PDA

View Full Version : Grid Scale

dj-wedge
June 4th, 2015, 18:37
Is there any way to specify or adjust the grid scale? The default is currently 5', but I have need of changing the grid to 10' squares or even larger (for naval combat or large scale warfare, 5' squares is just too small).

Normally we can just "pretend" that it's not 5', however the ranging ability when you target something - or drawing shaped pointers - gets challenging when you are having to do math conversions in your head. It would be really cool to just be able to adjust what the scale is supposed to be with a drop box or something. Maybe even on a "per map" basis.

Thanks in advance,
Wedgie

Moon Wizard
June 4th, 2015, 18:46
Please add to the wish list in my sig. I will be reviewing all sorts of aspects of grids, drawing and images as part of our long-term migration to the Unity platform.

Thanks,
JPG

Trenloe
June 4th, 2015, 18:46
You can't change this on the fly - you need to modify the underlying ruleset (ideally with an extension) in order to change the grid scale, which would be a global change for all grids in that campaign. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22561-Map-units&p=191832&viewfull=1#post191832

dj-wedge
June 4th, 2015, 20:49
I will add it to the feature request.

The reason I want flexibility is for when the party decides to board a ship - then we can scale up to sailing ship battles. Each player performs different roles aboard ship (piloting, weapon crew chief, damage control, first aid, etc.). I have Ship-size/shape tokens and I'm adapting some of the Pathfinder sailing rules in the Skull and Shackles pdf. As well I have been considering an invasion story line and having the ability to scale up to use the UA battlesystem rules would be awesome.

And I really don't want to have to jump out of the campaign to edit a file just so they can board a ship (or vice versa). I'd rather just switch the scale and go. :)

damned
June 5th, 2015, 01:43
hey dj-wedge what effect does it have if you zoom in far enough and set the grid using ts default 5' setting. You might get a LOT of lines on the page but it should still work?