PDA

View Full Version : DM from another computer

SoundHyp
June 9th, 2015, 03:11
I think I know the answer to this, which would be no, but I wanted to ask to clarify. I have an ultimate license and some material for my group I'm running. I was curious if I installed FantasyGrounds on my Raspberry Pi (computer the size of a credit card) if I would be able to connect to it from my desktop to DM. I typically have my computer off while at work, but some of my players would like to access characters for a number of things. We are still getting going so people are still doing finishing touches on characters. It would be nice if I could just keep the game running on the Pi and be able to connect to it. If that isn't possible I think I will keep it up on there until we are in full production mode on the campaign at which point I will toss it back to my desktop. Any information is welcome.

dulux-oz
June 9th, 2015, 03:38
Although I'm a big fan of the Pi I've never actually tried to do this. Let me see if I can work this out. :)

If the Pi is running as the host and you are connecting a PC to the Pi (as a client) and expecting to GM, then it won't work.

If the Pi is running as the host and you are telneting into the Pi from a PC then it should run, but I's hate to think what the experience would be like.

If the reason you are doing this is simply to allow the Players to continue to update their characters, then they can do that "off-line" by using the Manage Characters Mode of FG - of course, they will not have access to any Modules (eg The 5E Complete Character Pak) unless they owned the Module themselves. Once they had created their character in Manage Character Mode they would simple export it and send it to you and you could import it into your campaign.

Does that answer your question?

SoundHyp
June 9th, 2015, 04:32
I was hoping to be able to DM from another computer. I figured it wouldn't work since there wasn't like a DM Password or something. I thought about remoting to it, but yeah that sounds atrocious to do lol. I thought it couldn't be done, but it would've been nice to have a nice little backlock of adventures, I haven't found a feature that let's you save the chat and everything. Kinda like a journal of events past. Maybe that's a feature and I'm missing that, wouldn't put it past me.

Trenloe
June 9th, 2015, 04:58
I haven't found a feature that let's you save the chat and everything. Kinda like a journal of events past. Maybe that's a feature and I'm missing that, wouldn't put it past me.
The chat history is saved to chatlog.html in the campaign directory.

kdconwell1
June 9th, 2015, 08:33
By what I have read PI is to slow. It doesn't have the processor or stability necessary to run the game. There are better gaming systems out there that should run it just find for about 150 dollars on Amazon with a 2.1 processor, more than enough memory and hard ware space.

dulux-oz
June 9th, 2015, 08:37
The Pi should be powerful/fast enough to run the software - it'll run a HD movie with full 5.1 Dolby Surround at 1080 - the amount of data and processing that FG does is way less then that - but I'd use a model B Pi with an ethernet link, not wireless to do it!

Jiminimonka
January 21st, 2016, 19:00
The Pi should be powerful/fast enough to run the software - it'll run a HD movie with full 5.1 Dolby Surround at 1080 - the amount of data and processing that FG does is way less then that - but I'd use a model B Pi with an ethernet link, not wireless to do it!

The last few Pi are pretty powerful considering how tiny they are, and more than capable of handling this.

I am going to wait for the Unity update, since that will allow it to run native in Linux.