PDA

View Full Version : 5e Wraiths

Mavrik6666
June 8th, 2015, 13:14
I was wondering how people handle the 5e Wraith attack -

i know you could do it on paper, but is there a good system way of doing it ....

When a Wraith hits, it does damage, and if you fail a CON save then you loose the same number off your max HP's.....

The problem I have encountered is - In FG it doesn't deduct the hp's from a total, but totals up damage taken as wounds. So I had a player with 50hp.... took 26 damage as a wound, he failed his save, and I took 26 off his HP total down to 24, and the tracker said he was dying

I assume that the way it should work / intended is that your maximum goes down, so healing is not going to help... but tracker doesn't really support this

Thoughts?

damned
June 8th, 2015, 15:18
Just ctrl-drag the damage back on to the PC manually and it will reverse the temp damage leaving you with the MAX HP loss...?

Mavrik6666
June 8th, 2015, 17:47
Sorry Damned... ctrl-drag from where.... When I roll the damage dice and apply to player... damage goes in Wnd as a number : 26... when I Ctrl-drag it from the chat window.. it just heals him the same amount.. and makes the Wnd : 0

Karykzen
June 8th, 2015, 18:49
I was wondering how people handle the 5e Wraith attack -

i know you could do it on paper, but is there a good system way of doing it ....

When a Wraith hits, it does damage, and if you fail a CON save then you loose the same number off your max HP's.....

The problem I have encountered is - In FG it doesn't deduct the hp's from a total, but totals up damage taken as wounds. So I had a player with 50hp.... took 26 damage as a wound, he failed his save, and I took 26 off his HP total down to 24, and the tracker said he was dying

I assume that the way it should work / intended is that your maximum goes down, so healing is not going to help... but tracker doesn't really support this

Thoughts?

Have not ran into/used wraiths yet, but given what you said, the character would be dying. But to answer your question, I would let the wounds be applied for the attack, and then as the DM, go into the players Character sheet (Bottom of the Main tab) and reduce their Max HP's by the same amount. You may also try entering a negative number in the TEMP HP section, but I don't know if that will work (not at home to try it).

TASagent
June 8th, 2015, 19:04
Karykzen: from what he's saying, the character shouldn't be dying because of a difference between how FG handles hit points, and the 5e RAW interpretation. If a character has 30 HP and is hit by a Wraith for 10 damage And fails his save, he is reduced to 20 HP, and 20 Max HP. Mavrik6666 is right to point out it's not the desired behavior.

Mavrik6666: When you drag a Number, holding control will negate it. If you drop it into the TMP slot on the Combat Tracker, it will add (or subtract) from that slot. However, Damage, as rolled by the damage macros, is a special number; it will always "jump" into the wound slot. You can do the following:

Deselect the "Target" option in the upper left corner of the roll modifier window, so you're not rolling the damage against the player.
Roll the Damage.
Pick up the Damage and drop it back into the chat window. (I know...)
Now you can pick up the Number, and this you can control-drop into the tmp HP box of the CT.

It's not too bad. I'll poke around and see if there's a better option.

An extension is also possible... :-)

TASagent
June 8th, 2015, 19:23
Okay, I took a look at the parsing code and came up with an improvement. Use this as your damage string:

Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: The target must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw. If the target succeeds, they take 21 (4d8 + 3) necrotic damage. If the target fails, they gain a number of temporary hit points equal to -4d8-3. This reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0.

Edit: Doh. Doesn't quite work, but it's closer. I'll poke at it a minute.

Edit 2: I see... The engine automatically takes the highest (ie Most Positive) of the current and new Temp Hitpoints. You might need to handle it manually if you want to use the Tmp Hitpoint field.

Zacchaeus
June 9th, 2015, 10:50
Nice work, TAS. You should do a tutorial on all the things you can do with the numbers in FG because there seems to be a lot that aren't very well known (or obvious).

TASagent
June 9th, 2015, 11:14
Thanks, Zacchaeus. But I just started using FG within the last month. I'll wait until I have a bit more experience under my belt. :-)

Mavrik6666
June 9th, 2015, 11:51
wraith attacks

When you have 63 HP's in HP, -16 in TMP and 51 Wnd... I would expect the player to be dying - but it not... does the negative prefix in a slot work ?

TASagent
June 9th, 2015, 11:59
You're right, that's another reason the solution as proposed doesn't really work automatically. Looks like Tmp Hitpoints are just a pool that drains first, before HP. Meaning they don't do anything if negative. For me, it would still be preferable to to changing their actual HP number, for fear of losing track what to change it back to, but it does mean manually tracking their current actual health. I may play around with the concept of modding the temp max hit point deduction. Would fit well with the Unearthed Arcana Vitality thing they just published as well.

Mavrik6666
June 9th, 2015, 12:42
noted.... manual fix is to note the negative modifier to the total HP in the temp HP box as an aid memoir, nothing more, and to note player is dying manually...

Works, if not elegant

Thanks TAS

TASagent
June 9th, 2015, 16:28
Alright, Zacchaues. You convinced me. I figured I might as well start a list, and people can help me expand it.

I posted it over here. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24644-Advanced-Fantasy-Grounds-Usage-5E-Ruleset-Edition&p=216092#post216092)

Go ahead and comment on it if you'd like me to add anything.