PDA

View Full Version : [Savage Worlds] War of the Dead

Daedalus
June 8th, 2015, 18:23
This game is canceled/over

Mask_of_winter
June 9th, 2015, 00:05
My schedule is full atm and I've already played through the first part of Chapter 1 and own all material. Anybody looking for a great campaign to join should consider this. It's good stuff.

Good luck to you Daedalus!

Also, this may be of interest to you: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/poll.php?pollid=165&do=showresults

jenovvson
June 9th, 2015, 00:08
Correct me if i'm wrong but do I need to buy the ruleset from the store to play Savage worlds games? If so save me a spot if you can. :)

Mask_of_winter
June 9th, 2015, 00:15
No Jenovvson, you don't need to buy a ruleset to play in a game. Only the host (GM) needs to own it. You won't be able to manage your character when not connected to your GM though.

jenovvson
June 9th, 2015, 00:18
Ah. Ok I noticed that I couldn't create or manage SW characters through the manage characters. Thanks mask.

AFNick12
June 9th, 2015, 01:04
I would love to play this. with you guys.

Daedalus
June 9th, 2015, 14:23
Ok Here is who we have so far:

jenovvson
ADNick12
Loonybinjin

So we need at least one more person to start and two more to fill the game. So if anyone else is still interested please let me know

Loonybinjin
June 9th, 2015, 17:29
Hola.

Daedalus
June 9th, 2015, 18:23
Ok if we can get more more then we can start- two more people will fill the game

jasonthelamb
June 9th, 2015, 19:33
Depending on the date/time, I would be interested in playing. New to Savage Worlds, though :P

Daedalus
June 9th, 2015, 20:30
Depending on the date/time, I would be interested in playing. New to Savage Worlds, though :P

Well at least for now I will count you in. Being new is not a problem either. I am open except for Thursdays (I should be playing in a D&D game) and Fridays (I have a local group). I am eastern time as well

Daedalus
June 9th, 2015, 20:31

jenovvson
ADNick12
Loonybinjin
jasonthelamb

So we have enough to get started and we have one more spot to be filled. Once we determine a day I will make a calendar event and you guys can sign up there to make it official

jasonthelamb
June 9th, 2015, 21:56
Yeah, my issue is that during the week I can't really play past 9-10PM EST, as I work at 5-6AM.

Loonybinjin
June 9th, 2015, 23:23
Jason, the magical words are afternoon nap! ;)

Daedalus
June 10th, 2015, 14:41
How about the weekend? Does that work for anyone?

Koral
June 10th, 2015, 18:48
If there is room i would like to get in on this game.

Daedalus
June 10th, 2015, 19:44
If there is room i would like to get in on this game.

No problem. Consider yourself in

Daedalus
June 10th, 2015, 19:45

jenovvson
ADNick12
Loonybinjin
jasonthelamb
Koral

So unless we have a dropout we are filled. However I will take other people who are interested on reserve to fill in in case scheduling becomes a problem and someone has to drop out

Loonybinjin
June 11th, 2015, 06:34
I'm good for the weekend, or most weekdays. Thursday is the only definitive day that I wouldn't be able to do anything on.

Daedalus
June 11th, 2015, 15:52
I'm good for the weekend, or most weekdays. Thursday is the only definitive day that I wouldn't be able to do anything on.

Cool. How about the rest of you? Also, Loony, I know I have private messages from you and I am going to answer them in a minute. I just have been busy preparing for the one shot Savage Worlds Zombie game I am running tonight

jasonthelamb
June 11th, 2015, 18:16
It would depend on when in the weekend it is. Friday night I have my own Pathfinder Game, and Sunday afternoon I have a Star Wars game.

Daedalus
June 11th, 2015, 20:50
What about Saturday nights?

Loonybinjin
June 11th, 2015, 21:04
I'm free Saturdays.

Daedalus
June 11th, 2015, 21:41
Loony, good to know

Daedalus
June 11th, 2015, 21:44
Also guys, just an FYI- I am running a one-shot zombie horror game (custom) with pre-gen characters so if you are interested the calendar entry is here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1452 with the discussion thread in this forum (Savage Worlds- Sam's Club Diaries One Shot)

Loonybinjin
June 11th, 2015, 22:02
My plans for this evening have been called off, I'd give this a shot, sure!

jenovvson
June 11th, 2015, 23:28
I can do saturdays.

Daedalus
June 12th, 2015, 00:59
Ok so we have two people who can do Saturday. How about the rest of you guys?

jasonthelamb
June 12th, 2015, 04:11
I believe I can do saturday nights, also.

Daedalus
June 12th, 2015, 14:23
So we have:

jenovvson- Can Do Saturday
ADNick12- Waiting to hear from them
Loonybinjin- Can Do Saturday
jasonthelamb- Can Do Saturday
Koral- Waiting to hear from them

We have 3 that can do Saturday nights and two we haven't heard from- ADNick, Koral can you do Saturday's?

Koral
June 12th, 2015, 15:25
I am good with what ever night you guys pick

Daedalus
June 13th, 2015, 06:22
So we have:

jenovvson- Can Do Saturday
ADNick12- Waiting to hear from them
Loonybinjin- Can Do Saturday
jasonthelamb- Can Do Saturday
Koral- Can do Saturday Night

We have 4 that can do Saturday nights and one we haven't heard from- ADNick, can you do Saturday's?

Daedalus
June 13th, 2015, 21:23
OK Guys, since the majority are OK with Saturday I am going to run the game on Saturday Nights from 7 pm to whenever you want to stop (since I don't have to go anywhere on Sunday).

Here is the Calendar entry. If you are in please be sure to go and sign up on the Calendar. I am looking to get going next Saturday (so I have plenty of time to prepare). If you have characters please contact me via PM with the character sheet so I can get them imputed into the system so we can be ready to go next weekend.

Calendar Entry for War of the Dead: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1463

Daedalus
June 14th, 2015, 21:32
Ok guys, just to bump this up. We have 3 of the 6 spots filled so if you are wanting to play please go to the calendar entry here and sign up: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calen...ex.xcp?id=1463

Please feel free to forward your finished character to me so I can enter the sheet before the game begins. We can do it when you connect, I just thought doing it ahead of time would be faster

Daedalus
June 15th, 2015, 14:28
Ok We are getting filled up- We have two more spots left but we have enough to get started if need be. How do you want to do characters? Do them offline and then add them to the game or send them to me and have me enter the characters into Fantasy Grounds? (Player characters that is)

Daedalus
June 15th, 2015, 17:43
Koral and ADNick12- If you can play on Saturdays please sign up on the calendar, there are two more spots left before the game fills

Daedalus
June 15th, 2015, 19:42
Watched Dawn of the Dead last night so I am really jazzed up to run this. We have a few spots left so if you are interested please jump in.

AFNick12
June 15th, 2015, 23:12
where is the calendar cause I can play then. For some reason it wasnt notifying me that people were replying on this. Kind of annoying lol

AFNick12
June 15th, 2015, 23:14
Found the calendar lol

Loonybinjin
June 16th, 2015, 00:21
Providing that Kobal Signs up, shall we be starting this Saturday?

Daedalus
June 16th, 2015, 14:49
Providing that Kobal Signs up, shall we be starting this Saturday?

We technically can start this Saturday because we have reached the minimum number of players I want (5), filling up is of course the goal but yes, we can get started this Saturday. Are people going to make characters offline and send them to me manually or via Fantasy Grounds?

AFNick12
June 16th, 2015, 16:31
I would prefer to make my character online since it would help me with the character creation process since we'll I'm new to savage lands and I am not completely sure about anything yet. So ill probably need some help lol

Daedalus
June 16th, 2015, 17:03
I would prefer to make my character online since it would help me with the character creation process since we'll I'm new to savage lands and I am not completely sure about anything yet. So ill probably need some help lol

We are playing Savage Worlds but close enough :) Sure, it's not a problem. I imagine it might be a bit of a slow start at the beginning but then will smooth out.

Daedalus
June 16th, 2015, 19:12
Does anyone have questions/need help with characters?

Daedalus
June 18th, 2015, 16:15
There was talk about changing the bite rules since they are so deadly for "War of the Dead". Basically if you get bitten and get one wound you will turn into a zombie after a certain amount of time and there was talk during my one shot by people who are alsos playing in this game about making it less deadly.

So what do you guys think? Keep it as is or make it a little less deadly?

jasonthelamb
June 19th, 2015, 00:35
I think it depends on the type of game you want to run, if you're looking for an action bang-bang shoot 'em up zombie game, then I'd think it would be best to pass on that rule - but if you're looking for a gritty survival game that's meant to make us fear all sorts of zombies- then I'd say keep (or modify and keep) those rules.

Daedalus
June 19th, 2015, 00:56
I think it depends on the type of game you want to run, if you're looking for an action bang-bang shoot 'em up zombie game, then I'd think it would be best to pass on that rule - but if you're looking for a gritty survival game that's meant to make us fear all sorts of zombies- then I'd say keep (or modify and keep) those rules.

Well I would like to keep it gritty survival but I want to be fair to the players and run the game they want to play. If I haven't heard Saturday I am going to keep the rule as is.

Loonybinjin
June 19th, 2015, 04:32
As the person who suggested the chance, I can say that while I respect the gritty aspect of it and would definitely like there to be a major penalty to the whole being bit thing, that being said, making almost every possible wound an instant death means that we might as well be running with fodder characters.

I suggested that whenever a character is bit to see if they can 'contract' the zombie virus, followed by various vigor checks down the line to see if the body can successfully fight off the illness. Being ill would place a character at one level of fatigue per day they fail the check, and if they reach third level of fatigue, they die. This would one, punish players for being wounded by reducing their chances of fighting off the illness, two, make it harder to fight off the illness as it gets worse for someone, I.E. Second day is worse than the first, and finally allowed players some method of fighting the illness. Through medical treatment. This way having say, a doctor, can become relevant and important.

Also note that whenever a character who has at any point in time been infected dies, they will always turn. It just means that being bit isn't a game ender for a character, just a 'major' problem, one that can result in serious roleplay choices. I.E. "Kill him now, or wait to see if he can fight it?" "Leave him behind, or keep fighting?" "Give up on what we are doing, or trying to keep fighting?" "Spending precious medical equipment and materials to fight this, or put him down because he probably isn't going to survive anyhow?" I personally think that making it a roll causes it to be far greater and more productive roleplay element in a game.

Loonybinjin
June 19th, 2015, 04:34
Also, we're rocking this saturday, right? This Saturday? I sure hope it's the case!

Daedalus
June 19th, 2015, 18:37
As the person who suggested the chance, I can say that while I respect the gritty aspect of it and would definitely like there to be a major penalty to the whole being bit thing, that being said, making almost every possible wound an instant death means that we might as well be running with fodder characters.

I suggested that whenever a character is bit to see if they can 'contract' the zombie virus, followed by various vigor checks down the line to see if the body can successfully fight off the illness. Being ill would place a character at one level of fatigue per day they fail the check, and if they reach third level of fatigue, they die. This would one, punish players for being wounded by reducing their chances of fighting off the illness, two, make it harder to fight off the illness as it gets worse for someone, I.E. Second day is worse than the first, and finally allowed players some method of fighting the illness. Through medical treatment. This way having say, a doctor, can become relevant and important.

Also note that whenever a character who has at any point in time been infected dies, they will always turn. It just means that being bit isn't a game ender for a character, just a 'major' problem, one that can result in serious roleplay choices. I.E. "Kill him now, or wait to see if he can fight it?" "Leave him behind, or keep fighting?" "Give up on what we are doing, or trying to keep fighting?" "Spending precious medical equipment and materials to fight this, or put him down because he probably isn't going to survive anyhow?" I personally think that making it a roll causes it to be far greater and more productive roleplay element in a game.

I think that unless anyone doesn't like this we will go with this rule to replace the current rule which, as you point out makes the game really deadly. Anyone want to go with the original rule or is this one ok?

Daedalus
June 19th, 2015, 18:44
Also, we're rocking this saturday, right? This Saturday? I sure hope it's the case!

Wait? We were going to play this saturday? Oh man............. Just kidding. Yeah I am going to be ready. I have a bunch of pictures and floorplans and I made a ton of Zombie tokens so we should be good. We are going to start at 7 this week so we can get situated and get going. I may push the game starting next week back to 8pm est. Not sure yet

Daedalus
June 20th, 2015, 21:01
Savage Worlds- War of the dead starts tonight at 7. Please have your characters ready for me.

I will let everyone know what the server information is and I will put it up ahead of time so people can try to get connected.

The team speak information is as follows:

Details

Description: 450 Player Teamspeak 3
Hostname: ts.fg-con.com
Server Password Dungeoneers
Room: Savage Worlds- War of the Dead Saturday

Let me know if there are any questions and/or something comes up

Daedalus
June 21st, 2015, 00:02
The server is up and running. The code is:

code echo able gate

Come into chat please and let us know if you have any problems

Alan Meranda
June 21st, 2015, 00:13
Trying to get into the TS Chat room for the game its not letting me in.

Daedalus
June 21st, 2015, 00:14
Trying to get into the TS Chat room for the game its not letting me in.

Password: zombies

Daedalus
June 21st, 2015, 01:34
We had to postpone because a couple people didn't show up. If you no longer want to play please let me know. Also, if someone out there wants to actually play please let me know

Daedalus
June 21st, 2015, 01:44
Would there be a better day to play? I am not available on Thursdays or Fridays

Daedalus
June 22nd, 2015, 14:26
So we have:

Loonybinjiny
Koral- Can do Saturday Night
Alan Meranda
mac40k- New Player

I am removed jenovvson because they have not answered private messages though I know they have logged on. If they are serious about playing they can rejoin. So we have 4 and could use two more players. So if you are interested please let me know. I am going to check again with AFNick12 to see if they still want to be in. If they are in that is 5, if not then we have only 4.

Mask_of_winter
June 22nd, 2015, 15:24
Mac40k is back??!! He ran War of the Dead for us like three years ago. Good times!

Daedalus
June 22nd, 2015, 20:56
Looks like we are going to be back up to 5 players if AFNick replies and says he is still in. Waiting to hear back from him. Still need to figure out when we are going to play

mac40k
June 22nd, 2015, 21:27
Mac40k is back??!! He ran War of the Dead for us like three years ago. Good times!

Hey Mask! I was fortunate enough to play in a local group for the past several years and get my RPG fix that way, but now that I've relocated to Costa Rica (a.k.a. paradise) I'm champing at the bit to get back into the FG scene. Just upgraded my license to Ultimate and as WotD is one of my favorite settings, I can't wait to give it a go as a player. I also found a Roll20 ETU game and I'm working on a conversion of The Void (future hard Sci Fi Mythos setting - think Delta Green, in Spaaace!) to hopefully be able to run something myself later on down the road.

P.S. It was more like 4 years ago when I ran WotD Ch 1. Tempus Fugit!

Loonybinjin
June 22nd, 2015, 21:35
Welcome to the team Mac! I'm looking forward to having another member who'll clearly know what they are doing, and I look forward to whatever character you may make!

Do you currently have any ideas as to what you will create?

Daedalus
June 22nd, 2015, 23:28
Welcome to the team Mac! I'm looking forward to having another member who'll clearly know what they are doing, and I look forward to whatever character you may make!

Hey, I know what I am doing and I have been boning up on the rules. That's it, you are so suffering a zombie clown attack! :)

Daedalus
June 22nd, 2015, 23:29
Hey, would everyone who is playing please PM me your email address? I am setting up a mailing list so we can communicate between games and notices can go out about the game. Thanks

mac40k
June 22nd, 2015, 23:45
Name: Marshall Holmes
Concept: Battle scarred USAF vet mechanic
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Driving d4, Fighting d6, Guts d6, Intimidation d4, Notice d6, Repair d6, Shooting d6, Stealth d4, Streetwise d4,
Survival d6, Tracking d6
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 5
Hindrances: Code of Honor, Guilt, Haunted Memories (Minor)
Edges: Scavenger (per WotD, not SWD)
Gear: Flashlight, Flint and Steel, Survival knife (Str+d4, Contains supplies that add +1 to Survival rolls)

Veteran SSgt Holmes served two tours in Afghanistan and suffers from PTSD/survivor's guilt after his convoy hit an IED. Once discharged and sent back home, he used his mechanic skills to get a job at a local auto repair shop, but his marriage disintegrated as his former spouse couldn't deal with the flashbacks and violent dreams that had him waking up screaming. He really wants to get on with his life, but he is plagued by his ghosts.

Daedalus
June 23rd, 2015, 16:32
Ok it looks like we have enough to get going. Do you guys want to start talking about when we want to play this game? We could go back to Saturday (I don't know if loony is going to run his SW Warhammer game that day) or perhaps we could play another day.

Kind of need to hear from people until I get email addresses and the mailing list is up and running.

Daedalus
June 23rd, 2015, 20:56
Hey guys,

Well it seems we have the 5 players needed and the game is currently full.

Alan said he could not play this Saturday due to a party and AKNick is on vacation and can't play this Saturday but can play the Saturday after this one. So I was wondering, should we set the game back to be on Saturday and not make it this Saturday but start the following Saturday?

Loonybinjin
June 23rd, 2015, 23:07
I'm a little confused, I was under the impression that this storyline was taking place during the late seventies/early eighties, thus making the war hardened veteran from a war in the new millennium impossible? This could just be me having misunderstood something based on previous conversations with Daedalus, but I thought this campaign existed before the dawn of the internet and what not, during the 'airquotes' golden age of zombie movie horror? Post or during Nam even. This could just be me being a moron.

Pushing it back a week is fine.

Daedalus
June 24th, 2015, 00:23
Where did the idea it happens in the late 70's/early 80's come from? From the book it seems like it could be set at any time. Perhaps someone who ran it for you ran it in that time period. But I am unaware of a set time period (mac, you ran it and you can correct me if I am wrong)

mac40k
June 24th, 2015, 01:42
Where did the idea it happens in the late 70's/early 80's come from? From the book it seems like it could be set at any time. Perhaps someone who ran it for you ran it in that time period. But I am unaware of a set time period (mac, you ran it and you can correct me if I am wrong)

It's definitely set in modern times. Once the fecal matter hits the round, oscillating, bladed device the Internet/cell phones/etc don't work which is covered in the intro material. You may be confusing the fact that in the game reality, the zombie genre of entertainment (books, movies) doesn't exist, so the characters are expected to act like they've never seen anything like it before. It doesn't take place prior to Night of the Living Dead, The Walking Dead, et al, it's just that those things don't exist in the game world. IOW, characters don't immediately go, " hey look, a zombie. Aim for the head."

Loonybinjin
June 24th, 2015, 05:55
Such is fine by me! I'll have to do some updates to my and Kobal's characters, just to catch up with modern times, but it's surely acceptable. Thanks for the clarification, that could have been odd.

Daedalus
June 24th, 2015, 15:41
Such is fine by me! I'll have to do some updates to my and Kobal's characters, just to catch up with modern times, but it's surely acceptable. Thanks for the clarification, that could have been odd.

Not a problem. You have plenty of time.

Also it looks like the game is going to be on Saturdays starting NOT this Saturday but the following Saturday. Does that work for everyone?

mac40k
June 24th, 2015, 19:40
For me one day is pretty much the same as the next, but I wonder how others that have more regular schedules will feel about giving up Sat nights, especially during the summer.

Loonybinjin
June 24th, 2015, 22:11
Oh I don't mind committing Saturdays.

Daedalus
June 25th, 2015, 20:03
For me one day is pretty much the same as the next, but I wonder how others that have more regular schedules will feel about giving up Sat nights, especially during the summer.

The only issue for me is that I don't have many other open days available. My Calendar is filling pretty quick.

Daedalus
June 25th, 2015, 20:08
It looks like is is going to be Saturdays. Everyone was good before with it so I think we will stick with it for now.

Daedalus
June 26th, 2015, 01:39
I still need email addresses from Koral and Alan. So if you could PM them to me I would appreciate it

Daedalus
June 27th, 2015, 19:56
Just a bump up. Still need an email address from Koral and Alan. Please PM them to me when you can

Daedalus
June 28th, 2015, 05:47
The Game is full at 6 players, however please sign up to be on stand by in case a player needs to drop out

Daedalus
June 29th, 2015, 18:25
Just checking- Is everyone still ok for going this saturday at 8pm? I know it's the 4th of july so let me know if this causes a problem for you

Daedalus
June 30th, 2015, 15:01
I am planning on running the game this Saturday unless I hear some objections. I know it's a holiday so I wanted to make sure it still worked for everyone

Gertak
June 30th, 2015, 16:25
I did go ahead and apply just in case you lose a player. :)
I think this module sounds awesome. (I do have moderate familiarity with SW)

Daedalus
June 30th, 2015, 19:28
I did go ahead and apply just in case you lose a player. :)
I think this module sounds awesome. (I do have moderate familiarity with SW)

I sent you a private message as well but you are on the waiting list so if something comes up I will let you know.

Daedalus
July 2nd, 2015, 14:30
Looks like we are on for this weekend so if you can't make it or will be late please reply here or on the mailing list

Daedalus
July 4th, 2015, 22:01
Just a reminder. We are playing tonight. I will also remind everyone on the mailing list as well

Daedalus
July 5th, 2015, 00:27
Forgot to mention that we will be using the FG teamspeak server:

Details

Description: 450 Player Teamspeak 3
Hostname: ts.fg-con.com
Server Password Dungeoneers

This serverd is pretty reliable so we recommend using this. See the bottom of this post for additional connection information and details of another server based in Europe that can be used as a backup if there are issues with this main server. If you switch servers just be very clear with your players which one you are using - we've seen a few occasions where players have been sat waiting in the wrong server!

Daedalus
July 6th, 2015, 15:45
Great game. Thanks to everyone who could make it. We will be playing again this Saturday.

Daedalus
July 7th, 2015, 15:03
Koral, just checking in. I know you have things going on. Do you think you will be able to make it to this weeks game?

Daedalus
July 8th, 2015, 15:54
We are playing this Saturday. Looking at everything it appears that Saturday is the only day that works.

Monday: I can't do it- Family night
Tuesday: Loony can't do it because he has that other game - IE why we are switching the 40k game to Wednesday Night
Wednesday Night: Warhammer 40K Game
Thursday Night: I can't do it because I currently have a D&D game I am in which will most likely be dropped and I will be playing in a Savage Worlds East Texas University Game
Friday Night: I have a local group
Saturday: Current War of the Dead Game
Sunday: Alan Said he couldn't do it because he has a game or two

(Yes I listen and have an awesome memory)

So it looks like Saturday is the only day. If it doesn't work for you Koral I understand and I would hate to lose you, but if you would need to drop out I would understand. I don't want you to, but I would understand if you had to

Daedalus
July 10th, 2015, 00:03
I will continue to post here as well but most discussions are going to happen in the mailing list

Daedalus
July 11th, 2015, 22:38
I will post this to the mailing list as well. But we are starting tonight at 8:00pm EST. Be there or be square. Alan, you be both. ;) As always if you need to be late or you cannot make it please let me know

Daedalus
July 13th, 2015, 04:50
Thanks again for the paintence with Saturday's game. I have a bunch of stuff planned for next week so it should be very interesting

Daedalus
July 13th, 2015, 19:42
Just to make you aware- I am doing some major prepping for next Saturday so things are going to get interesting. Stay tuned for more details

Daedalus
July 14th, 2015, 15:04
Just to let you guys know it appears there have been some changes to the teamspeak server so you may want to check the posting out to make sure you are prepared:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server&p=129318&viewfull=1#post129318

Daedalus
July 15th, 2015, 14:53
When we play on Saturday please try to get to the server on time (I will put it up early so you guys can connect and will let you know ahead of time) because I have a lot of things planned. We can play later if Loony doesn't have to work and/or people are up to it

Daedalus
July 16th, 2015, 14:51
In two days the dead are coming. Are you prepared?

Daedalus
July 17th, 2015, 14:43
We are starting at 8pm est on Saturday. The new time has been posted on the game calendar. We have a new player Gertak that will be joining us. His character will probably join the group when we hit land

Daedalus
July 18th, 2015, 21:24
We are playing tonight so please be there on time. Also as always let me know if you are going to be late and/or cannot make it

Daedalus
July 20th, 2015, 18:26
OK So I have gotten new characters for those people who are changing their characters for War of the Dead 2.0. Starting Saturday the game will be set in the world of War of the Dead but we won't be using the campaign books because they are too railroady/broken so I will be free forming it.

If you have any questions please feel free to post them here or in the mailing list

Daedalus
July 22nd, 2015, 15:11
If you have any questions please let me know. I know I have been slow on the mailing list. My host (where the mailing list goes through) has been having problems so I haven't had as much access to the list as I would like

Daedalus
July 23rd, 2015, 14:29
We will be playing this Saturday. So if you are going to be late or cannot make it please let me know

Daedalus
July 24th, 2015, 14:49
I have decided that I need to do some more preparation for the game so we will NOT be playing this Saturday. I will be posting this to the mailing list as well

Daedalus
July 27th, 2015, 16:32
The game is on for this coming Saturday. I will continue to post throughout the week here and on the mailing list to remind everyone. Please let me know if you have any questions ahead of time and come ready to play

Daedalus
July 28th, 2015, 20:23
Just thought I would float this by you guys (and I will do it in the mailing list as well) how does starting out in Reno sound?

Daedalus
August 1st, 2015, 20:59
Sorry guys. I am going to have to cancel tonight for personal reasons. I will post a message in the mailing list as well

Daedalus
August 8th, 2015, 04:55
I will be posting this reminder in the mailing list as well. We are on for tomorrow night. There won't be anything coming up. As always please let me know if you are going to be late or cannot make it (for those of you who haven't already)

Daedalus
August 9th, 2015, 02:32
The game this week was canceled due to only 2 of the 5 players showing up. I am going to open up recruiting since we are starting again and haven't started yet so if you are interested in joining please sign up on the calendar: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1463

Daedalus
August 12th, 2015, 21:59
Still looking for players so if you are interested in signing up please do so on the calendar https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calen...ex.xcp?id=1463

damned
August 12th, 2015, 22:06
Daedalus you look like you are on a serious mission to convert the masses to Savage Worlds!

Crymoricus
August 13th, 2015, 00:42
A good mission it is. Savage Worlds is great, great fun.

Daedalus
August 13th, 2015, 16:04
Daedalus you look like you are on a serious mission to convert the masses to Savage Worlds!

I wouldn't say that it is a mission to convert the masses to Savage Worlds, it's more to show the world that there are other games/systems out there that aren't D&D. People are free to play D&D and I am not trying to stop that. I am just trying to get people to try new things. Variety is a good thing

Daedalus
August 13th, 2015, 16:04
A good mission it is. Savage Worlds is great, great fun.

Great fun and really easy to convert a setting into, meaning less overhead for the GM and more fun to be had for all

damned
August 14th, 2015, 13:58
I wouldn't say that it is a mission to convert the masses to Savage Worlds, it's more to show the world that there are other games/systems out there that aren't D&D. People are free to play D&D and I am not trying to stop that. I am just trying to get people to try new things. Variety is a good thing

and it was not a criticism. im running dungeon world tomorrow, last time i ran maelstrom, the time before i ran castles&crusades and maelstrom. spread the love. whatever its colour.

Daedalus
August 14th, 2015, 14:29
and it was not a criticism. im running dungeon world tomorrow, last time i ran maelstrom, the time before i ran castles&crusades and maelstrom. spread the love. whatever its colour.

I know it wasn't. And you are absolutely right about spreading the love.

Daedalus
August 14th, 2015, 20:51
Just a reminder that we are playing tomorrow. If you are going to be late or you cannot make it please let me know

Daedalus
August 15th, 2015, 16:11
Just a reminder. We are playing tonight. Please let me know if you are going to be late or you cannot make it

Daedalus
August 15th, 2015, 21:39
Looks like we are getting an additional person so it's going to be a full house

Daedalus
August 16th, 2015, 01:06
We are playing but I still don't see anyone. Where is everyone?

Daedalus
August 16th, 2015, 01:43
Well guys, another game time, and only one person showed up. So I am canceling this game. Thanks to everyone for their effort but this game was just not meant to be.

Crymoricus
August 16th, 2015, 05:37
Wow, Dae... what a bunch of bums. Sorry, man.

ianmward
August 16th, 2015, 07:15
I was lucky, I managed to get 4 of the 6 turn up to my last game and 3 of the 6 to the other, but saved by a last minute walk in.

I guess people just don't realise how much work goes into preparing and running a session, otherwise they wouldn't be so disrespectful by not turning up with no notice. I find it quite disappointing.

Don't let it get you down and keep up the good work, we appreciate your efforts.

Mask_of_winter
August 16th, 2015, 07:27
Yeah, my game almost didn't run as well. Only 2 out 5 showed up but we managed to pick up another last minute player. Seems like it happened to quite a few games this FGDaze. We organizers need to find ways. Some blamed it on getting the time wrong. The game calendar should solve that granted people have their timezone set up right in their profile. Maybe we need to stress it out more in the next FGDaze announcement. We have four before the next FGDaze since FGCon is in October.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make FGDaze better Daedalus?

damned
August 16th, 2015, 08:22
Daedalus's game wasnt actually FGDaze! I think... I did see lots of full games but the no show rate amongst new players is still high. I had 5/5 show for my session but 4 of them were more regular / longterm players. FGDaze! did come about out of a desire to make finding a first game easier for new players so we do need to look at how to improve the commitment rate of this group of players. One GM had 11 signups and announced that the first 7 to show up on the day would get to play... I wasnt a fan of the idea in principle but he had his 7 players ready to go.

JohnD
August 16th, 2015, 16:57
It sucks when people do this. No respect for the time of the rest of the group, especially the GM who puts the most into everything.

Keep trying.

Trenloe
August 17th, 2015, 02:05
I think one of the key things is the GM sending additional communications to the players - confirming the time, confirming attendance, etc.. Don't assume they're going to sign up just because they've signed up on the game calendar - get a response from them up-front and then a confirmation close to the game (a couple of days before).

Morgentaler
August 17th, 2015, 04:38
This is purely my experience from 2 FGDaze first one I communicated pmed the folks..and had 4 no shows. And i turned down other players who were eager to apply later but since I was already booked I turned them down.. And of course 3 of them didn't show..and I scrambled with my regular players to see if they would jump in to give the new guys a proper experience.

This time around with no communication since I was crazy busy i got 3 out 5 show up..and got 3 last minute add on's since a few had their GM cancel last minute.

I don't know what the solution is other than I need to find a secretary so she can PM all these people and remind them. Personally I think the calendar tool needs a revamp. I stopped using it for my campaigns since it has no option to send alerts. You literally have to either PM or email yer group for them to get notifications else you have to actually go on the calendar page.

So next time the first come first serve..or lottery system doesn't sound to bad.

JohnD
August 17th, 2015, 04:56
Hopefully this adds value. If not, I guess I'm a troll'n again.

I've found the following works reasonably well.

Get an email address for every player in your group. Be clear that you will communicate via email as well as on the campaign page.

When you schedule a game session, email the group to let them know. Be clear on what your quorum (minimum required to play) is and that if it isn't met by sufficient "yes" votes in the calendar, you will be cancelling the game. For me, I go with 50% + 1 (rounded up). I usually make this determination about 5 hours ahead of game time ideally... if you're not going to run the game, give everyone a chance to find something else to do with their time (including yourself!).

Email the group again a day or so ahead of the game with a reminder.

Email the group when you load FG (personally I try to have it going an hour or so ahead of game time).

Email the group within 12 hours of the end of a game session thanking them for their participation, and provide some idea, even if it's a shot in the dark, for when your next game session might be. Try to not schedule games with less than two days advance notice... five or seven days seems to work great.

Rinse/repeat.

In my experience across multiple gaming groups, this approach results in solid attendance the majority of the time. Perhaps once a year I have a game where 6/7 have voted that they will attend and then only 2 people show up... but that really is the exception not the rule. Sure, the opposite is true where you'll cancel a game only to hear after you've done that, that everyone who didn't vote could have made it after all, so you've missed out on a game... but this again is the exception not the rule.

Along with this be clear what is considered an acceptable attendance rate. If someone is at 1 out of every 4 games, is that an issue for you? Personally, I go with "3 strikes". Three consecutive games with no yes/no vote by a player, or no participation in in-between session email threads, or no responses to specific emails directed to him/her, and I consider that player to have self selected out of my game - without having had the courtesy of letting me and the other players know. As a GM I firmly believe you are far better off looking for a new player than wondering if Bob, James, Rick and Sasha are going to show up this week so you, Marty and Ted who are always there can actually play. This may, on the face of it, sound like you're doing nothing but recruit new people... but in a pretty quick period of time, you should find yourself with a full group of people who value being in your game, and are present and participating more often than not.

Anyways, my 2 cents worth, based on 12+ years of running games on the internet. YMMV and all that.

Trenloe
August 17th, 2015, 05:46
This is purely my experience from 2 FGDaze first one I communicated pmed the folks..and had 4 no shows.
Did you get confirmed responses from your PMs?

Morgentaler
August 17th, 2015, 06:48
Did you get confirmed responses from your PMs?

Yarp but these things are bound to happen..with the 4 campaigns I curently run I found a good group of people to share my passion for DMing and role-playing with.

It's just a shame for the people i did turn down the first time :/ And I also wish i had more time so i could run something for all the folks unable to find a game..but 4 is currently pushing my sanity. Thank god for FG making prep so smooth and easy :)

Three consecutive games with no yes/no vote by a player, or no participation in in-between session email threads, or no responses to specific emails directed to him/her, and I consider that player to have self selected out of my game - without having had the courtesy of letting me and the other players know.

I learned the first part the hard way and quickly adopted your method..though I wish i had though about the forum/thread part..cause it's near impossible to get them on there lol..lazy bastards :P

jasonthelamb
August 17th, 2015, 11:43
I usually add everyone on SKype, not for voice but to get everyone in a chat room - just to alert them when the FG server is up, and when the TS channel is up. Been running a steady group for ten months now and have not played maybe 3-4 times because of lack of players.

JohnD
August 17th, 2015, 16:44
Yarp but these things are bound to happen..with the 4 campaigns I curently run I found a good group of people to share my passion for DMing and role-playing with.

It's just a shame for the people i did turn down the first time :/ And I also wish i had more time so i could run something for all the folks unable to find a game..but 4 is currently pushing my sanity. Thank god for FG making prep so smooth and easy :)

I learned the first part the hard way and quickly adopted your method..though I wish i had though about the forum/thread part..cause it's near impossible to get them on there lol..lazy bastards :P

To be fair, I also had to learn this approach the hard way back when I was running Neverwinter Nights games. I suppose if someone is using Obsidian Portal or something else like that, maybe my approach is redundant, but the more touches/reminders the better in my experience (to a point obviously).