PDA

View Full Version : War of the Dead Savage Worlds Supplement

FireSuperiorityComplex
June 4th, 2015, 20:52
I literally joined this forum just to make this happen. I have been talking to creator of War of the Dead Lee Szczepanik and he told me the inexcusable reason why you don't have it already.

So get off your butt and do it already.

Moon Wizard
June 4th, 2015, 22:28
We need a publisher who is interested in allowing the DLC to be built as well as a developer who is interested in building out the DLC. I'm not familiar with the details of this particular situation, but my guess is that we had a developer show interest at one point, but who ultimately didn't have the time/interest to complete the project.

If you are interested in helping build out this DLC for Savage Worlds, please contact Doug at [email protected]

Cheers,
JPG

ianmward
June 4th, 2015, 22:55
I started converting some if the War of the Dead stuff about a year ago... I'll look if I can find it.
One of the problems was that it includes no maps, so you need to create them all by hand, a job in itself.

Mask_of_winter
June 5th, 2015, 01:20
I know Lee as well, he's a pretty cool guy. War of the Dead would be easy to do since except for Week 1 that comes with some setting information and player character creation options, the rest is all story entries because it's a campaign by episode.

The fact that there no maps is no different from most other Savage Worlds adventures that usually have very little. And that includes products that are already on sale here.

If you can get 20 yes votes, I promise I will at least build Season 1. Will even make a light custom skin. Ian, would you give me a hand like last time with ETU?

ianmward
June 5th, 2015, 01:52
If you can get 20 yes votes, I promise I will at least build Season 1. Will even make a light custom skin. Ian, would you give me a hand like last time with ETU?

Yes, I'm in. I have even found what I did before. I have a library module with all of the intro and setting rules from chapters 1-3 and I have a 2 libraries for the fan made supplements, (including the pregen characters) and I have a library with the fan made tokens.

Also, I know Alex made (and ran) the first chapter of the alternate beginnings series...

ianmward
June 5th, 2015, 01:54
Oh... and I forgot, I have bought everything, including the World of the Dead Campaign Setting if we want to go that far.

Mask_of_winter
June 5th, 2015, 02:10
Yeah I have all of them as well. World of the Dead is a bit different though but it's definitely an option, no doubt. Cool that you have the pre-gens and tokens converted!

damned
June 5th, 2015, 02:36
Ian, Eric... if you need any assistance....
Of course get your 20 +1s first!

FireSuperiorityComplex
June 5th, 2015, 07:53
Wow I am really happy to see this is a real possibility. Hopefully we can get enough support for it!

damned
June 5th, 2015, 08:46
I know Lee as well, he's a pretty cool guy. War of the Dead would be easy to do since except for Week 1 that comes with some setting information and player character creation options, the rest is all story entries because it's a campaign by episode.

The fact that there no maps is no different from most other Savage Worlds adventures that usually have very little. And that includes products that are already on sale here.

Does Ians vote count?

Mask_of_winter
June 5th, 2015, 08:53
Does Ians vote count?
Sure does. I'll even vote myself.

ianmward
June 5th, 2015, 13:37
Yeah Damian! Why wouldn't it?

damned
June 5th, 2015, 14:15
Yeah Damian! Why wouldn't it?

because you guys are doing it if you get 20 votes... if you just wanna do it - do it!

Mask_of_winter
June 5th, 2015, 14:20
Because we have many other projects were working on. If we can muster up more interest it would be motivation to move War of the Dead to the top of the list.

damned
June 5th, 2015, 14:21
Because we have many other projects were working on. If we can muster up more interest it would be motivation to move War of the Dead to the top of the list.

but you're vote rigging!

Dr0W
June 6th, 2015, 04:38
I voted no.
Accidentally hit both no and then the button now I can't change my vote, I'm too clumsy using a tablet to browse sorry.
I meant yes =(

damned
June 6th, 2015, 04:41
Mooooaaarrrr Vote Rigging!
:)

FireSuperiorityComplex
June 8th, 2015, 03:32
I voted no.
Accidentally hit both no and then the button now I can't change my vote, I'm too clumsy using a tablet to browse sorry.
I meant yes =(

So let's just count that as a yes.

dberkompas
June 8th, 2015, 04:57
I backed the Kickstarter, so I have all the print copies of both War's of the Dead, World of the Dead, the World of the Dead Kickstarter exclusive and the alternate beginnings.

I just voted yes a few minutes ago.

Not sure what you're looking to do, make modules or extensions (or both?)

I have a tiny bit of experience with the code, I wrote a very simple D&D 5E extension to create a new tab on the character sheet to log adventures.

BoomerET

Mask_of_winter
June 8th, 2015, 05:42
Right now we're looking at WotD Chapter 1. This would also include the pog pack and pre-gens. For the FG conversion it would include a skin (extension) library module, token pack and the pregens with portrait pack. And also the addition of maps, something missing from the original release. I don't believe this setting changes the standard rules enough to need a modification to the character sheet.
This of course is speculation at this point since no agreement with Daring Entertainment has been reached. And because we don't have 20 votes yet ;)

if someone has any suggestion as to whatelse they think would be good to have or the look of the skin for it we'd like to hear it.

It's good to know you have those skills. You can never have too many people with skills such as yours. Noted :)

Matchstick
June 9th, 2015, 03:29
I vote yes, I think this would be a cool option to have available.

:)

grimm182
June 9th, 2015, 15:57
I hope this makes it, already did the data entry for weeks 1-2 plus the stat blocks...would be nice not to have to do anymore! :)

Lee_Szczepanik
June 10th, 2015, 08:44
That was . . . weird. I just now registered here to cast a vote for you guys, and it told me I've already voted. :pirate:

Mask_of_winter
June 10th, 2015, 09:02
Looks like we've got some work to do Ian! ;)

FireSuperiorityComplex
June 10th, 2015, 09:06
Awesome! Can't wait!

AstaSyneri
June 10th, 2015, 09:29
That was . . . weird. I just now registered here to cast a vote for you guys, and it told me I've already voted. :pirate:

They only thing you need to do is to get Fabled Environments to do some deckplans for that cruise ship... ;-)

ddavison
June 10th, 2015, 14:02
Looking back at my old emails, I see that someone other than us originally contacted Daring Entertainment. Lee reached out to us to inquire about it and I said it wasn't me, but that we'd be interested. We exchanged a few emails and it looks like I dropped the ball on the last email where I was going to send Lee a contract to review. This was back in January, 2011, before I was full-time on Fantasy Grounds. That's my only hope at an excuse. :P

GrimmGunthar was working on the conversion

Lee_Szczepanik
June 10th, 2015, 18:26
Looking back at my old emails, I see that someone other than us originally contacted Daring Entertainment. Lee reached out to us to inquire about it and I said it wasn't me, but that we'd be interested. We exchanged a few emails and it looks like I dropped the ball on the last email where I was going to send Lee a contract to review. This was back in January, 2011, before I was full-time on Fantasy Grounds. That's my only hope at an excuse. :P

GrimmGunthar was working on the conversion

I knew someone had contacted me, and right at the end, vanished. I didn't have the emails anymore to go back to them at this point, as I've since changed computers and emails were a pain to bring over from Windows Live.

CryAxe
June 11th, 2015, 01:00
Hi, I'm asking this here because of the proposed content that might be created. I understand War of the Dead to be an unforgiving death and consequences game, which is the best kind of horror imho.

Question on running a more purist horror or true consequence setting with SW.

What capabilities do we have natively in the SW ruleset for divorcing SW from it's inherent pulpiness? Things that come to mind would be:

1. Turning off Wild Card designation of players.
2. Turning off Acing.
3. Eliminating "Bennies".
4. Turning off modifier rewards for wild card draws during initiative.

There are probably other effects that could be tweaked to make players' actions have more significant consequences for their characters, but the above is some of the more obvious examples.

Giving individual, single use modifier bonuses as rewards would be much more reasonable than allowing all of that stuff in a survival horror game. For example a plus one here or there given for good play or significant accomplishments. Points on a dice roll that can be used at the players discretion and that must be committed before a roll is made, with no more than 4 added to any one roll. That is the sort of thing I had in mind, anyway. Even the most meager break a player is able to get would be cherished.

I am very interested in using SW for both a purist horror gaming experience and for use as it's naturally pulpy gameplay experience in other scenarios. Any input on this would be great as I'm planning on building some horror campaigns and need to commit to a ruleset soon. I like the Gumshoe take on investigation and discovery and will probably use it's methods for that purpose, but none of the other rules stand out as being especially good. SW covers virtually every other gameplay aspect handily and I could use it to play virtually anything, as long as I can turn off the "Pulp" and uber player character advantages when the setting requires.

I look forward to adding War of the Dead into my library. Thanks for putting in the work to make it possible.

Mask_of_winter
June 11th, 2015, 01:17
Hi, I'm asking this here because of the proposed content that might be created. I understand War of the Dead to be an unforgiving death and consequences game, which is the best kind of horror imho.

Question on running a more purist horror or true consequence setting with SW.

What capabilities do we have natively in the SW ruleset for divorcing SW from it's inherent pulpiness? Things that come to mind would be:

1. Turning off Wild Card designation of players.
2. Turning off Acing.
3. Eliminating "Bennies".
4. Turning off modifier rewards for wild card draws during initiative.

There are probably other effects that could be tweaked to make players' actions have more significant consequences for their characters, but the above is some of the more obvious examples.

Giving individual, single use modifier bonuses as rewards would be much more reasonable than allowing all of that stuff in a survival horror game. For example a plus one here or there given for good play or significant accomplishments. Points on a dice roll that can be used at the players discretion and that must be committed before a roll is made, with no more than 4 added to any one roll. That is the sort of thing I had in mind, anyway. Even the most meager break a player is able to get would be cherished.

I am very interested in using SW for both a purist horror gaming experience and for use as it's naturally pulpy gameplay experience in other scenarios. Any input on this would be great as I'm planning on building some horror campaigns and need to commit to a ruleset soon. I like the Gumshoe take on investigation and discovery and will probably use it's methods for that purpose, but none of the other rules stand out as being especially good. SW covers virtually every other gameplay aspect handily and I could use it to play virtually anything, as long as I can turn off the "Pulp" and uber player character advantages when the setting requires.

I look forward to adding War of the Dead into my library. Thanks for putting in the work to make it possible.

There are many ways to ramp up the fatality and horror in SW. Some of those tricks are found in the SWD with the gritty damage setting rules, others in the Horror Companion. Various setting also have their own setting rules that drive it home. Realms of Cthulhu for instance introduces a new set of wounds called Madness and also to turn off the option of spending bennies to soak wounds and/or madness.

WotD has setting rules on the infected's moan, infection, removal of an infected limb and expanded survival rules.

It really comes down to what YOU as a GM want to do. Fantasy Grounds is flexible enough to allow you to do all of these suggestions you made. You can't turn off the dice's ability to ace if you roll from the character or npc sheet but you can pick a die from the bottom of the screen (these won't ace) or you can disregard acing results.

Personally, from experience, horror is hard to pull off as a GM. While mechanics certainly help in that regard it really comes down to the quality of your descriptions, building up the intensity and getting the players emotionally involved, and player's buy-in.

Lee_Szczepanik
June 11th, 2015, 01:25
There are many ways to ramp up the fatality and horror in SW. Some of those tricks are found in the SWD with the gritty damage setting rules, others in the Horror Companion. Various setting also have their own setting rules that drive it home. Realms of Cthulhu for instance introduces a new set of wounds called Madness and also to turn off the option of spending bennies to soak wounds and/or madness.

WotD has setting rules on the infected's moan, infection, removal of an infected limb and expanded survival rules.

It really comes down to what YOU as a GM want to do. Fantasy Grounds is flexible enough to allow you to do all of these suggestions you made. You can't turn off the dice's ability to ace if you roll from the character or npc sheet but you can pick a die from the bottom of the screen (these won't ace) or you can disregard acing results.

Personally, from experience, horror is hard to pull off as a GM. While mechanics certainly help in that regard it really comes down to the quality of your descriptions, building up the intensity and getting the players emotionally involved, and player's buy-in.

There are also some fatal rules in World of the Dead that we created, that would really have been at home in War of the Dead as well, had we thought of them before the sequel came along.

Naturally, you're getting access to the entire line, so World is included to you guys.

CryAxe
June 11th, 2015, 03:10
Thanks! The Fantasy Grounds SW ruleset's ability to adapt to different styles of play, without editing xml files, is what I was wondering about.

Your other info will be useful too. If all of this is true, I don't understand why people argue that SW is only good for a heavy pulp style of game.

And a very big thanks to Lee_Szczepanik, for permitting us to experience your work on Fantasy Grounds!

Mask_of_winter
June 11th, 2015, 03:26
If all of this is true, I don't understand why people argue that SW is only good for a heavy pulp style of game.

Because many gamers are very opinionated and pass judgement after very little experience with a rule system they got to try reticently. SW does shine with pulpy style but can accommodate any genre. At least, it worked for me.

Also, what WotD will include is the Slow ability of the infected. When you deal initiative cards in the combat tracker, cards can only be a 5 or lower. The combat tracker will automatically re-deal cards over 5 but the infected can still get the joker. From having used this before this tends to mean jokers are drawn more often. That can cause big swings in momentum. Players meta-gaming (oh they can only get a 5 or less so my character will probably get to act again before he does) might be in for a nasty surprise. :)

CryAxe
June 11th, 2015, 04:30
Players meta-gaming (oh they can only get a 5 or less so my character will probably get to act again before he does) might be in for a nasty surprise. :)

That's cool. I wondered about the counting cards issue. Too bad the GM can't reshuffle at will. That maybe something to put on a wishlist for a future update.

Mask_of_winter
June 11th, 2015, 06:12
Right-click on combat tracker entry's init card to access dial menu to select deal card.

grimm182
June 11th, 2015, 17:23
Just sent Doug a follow up, will post more details as I get them. :)

Hastur
June 11th, 2015, 22:51
Voted yes. Interested in playing this one. Few weeks prepared and an inspiring desktop might be enough for me for a start. And please stick to the idea to put some maps in it, too.

Loonybinjin
June 11th, 2015, 22:58
Hastur Hastur Hastur!

I'm looking forward to this.

grimm182
June 12th, 2015, 17:50
FYI, I am no longer involved in this project, which does not affect most of this thread. :)
I will at some point work on another conversion, so suggestions are welcomed.

ddavison
June 12th, 2015, 17:53
I just wanted to post that grimm182 does excellent work. In this case, Mask_of_winter is a bit closer to completion and we will absolutely be seeing more great conversions by Grimm in the future.

Mask_of_winter
June 13th, 2015, 01:28
I will be running a demo of the War of the Dead pack Saturday the 27th at 10:30 EDT (GMT-4) for FGDaze.

More information here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24688-FGDaze1-Games-Saturday-June-27th!&p=216658&viewfull=1#post216658).

grimm182
June 13th, 2015, 16:47
I just wanted to post that grimm182 does excellent work. In this case, Mask_of_winter is a bit closer to completion and we will absolutely be seeing more great conversions by Grimm in the future.
Why thank you!!

JohnD
June 28th, 2015, 23:18
I will be running a demo of the War of the Dead pack Saturday the 27th at 10:30 EDT (GMT-4) for FGDaze.

More information here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24688-FGDaze1-Games-Saturday-June-27th!&p=216658&viewfull=1#post216658).

This was a lot of fun to play in... I could have happily gone another 3 hours without complaint. However, it is good we ended when we did; it saved me from having to dodge incoming rolling pins and frying pans from the wife.

Mask_of_winter
June 28th, 2015, 23:46
Between a zombie horde and angry wife, I'd face the horde. At least you can run away from it :)

Daedalus
July 3rd, 2015, 21:41
I literally joined this forum just to make this happen. I have been talking to creator of War of the Dead Lee Szczepanik and he told me the inexcusable reason why you don't have it already.

So get off your butt and do it already.

You have a yes vote here. I am about to run a War of the Dead campaign and this would help make things easier

David32780
July 3rd, 2015, 22:47
I have just about completed the entire chapter one now. That is all 13 weeks and a separate player compendium for all of the zombie information, edges, rules, etc that is in the week #1 - 3 book. All images are included from the original source and also some extra's I added in. There are also most of the combat maps etc.

Ill be starting Chapter 2 tomorrow, which is like a Season 2 I guess you could say and would love to trade someone my Chapter 1 & 2 for someones Chapter 3 & 4. This will take about another week or so to complete.

I would like to talk to the person I am trading with to make sure were on the same page for images, combat maps etc and overall quality to make sure its an even trade on both ends.

Thanks

damned
July 4th, 2015, 00:31
Hey David32780 - unfortunately you cant do that here via these forums.

David32780
July 5th, 2015, 01:50
Hey David32780 - unfortunately you cant do that here via these forums.

Huge sigh.

JohnD
July 18th, 2015, 01:32
Wondering how this is coming along. Patience is a virtue, I know, but just curious. :)

damned
July 18th, 2015, 02:10
Wondering how this is coming along. Patience is a virtue, I know, but just curious. :)

Very well...

Mask_of_winter
July 18th, 2015, 02:33
I just received the last map today. It was well worth the wait I have to say. 25 maps in total :) With GENCON coming up it will near impossible to have the product reviewed before then unfortunately but you never know. More realistically by mid August though.

JohnD
July 18th, 2015, 07:55
Quick question; will this be straightforward module/adventure content or is there a rules and setting component to it? I have a budding idea of what I'd like to run and am wondering how much I would get out of this in addition to the core rule set.

Mask_of_winter
July 18th, 2015, 08:24
There's a rules & setting component to it found in the Player Guide and also the GM Guide modules. This includes additional Edges and Hindrances, Setting Rules (additional rules to support running a zombie apocalypse with Savage Worlds) like scavenging, ways to destroy the living dead, how the infection works and also secret GM stuff. Basically everything included in the original pdf including new NPCs and all the different infected types. These modules will also have 10 portraits and Pre-gen characters, dozens of tokens for by-standards, vehicles, living dead, characters and items.

In another module you will find Chapter 1 of the War of the Dead series (Chapter 1-13). These will have 25 maps made by a professional graphic designer that weren't in the pdf or print copies (as FG users we get the scoop!), encounters with pre-placed tokens ready to run and shortcut pins.

And you also get a brand new skin with a new script for the combat tracker to recognize the slow "monstrous ability" of the infected and automatically re-deal initiative cards over a 5.

Mask_of_winter
August 13th, 2015, 02:40
As promised. It's out guys: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=DAR4051FG

If you like it and want to see more where that came from, head on to the store and show your support!

CryAxe
August 13th, 2015, 03:56
This is great! Thanks so much!

johniba
August 28th, 2015, 01:50
As promised. It's out guys: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=DAR4051FG

If you like it and want to see more where that came from, head on to the store and show your support!

This is fantastic!

I always wanted to get the War of the Dead books, and seeing it in FG was a big surprise for me.

I purchased the module without blinking!

I hope it sells well and we can have the other chapters :)

Mask_of_winter
August 28th, 2015, 01:52
Many thanks for your support!

David32780
August 28th, 2015, 02:09
Many thanks for your support!

I love the way you put together chapter 1.

Will you be doing Chapters 2-4 also for Fantasy Grounds?

Mask_of_winter
August 28th, 2015, 02:38
I love the way you put together chapter 1.

Will you be doing Chapters 2-4 also for Fantasy Grounds?

Thanks!
It's going to depend on the interest but it's a possibility.

Dr0W
October 7th, 2015, 23:14
Just purchased my War of the Dead and I have to say this is one of the best convertions I've seen to the day. Just look at that theme and those maps... Very nicely done!

I have a question tough. Are those maps exclusive to the FG Module? I'm really looking forward to see the next chapters on FG but if they don't come for any reason is there a way to purchase them somewhere else?

Mask_of_winter
October 8th, 2015, 01:16
I'll talk to Morne and see if he's interested in making maps for the other chapters. No decisions has been made to convert the other chapters to Fantasy Grounds at this point.
Morne has also released another map pack on DTRPG. https://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/8015/Just-Insert-Imagination

Mhalakai
October 8th, 2015, 09:40
Just purchased my War of the Dead and I have to say this is one of the best convertions I've seen to the day. Just look at that theme and those maps... Very nicely done!

I have a question tough. Are those maps exclusive to the FG Module? I'm really looking forward to see the next chapters on FG but if they don't come for any reason is there a way to purchase them somewhere else?

I'm glad you enjoy the conversion, the guys did an amazing job. You can get the maps separately in the Fantasy Grounds store for $5. If you are looking for print files, they are also available on DriveThruRPG. :)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=JIIMAPSWOTD

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/155134/War-of-the-Dead-Chapter-1-map-pack?src=newest

Dr0W
October 23rd, 2015, 05:18
I'm glad you enjoy the conversion, the guys did an amazing job. You can get the maps separately in the Fantasy Grounds store for $5. If you are looking for print files, they are also available on DriveThruRPG. :)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=JIIMAPSWOTD

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/155134/War-of-the-Dead-Chapter-1-map-pack?src=newest

Thanks a lot man!

Skellan
October 26th, 2015, 03:57
You guys did a great job on this. Excellent value for what you get. I reckon I may have to post a zombie blood bath for Halloween...

Mask_of_winter
April 30th, 2016, 12:36
No need to vote for this anymore. Product was converted and delivered. Thank you.