PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Fantasy Grounds Usage - 5E Ruleset Edition

TASagent
June 9th, 2015, 16:25
So, you've got the basics down, played a game or two, and now want to know what's next. What else can Fantasy Grounds do?

I wanted to assemble a list of some of the features and controls that people may not know about, for easy reference. If you have any to add, let me know and I'll stick it in the list. I've tried to avoid adding anything that's too obvious. This isn't necessarily meant to be "Baby's First Fantasy Grounds", but I haven't necessarily stuck to that consistently. Mostly it's for tracking features that some people might not be aware of.

Text Editing

Control+ a number 1 through 6 can be used to change the formatting of the current paragraph, in data elements that support it (story, for instance).
Control+j will merge the current paragraph with the next one. If you just pasted a bunch of text full of newlines you want to get rid of, this is probably what you want.
By default, holding control while hovering the mouse over a number field will let you use the mousewheel to adjust the value. This modifier key can be adjusted in the options.

Options

Read through them. Seriously, just do it.

Images/Maps

Hold Control to see map pins when you're not in Pin mode.
Hold Control when dropping a link onto an image to leave it as a pin if you're not in Pin mode.
At least most data elements can be left as pins on a map or image, if not all.
Control + mouse click and drag to resize the windows from anywhere within it. This works on all windows, but is particularly helpful when opening large images.
When setting a grid for a map, middle mouse click and drag will let you draw test boxes, allowing you to easily test the sizes of different regions. Try encircling a 10x10 grid area and dividing the resulting gridsize by 10 to get the closest possible grid.
Don't forget you can nudge your grid with the buttons at the top. Sometimes you just can't get a perfect grid on a map (infuriating, I know). Just nudging the map as your players move through it will often get you close enough!
All players can draw arrows on the map in their color by pressing and holding both mouse buttons. Modify it with Shift, Control, or Alt for Squares, Circles, and Cones.
With tokens locked (from context menu) DM can approve requested movement by middle-mouse clicking on the token.
DM can create an NPC movement request by holding control when attempting to move a token. (Lets players see movement pattern; useful for Tomb of Horrors-esque trap-fests).

Sharing records

When you've shared a record with the players, a "P" will show up next to it in the proper menu (Images or Maps, for example). As a DM, clicking on that P will unshare it, and close it if they still have it open.
Right click on an image an choose "Sharing">"Preload Image" to force the players' computers to load, but not display, it. Once the spiderweb shows up in the upper right, the image is cached and can be displayed immediately by sharing it.
Virtually all records can be shared with the players (and between players) by dragging the link to the chatbox. A bit less obtrusive than forcing an item to pop up on their screens.
Dragging a record link (other than an Item; see Items) to a character portrait on the desktop will only share with that user. Good way to pass notes set up in advance, or share pictures of areas/creatures only that character sees.

Sorting Records

Many of the DM's records can be stored in multiple tabs. Right click on the tabs (there should always be at least one), and choose "Add New Group"
To apply a name to a tab, type it in the chat box, then drag it to the tab.
Drag the tabs to rearrange them.
Drag items onto tabs to move them to that tab.
Moving an item into a tab will not break existing links to that item.

Dice and Numbers

The modifier stack is neat. (It's the box right below chat that says "Modifier"). Don't forget you can use it. Drag numbers from virtually anywhere into it to add them to the next roll.
Modifiers (and their labels) can be applied to the Modifier stack from the hotbar at the bottom of the screen. The Hotbar items correspond to the F1-F12 keys, and you have a separate bar for each combination of Control, Shift, and Alt you can hold.
Middle mouse click the modifier stack to clear it.
Hold control when dragging a Number to Negate it.

Supposed to subtract 1d4 from your next attack? You can roll the 1d4, then drag the result, hold control, and drop it onto the modifier stack. Now roll your attack.
Strange curse makes a character's melee attacks heal? Roll his damage without a target, then Control-drag the result onto a character. Voila! Healed.

Some rolls have special significance, and dragging the result gives you a special icon rather than a number. To extract the number, drop it back in chat.

Trying to handle Wraith energy drain? Roll his damage without a target. Then drop it back in chat. Now you can grab the number, and control-drop it where ever you want to keep track of it. (I would use Tmp HP slot, but there are other options).

Traits

Many features and traits are simple enough to create custom effects to handle automatically. Make sure you go through each after making a character or leveling up to see that you gain their benefits.

Dwarf? Give him a permanent Dwarven Resilience ability "Dwarven Resilience; RESIST: poison".
Barbarian with Feral Instinct? Give him the effect "Feral Instinct; ADVINIT".
Make sure to reapply the permanent effect any time the PCs are removed from the Combat Tracker. If you're using it appropriately, that shouldn't happen often.

Class abilities are a larger source of temporary abilities. If the duration is Rounds or Minutes, they'll expire automatically:

Barbarian Reckless Attack? Give him the effect: "Reckless Attack; GRANTADVATK; ADVATK; [SELF]"
Barbarian Rage? Use the effect: "Rage; ADVCHK: strength; ADVSAV: strength; DMG: 2, melee; RESIST:bludgeoning, slashing, piercing; [SELF]"

Check here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects) for more information about effects, and if you're stuck, the forums are also a great place to get more help.
Effect Descriptions are typically easier to read than write, but don't be discouraged.
Often people will start the effect off with a name. The description just ignores text it doesn't understand. The names don't do anything other than offer information.

Targeting and the Combat Tracker

If you're not using an Encounter record, make sure you add NPCs to the Combat Tracker, and then add them to your map from the Combat Tracker. If you do it from anywhere else, Fantasy Grounds won't know which token on the map corresponds to each creature in the Combat Tracker, and won't be able to automatically handle attack rolls and damage.
You can target creatures in the Combat Tracker directly by holding control and clicking on their portrait.
The DM can assign targets to the current NPC/PC by holding control and clicking on portaits in the Combat Tracker.
Mouse over the portrait of a creature in the Combat tracker and use your mousewheel to adjust their size on the map.
Don't overlook the menu button at the bottom of the Combat Tracker - There you'll find options to give the whole party a rest, or delete all enemies from the Combat Tracker, and the map (if they were added properly).
GM: Double clicking on or drag-rolling from an attribute in the expandable Attribute section of the combat tracker will perform a check using the chosen attribute (Strength check, for instance). Holding shift when doing so will perform a saving throw using the chosen attribute (like a Dexterity Saving Throw).

TASagent
June 9th, 2015, 16:26
Advanced Effects

Effects can be tricky, and there are ways of further customizing how they trigger.
Effect Targets can be specified that will conditionally trigger effects. The can be filled in by players holding Shift and dragging the Effect onto the intended Effect Target. DMs can fill in Effect Targets by using the Effect Target button in the expanded Effects description panel of the Combat Tracker. DMs can clear Effect Targets by just clicking on the names in the summary.

To create an effect that gives you bonus damage against a particular foe, Create an effect that targets yourself and gives you the bonus damage. Applied normally, this bonus damage would apply to all of your attacks, but if you Shift-Drag the effect and drop it on an opponent (in the combat tracker or on the map), it will mark him as the Effect Target, and the effect will only trigger when abilities are used against him.
To create an effect that reduces a target's AC against your attacks, create an effect that applies to your targets and has the AC reduction. Applied normally, this would just generally reduce his AC for all incoming attacks, but if you Shift-Drag the effect and drop it on yourself (in the combat tracker or on the map), it will mark you as the Effect Target, and the effect will only trigger when your abilities are used against him.

Combat

Critical damage is queued up automatically when you crit, but to roll critical damage manually, hold shift when rolling the damage.
Hold shift when rolling an attack to mark it an opportunity attack (and thus apply conditional modifiers you may have related to opportunity attacks)
Hold Alt when rolling d20s to annoy everyone
Toggling the target crosshair above the modifier stack will change whether your ability will be directed against your current target. If you don't want damage to be applied automatically for a particular roll, click the crosshair to turn that off. If you want to turn it off in general, you should probably investigate the options.
If you are confused why your abilities don't seem to tell you whether or not you hit your target, first make sure the target crosshair button is turned on, then make sure the DM added the creatures from the Combat Tracker, and finally investigate the current options.

Items

When Defining your own items, the "Weapon" and "Armor" item types are special, and will open up more fields for defining these.
Add "magic" to the damage type of magic weapons for appropriate resistance penetration
Drop items on PC's portraits in the upper left to pass it directly to them.
Parcels, like Encounters, are awesome. Drag and drop a parcel into the Party Window to let PCs divvy up the loot.
Players can drag items back into the Party Loot menu, allowing the DM to then convert the items to Cash via his handy "Sell Items" button. Don't forget to set the proper Sell Percentage first.

It is now easier than ever to force players to leave a dungeon before liquidating their non-coin assets. Have them divvy up and carry treasure items, and then return to the party menu items they wish to sell when given the opportunity. Encumbrance can be an actually interesting and fun mechanic when it doesn't require manually updating a paper spreadsheet.

Items in the Party menu with an assignment entered are not liquidated with the "Sell Items" button. DMs can use this to liquidate subsets of the items at different sell percentages. Just set the assignment text to "don't sell" or "asdf" or "Cthulhu Fhtagn" on the items you don't want to sell, leaving the items you intend to sell blank. Then set the percentage and hit Sell Items. Repeat as necessary.

Creating and Updating Characters

If you set your race and ability scores before adding your class, you won't have to manually change your hit points to account for your constitution modifier. Which reminds me:
You have to manually change your hit points to account for changes in your constitution modifier.
Fantasy Grounds can't (yet) warn you about overlapping skill proficiencies from your background, race, and class combinations. When you've finished creating your character, check to make sure you have the appropriate proficiencies granted by your class, your race, and your background. Remember that in the case of overlap, you're allowed to choose a different skill proficiency to replace it (PHB 125).
Don't forget to grab your equipment from both your class and your background.
In general, it's a good idea to go over each Trait and Feature on the sheet to make sure the appropriate changes are made. A number of things are automated, but not everything is, so it pays to check. Unless what you overlooked is a penalty, in which case you get punished for checking, but you're doing the right thing.
Don't forget you can cycle through the three different modes on the Actions pane.
A lot of different ability-use schemes can be set up with abilities:

Spells use spell slots already (obvious)
Power-point-like abilities (like Ki Points or Superiority Dice) can be set up as powers. On the actions pane, click the Edit List button and add a power. Make sure the Display option (at the bottom) is set to Group and enter something descriptive like "Ki Powers" into the group box. Add each of your Ki abilities to that new group. Click the Magnifying glass next to the Ki Powers header and make sure the Group Type is set to "Abilities". Set the uses to the number of points you have, and the recharge to Rest, or Daily, based on the type (Rest for Ki).
Abilities with their own limits on use can be set up as well. Put them in a category that doesn't have an explicit group limit (unlike the Ki Powers above), and set the appropriate limits in Preparation mode.
Wands can be set up like the abilities above. Set the refresh to "Once" and set the number prepared in the Preparation window to be equal to the max number of charges. Then, when appropriate, adjust the number of charges. You can drag multiple copies of the same spell into your character sheet (you might want to do this if you're a Wizard who can cast Magic Missile, but also has a Wand of Magic Missile).

To check multiple boxes next to a power without spamming the chat, hold control (or whatever your edit key is) and use the mousewheel over the checkboxes.

GM Tips

You can open up a second instance of Fantasy Grounds and connect to your own games. This is invaluable for understanding the player's perspective.
If you installed Fantasy Grounds through Steam, you can launch a second instance by going to the steam folder, and then navigating to "steamapps\common\Fantasy Grounds", and then open the FGSteamLauncher. (Steam won't let you launch a second instance from its library interface)
To connect to your own game, enter "localhost" as the IP address. Alternatively, both "127.0.0.1" and your local ip address also work, but why are you making things more difficult than they need to be?

Extensions

Extensions, Modules, and Rulesets are added to the Fantasy Grounds folder. This can be accessed from any of the numerous Folder buttons you'll find at the top of some UI elements, such as the Images screen, or the Launcher.
To have a look at the contents of an Extension, Module, or Ruleset, simply rename it to a *.zip file and extract it.
If you make changes, zip it back up (make sure that when you open the zip you see the files, not a whole directory. Just compare it to the original) and throw it back where you grabbed it originally.
You can find the Fantasy Grounds data directory by clicking on the folder button in the upper right corner of the launcher. In-game, the "Folder" button on the image menu, and the "GM" and "Shared" buttons on the Tokens menu will all lead to subfolders in the data directory, if you need to find it in a pinch.
For many people, it is worth the convenience to add a shortcut to the data directory in your Windows Explorer Favorites bar, or the equivalent for other operating systems, when present. For the Windows environment, just drag the folder to the Favorites group (in the navigation pane, found by default on the left side of the explorer in Windows 7 and 8). Drop it anywhere you see a solid black line (indicating where it will go). Then you can rename the new link without affecting the actual folder.

TASagent
June 9th, 2015, 16:26
Placeholder Post - For future expansion.

Drakewing
June 9th, 2015, 17:23
Copy...Paste...Print.. I love my reference material :) Thank you so much!!

Moon Wizard
June 9th, 2015, 17:53
One more for you.

Dragging a record link to a character portrait on the desktop will only share with that user. Good way to pass notes set up in advance, or share pictures of areas/creatures only that character sees.

Cheers,
JPG

TASagent
June 9th, 2015, 18:25
Thanks Moon Wizard; added.

LordEntrails
June 9th, 2015, 20:17
Sticky this please. I know I'll be coming back to this!
+!

TASagent
June 9th, 2015, 20:25
Thanks, guys. I left plenty of room for expansion. If you think of something new that belongs there, or a better way of saying something that is there, don't hesitate to let me know. If something on the list isn't clear, or it's not clear why something on the list is desirable (aka not well motivated), just say so and I'll tweak it.

Zacchaeus
June 9th, 2015, 22:30
Wow, I was semi-joking really, but this is excellent work!

Thegroo
June 9th, 2015, 22:31
Thank you very much.

TASagent
June 9th, 2015, 22:43
Added two items regarding locked tokens. (Middle mouse click to approve, and hold control to create NPC movement requests.)

ShadoWWW
June 10th, 2015, 12:08
This is great! Thank you very much.

Dazzar
June 17th, 2015, 14:48
Thank you, this will help me a lot I am running my first module this week, regards.

crb31
June 17th, 2015, 14:50
Thanks for doing this. I haven't had my first session and this made me aware of a few 'tricks'.

TASagent
June 17th, 2015, 14:54
Excellent. It's good to hear that some of this is helpful for people.

If you come across anything you think should be on here, feel free to post about it and I'll add it.

Trenloe
June 17th, 2015, 14:57
Hhhmmmm, I could have sworn I'd replied to this.

Very good list of hints/tips.

Please add some info about connecting a second instance on the same computer and "join game" with localhost - this is an invaluable aid to GMs in understanding what players see, when things update, etc..

TASagent
June 17th, 2015, 14:58
Thanks, Trenloe. Good suggestion, adding.

TASagent
June 18th, 2015, 14:59
Added "Creating and Updating Characters" section just now, and "GM Tips" section yesterday.

dj-wedge
June 18th, 2015, 18:42
Not necessarily FG specific, but a trick for finding the Fantasy Grounds data folder:
Click Start button (or the equivalent) and type in the search box %appdata% (yes, put both % symbols there) and press enter.
Windows Explorer will open - Scroll down to the Fantasy Grounds folder.

Alternatively you can make a shortcut to "%appdata%\Fantasy Grounds" on your desktop or for your task bar.

Even better - after creating the shortcut, drag it to the Favorites section of your Windows Explorer window (left column at the top). In many Save As dialogs you will be able to use this shortcut to go straight to the folder you need (Handy when downloading images or tokens).

I just wish Par5e was aware of environment variables so I could use that for the module directory path and the data folder (I use multiple computers). Maybe I'll go add that to a Par5e thread somewhere.

Trenloe
June 18th, 2015, 18:53
Not necessarily FG specific, but a trick for finding the Fantasy Grounds data folder:
Click Start button (or the equivalent) and type in the search box %appdata% (yes, put both % symbols there) and press enter.
Windows Explorer will open - Scroll down to the Fantasy Grounds folder.
Good info.

As an FYI - if you change your default FG app data directory this might take you to an old/invalid directory. The way to be sure you're in the right directory is to open FG and press the "open data folder" icon in the top right hand corner of the FG launch screen.

Even better - after creating the shortcut, drag it to the Favorites section of your Windows Explorer window (left column at the top). In many Save As dialogs you will be able to use this shortcut to go straight to the folder you need (Handy when downloading images or tokens).
Very good tip. Use this after you've identified your current, valid FG data directory.

TASagent
June 18th, 2015, 19:12
Expanded the Extensions section with general notes about the data directory and the Windows favorites list. I actually have it bookmarked there, myself. No need to add it to the favorites list from a bookmark, though. Just dragging the folder itself will work. I would never make use of a direct shortcut to the folder. I always just middle mouse-click the explorer icon on the taskbar to open a new instance. I mention it only because some people might not be aware that many applications support that feature.

merlinpaladin
June 18th, 2015, 21:52
Using the local host from the same computer. Does this not risk corrupting the data files?

TASagent
June 18th, 2015, 22:02
I believe it's safe, and have never had a problem with it, myself. You definitely risk corruption if you try to host the same campaign in two instances at the same time, but my tests with connecting to my own campaign have been without issue. Someone who has been using FG longer can probably comment with more authority, but it seems to be a common practice.

Callum
June 18th, 2015, 22:10
There's definitely no problem with connecting using local host from the same computer. Just don't connect more than one other instance this way.

Callum
June 18th, 2015, 22:13
Most of the excellent tips in this thread aren't specific to 5E - can we get it (or a copy) moved to The Tavern?

TASagent
June 18th, 2015, 22:35
Yeah, having limited experience with the other rulesets, I was hesitant to try to generalize the information, and didn't want to leave out 5e-specific stuff in the process. I know different subsets apply to other CoreRPG rulesets, like some of the specific effects stuff and 4e. If someone wants to copy this over there and cull some of the ruleset-specific items (or move them to appropriate subheaders), I encourage it. Or if the mods want to move this thread, I can try to do some of the rearranging myself.

TASagent
June 19th, 2015, 14:34
Added this to Combat Tracker section (the second part is particularly noteworthy):

GM: Double clicking on or drag-rolling from an attribute in the expandable Attribute section of the combat tracker will perform a check using the chosen attribute (Strength check, for instance). Holding shift when doing so will perform a saving throw using the chosen attribute (like a Dexterity Saving Throw).

Bob_C
June 21st, 2015, 15:00
Great info TASagent, thanks.

What's the best way to handle Bardic Inspiration as an effect? It could last up to 10 minutes, and can be used when needed, not necessarily on the next roll. I don't see any obvious way to apply an effect that is discretionary about which roll it is applied to.

What about the hunter ability "Colossus Slayer"? Any way to implement that to detect if the target is below max HP (Wounds > 0), and if so, apply the +1d8 damage?

viresanimi
June 21st, 2015, 15:06
The way I handle Colossus slayer is to have the player have a weapon entry with the additional damage added to the weapon damage and just use that entry when doing damage to an opponent that has any damage at all. I don't think there is an automated way, but I might be wrong.

Vires Animi

Zacchaeus
June 21st, 2015, 15:56
What's the best way to handle Bardic Inspiration as an effect? It could last up to 10 minutes, and can be used when needed, not necessarily on the next roll. I don't see any obvious way to apply an effect that is discretionary about which roll it is applied to.

There isn't a way to automate this precisely. You can set up two effects one of which is just a dummy one which will remind the player that Bardic Inspiration has been cast on them; this would be set to expire in 10 minutes. The second one would be the one that has the actual effect i.e. rolling the additional die and would need to be applied just before the character makes the roll.

Another way might be to set up a MODifier and drag it into the the toolbar and just click on it before it is needed. (See how I stole this idea from another post :) ) You'd still want the first 'dummy' effect on the player with a countdown timer so that you can determine when the effect runs out.

Griogre
June 21st, 2015, 19:49
We use the drop a text reminder and when the PC actually uses it the Bard drops an actually effect.

TASagent
June 22nd, 2015, 16:26
Yeah, I'd follow the recommendations above, and use an effect to keep track of bonuses the players can sit on and expend at will. As for applying the bonus:

If the player can add a 1d6 to a roll, and must decide to do so before the roll, you can have him roll the 1d6, drag the result into the Modifier box, and then roll his actual attack. It's reasonably fast when someone gets comfortable with it.
If the player can add the 1d6 to the roll after the roll is made (like with Bardic Inspiration), then I think the player just has to roll a 1d6 and the DM must manually adjudicate, though I can't even really imagine a particularly effective UX for automating that functionality if someone tried.

If the 1d6 had to be added before the roll, there would be more options for using effects, like having each player add an expending +1d6 modifier effect with 0 uses available to their sheets, and increase the number of uses available when the ability is used on them, but that's not the case here, unfortunately.

As for the Wounded option, I don't see any simple way of doing that. Bloodied works, but that's not sufficient here. It shouldn't be too hard to add that as a keyword ( like "IFT: Wounded"), so trying to request it doesn't seem unreasonable.

Bob_C
June 23rd, 2015, 15:20
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

That's pretty much what I've been doing with Bardic Inspiration -- just adding a generic effect (with duration 10 minutes) to the receiving character to remind them that they have it available to use, and then manually rolling the 1d6 when they decide to apply the bonus. Was just wondering if there was anything better that I was missing.

And thanks for the suggestion on Colossus Slayer. I guess it's either make an alternate weapon entry including the bonus damage, or just manually roll and add the +1d8 when needed.

GuardianLurker
June 29th, 2015, 01:04
This just came up over in [Core], but I thought I'd share it with you all:
Q: How do you sell items in the same parcel at different percentages?

A:
Actually, we stumbled on a good solution for this. If you set an 'Assignment' for the items you do not want to sell right away to.. whatever 'save' or 'do not sell' or ... it doesn't really matter... it won't sell those items when you click the sell button. Then you can clear the assignments and sell the remaining items at a different %.

TASagent
June 29th, 2015, 14:45
Thanks GuardianLurker. I've added this to the item hints. In imagining why people might need to do this more than once or twice a trip, the amusing images of a group trying to replicate a 4X game like Freelancer in a Tabletop RPG came to mind. Players asking the DM to share a table of the trade good buy & sell values in each town. "Hey guys, leather goods sell for 210% here. You think we can make it to the next town bareback?"

Mirth-iness aside, definitely convenient for more nuanced liquidation.

Zacchaeus
June 29th, 2015, 16:22
From another post, someone suggested that you can use the inventory to have things carried in something like a wagon or a bag of holding or similar. Instead of assigning an item to a player assign to neutral item. In this way things won't accidentally get into a player's inventory that they don't want or is marked for sale. As above they can then have the assignation removed to enable sales at a different price.

TASagent
June 30th, 2015, 14:40
Hey, Zacchaeus.

I'm not a particularly big fan of that approach. It clutters up the Party Inventory screen, doesn't calculate the weight for you, adding another copy of an item already in storage will just increment the number in storage, and it doesn't give you a clear image of how many are stored where if you use more than one other location. It might work if there is just one non-PC storage location and only a couple items stored there, of a type that they won't be looting, but otherwise it seems like it might create more hassle than it solves problems.

But I admit there aren't considerably better alternatives out there. What I would typically do is what you alluded to: have a extra PC represent the inventory of the location. If your style of game allows for it, turn on the option that lets players view the Party Inventory (this solves most of the issues relating to all players not being able to open the mule's character sheet). When necessary, the control can be swapped around, but the controlling PC and the DM can act as gophers.

In the end, it feels a bit too hack-y to include, but if people think it should be in there (or if you think I included something that I maybe shouldn't have), let me know.

Zacchaeus
June 30th, 2015, 21:46
Hey, Zacchaeus.

I'm not a particularly big fan of that approach.
In the end, it feels a bit too hack-y to include, but if people think it should be in there (or if you think I included something that I maybe shouldn't have), let me know.

No, no. I wasn't suggesting that the party inventory should be cluttered up with assorted bags of holding and wagons etc. I just thought that as a temporary means of separating stuff which was to be sold at different prices you could allocate items accordingly (and temporarily). In other words they'd be completely dummy entries.

I agree that having things stored in the Parcel Items part of the inventory should be discouraged. I tend to only leave things in there that have not been identified and the players don't have the time to identify them right away. Also turning on the option for players to view all players inventories would be essential if there is to be a mule or wagon or whatever.

dj-wedge
July 2nd, 2015, 19:11
We just made a Vault character (complete with chest token as the portrait). But I also like knowing that trick about the "save" assignment. Good stuff!

Wazoodust
August 20th, 2015, 06:26
OK, Question/suggestion.
Is there a list of the commands needed such as the ADVINIT, ADVSAVE, RESIST and a breif description or example of what they do?
I've been keeping my eye out for something like this if it'e out there I've yet to stumble across it

damned
August 20th, 2015, 09:43
OK, Question/suggestion.
Is there a list of the commands needed such as the ADVINIT, ADVSAVE, RESIST and a breif description or example of what they do?
I've been keeping my eye out for something like this if it'e out there I've yet to stumble across it

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

TASagent
August 20th, 2015, 12:17
Yeah, there is already a link to the wiki page on effects in the Traits section. That should have up-to-date information about using effects and the keywords that work.

Edit: doh, looks like damned beat me to it.

Trenloe
August 20th, 2015, 16:27
And if you click the ? button on the top right of the campaign effects window within FG it will take you straight to the Wiki page damned linked above.

Wazoodust
August 20th, 2015, 19:47
Thank You, I think I looked there before but missed it of forgot

El Condoro
September 24th, 2015, 11:50
This is a great list, TASagent. Thanks.

One for Character creation: If you drag and drop a class from a parsed library onto the character sheet, it will update all the character stats for the new level. e.g. dragging and dropping the cleric record onto a Cleric 1 sheet will add Channel Divinity, Divine Domain feature, update the hit points and change the spell slots to 3 (from 2). Dragging and dropping Fighter onto a Fighter 4 will add Extra Attack and update the fighter's hit points. Etc etc. This works for MC, too.

PS: Sorry if this is already in your list - I looked but couldn't see it.

whiteTiki
October 15th, 2015, 17:44
Targeting and the Combat Tracker

Mouse over the portrait of a creature in the Combat tracker and use your mousewheel to adjust their size on the map.

I think it's Control + Mousewheel to adjust size. I you do what your're proposing it will rotate the token so everyone knows which direction he's facing.

TASagent
October 15th, 2015, 17:45
whiteTiki, what you're describing is what happens if you mouse over the token on the battlefield. What you quoted describes mousing over the token in the Combat Tracker.

whiteTiki
October 15th, 2015, 17:57
You're so right.

BTW what does "sensitive visibility" does exactly?

and, is there a way so that automatically after each round all targets are cleared? Or a quick shortcut for players or DMs to remove all the current targets? (As far as I know, you can do it from the combat tracker and remove targets from each of the tokens there, you can also do it from the map at the top left corner as a DM and you can do it by Control+Left mouse on each of your targets to cancel them)

But my problem with this is: suppose I'm a player and I target 3 enemies (because of Area of Effect) in my turn and attack them, hit them and everything. Now, after my turn, the targets are still "Targeted" so in my next turn I want to heal someone in my party but I don't remember which enemies I targeted before..... So, is there a way to quickly, as a player (not DM) cancel all my previous targets and then just Control+Left Mouse on the party member I want to heal?

Thanks for previous quick response.

Moon Wizard
October 15th, 2015, 18:26
Mask sensitive visibility option for tokens is the default "visible" state for NPC tokens. This hides tokens which are inside the mask (i.e. fog of war) and makes them visible when not. Tokens that are hidden are shown as semi-transparent on the GM screen.

The players have the same fast target select options at the top of the image/map window. (select all allies, select all enemies, clear targets)

Regards,
JPG

whiteTiki
October 15th, 2015, 18:32
Thanks Moon Wizard, are there any shortcuts for that? (Keyboard or mouse thingys like the ones in the beginning of this thread)

Moon Wizard
October 15th, 2015, 18:41
No. Those are only available via the radial menu, which is why the quick toggles were added to the combat tracker for tokens linked there.

Regards,
JPG

whiteTiki
October 15th, 2015, 19:21
10-4

:)

tadkil
October 19th, 2015, 04:39
Stunningly helpful for this newbie.

i3ullseye
February 9th, 2016, 18:35
Awesome stuff! One thing that I seem to use more than I thought I would..... those shortcuts at the bottom of the screen. I didn't quite know what they were at first, or how useful they could be. Very useful for character creation.... setting up rolls of multiple D6 and such.... Any commonly used roll you might use, items you might open, etc. Sure, you can learn keyboard shortcuts for a lot of things, but if you know how to type it out into chat, then you can load it up here and have a nice reference bar to recall them with.

Stupid
January 23rd, 2017, 23:56
sorry for necro but this is Forum Gold. Any newer threads or advanced tips out there since this was compiled?

edit: quick edit to assure everyone that I have checked the stickies (thats where I found this!) and google'd my butt off -- tips at this level are hard to come by so I figured I'd ask.

Zacchaeus
January 24th, 2017, 00:49
Hi Stupid, welcome to FG and to the community. You'll find most of the stuff related to 5e in the stickies at the top of this thread as well as links to general use age and tutorials. There are stickies at the top of most of the other ruleset threads which do the same job. The Wiki is a good source of information as is the FG user guide a link for which is in one of the stickies. There's also the tutorial module for 5e, also stickied above and Doug's tutorial video about the new features in the recent release.

LordEntrails
January 3rd, 2018, 22:48
Moon mentioned a way to make/simulate opposed rolls. I thought it was good enough that the method shouldn't be lost. So here's the link; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36164-Problem-Adding-Actions-Powers-with-New-Version&p=370300&viewfull=1#post370300

Henrique Oliveira Machado
April 19th, 2018, 01:33
Hello guys, i was trying to create a barbarian rage, but everything seems to be working except "ADVCHK: strenght; ADVSAVE: strenght". Did something changed on this time, or am i making something wrong?

i created a power with an effect using the exact same Typing as above.

It is "Rage; ADVCHK:strenght; ADVSAV:strenght; DMG: 2,melee; RESIST: bludgeoning,piercing,slashing"
And then when i put 1 minute with the range of self it automatically adds ";[SELF] on the front of the text. i am guessing this is normal, since it works when i see it on the CT.

damned
April 19th, 2018, 01:35
check spelling....

April 19th, 2018, 01:51
check spelling....

CTRL+V directly from FG:

Rage;ADVCHK:strenght;ADVSAV:strenght;DMG:2,melee;R ESIST:bludgeoning,piercing,slashing

April 19th, 2018, 02:00
Don't know why this space appears after the R in resist, but as you can see there is no space on FGs.

Stormhound
April 19th, 2018, 02:01
Try "strength", not "strenght", see if that works better. :)

April 19th, 2018, 02:06
CTRL+V directly from FG:

Rage;ADVCHK:strenght;ADVSAV:strenght;DMG:2,melee;R ESIST:bludgeoning,piercing,slashing

Oh, i realised i wrote Strength wrong, and probably been doing this all my life. LOL =(

PS: i am not a native english speaker. sorry for your trouble. =(

Stormhound
April 19th, 2018, 02:08
No worries. damned was trying to be all tactful about it. English spelling drives us bonkers sometimes too. :)

April 19th, 2018, 02:11
No worries. damned was trying to be all tactful about it. English spelling drives us bonkers sometimes too. :)

I was getting crazy already. Was checking spelling for everything but that. i was sure i was writing it right. LMAO.

Stormhound
April 19th, 2018, 02:13
I hear you. I used to be a programmer...finding typos in code you wrote that you know damned well is correct is an amazingly agonizing experience.

El Condoro
April 19th, 2018, 08:21
Someone made a boo-boo.

strength not strenght

Fishypeanuts
July 2nd, 2019, 17:35
Thanks Zacchaeus, is there an example of this with a screenshot or XML? I am going to try and translate it to Pathfinder rules.

Would really appreciate any assistance. We have been stuck on this for hours.

Trenloe
July 2nd, 2019, 17:39
Thanks Zacchaeus, is there an example of this with a screenshot or XML? I am going to try and translate it to Pathfinder rules.

Would really appreciate any assistance. We have been stuck on this for hours.
Which post are you referring to? Please try to remember to use the "Reply with quote" option if you're not directly responding to the immediately previous post.

GavinRuneblade
July 3rd, 2019, 06:04

Read rhymes with lead, and read rhymes with lead, but read and lead don’t rhyme, and neither do read and lead.

And don't even get me started on all the things you can speak but there is no way to write without using phonetic symbols instead of actual letters.