PDA

View Full Version : Old D&D player, completely new to this

TheGerman
June 6th, 2015, 04:35
Read the FAQ and didn't want to post in a current LFG post as I have zero experience with Fantasy Grounds (yet!) and didn't want to get invited/start a game with people and then they find out I have no idea whats going on. Would be unfair to all involved.

I played D&D back in highschool in the 90s and was interested in playing on FG but have not played much since, and am not even quite sure where/how to start. I'm available most evenings and have the time to be part of a consistent group that plays fairly regularly. My main problem now is I do not own FG yet and was told that there is a way to be invited on someone's license to play/demo the game as well as learn until I buy my own which I plan on doing.

Anyone have or is starting a group that wouldn't mind someone that can be available often, can be pretty dedicated and reliable yet needs to pretty much start at the beginning? Also, if I am missing out on a tutorial or single player demo, I'd be more than happy to learn on those as well.

I'm in the USA, Mountain time zone.

Thanks

dulux-oz
June 6th, 2015, 04:48
Hi TheGerman, and Welcome!

Some advice/clarifications for you (if you'd like) - do what you doing here: let people know when you're available and what your skill levels are and you'll pick up a group reasonable easily/quickly.

With the Demo License of FG you can play in anyone's game if they have an Ultimate License. You can also fire up a second copy of the Demo License on your own PC and connect to the first to "try things out".

There are a number of very good Tutorial Videos on the FG Wiki - damned's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the link in my sig, below). Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because just about all of the RPGs able to be played on FG are built on top of the CoreRPG, and by learning how to work the CoreRPG you'll stand yourself in very good stead for picking up the differences in any other RPG you care to play.

A note on terminology: FG uses the term Ruleset to refer to the computer code that contains the mechanics of a given RPG set of rules. The GM loads the relevant Ruleset into FG when he sets up for a game.
What most of use refer to as the Rules are actually better termed Source Books - in FG terms these are known as Modules. Modules can be selected for opening/closing during a FG session by both the GM and the Players (the Players may need the GM's permission to open a certain Module - this is specified by the GM). This link here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Development_Overview) may also help in understanding these concepts.

Above all, keep on asking question - the Community here is fantastic and very, very helpful, so don't be shy in asking if you don't understand something - and have fun!

Cheers

Nickademus
June 6th, 2015, 05:04
If you are interested in learning Pathfinder, I have a group starting in a couple weeks. No knowledge of Pathfinder is needed before hand and I'm used to helping people learn how to use Fantasy Grounds. Also, the pace of the Adventure Path is rather slow since it has a heavy focus on character development and roleplaying, so it is easier for new players to adapt to the environment and rule system. I will warn you though, the game has a bit of a different design than most; though if you're used to 2nd Ed D&D, this should feel rather similar.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24534-The-Heroes-Path-Tuesday

crb31
June 6th, 2015, 15:22
I have room for one more. I am running a LMoP starter set campaign on Thursdays start time is still open (early evening possible) for a 4 hour ish session. I have the same goals as you, I want to find out if FG is for me. I have been playing on Roll20 and the set up time...well. It's worth it to me to look for something else.
PM me if interested.

JohnD
June 6th, 2015, 20:24
Welcome. There are a lot of different flavours of D&D these days, including old school approach of castles and crusades - are you particular to one version?