PDA

View Full Version : Dice Totals Would Be Nice :)

Elric
December 13th, 2004, 12:27
Is it just me or when you roll either multiple dice or include modifers, you only see number1 + number2 - and the system doesn't show you a total along with the individual rolls?

I was playing around last night and rolled 10d6 and the other 9 dice vanished before I had a chance to count them up. Sometimes I would like to roll away from chat (checking for Wandering Monster Encounters etc.) so having the total show up would be a great help to me - maybe a balloon that displays for 5 seconds or so before vanishing. :D

Ged
December 13th, 2004, 12:59
Is it just me or when you roll either multiple dice or include modifers, you only see number1 + number2 - and the system doesn't show you a total along with the individual rolls?

With the patch v1.02 you don't have to drag the dice result to see the total, but the dice result "bubble" now includes some simple math operations including adding-up of the result.

I was playing around last night and rolled 10d6 and the other 9 dice vanished before I had a chance to count them up. Sometimes I would like to roll away from chat (checking for Wandering Monster Encounters etc.) so having the total show up would be a great help to me - maybe a balloon that displays for 5 seconds or so before vanishing. :D

When you are the Gamemaster, your dice rolls show to the players only as shadows of the dice within the chat frame. Thus the players know you are rolling dice but do not see the values on the dice faces or any results (the result on the "bubble" is shown only to the GM). This is much like tossing dice behind a battlescreen, the players get a hint that something might be happening, but don't know what.

Elric
December 13th, 2004, 14:04
I don't see it - I've tried rolling Multiple Dice w-w/o Modifiers and all it shows is the Individual Dice rolled - even when I do it in the chat window. :?

Ged
December 13th, 2004, 14:28
I don't see it - I've tried rolling Multiple Dice w-w/o Modifiers and all it shows is the Individual Dice rolled - even when I do it in the chat window. :?

Sorry, I forgot to mention, the arithmetics can be done using the radial menu; and only in the chat window.

Elric
December 13th, 2004, 23:20
OK - I still must be missing something. Here's a simple 5d6 Roll I did in the chat Window:

https://www.otalisman.com/misc/fg-diceroll.gif

Where's the total? :D

I see the individual Dice Rolls - but no total. :?

sppeterson
December 14th, 2004, 00:30
I played around with it a bit. If you left click on the dice chat ballon, then drag and drop to any place in the chat window, you'll get the total.

Elric
December 14th, 2004, 00:33
Ah-Ha! :D

Is that total shown to the players when you drop it into the chat window?

msd
December 14th, 2004, 02:50
Ah-Ha! :D
Is that total shown to the players when you drop it into the chat window?

It is supposed to be. The question mark indicates that it is only visible to the GM at that point. When you left click on the numbers and drag onto the chat window, a total will appear (again, I believe visible to the players) in the chat window.

Also, the developers refer to the "radial menu" - that is access by a right click of the mouse. In other words, the doubling, halving, etc. feature will appear if you right click (to get the context menu) while hovering the mouse over the dice.