The PNG file you take with just the [PRT SCR] button can be dramatically reduced in size by a Windows user by opening and editing it in Paint.exe: save as JPEG and you are done, the file is ready for emailing.

TheSwartz
June 15th, 2015, 02:24
If you're using Steam, it's F12 -- also, in Steam, when you close your game, you get an interface which allows you to upload your pics to Steam or post on Facebook. I 'think'... there's an option to change which format to save in (jpg, bmp, etc.)

Also, if you happen to have Fraps, you can bind a key for Fraps to take screenshots. Fraps lets you change which format to save your pics too.