PDA

View Full Version : Read Me Before You Post

Dupre
December 11th, 2004, 15:33
When you need customer support, please check that:
- You are using an up to date display driver
- You have downloaded and installed the latest patch from the downloads (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads) page
- Your firewall has the following ports open,
Host: Inbound port 1802, TCP
Clients: Outbound port 1802, TCP

Please include:
- Which version of the software you are running
- In case of display related problems or crashes; card type, amount of video memory, driver version number
- Any details of actions you might have taken that preceded the problem, even things you might consider unrelated
- If you are using a laptop, which laptop

If you're looking for old archived threads, there's a separate subforum (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46) for them.

Added on August 19, 2008 by Ged:

From the FAQ: My computer crashed and my license key was lost with it. How do I get it back?

You should make a (physical) copy of the license key in the first place, but should you only have the key on the said computer, send an e-mail to [email protected] containing the store you purchased the software from and your purchase order id. Preferably send it from the same e-mail address you use with the web-store or include the information as text. As license key retrieval includes several manual cross-checks, you should allow us a few days to process the case.

Thanks,
msd
December 11th, 2004, 15:47
- Both the server and clients have ports 1082 and 1083 open

How do we check this in the situation where we have the standard DSL router? I have never installed any software firewall or configured any hardware firewall, but the router sets itself up without any issue...

Is it fair to say that if I was able to connect as a player to someone's game, then all the required ports are open?

Thanks,
Matt

Dupre
December 11th, 2004, 16:14
How do we check this in the situation where we have the standard DSL router? I have never installed any software firewall or configured any hardware firewall, but the router sets itself up without any issue...

Please note that the original message had a typo. The ports are 1802 and 1803.

Is it fair to say that if I was able to connect as a player to someone's game, then all the required ports are open?

If you are able to connect as a player, you have the necessary outbound ports open. Rarely do ISPs or firewalls block outbound connections no matter what port they use.

The host, however, needs to have inbound ports 1802 and 1803 open, and this will require opening a port from a firewall if you have one. You need to check your firewall manual on how to do this.

msd
December 11th, 2004, 16:51
The host, however, needs to have inbound ports 1802 and 1803 open, and this will require opening a port from a firewall if you have one. You need to check your firewall manual on how to do this.

Right...I guess what I am saying is that to the best of my knowledge, I do not have a firewall.

Oh well.

Its kind of a shame that it requires this much monkeying with ports and firewalls and things. The average person who installs his DSL router and gets on the internet is not going to have any clue how to do this.

Dupre
December 11th, 2004, 18:10
Right...I guess what I am saying is that to the best of my knowledge, I do not have a firewall.

In that case you should be able to be the host without fiddling with any settings. If you are behind a router, you need to use the server alias feature.

msd
December 11th, 2004, 18:26
forget it...

Yuan-Ti
December 11th, 2004, 20:32
forget it...

Not to insert myself where I know so little, but I was wondering, MSD, if you mean you have a DSL modem and run the cable directly into the computer. If you have no firewall software on your computer, then you should not have a problem and should not need to fiddle with your ports.

In fact, even if you have a router (as I do) between your computer and your modem, you really should still not have to fiddle with anything unless your router has its own firewall (I doubt that it would), or you are connecting through a network, such as at a university, which may have a firewall between itself and the outside world. But even then, there normally is not a problem playing games online.

Does that help? Or just confuse the issue?

Morgan
December 11th, 2004, 21:44
forget it...

Not to insert myself where I know so little, but I was wondering, MSD, if you mean you have a DSL modem and run the cable directly into the computer. If you have no firewall software on your computer, then you should not have a problem and should not need to fiddle with your ports.

In fact, even if you have a router (as I do) between your computer and your modem, you really should still not have to fiddle with anything unless your router has its own firewall (I doubt that it would), or you are connecting through a network, such as at a university, which may have a firewall between itself and the outside world. But even then, there normally is not a problem playing games online.

Does that help? Or just confuse the issue?

A router is, by definition, a hardware firewall. Basically, a router acts as a bridge between your internal network and the internet. That being the case, most routers are configurable as to which ports can be opened for incoming connection requests, and to what computer on the network those requests are routed. Incoming connection requests are much less frequent on home systems than outgoing traffic. Things like web servers, FTP servers, email servers take incoming connection requests.

Note that incoming connections are different from incoming data on a connection. When you connect to your email server, you request the connection to it, it grants it, and then data flows both ways. When you're running an FG server, you're allowing others to connect to your computer. They request the connection, your system grants it (via FantasyGrounds) and then data can flow both ways.

What I'm finding out is that FG accepts connections on two ports, so both have to be open in my router, which is what we can try next.

Now add to that that many ISPs prohibit their users from running servers (such as web servers and such) on their home systems through their networks. I think that's what happened to msd and myself when I tried to connect to his system. His ISP may have refused to route the connection request to his system. I use Time Warner, and while they have the same policy, they use some common sense in enforcing it. They'll only come down on people that are abusing the system for the most part.

So let's keep trying :)

Jupp
December 12th, 2004, 14:55
Another thing is that XP brings its own firewall with SP2. So even if people claim they did not install any firewall software by intention they still have one in case they have Service Pack 2 installed. And depending on the settings in SP2 the user will not even get a notification if a port is blocked by the SP2 firewall...

Goblin-King
December 12th, 2004, 15:20
Excellent point, Jupp. I'll make sure we get that in the sticky as well.

msd
December 12th, 2004, 15:31
Another thing is that XP brings its own firewall with SP2. So even if people claim they did not install any firewall software by intention they still have one in case they have Service Pack 2 installed. And depending on the settings in SP2 the user will not even get a notification if a port is blocked by the SP2 firewall...

You hit it...someone else pointed this out to me as I was trying to troubleshoot this.

In fact, I think this is potentially even a problem without SP2 (not sure though). Open up Network Connections in the Control Panel, check out the properties of a connection, go to the advanced tab. Is the "Protect My Computer and network..." checkbox clicked? I don't have SP2 installed but I think that might have been giving me the problem.

Jupp
December 12th, 2004, 15:38
Correct, while i wouldnt call the internet protection feature of SP1 a "firewall"
it still blocks almost all trafic (including the high ports) from the internal network. I think that thing is part of the ICS feature in XP.

But it's nice to see that your prob seems to be solved ;)

msd
December 12th, 2004, 16:26
I think that thing is part of the ICS feature in XP.

Sure...fair enough.

nix4
May 29th, 2005, 14:27

Please note that the original message had a typo. The ports are 1802 and 1803.

If you are able to connect as a player, you have the necessary outbound ports open. Rarely do ISPs or firewalls block outbound connections no matter what port they use.

Oh hey! well that might explain some of the connection problems I've been having..only opened up 1802 for incoming traffic...1803 was being blocked!

Aesir
May 29th, 2005, 15:52
Oh hey! well that might explain some of the connection problems I've been having..only opened up 1802 for incoming traffic...1803 was being blocked!

Note that pre-v1.02 software versions require port 1803, TCP as well.

I take this to mean that TCP 1802 is the only port used now. But it would be interesting to see if your connection is issue is fixed by opening 1803, if you are running a current version of FG.

nix4
May 29th, 2005, 17:46

Note that pre-v1.02 software versions require port 1803, TCP as well.

I take this to mean that TCP 1802 is the only port used now. But it would be interesting to see if your connection is issue is fixed by opening 1803, if you are running a current version of FG.

Ya to add to the confusion Dupre dosnt state weather the obsoleted 1803 is only need for host or client...

Dupre
May 29th, 2005, 18:25
The Demo available from the downloads page and pre-1.02 versions of the full and lite versions need:
Host: Inbound port 1802 and 1803 TCP
Clients: Outbound port 1802 and 1803 TCP

The current version is 1.04c and you only need to have port 1802 open. Pre-1.02 versions of the software have not been available for a couple of months.

nix4
May 29th, 2005, 22:26
The Demo available from the downloads page and pre-1.02 versions of the full and lite versions need:
Host: Inbound port 1802 and 1803 TCP
Clients: Outbound port 1802 and 1803 TCP

The current version is 1.04c and you only need to have port 1802 open. Pre-1.02 versions of the software have not been available for a couple of months.

That clears that up! Thanks for the quick response.

LeapOfFaith82
October 10th, 2005, 03:34
Where can i check which ports are open and closed?

Cantstanzya
October 10th, 2005, 03:49
Where can i check which ports are open and closed?Try this (https://netsecurity.about.com/cs/hackertools/a/aafreeportscan.htm) site, it list many options. I have used NMap before but that was a few years ago so I could thell you how to use it. I think it was pretty easy to use. It's open source and free.

broodking
December 19th, 2005, 15:37
i would love to if i can actually use this program....do u use ICQ or some other messanger ? my icq is 242-110-732

angelous_0
December 19th, 2005, 16:20
it wont let buy the program, it says select counrty , i clicked on u states and nothing , i did a restart and even switched computers same proublem any thing i can do?>

richvalle
December 22nd, 2005, 00:46
i would love to if i can actually use this program....do u use ICQ or some other messanger ? my icq is 242-110-732

No. The chatting is contained withing the program. Or you can use one of the free voice over ip software packages to do your comms.

rv

captain
March 5th, 2007, 23:32
A router is, by definition, a hardware firewall. Basically, a router acts as a bridge between your internal network and the internet. That being the case, most routers are configurable as to which ports can be opened for incoming connection requests, and to what computer on the network those requests are routed. Incoming connection requests are much less frequent on home systems than outgoing traffic. Things like web servers, FTP servers, email servers take incoming connection requests.

Note that incoming connections are different from incoming data on a connection. When you connect to your email server, you request the connection to it, it grants it, and then data flows both ways. When you're running an FG server, you're allowing others to connect to your computer. They request the connection, your system grants it (via FantasyGrounds) and then data can flow both ways.

What I'm finding out is that FG accepts connections on two ports, so both have to be open in my router, which is what we can try next.

Now add to that that many ISPs prohibit their users from running servers (such as web servers and such) on their home systems through their networks. I think that's what happened to msd and myself when I tried to connect to his system. His ISP may have refused to route the connection request to his system. I use Time Warner, and while they have the same policy, they use some common sense in enforcing it. They'll only come down on people that are abusing the system for the most part.

So let's keep trying :)

A long post that does no help

Mr Hale
March 14th, 2007, 18:23
I bought FGII today and when I try and use it, it does fine till it gets to the main page. The only things visible are the Dice and a partcial box in the upper right corner, and occasionally a blank or colored box along the right side of the screen. I have tried everything I can think of and nothing works. HELP!!!!!!!!!!! please.

richvalle
March 14th, 2007, 18:52
Well, this post should be moved to its own thread.

I think you bought FG I as FG II is not out yet.

As to your problem... sounds like a graphics issue. Make sure you have the current drivers for your video card (if you could post back about what your video card is someone could probalby help you better then I) and make sure you have directx 9.0c installed.

Hope that helps.

rv

Mr Hale
March 15th, 2007, 21:36
Well I got it to load on my desktop. However my laptop is where I want and need it, and thats where the display problem is. It is a Toshiba Satellite, and more than exceeds the minimum requirements listed for the program. Its video card is a NVIDIA GeForce 4 460 Go w/ 32mb. I downloaded and installed directx 9.0 before even installing the program.
I have been playing around with it on my desktop and so far I must say I am incredibly unimpressed. The manual says it doesn't include how to use the advanced features, that is just plain stupid. Where can I find the manual for the advanced features?

richvalle
March 15th, 2007, 22:21
Ok... hopefully someone else will come along that knows video cards better then I. I did a quick look around... it looks like those cards came out in 2002 and most, but not all, models had directx 8 support. It maybe that the card does not support all the features of directx 9, even though you loaded it.

Yes, the lack of 'advanced' material has been an issue with FG for... well, as long as its been out. The devs are always busy making the next version. There has been promise of better documentation with the new FG II version.

One reason they haven't put out more docs for FG is that it is all changing in FGII.

Anything you want to know you can post a question into the... Armory or Workshop and someone will help out.

Good luck.

rv

Malovech
March 16th, 2007, 00:56
Well I got it to load on my desktop. However my laptop is where I want and need it, and thats where the display problem is. It is a Toshiba Satellite, and more than exceeds the minimum requirements listed for the program. Its video card is a NVIDIA GeForce 4 460 Go w/ 32mb. I downloaded and installed directx 9.0 before even installing the program.
I have been playing around with it on my desktop and so far I must say I am incredibly unimpressed. The manual says it doesn't include how to use the advanced features, that is just plain stupid. Where can I find the manual for the advanced features?

Unfortunately that video card is barely Directx 8 compatible, let alone Directx 9.0. It is most likely the cause of your problems. While you may have installed Dx9 the card is more than likely only using a fraction of it.

You can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_4_Series

Nvidia recommends this link: www.laptopvideo2go.com for other drivers, it might give you some solutions. I am skeptical, however.

In terms of advanced features, I am not sure what is considered advanced. If you mean creating new rulesets, searching these forums is your best bet.

Onegrayson
April 27th, 2007, 03:12
I have a player that cannot connect. Recently, we were all together with our laptops at a friends home and used FG to "chat" during our game. When we departed and went to our respective homes, he was unable to connect. Has something changed in his settings, where do I begin to resolve this problem?

Thank you.

Griogre
April 27th, 2007, 03:36
The problem is likely to be the host, not the player. Probably your router not forwarding port 1802 or 1802 being open. When you were all together you were using a local setup not one over the internet that is the difference.

Onegrayson
April 27th, 2007, 06:36
Not sure, we just opened the FG software and we were able to link. Now no one can (I tried another player) after the post. So what changed, I checked my router settings and they are what they were prior to our union. How can I verify router is forwarding port 1802 or 1802 open?

Griogre
April 27th, 2007, 08:27
By the way when you were together did you use the IP address that is displayed by FG to connect? This is a local internal addess. To connect over the Internet you need to use your router's outside address (or the alias). To find the external address have the host computer go to https://www.whatsmyip.org/ this will give you the router's external address.

The easiest way to see if your ports are open is to start FG in a window on the host computer. Then go to www.pcflank.com. On the left side toward the top under Test your system, click on Advance Port Scanner. Click Start Test. Look and make sure the IP Address given is the same you got from whatsmyip and then continue. Scan port 1802.

If the result is not open you will need to open the port because you will not be able to host until you get that port open. Getting the port open will require you to configure your firewall(s) and any internet security software.

Once you get the port open you will need tell your router (and any other devices between the router and the computer) to forward port 1802 to the computer hosting FG.

Onegrayson
April 27th, 2007, 09:39
I ran the test and the result was stealthed by a firewall, how do I change it to open?

Griogre
April 27th, 2007, 18:11
You will need to configure you firewall. These days the "modem" that connects you to the Internet (if you have DSL or cable) typically has a firewall in it. If your ISP supplied it then they typically can tell you how to open Port 1802. It would be faster to look up the make and model on the internet and find an instruction manual, though.

After that, typically your router, if you have one, also has a firewall in it and you will need to configure that. A great resource for instructions is www.portforward.com - it has detailed instructions to set port forwarding for a huge number of different routers: first select your router model on the Routers section and then click "Default Guide" near the top of the following page for detailed instructions.

draeven57
May 18th, 2007, 02:48
Okay... I am hooked up through a linksys wireless router (hooked to a cable modem). I have followed the instructions given in the previous posts but all my ports are 'stealthed' (according to www.pcflank.com) AND I don't have a Port 1802?! It isn't on the list of scanned ports. I am a complete networking noob, obviously but I really need to be able to run FG2. I have paid over $100 bucks for 1 full license and 4 lite licenses and won't be able to run a game unless I can get over this (what I assume is a) firewall problem...

*sigh* who knew it was gonna be this hard?!

Help please!

Cantstanzya
May 18th, 2007, 04:48
*sigh* who knew it was gonna be this hard?!
Help please!It really isn't that hard, you just don't know how to do it therefore is just seems hard. What you have to do is open/forward port 1802. Go to your linksys router 192.168.1.1 (by default) using whatever browser you use. It will ask you for your username and password. If you have never changed this (shame on you) it will be username admin password admin. Once you get into the router go to the "Application & Gaming" tab. There you will fill in FG2 for the Application name, then port 1802 for the start and end, then type in the IP address of the machine you will be using as the host. The IP address can be found by going to Start-Run and type cmd. Once in the dos screen type IPconfig. You will see your IP address, it should be something like 192.168.1.101. Put this number into the linksys screen. Then click on the enable button and push save settings. Now start FG2 and generate an alias. Have someone outside your network connect using the alias. It should work unless you have some other firewall setup.

draeven57
May 18th, 2007, 12:57
Thanks for the info- I will try that today when I get home (I am at work). I DO know that I got into my browser last night and tried getting into my wireless router using the ip addy I got by using ipconfig /all but it would not open.

NOTE: A friend of mine here at work asked me if I was hardwired into my wireless router. I am not. That would make a difference wouldn't it? I am using wireless to connect to my router since this is the computer in my bedroom and the wireless router is in my office (upstairs).

My other computer is a piece of junk so I don't want to use that to play FG.

So do I need to 'hardwire' connect to my wireless router in order to change the settings on it? That may very well be the problem.

Thanks

Cantstanzya
May 19th, 2007, 04:21
So do I need to 'hardwire' connect to my wireless router in order to change the settings on it? That may very well be the problem.

ThanksNo, you shouldn't have to have it hardwired. Just be sure that the port you forward is the IP of the computer you are using as the host (GM).

draeven57
May 25th, 2007, 03:10
Just wanted to touch base with you, Cantstanzya.. Thank you for the info. I finally got back around to trying this out and was able to make it work. And yes, you were right, it was pretty simple.

A friend of mine was able to log into my campaign just a few minutes ago on a test run. The problem was that I have a cable modem and then my wireless is connected to that... So I had to open my port on the wireless (opening the static IP I set for it) and then give out my 'actual' ip addy to him. He was able to get right in with no prob.

Thanks again,

Cantstanzya
May 25th, 2007, 03:23
Glad I could help out.

Ged
August 19th, 2008, 11:39
I just added this to the first post of this sticked thread, hope it helps (it's from the FAQ):

My computer crashed and my license key was lost with it. How do I get it back?

You should make a (physical) copy of the license key in the first place, but should you only have the key on the said computer, send an e-mail to [email protected] containing the store you purchased the software from and your purchase order id. Preferably send it from the same e-mail address you use with the web-store or include the information as text. As license key retrieval includes several manual cross-checks, you should allow us a few days to process the case.

Darren
October 25th, 2008, 06:40
My friends and I cannot connect. My windows xp firewall already allows exceptions for connections to FGII v.2.3.3, so why would I need to create a new inbound 1802 tcp port?

Spyke
October 25th, 2008, 06:52
My friends and I cannot connect. My windows xp firewall already allows exceptions for connections to FGII v.2.3.3, so why would I need to create a new inbound 1802 tcp port?Your firewall is protecting your machine itself, and it sounds as though you've set that up correctly. However, if you are behind a router (e.g. one controlling a wireless network) you will need to configure it to pass traffic coming in on port 1802 to the internal IP address of the machine on which you are running Fantasy Grounds II. This is known as 'port forwarding', and should be explained in your router manual. Some manufacturers refer to it as something like 'Virtual Servers'. Only the GM needs to do this.

I explain how to use PC Flank to test whether your GM session is open in post #6 of this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9184).

Spyke

Darren
October 26th, 2008, 21:43
Thanks, Spyke, I was finally able to set up the port forwarding for 1802, and create a firewall exception for port 1802. This did the trick - thanks for your explanation and direction.

Still
February 1st, 2010, 00:17
HELP!! :)

I am so beyond frustrated it is not even funny - not even in a "wow that guy got kicked in the nuts and although it is tragic I am still giggling" kind of way.

I have a SpeedStream 5242-Series modem (yes, modem - and it is not a router as I can do no configuration when I go to https://198.168.2.1) It doesn't allow me to set Port Forwarding or anything.

I am on Bell Sympatico in Toronto and I am connecting through a "switch" which has no firewall (Linksys 5-port 10/100 Workgroup Switch)

I am running Windows 7

I have version 2.6.4 of Fantasy Grounds II and I have a valid license code
(This is not pirated software, it is legitimate)

PC Flank says Port 1802 is "Stealthed"
PF PortCheck (Portforward.com's software) says Port 1802 is blocked

I have tried this with Windows Firewall ON and OFF

I have Fantasy Grounds II set in the Inbound and Outbound rules to ALLOW it access through the Firewall

I have even set Inbound and Outbound rules for the Firewall to allow Port 1802 in TCP.

And STILL whenever I attempt to host a game and press the Run Test button I am getting FAILURE and the ports are still listed as blocked/stealthed.

I also do not have anyone to run a test with to see if I can even PLAY in a Campaign so I am really out in mystery-land. I was hoping I could test my license and then entice my friends to jump onboard. But if I am having this much trouble my less-than-computer-savvy friends are going to blow a gasket if they have these issues configuring to play.

EDIT: I started a session as a GM and ran Portforward.com's port checker and it said that another program has 1802 blocked. Is this a good sign?

Help!! :)

Tercamil
February 1st, 2010, 02:35
Still,
I haven't used a modem in a long time so I can't help you directly. I did however find this forum post that seems to cover all the issues you are experiencing.
unlocking-speedstream-5200-act-full-featured-router-307731 (https://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/unlocking-speedstream-5200-act-full-featured-router-307731/)
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Saludos,
Tercamil

HDresden
February 1st, 2010, 03:18
Another option if you want to run a game is use Hamachi. As long as all your players have it they can connect right to you.

Griogre
February 3rd, 2010, 01:56
It should be mentioned that if you are using dial up you do not control the router that gives access to the Internet. Thus you can't port forward or open ports on your ISP's router. You will need to use a VPN like Hamachi.

Still
February 3rd, 2010, 03:45
Thanks for the information folks!

Its a DSL modem from Bell Sympatico so I knew I couldn't configure port forwarding because they inhibit the function on the 5200 series.

I will try Hamachi. As long as I can "join" a game I should be okay though!

Thanks for the updates and the helpful information!!

S

Spyke
February 4th, 2010, 11:46
As long as I can "join" a game I should be okay though!
You don't need to worry about port forwarding if you're not hosting the game. You should be able to join a game without any trouble.

Spyke

rhino138
February 24th, 2010, 23:39
I'm currently transferring everything to a new pc. I have managed to reinstall the lite version but i cannot find how to install the full version which I bought as an upgrade. The upgrade key listed in my registry is not recognised as valid although the lite license key worked fine. Help Please.

ddavison
February 25th, 2010, 02:03
Send a note to [email protected] with your email address you used for the upgrade. You'll need both your lite license key and the key from your email when you did the upgrade. If you don't have those any more, I should be able to help you look it up based on your email address.

rhino138
February 25th, 2010, 11:32
HI thanks for the rely, after a bit of digging I located the upgrade exe file that I had downloaded and this all worked. Cheers again

Roms
February 26th, 2010, 14:23
I have just acquired of a license full of this sublime program… and there I encounter a serious problem: I launch the fitter and until there all goes well, then at any moment me for the key of the license is asked. I checked my router (it is correctly programmed) like my firewall. I have a laptop (acer) under Vista.
When I test to use the update (it me met “gives”) and if I test connection it puts “faillure to me”. I am rançais.
thank you in advance

Griogre
February 26th, 2010, 23:19
Usually, you have a problem hosting a connection because port 1802 is not open for TCP/IP on all firewalls (most people with broadband have two firewalls), or you are not port forwarding to the correct local IP address. I would double check everything in all your firewalls and make sure you local IP address is static.

wulfboy01
February 16th, 2011, 02:15
Okay just spent over two hundred bucks on the license and software. The product is overwhelming. I occasionally test my connection with both success and failures. Is this due to a problem with the server? My connection seems to be fine. Let me know what you think. :)

Oberoten
February 16th, 2011, 09:12
Do you have the host-computer locked to a fixed IP? If not the forwarding can be rather interesting as your internal IP changes from time to time and the router keeps forwarding to an empty IP.

- Obe

wulfboy01
February 16th, 2011, 16:01
No, I don't and unfortunately don't have a clue how. I've looked on the internet and reviewed some of the ways to obtain a fixed IP, but to be honest, I'm a casual user of computers and really don't understand the ins and outs of networking. "Frustrating"

-wulfboy01

Moon Wizard
February 16th, 2011, 21:23
Wulfboy,

When you speak of testing your connection, are you speaking about the Test Connection button in the Create/Load Campaign screens of the FG launcher?

As of v2.7.4, FG attempts to request port forwarding from your router automatically (if it supports Universal Plug-and-Play). Otherwise, port forwarding will need to be set up on your router. If you review the documentation for your router, there are usually very specific instructions on how to configure port forwarding.

You don't necessarily need a static IP for port forwarding to work. It just makes it so you don't need to change your port forwarding settings when your IP address changes.

Typically, most computers are set up to use DHCP when connecting to a network. This means that when your computer connects to your router, it is randomly assigned an IP address from a pool of available addresses. Most routers attempt to give the same IP address to the same computer each time, but there is no guarantee. If your computer's IP address changes, then your router port forwarding settings have to be updated with your computer's new IP address.

Personally, I use DHCP at home, but I also do not shut off my computer. This means that my IP address rarely changes (only when I am out of town for more than a week, and my computer is off). When it does change, I just log into my router, and update the port forwarding with the new address.

Regards,
JPG

wulfboy01
February 16th, 2011, 22:12
Super awesome response, JPG. Sounds very helpful. When I get home from work I'll take another look at the laptop! I want to say that the people on these forums have been extremely pleasant and helpful. Thanks so much!

-wulfboy01

wulfboy01
February 17th, 2011, 21:24
Do you think getting a newer router would solve the problem? I have a 4 year old lynksys router.

-wulfboy01

Valarian
February 18th, 2011, 15:10
You could try looking here:
https://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

They've got walk-through guides for a number of routers. You'll need to skip the advert that comes up selling their product when you click the router name, then go to the default guide for the router. If you get stuck, post your router name and I'll post a direct link to the walk-through.

Griogre
February 18th, 2011, 18:27
Do you think getting a newer router would solve the problem? I have a 4 year old lynksys router.
I'm sorry to tell you a new router may not help you. I'd try Valarian's link first. PortForward.com is usually pretty good. Maybe Moon Wizard can tell you of a router he knows will automatically configure.

wulfboy01
February 21st, 2011, 02:43
Thanks everyone, I've solved the problem. I picked up a new lynksys router, an E3000, and it makes it very simple to accomplish the suggested tasks recommended by our sages. I'm happy to say that every time I test my connection, it results in a successful test. I've begun the process of establishing a campaign and my players are able to link with me with no problem. Yay!

-wulfboy01

StValentine
May 1st, 2011, 04:05
I am runnig the latest version of FGII and I am using windows 7. I have set the MS firewal to open port 1802 and can join another game so I assume outgoing is good but when I test connection to host a game it fails I think the problem might be my ISP provided router it is Consolidated Communications it is DSL. How do I configure it to work, if thats even the problem.

StValentine
May 1st, 2011, 04:25
I also tried turning my firewall off and connection test still failed. So now what do I do

StValentine
May 1st, 2011, 05:18
ok I contacted my ISP and they want to charge me $40 to configure my router to do port forwarding if I could just figure this out oh I haate being at the mercy of these people

Moon Wizard
May 2nd, 2011, 01:49
In order to host games, you will need to configure port forwarding on your router. You should be able to find a manual for your router online to help you configure the port forwarding.

In v2.7.4 of FG, it attempts to configure port forwarding automatically using the UPnP protocol. However, router support for this protocol is mixed. One item of note is that the Test Connection button on the launcher screen does not use the automatic port forwarding yet. You will need someone to attempt to log in to your hosted campaign to check if the automatic port forwarding is working. If you manually configure your router, the Test Connection should work fine. The Test Connection feature will be updated in the next release (v2.8) to use the UPnP port forwarding approach also.

Cheers,
JPG

Crossfireue
May 3rd, 2011, 16:12
ok I contacted my ISP and they want to charge me $40 to configure my router to do port forwarding if I could just figure this out oh I haate being at the mercy of these people
That's ridiculous. $40? Who is your provider? What is the make and model for your router - you could probably find instructions to do this online, and take care of it yourself for free.

To configure your router, you will need a username and password to access it, you SHOULD be able to get that from your provider. If not, they're hosing you and you should switch providers ASAFP.

StValentine
May 12th, 2011, 02:40
Thanks for the help gentlemen :)

Tisben
July 18th, 2011, 04:23
Hello all,

I bought FG2 Saturday morning. I am now 12 man hours at trying to get it to connect. I have read the posts here and I have configured my ports accordingly. The FG2 demo connects with no problem whatsoever. I beginning to wonder if I have made a mistake in purchasing this product as I will be the one that has to help everybody get their system running and after 12 man hours I still can't get mine to get past a "failure" when I "run test" so I can't even hit the start button to play with my new toy.

I don't know what else to do.

Note: I have even gone as far as DMZ on everything and still no connect.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tis

Trenloe
July 18th, 2011, 05:04
I bought FG2 Saturday morning. I am now 12 man hours at trying to get it to connect. I have read the posts here and I have configured my ports accordingly. The FG2 demo connects with no problem whatsoever. I beginning to wonder if I have made a mistake in purchasing this product as I will be the one that has to help everybody get their system running and after 12 man hours I still can't get mine to get past a "failure" when I "run test" so I can't even hit the start button to play with my new toy.

I don't know what else to do.

Note: I have even gone as far as DMZ on everything and still no connect

Post #69 in this thread may be related to your issue:

In v2.7.4 of FG, it attempts to configure port forwarding automatically using the UPnP protocol. However, router support for this protocol is mixed. One item of note is that the Test Connection button on the launcher screen does not use the automatic port forwarding yet. You will need someone to attempt to log in to your hosted campaign to check if the automatic port forwarding is working. If you manually configure your router, the Test Connection should work fine. The Test Connection feature will be updated in the next release (v2.8) to use the UPnP port forwarding approach also.

I'm thinking that your experience of the demo working fine could be because this is using UPnP to configure the port forwarding, whereas the test connection doesn't use this yet. This test usually fails for me, but my players connect without issue when I run the campaign - as the UPnP is used to setup port forwarding on the router once you have pressed "Start" in Load Campaign or Create New Campaign.

I presume you're running a full licence? When you say "I can't even hit the start button to play with my new toy" - what are you trying to do - join a game or create a new campaign? You should be able to "press start" when creating a new campaign (once you have selected a ruleset and given the campaign a name).

Tisben
July 21st, 2011, 02:22
Thanks for your help. I got past the start issue. I guess in 4e I had to hit all 3 choices for the dungeon. I'm still not sure about connecting with anyone though. but at least I can play with my new toy now :)

Take care,

Tis

quid.tu.facis
July 23rd, 2011, 06:46
I'm trying to avoid having to use Hamachi or buy a new router.

I have a Qwest ZyXelQ100 modem with the firewall off, but port forwarding for 80, 1802-1803 for TCP and UDP.

I have a DIR-601 Router with port forwarding for 1802-1803 for TCP and UDP.

I have a Compaq CQ60-211DX Notebook PC w/Window Vista Basic with exceptions for ports 1802-1803for both TCP and UDP.

I have FGII 2.7.6 full version. Two clients with full versions have been unable to connect.

The router Firewall has SPI enabled with UDP and TCP Endpoints - port and and address restricted.

The Windows firewall says its helping to protect a broadband, local area, and wireless network connection.

I did a port 1802 scan "port open test" on one of the suggested sites and the info came back "time out". I got the same results for the common ports for games and p2p ports, "time out".

I have had clients tried to connect without the alias, with the alias, with no extension themes clicked, with all extension themes clicked, with windows firewall turned entirely off, with router firewall in DMZ mode, with the interior IP address, with the exterior IP address.

I haven't been able to set up a static IP without losing the internet connection altogether. (FGII, the router website, and the modem website all give me the same IP address so I'm fairly confident I'm using the right address)

I have been able to join games. All of this is problems with hosting a game.

And after running an update check on FGII, the last line reads "error processing package manifest".

I'm hoping I have simply overlooked something. Any help would be appreciated.

Trenloe
July 23rd, 2011, 11:08
I have a Qwest ZyXelQ100 modem with the firewall off, but port forwarding for 80, 1802-1803 for TCP and UDP.

I have a DIR-601 Router with port forwarding for 1802-1803 for TCP and UDP.

I have a Compaq CQ60-211DX Notebook PC w/Window Vista Basic with exceptions for ports 1802-1803for both TCP and UDP.

OK, process of elimination:

1) Run FG and load a campaign up. On the same PC run FG again and select "Join Game" put anything in the username but use Host address of localhost the click start - you should connect through to your campaign.

This is just to prove that FG is running OK and accepting connections just on your computer.

Presuming this works, the next step is:

2) Can you connect your laptop straight to the modem? Basically let's try and get the router out of the equation. I don't knoow how your internal IP addressing is setup (where the DHCP server runs - on your router or the modem etc) so you may have to do a little bit of temporary network reconfiguration to test. As long as you can connect to the internet with your laptop and the port forwarding on the modem for port 1802 forwards to your PC you should be OK.

Then, get a friend to connect over the internet to the external IP or an alias and see what happens...

If this works, it's the addition of your router - let us know how you go and I'll provide more info if 1 and 2 above work...

Cheers,

Martin.

quid.tu.facis
July 23rd, 2011, 18:52
First, thanks.

I followed the steps and was able to log the player into the host with the player and host being on the same laptop.

After bypassing the router, our first attempts to log in to a host game from an outside connection were unsuccessful.

I then noticed the internal IP address had changed after bypassing the router.

I went to the modem website and had to remove the previous port forwarding with the new port forwarding using the new internal IP address. It wouldn't allow multiple addresses for the same port forwarding. The router firewall was irrelevant at this point having been bypassed and the windows firewall (I double checked) didn't need the internal IP address specified.

At that point, an outside connection was able to successfully log into the host and for the first time the run test came back "successful".

I don't expect this to work, but later I'm going to attempt to see if an outside connection might be able to log in to the host behind the router but using the IP address if the host wasn't behind the router. If there's no follow up post in the next 24 hours it didn't work. (I am hoping I don't have to unplug the modem cord from the router and plug it into my laptop every time I'm hosting a game. It's laziness, I know.)

Again, thanks.

Griogre
July 23rd, 2011, 18:56
Just to make sure you know - you need to port forward the modem to the *router's* IP address and then have the router port forward to the laptop's IP address if you want to run through the modem to the router to the laptop.

quid.tu.facis
July 23rd, 2011, 22:53
Thanks for bringing that up.

It didn't occur to me every item in the series of connections will have its own IP address and that the preceeding item can only port forward to the next item's IP address.

I made the changes, but it still didn't work. (I found the router IP address by clicking "network", right-clicking on the router, clicking "properties", clicking "network device" and then scrolling down.)

I'll just stick with the mind numbing work of unplugging the modem's 1 cord from the router and then plugging that 1 cord into the laptop when I want to host a game.

Again, thanks.

l4gerardo
September 18th, 2011, 06:59
Hi, first of all excuse my english, is not good enough, second i´m contacting you, because i have a problem connecting my players on a local network, i bought the ultimate license because i didn´t want my players to pay anything, and be able to play with me using your program wich i find very attractive and usefull, but they are not convinced cause they love the old pen and paper, but they don´t realize how much work is for a GM, so anyways i bought the program and invited them to come and try it, but for my surprise, using the internet conncetion i was only able to connect with four of them, a problem related to my isp connection limit, so we tried to set up a local network, and try to play,but the problem is that they can´t connect without internet connection, they keep getting an error message that says "Network error during host license check." i thought i was buying an ultimate license to avoid exactly that, i already tried all the advices on the forums and chat service, i´ve done the port fowarding, the 1802 port thing, connect to the internet and the try to connect with them, but so far nothing it just doesn´t work, and i really need help with this, i don´t want to sound rude or anything, but whats the point on selling an ultimate license, if i could spend less money buying a full and lite licenses, and i would be not having this problem.

i hope you can answer me as soon as you can, cause i have a game to tomorrow and i promise my players that i will have this problem solved by then, not trying to make you do a miracle, but at least, having a nice answer to my problem is not to much to ask.

thank you

Phystus
September 18th, 2011, 15:42
I think to use the ultimate license both you and your players need a connection to the internet, even if you're all on a local network. This is so the software can connect to Smitework's server to check the license keys to ensure that your ultimate license is legitimate.

~P

l4gerardo
September 18th, 2011, 18:08
but whats the point on buying the ultimate license in first place, if your are going to be trated like if you were a pirate. it doesn´t make sense. you cannot sacrifice your customers, just because you are worried about someone could be running an unlegitamate software!!! you´ll be having your customers politics all wrong

Dakadin
September 20th, 2011, 02:13
I have an ultimate license and I haven't had any trouble playing on a LAN. How are your players connecting to you? Make sure they are using your Internal IP Address. If they use the External or the Alias then it will try to use the internet.

l4gerardo
September 20th, 2011, 04:22
there is no problem with playing on LAN is when trying to play without an internet connection when it doesn´t let you, cause it has to check the license over the internet

Moon Wizard
September 24th, 2011, 22:10
I think you already contacted out support e-mail about this issue, but I will respond here as well.

Players connecting to an Ultimate license do require an Internet connection in order to check that the Ultimate license is valid. Since serial numbers can be hacked, it is our check to ensure that a valid license is being used.

If you decide that the Ultimate license scenario does not work for you, please let us know at support at smiteworks dot com, and we can look at exchanging your Ultimate license for a set of Full/Lite licenses.

Regards,
JPG