PDA

View Full Version : Summer Sale is officially launched. Everything from 10% - 30% off [NO LONGER RUNNING]

ddavison
June 11th, 2015, 19:27
You can pick up items here or on Steam. The sale prices should match and the sale runs until June 22nd.

Willem
June 11th, 2015, 20:25
Sweet going to pick up Hoard of the dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat ;)

JohnD
June 11th, 2015, 20:48
So, no PotA until the 23rd then.

On a positive, I have a friend (shocking I know) who is planning on taking the plunge... have already let him know about this.

GunnarGreybeard
June 11th, 2015, 20:59
Was planning to grab the core 5e modules after July 4th . . but this just pushed that date up considerably. :-)

crb31
June 11th, 2015, 21:03
Thanks for Posting this...

Nylanfs
June 11th, 2015, 22:09
Hey Doug, just a question does Valve alert you if it gets picked for one of the 1 day crazy discounts that way you can get the SW store changed for that day?

ddavison
June 11th, 2015, 22:11
Hey Doug, just a question does Valve alert you if it gets picked for one of the 1 day crazy discounts that way you can get the SW store changed for that day?

I don't know, since we've never been picked for it before. There are so many games on Steam that the chances are still pretty slim. We keep an eye on it though and if it does, they will be reflected here too -- even if Valve doesn't notify us.

FSHSchmo
June 11th, 2015, 23:26
I think I might have to finally purchase my Ultimate upgrade so I wont have to sub any more :D

Hastur
June 11th, 2015, 23:37
Great. Definitely going to buy some stuff. And just encouraged my players to buy their own licenses (I have the ultimate, but sometimes I want to be player)
By the way: Your shop gives me headache every time I went there. Don't want to whinge about the map and token packs, but are they supposed to be everywhere on the shop? If I choose "System: Call of Cthulhu" the first Call-of-Cthulhu-product is listed on page 5. No offence, but this may be not a perfect start for new customers. And if I am looking for 5th stuff, the flood of class packs may also be a distraction. The alphabetic order is a problem here. Again, no offence, I know, shops are not only problematic but expensive too. But this could be much more customer-friendly. Greetings :-)

Trenloe
June 11th, 2015, 23:51
By the way: Your shop gives me headache every time I went there. Don't want to whinge about the map and token packs, but are they supposed to be everywhere on the shop? If I choose "System: Call of Cthulhu" the first Call-of-Cthulhu-product is listed on page 5. No offence, but this may be not a perfect start for new customers.
The default display order is "By Release Date". If you select the Call of Cthulhu ruleset and leave the default "Product Type" to "any" you will see all of the products compatible with the Call of Cthulhu ruleset - which includes maps and token packs. A lot of these have had more recent releases than the CoC supplements so you see then first. Change the search type radio button "by Type then Title" and you'll get a better experience - don't just go with the defaults if you're not seeing what you want! :)

Mask_of_winter
June 11th, 2015, 23:57
One Weird War II and All for One pack for me thank you! :)

Brenn
June 12th, 2015, 00:12
Awesome! Just bought Complete Core, Complete Monster, HotDQ and RoT. Was planning on picking up the 5e stuff very soon anyway, but this made me pull the trigger.

Thegroo
June 12th, 2015, 01:18
Great.
Just got an ultimate licence, Complete Monster and Rot.
Now i have the full set.

LordEntrails
June 12th, 2015, 06:09
Do we think the 5E DMG is going to be released before the end of the sale? Or maybe soon after?

(I'm not panting, really, I'm not).

damned
June 12th, 2015, 14:45
Doug posted elsewhere - it still has some feature support being added and has to be proofed and then get Wizards approval... so... not during Sale window.

rtaylor1976
June 12th, 2015, 17:34
I am planning on buying the Ultimate package and use it for a 5E game. What 5E add ons are most useful? If someone could give me a suggested list in order of priority, that would help me put together an order in the next day or so :)

Thanks!

ddavison
June 12th, 2015, 17:38
I will leave it to the community to respond, but I would say that the adventures are pretty complete as far as the monsters included. LMOP also includes pre-gens and the basic rules, so you are covered for player stuff as well if money is tight.

Nylanfs
June 12th, 2015, 17:53
For the short term you just need the adventures, in the long term get the two core packs.

Also if you are a player just the full license is all you need.

rtaylor1976
June 12th, 2015, 18:12
I will leave it to the community to respond, but I would say that the adventures are pretty complete as far as the monsters included. LMOP also includes pre-gens and the basic rules, so you are covered for player stuff as well if money is tight.

What does LMOP? And is there any need for the Core Class or Monsters Manual?

Also, Steam offers a 4 pack - is that four pack just 4 of the 39.99 licenses so you can give some to other players for GM trading off purposes? How easy is it to transfer the GM role during an adventure?

Thanks for the help!

ddavison
June 12th, 2015, 18:21
Sorry, the LMOP is for the Lost Mine of Phandelver adventure. It's the starter set adventure for D&D fifth edition. You don't technically need the complete core packs to use it unless you want access to feats or the other classes outside of the basic set without entering your class information manually.

The 4-pack on Steam is exactly what you listed. 4x$39 standard license. Instead of ~ $160, it's now only $83.99 due to the sale and the original discount. Any of those licenses can choose to be the DM. They would only have access to additional 5E modules that they purchased though, when they DM a game. A DM can share library modules with connected players while the game is running, but they can't share from DM to DM.

Nylanfs
June 12th, 2015, 18:24
Note, if you already have a FG license you don't either can't buy it or you lose a license with that 4 pack, can't remember which off hand. Doug will correct me if wrong though. :)

ddavison
June 12th, 2015, 18:38
It took me a while to figure out what you were trying to say, but I think you are referring to how Steam lets you buy the 4-pack if you don't already own Fantasy Grounds, but doesn't let you buy an additional 4-pack once you own "any" version of Fantasy Grounds on Steam. I think that is just an issue with Steam, but is something that I haven't seen an ETA for a fix on it yet.

rtaylor1976
June 12th, 2015, 18:42
It took me a while to figure out what you were trying to say, but I think you are referring to how Steam lets you buy the 4-pack if you don't already own Fantasy Grounds, but doesn't let you buy an additional 4-pack once you own "any" version of Fantasy Grounds on Steam. I think that is just an issue with Steam, but is something that I haven't seen an ETA for a fix on it yet.

My plan is to buy the Ultimate version since I will be the primary DM. But some of my players may take the reins of DM if I end up unable to for a bit or want to play. If that happens, they will need a copy of FG that is GM capable. I assume this would be the most cost effective way to get a bunch of licenses for them :)

Trenloe
June 12th, 2015, 19:06
My plan is to buy the Ultimate version since I will be the primary DM. But some of my players may take the reins of DM if I end up unable to for a bit or want to play. If that happens, they will need a copy of FG that is GM capable. I assume this would be the most cost effective way to get a bunch of licenses for them :)
Note - if the GM has a full licence then everyone who is playing must have at last a full licence also. The bundle on Steam is the most cost effective way of getting multiple full licences and the sale at the moment makes it even better value.

Eberronknight
June 12th, 2015, 19:13
This sale got me to upgrade to Ultimate and grabbed the 5E Complete Core Class Pack. :)

vikingbrad
June 14th, 2015, 08:08
Finally bought my full license. As a subscriber before wasn't able to purchase FG on Steam as it says already purchased, so purchased via FG store. (thanks for help with that issue Doug)

Also got Complete Core Classes, Complete Core Monster Pack and Dragon modules.

Why aren't they just called Player's Manual & Monster Manual, thats the name used in the Libraries anyway?

damned
June 14th, 2015, 08:16
Good work vikingbrad!
You wanna run a 5e session at FGDaze? See here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24687-FGDaze-has-arrived!

I believe that this is probably a merketing decision by the Wizards. The Players Handbook is a Book and the Monster Manual is a Manual. FG Products dont really look and feel like books (not compared to the physical thing anyway) and they probably wanted to make sure that people didnt think that buying the Players Handbook on Fantasy Grounds would give them something they could pass around the table at a face to face group....
Thats my guess anyway!

GunnarGreybeard
June 14th, 2015, 09:09
Good work vikingbrad!
I believe that this is probably a merketing decision by the Wizards. The Players Handbook is a Book and the Monster Manual is a Manual. FG Products dont really look and feel like books (not compared to the physical thing anyway) and they probably wanted to make sure that people didnt think that buying the Players Handbook on Fantasy Grounds would give them something they could pass around the table at a face to face group....
Thats my guess anyway!
I'm still waiting for people on Reddit or Facebook to post they bought them because they thought they were .pdfs of the books. :cry:

leozelig
June 14th, 2015, 12:30
Just picked up Core Complete Classes and Monster Pack! Thanks for the sale, Doug!

ddavison
June 14th, 2015, 14:58
Yes on the names. They had to go through approval and were changed to reflect the name selected by Wizards of the Coast. The modules were already built at this point and we didn't want to break anything with a name change there.

rickbullard
June 14th, 2015, 17:24
First timer here. Noticed the sale and want to just purchase a straight up Ultimate License through Steam. I noticed that the only thing that was available was the Ultimate License UPGRADE not the straight Ultimate License. Is there anyway to get that or do I have to purchase the regular FG and THEN the Ultimate Upgrade? I'd really like to do the first thing. If I have to do the second it kinda defeats the purpose of the sale for me. Or maybe I just missed it on Steam?

EDIT: Never Mind. I figured out what I needed to do which was to purchase the license through the FG site and then enter the activation code in FG.
Sorry for wasting your time...

dberkompas
June 14th, 2015, 17:36
It probably upgrades the free demo to Ultimate?

LordEntrails
June 14th, 2015, 17:53
Not sure where, but this has been answered in the forums before. If I find it, I will post a link.

Nylanfs
June 14th, 2015, 21:09
Yes the way Steam works is you have to get a license and THEN the upgrade "DLC"

damned
June 14th, 2015, 23:04
to buy the Ultimate License at the cheapest price you should buy it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/ during the sale. it will save you a couple of $$ as you dont do the upgrade process.

rickbullard
June 14th, 2015, 23:20
to buy the Ultimate License at the cheapest price you should buy it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/ during the sale. it will save you a couple of $$ as you dont do the upgrade process.

I wound up doing exactly that but I'm on a mac so initally I entered the Ultimate License code in Steam where I'd downloaded the demo and it upgraded me there. But every time I tried to run it in steam it kept giving me messages saying that I had to change settings in my preferences to allow Steam to run. But the changes that it was requesting were already made but still the error messages.

So then I got the idea to download the installer and run it using Wine. Apparently there are more than a few hiccups with FG / Wine and Yosemite.

So then I bought CrossOver and was finally able to get it to work. But now I'm wondering if I purchase add-ons how am I going to get them to work? I want to eventually get the Mutants and Masterminds add on but I'm not sure if it's something that CrossOver is going to tackle or what.

And now I remember EXACTLY why I never purchased FG before even though It's a great program. And I had to go in deep and buy the Ultimate License because of the sale thinking that it would just work right on Steam. UGH.

damned
June 14th, 2015, 23:29
hey rickbullard sometime within about 6 weeks (i know thats very vague - they get updated approx every 6 weeks but I dont know when the last one was) the license keys bought here will get updated again over at Steam and it will appear in your Steam Licenses.
the Steam install on Macs usually just works - of course there are the odd glitch
the WINE process here also works but it is more involved - i used it recently with both a Mac and a ChromeOS user and it worked in both situations

perhaps if you post a screenshot of your settings - without your licenses key - we might spot the issue.

ddavison
June 15th, 2015, 00:11
No need to post settings screens here, since you would have to edit out the license keys and that is the most common issue to begin with -- them being in the wrong spot or not entered in properly. You can email a screenshot to [email protected] though and we can check it out for your. For mac users, yes, you can download and install like you did here following the instructions for setting up WINE. Alternately, you could have bought the standard license on Steam and then upgraded it to the Ultimate. It does cost a little more this way.

$27.99 Standard License on Sale
$80.49 Ultimate upgrade on either Steam or on this site
--------------
$108.48

Buying an FG Ultimate license on the FG Site outright
$104.30 due to the sale

For any of the DLC, if you are on Mac, it is best to order directly from here. If you order on Steam, you'll just need to send an email with your receipt and your FG forum username to [email protected] and then we can link them up. Once either of those two options are done, you follow these steps for most of our products (works for everything on Steam plus some that are not yet there):

1. Launch FG on your mac
2. Click Settings
3. Enter your forum username at the bottom of the screen where prompted
4. Click the update button next the username and enter your password
5. Make sure the Check Steam for DLC option is unchecked
6. Close the Settings screen and click Check for Updates

It will download and install all your purchases.

Juhlz
June 16th, 2015, 05:39
Another question about licensing, sorry

I currently do the 3.99 month to month and am planning on adding both 5e core packs. However, I am currently talking my friends into the 4 license pack on Steam which will bring down teh cost to about 21 a license. Should I wait for to get the core packs until after I get the 4 pack or can I get them now add them to my current license and then cancel teh month to month and implement the license I get from steam

Thanks
Juhlz

vikingbrad
June 16th, 2015, 05:59
Another question about licensing, sorry

I currently do the 3.99 month to month and am planning on adding both 5e core packs. However, I am currently talking my friends into the 4 license pack on Steam which will bring down teh cost to about 21 a license. Should I wait for to get the core packs until after I get the 4 pack or can I get them now add them to my current license and then cancel teh month to month and implement the license I get from steam

Wait for comment by Doug but you won't be able to buy 4-pack FG on same account that has already 'bought' Fantasy Grounds via subscription.

With regard to core packs you can buy on your subscription and then when you get full version just reactivate under full license.

Recommend emailing [email protected] for the quickest reply.

Trenloe
June 16th, 2015, 15:01
Any products you buy are linked to your account - either your username on the FG forums if purchased through the FG website, or your Steam ID if purchased as DLC through steam. They are not linked to a subscription licence key or anything like that.

So, you can buy the 5E packs at any time and they will always be available to you as long as you have a full or ultimate licence, subscription or not. You wouldn't be able to update the 5E library modules if you dropped to a free licence though.

My recommendation would be to buy what you want while it's on sale. You'll be able to get the 4 full licence pack from Steam as long as you haven't entered your FG licence key to "activate" FG on Steam. If this is the case, just ask one of your friends to purchase the pack and gift the licences out to who needs them. When (if) you cancel your subscription and your Steam Fantasy Grounds is invalidated (I don't know when this happens with subscriptions) you can enter your new licence key in Steam. Note: the licence key in Steam just registers the fact that you have the product, any validation of your licence key is always done through the base FG application, which is exactly the same for Steam and non Steam users.

An additional recommendation - unless you really, really want to purchase through Steam; I'd recommend you purchase content through the FG website. That is, additional content, not the base FG licences. The reason being is that this is all linked to your FG username and the updater just uses that to update your content. For Steam DLC you'll need to have the Steam client running and logged in for FG to connect to Steam to get DLC. If you're running on a Mac you'll definitely want to purchase DLC directly from the FG website as the Steam DLC currently doesn't work with a Mac. The main reason to buy from Steam are usually related to more favourable exchange rates for people outside of the US.

ddavison
June 16th, 2015, 15:15
That's a great summary Trenloe. The only thing I will add is that any sort of license change at all will require you to run a new Check for Updates, which will also need to rebuild the content.dat file that holds your encrypted copies of the D&D content packs - or any other encrypted packs.

dxmichelle
June 16th, 2015, 17:33
So, I just bought the ultimate license through FG, do I just wait for the code in the mail or how does it work?

Trenloe
June 16th, 2015, 17:46
So, I just bought the ultimate license through FG, do I just wait for the code in the mail or how does it work?
If it is a straight off purchase of the ultimate licence, or an upgrade, then go to the store and click the "Order History" link in the top right and click on your order. The licence key will be there for all purchases through the store (except subscriptions).

If you used PayPal and you don't usually use it there may be a short delay before PayPal release the funds. Info in the FAQ: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=license_and_purchasing_issues#faq_dela yed_orders

dxmichelle
June 16th, 2015, 18:23
Got it, thanks Trenloe

ddavison
June 16th, 2015, 19:01
The upgrade is now instant as well now. If you don't see it right away, then checking Order History is probably the fastest way to go. Subs don't show up there, but 1-time licenses will. Otherwise, please check your spam settings, since it seems to land there for people some times.

rickbullard
June 16th, 2015, 20:08
No need to post settings screens here, since you would have to edit out the license keys and that is the most common issue to begin with -- them being in the wrong spot or not entered in properly. You can email a screenshot to [email protected] though and we can check it out for your. For mac users, yes, you can download and install like you did here following the instructions for setting up WINE. Alternately, you could have bought the standard license on Steam and then upgraded it to the Ultimate. It does cost a little more this way.

$27.99 Standard License on Sale
$80.49 Ultimate upgrade on either Steam or on this site
--------------
$108.48

Buying an FG Ultimate license on the FG Site outright
$104.30 due to the sale

For any of the DLC, if you are on Mac, it is best to order directly from here. If you order on Steam, you'll just need to send an email with your receipt and your FG forum username to [email protected] and then we can link them up. Once either of those two options are done, you follow these steps for most of our products (works for everything on Steam plus some that are not yet there):

1. Launch FG on your mac
2. Click Settings
3. Enter your forum username at the bottom of the screen where prompted
4. Click the update button next the username and enter your password
5. Make sure the Check Steam for DLC option is unchecked
6. Close the Settings screen and click Check for Updates

It will download and install all your purchases.

Hey thanks for the reply. I've already purchased it from your site here and am running it via CrossOver which so far after a few hiccups seems to be running okay. I havent had anyone try to connect to me yet I'll test that at some point. I gotta say that I like FG quite a bit so far and it's giving me more leeway to setup my game how I want it as opposed to something like Roll20. My only point of consternation are using PDF Maps, which admittedly isnt really a FG issue but a source issue.

Once again though thanks for your assistance.

GunnarGreybeard
June 16th, 2015, 21:34
Now a member of the 5e Core Club. :) Can't wait to try these puppies out tomorrow night.

ddaley
July 1st, 2015, 16:07
How often do these sales happen? Maybe a 4th of July sale? :)

I picked up some things during the last sale, but thinking about buying ultimate for our DM, if there is another sale soon.

ddavison
July 1st, 2015, 16:15
Normally only once or twice a year. The Steam Summer Sale and the Black Friday/Steam Holiday Sale.

kylania
July 5th, 2015, 22:20
Wish I'd watched some of the videos before letting the sale expire! One thing that turned me off of FG initially has been fixed in recent updates so again I should have researched more (specifically spell casting NPCs). Now we just need to build in sound/music. :)

ddavison
July 6th, 2015, 01:09
Sound and music is something we want to put into the next major release. We are still quite a ways off from releasing that, though. We should hopefully have lots of great features once we get there though.

Kitsunuki
July 10th, 2015, 10:38
I picked up the Ultimate Edition and a bunch of addons. Still learning to work it. I'm learning by running a 5 man game. Either way, thanks for this awesome product!! Since I started college my friends and I thought we would never be able to play again. I'm glad we were wrong.

damned
July 10th, 2015, 14:59
Welcome Kitsunuki! Hope you guys continue to have a lot of fun.