PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Adept in FG

DerGrumpy
June 9th, 2015, 15:01
I've got a Wizard in 5e who has the feat Elemental adept. I can't find it in the rule set. Has anyone implemented it? Basically you pick an element, ignore resistances to it and any (1) you roll is treated as a (2) when you roll damage for a spell using that element. Thanks for any help!

Moon Wizard
June 9th, 2015, 22:20
There is not currently any support in rule set for ignoring resistances or for automatic renumbering of dice. There is a die reroll capability added for weapons.

Regards,
JPG

Thegroo
June 9th, 2015, 22:34
You could set up the damage for the spell as a weapon and give it the attribute REROLL 1

DerGrumpy
June 9th, 2015, 22:38
Thanks all! Great suggestions. Trying to avoid "DM to the rescue"

Gorillaman13
June 9th, 2015, 23:35
Could you not create an effect with an IF statement to represent these things, like IF(ROLL= 1; DMG: 1) [SELF] that is removed on the next ROLL. OR IF(TARGET EFFECT= RESIST: fire, DMG: "double") [SELF]?

Please forgive syntax errors.

Trenloe
June 10th, 2015, 00:38
Could you not create an effect with an IF statement to represent these things, like IF(ROLL= 1; DMG: 1) [SELF] that is removed on the next ROLL. OR IF(TARGET EFFECT= RESIST: fire, DMG: "double") [SELF]?
Boolean logic doesn't exist in effects. All you can do is check if a specific, predefined in the ruleset, condition exists on a target: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Special_Components

Draca
June 10th, 2015, 03:24
hmm , can you use custom dice , like 2d4 instead of d8 , 2d5 instead of d10 , 2d3 for d6 ect? ( extension mayby i dunno)
and you could use the optional conditions extension to make a trigger for IFT to add an amount of damage = to the original damage of the spell , basically bypassing the resistance.
It seems a little bulky , but possible.

DerGrumpy
June 10th, 2015, 14:32
Can I use onDiceTotal() to identify if the roll is a 1 and if true replace it with a 2, and would that be allowable in the damage rolls on a spell? I'm not sure how it would code out either. If it returns a Boolean that on true replaces the result with a number, how do you designate "number?"

onDiceTotal(1,2)?

Trenloe
June 10th, 2015, 16:08
Can I use onDiceTotal() to identify if the roll is a 1 and if true replace it with a 2, and would that be allowable in the damage rolls on a spell?
You could do something in an extension... but the issue with this is how are you going to indicate this in the FG interface? i.e. use your custom code just for specifically this instance, or similar powers; but don't use it for other spell damage rolls. Then you'll have to update your extension code most times that a new 5E ruleset update comes out (quite regularly) which can get quite complex.

FG allows you to do a lot of coding yourself if you want to - which is great and it can be tempting to try to tinker with the code to add functionality such as the Elemental Adept example here. Just be aware that coding for an actively developed/developing ruleset can be a never ending job as you'll have to review and update your code most times that the ruleset is updated, which can quickly become a chore. The 5E ruleset is the most actively developed (and developing) ruleset on Fantasy Grounds at the moment and so there are frequent changes to the 5E code - adding new features and fixing/refining current functionality. Doing your own customisation can result in frustration down the line as you constantly have to try to fit your customisations into a changing codebase. If you're fine with this then go nuts with your coding, if not then I'd recommend working with manual processes for things like this - who knows, this type of functionality might be added to the ruleset at some point in the future...

DerGrumpy
June 10th, 2015, 16:18
i appreciate the info. I was hoping to do all of this in the DMG field for the spell, or for a "weapon" if I have to do fire spells that way for this to work. I'm an accomplished programmer and software engineer so I undertand the complexity of doing this in an extension, and that's why I'm trying to find a workaround within the rule set.

Moon Wizard
June 11th, 2015, 07:26
As with most features of the game system, the focus is on the 80-90% most used mechanics. Unfortunately, Elemental Adept throws 2 minimally used mechanics into the mix: Minimum roll (which is different then existing reroll and only instance in PHB), and ignoring resistance (which is only mentioned twice in PHB). It's on the list of mechanics not yet supported, but no estimate of timing.

For the minimum roll aspect, I'd probably just fudge it and give my player +1 per die. It only changes the average damage by +0.5 per die rolled.
For the ignoring resistance, it needs to be added. One of the reasons why it hasn't been implemented yet is that "ignore damage resistance" type effects are actually 2 separate things: ignore resistance for all spells, or ignore resistance for a particular damage roll. Even the all spells can be difficult to code as a general rule. I'm guessing that per spell would come first to support NPCs too.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
June 11th, 2015, 17:03
What happens if you were to change the damage type to a dual type? Not sure you can even do that, something like "1d6 fire and other/untyped". And can that second type be "untyped"? Then, if all that's possible, would resistance Fire be bypassed since it is not resistant to both types of damage? But vulnerability fire would be considered?

And then to add to Moon's suggestion, instead of trying to adjust the re-roll on 1's, change the damage to 1d5+1? That would have the effect of keeping the min and max values the same, but would shift the average damage up less than .5. (Some math guy want to calculate the average if you re-roll 1's for us? I don't think it would be as quiet as much as .5 given that you only re-roll ~17% of the time.)

Trenloe
June 11th, 2015, 17:10
(Some math guy want to calculate the average if you re-roll 1's for us? I don't think it would be as quiet as much as .5 given that you only re-roll ~17% of the time.)
Note - damage re-roll is already available in the ruleset. It is converting 1's to 2's that isn't available.

LordEntrails
June 11th, 2015, 17:22
Ah, I misunderstood the adapt rule. I see now, 1's become 2's. In that case, the correct average roll for a 1d6 for the adapt rule would be.... (2+2+3+4+5+6)/6 = 3.67
versus using 1d5+1 which would be 4.0

Draca
June 11th, 2015, 19:35
Ah, I misunderstood the adapt rule. I see now, 1's become 2's. In that case, the correct average roll for a 1d6 for the adapt rule would be.... (2+2+3+4+5+6)/6 = 3.67
versus using 1d5+1 which would be 4.0

what effect would 2d3 have on the average damage ?

OneSidedDie
June 11th, 2015, 20:47
It would also be 4.0.
3d2 - 1 gets you about 3.43~ but is weighted to rolling 3's and can never be 6.

LordEntrails
June 12th, 2015, 03:30
Note that 2d3 and 3d2 have other effects that changing the average damage. The more dice used to get the same range, the steeper/more centralized the bell curve. i.e. 2d3 has an average of 4, but that average occurs more often than the "average" you obtain when you roll 1d5+1

Kulis
January 6th, 2016, 07:41
Trenloe,

Any update on when support for Elemental Adept (ignoring a damage resistance or rerolling 1s to 2s) might be coming out? This is one of the few things that isn't automated in my campaign and I have an Evocation fire loving wizard that is KILLING ME with having to manually recalculate damage everytime he casts a spell!

Thanks,
Kulis

Zacchaeus
January 6th, 2016, 13:44
No these things haven't been implemented and as discussed above might not be that easy to do.

The only method I can think of is to have your player not roll the damage against the NPC (In other words untarget them before damage is rolled). Then you can manually enter the damage against the NPC yourself. This gets around any resistance problem and it should be easy enough to add in any extra +1's to the damage mentally.

Metin
March 2nd, 2021, 17:08
it is not reroll, take 2

Jiminimonka
March 2nd, 2021, 19:11
There is an extension on DMsGuild that covers Elemental Adept, think its $5

Griogre
March 2nd, 2021, 21:01
There is one thing you can do on the damage if you don't want to get the DMs Guild extension, is set the damage type to magic instead of fire. Also on the damage calc for rerolls just let him do damage normally then if there is something that needs to be rerolled have have him do so. And then apply the extra damage. The DM will find this to be less work because if the monster is already dead it doesn't matter so you only have to do this on living ones.

Jiminimonka
March 2nd, 2021, 21:08
There is one thing you can do on the damage if you don't want to get the DMs Guild extension, is set the damage type to magic instead of fire. Also on the damage calc for rerolls just let him do damage normally then if there is something that needs to be rerolled have have him do so. And then apply the extra damage. The DM will find this to be less work because if the monster is already dead it doesn't matter so you only have to do this on living ones.

Doesn't Elemental Adept just not allow 1's? So all 1's become 2 - so you just count the number of 1s and add that total to the damage. Its actually mega simple to do.

How about the Ignore Resistance? Can that be added as an effect to the wizard or does it need to be added to each NPC the wizard is targeting that has that resistance to the damage type?

Zacchaeus
March 2nd, 2021, 21:20
You could apply an effect to the target of VULN: <damagetype> which will overcome the resistance. Another method is just to drag the original damage back onto the target from chat and it will do the damage and resistance again - so effectively the target will get the correct damage (apart from some possible rounding errors).