PDA

View Full Version : Effect Targeting Enhancement (Extension)

TASagent
June 4th, 2015, 17:28
edem has updated this extension for FG v3.3.0 compatibility - get it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24573-Effect-Targeting-Enhancement-(Extension)&p=336587&viewfull=1#post336587

Greetings!

After playing a couple 5e games through Fantasy Grounds, I found one thing I really wanted was greater ability to customize effect application.

Effects in the 5e ruleset already support an "Effect Target", which limits the scope of when they take effect. For example, if one player gets a damage bonus against a particular NPC, you can add the effect "DMG:2" to the player, and then set the Effect Target. The effect "DMG:2" on the player would make him deal an additional 2 damage to all creatures, whereas setting the Effect Target makes him deal an addional 2 damage only against the chosen Effect Targets.

The EffectTarget is an excellent feature, but setting it is a bit of a pain. Currently, you can set the effect target by either shift-dragging the effect to the target, or by applying the effect, then using the effect target button in the combat tracker. I wanted to create an easier way to handle most uses.

Effect Targeting Enhancement (Extension)

The Effect Targeting Enhancement creates an additional setting for Effects in the "Spell/Ability Effect" window. With these settings, you have the option of automatically setting the Effect Target of an effect to be yourself, your targets, or none (current and default behavior).

Here is an example using the spell Hex:

Now, to apply the Hex effect on your current target, all you have to do is trigger the effect.

With this modification, there are often multiple ways of achieving the same result (essentially a Push or a Pull). Let's say you had an ability where you dealt reduced damage to allies (Presumably AoEs, but maybe the Barbarian needs to sustain his rage...):
The first applies an effect to your targets, with you as the effect target, granting them resistance to the attack. Thus, incoming damage, for them, is reduced.
The second applies the effect to yourself, with your targets as the effect target, and decreases all damage by 5. Thus, outgoing damage, for you, is reduced.

Effect Targeting works with many (but not all) effect elements. Check the wiki for more details on which modifiers currently function properly. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects)

I've attached a sample character with example effects, showcasing the extension.

Please post any issues you have here, and I will try to address them.

v0.3 - Effect Targeting Enhancement is now compatible with the 5E Player Effect Removal Extension
v0.5 - Effect Targeting Enhancement is now compatible with the Fantasy Grounds v3.1.5

Current Version: v0.5
Compatible with FG: v3.1.5

TASagent

Do not use the attached old extension This is provided purely for reference as the original author is not updating this now.

Trenloe
June 4th, 2015, 18:37
Nice one!

FYI - this modifies the same base 5E scripts that the 5E Player effect removal extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23566-5E-Player-Effect-Removal-Extension) uses and so only one of these can be used at the same time.

As an additional FYI (you may be already doing this) - keep copies of all of the base FG files you change, so that when a new version comes out you can quickly do a file compare to see which scripts (if any) you need to update in your extension because of changes in the new version. I put the unmodified base scripts in the extension itself, renamed with the version they were taken from, for easy future reference. See the 5E Player effect removal extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23566-5E-Player-Effect-Removal-Extension) extension for an example of this.

TASagent
June 4th, 2015, 19:43
Thank you, Trenloe.

Ahh, I see what you did. When I started working on it I just made a local git repo of the 5e ruleset files. That way, when I get an update I can just dump it in the directory and see where my changes conflict. I think I'll do this as well, though, so other people could have access to it.

It might be kind of fun to create an extension that had a few hooks that the Remove Effect Tag and Effect Targeting Enhancement (and potentially others) could latch onto to allow some extensions that are otherwise compatible in functionality to work together. Only one hitch - Do you know of any way an extension can test to see if a different extension is loaded, and alter what files get clobbered as a result?

Trenloe
June 4th, 2015, 19:56
It might be kind of fun to create an extension that had a few hooks that the Remove Effect Tag and Effect Targeting Enhancement (and potentially others) could latch onto to allow some extensions that are otherwise compatible in functionality to work together.
The problem with anything like this is that it can quickly become outdated by FG code updates and the owners of all of the extensions would have to update when new FG code came out and it could soon become outdated. We get extension developers who create cool extensions, then life takes them away from the forums and we are then stuck with essentially what we had in the first place - incompatible extensions.

Plus, what would be required to create hooks into the base FG code can vary widely from one extension to the next. It's doable - but would need quite a bit of work up front to analyse what the "compatible extensions" are doing in each script, then will require custom hooks to be written, and will need future FG updates to be implemented within the extension/s to keep them current and compatible - if one extension owner doesn't provide timely updates then it all falls apart.

I don't know what your definition of "fun" is, but that doesn't sound too much fun to me (especially the long run update/maintenance).

Only one hitch - Do you know of any way an extension can test to see if a different extension is loaded, and alter what files get clobbered as a result?
I thought I remembered something discussed about reading extension versions recently, but I can't find it at the moment.

TASagent
June 4th, 2015, 20:09
Yeah. The compatibility extension would need to be collaboratively developed by modders who wanted to utilize it, which at least would reduce the probability of it just fading away. And any extension that wanted to hook into it would be encouraged to implement all of its features twice - One that just clobbers the relevant files and one that hooks into the compatibility extension.

If it were possible to detect if the compatibility extension were selected for loading, and branch which files you load as a result, it would at least have a nicer end-user experience. Otherwise you'd just need to set the compatibility extension to load last and cross your fingers there isn't some race condition (the documentation suggests that load order isn't strictly observed). At least if it were handled that way, the individual extensions would continue to work in the event that the compatibility extension ceased to be supported, with only a bit of extra work upfront on the modder's part.

I only asked because the Effect Removal extension is nifty, and I wouldn't want to force people to choose one or the other. Plus, we touch very different parts of the same file, so there's no reason, in principle, that both couldn't function at the same time if set up properly.

Edit: To be clear, I wasn't suggesting a global extension compatibility framework, just something small to get these to to cooperate together if people wanted. :-)

TASagent
June 4th, 2015, 20:43
When poking around at the Remove Effect extension, I started delving into the merge tag, and ruleset layering. I wasn't able to find references to it in the official documentation, just a few threads and the patch notes (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patchnotes.html), but perhaps I'd missed it. In any case, I can use this to at least slim down the profile of the extension. I'm going to see what I can do, compatibility-wise, probably this evening.

Thanks!

Trenloe
June 4th, 2015, 20:48
When poking around at the Remove Effect extension, I started delving into the merge tag, and ruleset layering. I wasn't able to find references to it in the official documentation, just a few threads and the patch notes (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patchnotes.html), but perhaps I'd missed it. In any case, I can use this to at least slim down the profile of the extension. I'm going to see what I can do, compatibility-wise, probably this evening.
FYI - Merge only works for XML not for the LUA scripts. The Remove Effects extension doesn't use any FG XML (other than the base extension.xml) so this isn't going to help any in this case.

TASagent
June 4th, 2015, 20:53
Ahh, thanks. Perhaps I misunderstood what was meant by the nested scripts.

Griogre
June 5th, 2015, 00:48
Load order can set by each individual extension. I had to set load order when I made an extension that overrode the Castle graphic for someone. That's because I had to make sure the theme loaded before the extension that changed the castle graphic. If no load order is set, the usual case, then its done by alpha.

Edit: Sample Code

<root version="3.0" release="3">
<properties>
<name>5E Dice Tower Icon</name>
<version>0.05.01</version>
<author>JeffKnight</author>
<description>Changes the Dice Tower Icon</description>

<ruleset>
<name>5E</name>
<!-- <minrelease>25</minrelease> -->
</ruleset>
<loadorder>5</loadorder> <!-- -->
</properties>

<base>
<!-- Display version # in chat window -->
<script name="5EDiceTowerMsg" file="scripts/5EDiceTowerMsg.lua" />

<!-- Desktop -->
<includefile source="desktop/desktop_classes.xml" />

<!-- Graphics -->
<includefile source="graphics/graphics_frames.xml" />
<includefile source="graphics/graphics_icons.xml" />
</base>
</root>

TASagent
June 5th, 2015, 04:04
I definitely read somewhere that the load order was more of a suggestion than something that you can rely on. However, on looking around and trying to find it (and failing), I have the suspicion that that was, at best, out-of-date information. Thanks for the update, Griogre.

TASagent
June 5th, 2015, 04:25
Trenloe,

I spent a little bit evaluating the incompatibility this evening, and a few options came to mind. The only seemingly irrectifiable conflict seems to be the power_action_mini.lua and power_action.lua files. The thing is, for my extension, it's just used for cosmetic labels. It's kind of nice, but in no way necessary. I can just kill that feature and make our extensions compatible. It's nice, but in no way necessary for the function. There are plenty of more complicated and/or less elegant solutions out there for compatibility, but it really feels like the tradeoff between a little less descriptive information and compatibility between the two mods is a no-brainer.

Thoughts?

Trenloe
June 5th, 2015, 05:33
Yeah, if you don't specifically need the code in the scripts that clash then it would be cool if you removed it to make it not clash. I've had a look and I can't see an easy way of separating this out as even one of the functions in a script is used by both extensions. Although I might have an idea - give me some time to check it out...

Trenloe
June 5th, 2015, 05:38
Scratch that idea - the scripts aren't global packages, so we can't override a single function within the script file.

So, if you don't mind removing the cosmetic, nice stuff that would be cool. :)

TASagent
June 5th, 2015, 17:29
Heya,

I've made a compatible version. I can update the top post with it, but I wanted to ask if there was a way to control where new UI elements merge. Currently I have this:

<windowclass name="power_effect_editor_main" merge="join" >
<sheetdata>
<label_column name="effect_target_label">
<static textres="power_label_effect_target" />
</label_column>
<button_stringcycler name="effect_target">
<anchored width="60" height="20">
<top parent="columnanchor" anchor="bottom" relation="relative" offset="7" />
<left offset="97" />
</anchored>
<parameters>
<defaultlabelres>power_label_effect_targetnone</defaultlabelres>
<labelsres>power_label_effect_targetself|power_label_effect_t argets</labelsres>
<values>self|targets</values>
</parameters>
</button_stringcycler>
</sheetdata>
</windowclass>

It's not strictly necessary handle the UI addition with this merge, but I wanted to try to minimize the extension's profile, for everyone's convenience. However, when I do this, it goes Targeting, Expend?, Effect Target. Not super important, but not really ideal.

Any idea how I can use the merge to put the Effect Target heading above Expend?

Thanks

Trenloe
June 5th, 2015, 19:14
As the positioning is using "relative" anchoring I believe you'll have to put all of the controls used in that relative anchoring chain in the custom XML. There may be another way, but I can't think of anything reliable that fits in with the dynamic nature of relative anchoring.

TASagent
June 5th, 2015, 20:59
Trenloe - I have updated it and the extensions are now compatible. Extension's descriptive text on the character sheet has been removed.

limpinjezus
September 15th, 2015, 16:50
Unless I've done something wrong, this isn't working as of today. It was working fine. The effect action it is breaking is: Cure Wounds; Additional Spell Slots; HEAL: 1d8; [ROLL]; [SELF]
The effect doesn't expend on the next roll. Removing the extension resolves the problem.

TASagent
September 15th, 2015, 16:55
Thanks for reporting this. I'll take a look at it as soon as I can.

TASagent
September 15th, 2015, 17:41
Hey limpinjezus,

I've tested the issue and it seems that it is a bug with FG, and removing the extension doesn't actually solve the problem. Let me elaborate on what I see happening. Let me know if your experience differs.

With the extension:

Without Effect Target: If your effect is "Cure Wounds; Additional Spell Slots; HEAL: 1d8; [ROLL]; [SELF]", and Effect Target is set to "None", when you use it it appropriately applies the effect to yourself without a specified effect target. If you use a self-heal it triggers and is expended. <- Working as desired.
With Effect Target: If your effect is "Cure Wounds; Additional Spell Slots; HEAL: 1d8; [ROLL]; [SELF]", and Effect Target is set to "Self", when you use it appropriately applies the effect to yourself with you as the specified effect target. If you use a self-heal it does not trigger and is not expended. <- Not working as desired. The effect should have triggered.

Without the extension:

Without Effect Target: If your effect is "Cure Wounds; Additional Spell Slots; HEAL: 1d8; [ROLL]; [SELF]", when you use it it appropriately applies the effect to yourself without a specified effect target. If you use a self-heal it triggers and is expended. <- Working as desired.
With Effect Target: If your effect is "Cure Wounds; Additional Spell Slots; HEAL: 1d8; [ROLL]; [SELF]", when you use it you must either shift drag the effect to yourself in the CT or map, or open up the effect breakout of the CT and use the effect target button to mark yourself the effect target in order to set the effect target. If you use a self-heal it does not trigger and is not expended. <- Not working as desired. The effect should have triggered.

You can avoid the issue for now by setting the Effect Target to none. It sounds like you're using it in such a way that it shouldn't matter anyway - ie applying the effect right before casting the spell. Actually, even if it was functioning properly I don't think you want the Effect Target to be set to self for this ability. That would mean he would benefit from the bonus healing only if he was healing himself.

But yeah, Fantasy Grounds seems not to be properly triggering effects with effect targets that modify heals.

limpinjezus
September 15th, 2015, 18:10
Hey limpinjezus,

I've tested the issue and it seems that it is a bug with FG, and removing the extension doesn't actually solve the problem. Let me elaborate on what I see happening. Let me know if your experience differs.

With the extension:
Without Effect Target: If your effect is "Cure Wounds; Additional Spell Slots; HEAL: 1d8; [ROLL]; [SELF]", and Effect Target is set to "None", when you use it it appropriately applies the effect to yourself without a specified effect target. If you use a self-heal it triggers and is expended. <- Working as desired.
With Effect Target: If your effect is "Cure Wounds; Additional Spell Slots; HEAL: 1d8; [ROLL]; [SELF]", and Effect Target is set to "Self", when you use it appropriately applies the effect to yourself with you as the specified effect target. If you use a self-heal it does not trigger and is not expended. <- Not working as desired. The effect should have triggered.

Without the extension:
Without Effect Target: If your effect is "Cure Wounds; Additional Spell Slots; HEAL: 1d8; [ROLL]; [SELF]", when you use it it appropriately applies the effect to yourself without a specified effect target. If you use a self-heal it triggers and is expended. <- Working as desired.
With Effect Target: If your effect is "Cure Wounds; Additional Spell Slots; HEAL: 1d8; [ROLL]; [SELF]", when you use it you must either shift drag the effect to yourself in the CT or map, or open up the effect breakout of the CT and use the effect target button to mark yourself the effect target in order to set the effect target. If you use a self-heal it does not trigger and is not expended. <- Not working as desired. The effect should have triggered.

You can avoid the issue for now by setting the Effect Target to none. It sounds like you're using it in such a way that it shouldn't matter anyway - ie applying the effect right before casting the spell. Actually, even if it was functioning properly I don't think you want the Effect Target to be set to self for this ability. That would mean he would benefit from the bonus healing only if he was healing himself.

But yeah, Fantasy Grounds seems not to be properly triggering effects with effect targets that modify heals.

I went back with the extension enabled and found, yes, if the Effect Target is set to anything but None, the HEAL is not expended on the next ROLL. I tested this with DMG and it works properly, so yes, it seems something is bugged with HEAL.

However, to your second point without the extension, I have tested and I cannot get it to fail under any logical scenario I've tried. The HEAL is always expended on the targets, whether targeting self or others.

TASagent
September 15th, 2015, 18:23
You are setting the effect target when running your test without the extension, correct? I just want to make sure: When you expand the effects, it should say something like "Targets:" and list the names when set properly. I have not been able to get effects that modify heals with an effect target to trigger with or without the extension. Let me know.
Thanks!

limpinjezus
September 15th, 2015, 18:50
10988 Without the extension. Works as expected. Expends the HEAL and adds it to the Heal action ROLL and heals whatever I have targeted.

TASagent
September 15th, 2015, 19:05
Ahh, I think there might just be some confusion about what the extension does.

Effect Target is a feature of effects that exists in Vanilla FG. My extension doesn't add it, it just makes it simpler to use in some cases. I was trying to describe how you have to set it up above. I think images will be more helpful.
All of the following are taken without the extension.
Here is what the CT looks like if you do not have the Effect Target set:
And here is what the CT looks like with the same effect if you do have the Effect Target set:

The Target determines where the effect goes, the Effect Target just limits when the ability kicks off (it's either a limitation on the source or the target depending on the type of ability).

As an example, consider the effect "HEAL: 1d6; [SELF]"

Without the Effect Target set, using that will put an effect on you that modifies all healing you do by 1d6.
With the Effect Target set to you, it should put an effect on you that modifies healing you do just to yourself by 1d6. (not functioning properly in core FG)
With the Effect Target set to someone else, it should put an effect on you that modifies healing you do just to the effect target by 1d6. (not functioning properly in core FG)

Effect Target can be set using this button:

Are we on the same page, or did I misunderstand something?

limpinjezus
September 15th, 2015, 19:31
Words...hard. I got it now. Relatively new to Fantasy Grounds, so I didn't realize effects could also have targets. Well I did, but I misunderstood and thought this extension allowed for that, but now I understand I was wrong. In any case, yes you are correct, if the effect has a target and it is a HEAL, it does not expend with or without the extension, so I concur, it has to be a bug in Fantasy Grounds.

TASagent
September 15th, 2015, 19:39
It's cool. It's a tricky and kind of hidden feature, and everyone gets tunnel-vision when they think someone isn't hearing them. I'll report the issue. Let me know if you find anything else. :D

Moon Wizard
September 19th, 2015, 08:27
I got a chance to look into this just now. The HEAL effect does not support "targeting". None of the D&D versions have targeted healing effects currently.

Effects that support targeting are specifically called out in the wiki page.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects
(i.e. ATK, AC, DMG, Invisible, RESIST, VULN, IMMUNE, COVER, SCOVER, ADVATK, DISATK, GRANTADVATK, GRANTDISATK)

Regards,
JPG

TASagent
September 19th, 2015, 12:27
Ahh, yes. I'd forgotten that there was a list of which effects did and did not support targeting. Thanks for taking a look.

poppy_thompson
January 3rd, 2016, 01:46
Ok ... I was going to bypass this old campaign/new campaign issue that was causing this problem by creating a new campaign and transferring all the data over. I went through the process by opening two sessions of FG and creating the new campaign in the second session. I named it, gave it a password and turned on all the extensions from the old campaign. When it finished loading, I opened all the modules required for the old campaign. The MM was, of course, one of these modules. My first order of business, before transferring any data (exporting and importing characters, etc.), was to test Balor! SAME ISSUE!!! AGGGGGHHHHH! Why is it doing this to MEEEEEE! It had to be me, right?! RIGHT! I wouldn't be so damn paranoid, IF everyone wasn't out to get me!

Once my fit was over, I processed the situation. I had two campaigns that I had created very recently. One worked properly, The other didn't. The new campaign I created to test the MM like Galdrin, worked. What was different?

<lightbulb> ... EXTENSIONS!

I went back to the original (old) campaign and turned off all the extensions. IT WORKED! BALOR WORKED PROPERLY!

The next question ... which one? I didn't want to think about if it was a combination of two or more. I am not that good or smart to figure that one out in a timely manner. I had quite a few extensions turned on.

I started turning them off one by one, logging in, testing Balor, logging out, rinse, repeat.

It eventually came down to the Effect Targeting Enhancement v0.3 for FG v3.1.0 5E ruleset. When I turned it off, BALOR WORKED! (I also tested it with an Erinyes) Obviously, I went to the community page to make sure I had the most updated version. I downloaded the version linked to Comment #1 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24573-Effect-Targeting-Enhancement-(Extension)). When it was turned on, Balor/Erinyes didn't work. When I turned it off, they worked.

This is a comment I post in the 5E Bug Reports forum. The conversion starts at Comment #43 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27299-5E-Bug-Reports/page5&p=246248#post246248). I thought it should be posted here, as well.

TASagent
January 3rd, 2016, 05:11
Yeah, I was reading the summary of the issue from the bug thread, and was wondering, myself, if it was an extension issue. Then I saw the cause was this extension and was rather unsurprised. I have been meaning to come back and update mine, it has been a while since they were compatible. I knew compatibility was an issue, but I guess I was discouraged by the lack of any reports that that was the problem. Since this is the first report I've seen of someone using one of my extensions since they became incompatible, I guess I'll go ahead and update them. ;-)

TASagent
January 12th, 2016, 18:47
I've updated the Effect Targeting Enhancement to be compatible with FG 3.1.5

poppy_thompson
January 12th, 2016, 18:55
Great news. Thank you good sir.

bnickelsen
January 13th, 2016, 00:46
Thank you

Zacchaeus
June 4th, 2016, 10:52
It would seem that this extension is causing an error to occur in NPC's where there are multiple damage types. For example the Balor's Longsword attack does 21 (3d8) slashing + 13 (3d8) lightning. When placed on the CT the latter becomes 31d8. There may be other underlying problems. See this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31946-Not-sure-this-is-a-bug-or-just-me-!) and this one (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27299-5E-Bug-Reports&p=272857&viewfull=1#post272857) too.

Smoltok
September 11th, 2016, 08:59
Hi, this extension didn't work in my FG.
I see the new button option, but the example of Hex didn't do the trick or I have forgotten somethings...

Even the Character demo , with the Hex example is not working well. When I drag and drop the effect to a target, the target gain gain the effect and it is not what we expected.

Zacchaeus
September 11th, 2016, 13:08
Seems to be working for me. See the screenshot.

Bob as you can see has cast Hex, and then attacked the monster and has benefited from the extra necrotic damage. However Jayne hasn't. So it does seem to be working.

If it's not working for you can you post a screenie so I can take a look?

Smoltok
September 11th, 2016, 13:46

Bob as you can see has cast Hex, and then attacked the monster and has benefited from the extra necrotic damage. However Jayne hasn't. So it does seem to be working.

Here is my screenshot.
There is the dommage bonus, but not the target.
How do you do the attack ? may be I don't know how to attack with target acquired ?
Do you manually specifed the target ? I don't think so if not there is no benefit with this extension.

Smoltok
September 11th, 2016, 13:58

Ok as I read it in the manual :

• It is recommended for a number of reasons that players get into the habit of selecting targets by CTRL
clicking before attacking or casting spells.

I didn't CTRL click the target before doing the effect. Now i Understand how it works !

rob2e
November 2nd, 2016, 03:25
This seems to NOT be compatible with 3.2?

Zacchaeus
November 2nd, 2016, 13:12
This seems to NOT be compatible with 3.2?

It seems to be working for me. Can you provide more details

Gwydion
November 2nd, 2016, 14:43
It seems to be working for me. Can you provide more details

Hey, Zacchaeus. I mentioned this to Rob last night. For his Unknown Whom module, you need to adjust the spell save DC to -1 for all level 0 players. I did that previously by putting the -1 modifier into every spell that had a save component. With 3.2, you can now put in a modifier at a group spell level which is awesome as it automatically adjusts the DC of all spells in the group. I noticed, however, that when I have the effect targeting extension loaded (and only that extension), when I put in a modifier to the Save DC at the power group - spells level, the modifier does not flow through to the spells within the power group. However, as soon as I remove the extension and try again, the modifier works fine and does apply to all of the spells underneath the group.

Sorry for the long message! Just trying to explain in detail. It appears to be some type of conflict as that is the only extension I have open when I test it. Love the new update!

Zacchaeus
November 2nd, 2016, 15:34
Hey, Zacchaeus. I mentioned this to Rob last night. For his Unknown Whom module, you need to adjust the spell save DC to -1 for all level 0 players. I did that previously by putting the -1 modifier into every spell that had a save component. With 3.2, you can now put in a modifier at a group spell level which is awesome as it automatically adjusts the DC of all spells in the group. I noticed, however, that when I have the effect targeting extension loaded (and only that extension), when I put in a modifier to the Save DC at the power group - spells level, the modifier does not flow through to the spells within the power group. However, as soon as I remove the extension and try again, the modifier works fine and does apply to all of the spells underneath the group.

Sorry for the long message! Just trying to explain in detail. It appears to be some type of conflict as that is the only extension I have open when I test it. Love the new update!

Thank you; that's exactly what I needed. I can reproduce this and you are correct. Unfortunately TASAgent who wrote the extension has rather dropped off the radar so it may be that some other developer might need to take this on to see if there is a fix. Meantime use the extension at your peril.

Gwydion
November 2nd, 2016, 16:37
Got it. I just wish I was a developer or knew something about coding. But alas, that is a toolset that I am not only not proficient in but if there was such a thing as double non-proficiency, that would be me....... :)

LordEntrails
November 2nd, 2016, 16:54
Got it. I just wish I was a developer or new something about coding. But alas, that is a toolset that I am not only not proficient in but if there was such a thing as double non-proficiency, that would be me....... :)
One of these days I'm going to teach myself... https://www.codecademy.com/

Gwydion
November 2nd, 2016, 18:59
One of these days I'm going to teach myself... https://www.codecademy.com/

In order to create extensions, what language do u need to understand? Php? See. My question only highlights my ignorance!

Zacchaeus
November 2nd, 2016, 19:15
In order to create extensions, what language do u need to understand? Php? See. My question only highlights my ignorance!

Fantasy Grounds is all XML and lua.

Trenloe
November 2nd, 2016, 19:24
Some background info on ruleset development here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19033-Modifying-the-3-5e-PFRPG-ruleset Just change 3.5e to 5e.

Dracius
January 21st, 2017, 05:09
I've noticed that when you add a modifier to the spell group meta data, then set a spell to use "GroupAtk+" it doesn't add in the bonus.

I've included a screenshot showing what I'm referring to. Even if you change the group type to abilities the bonus does still not apply.

Trenloe
January 21st, 2017, 12:51
I've noticed that when you add a modifier to the spell group meta data, then set a spell to use "GroupAtk+" it doesn't add in the bonus.
This extension is not compatible with FG v3.2. This is mentioned in post #1 of this thread.

Dracius
January 21st, 2017, 22:18
This is so far the only issue we've found that this extension is causing and I assume it's something wrong with this section of the code?

function getGroupAttackBonus(rActor, nodeAction)
local vGroup = getGroupFromAction(rActor, nodeAction);

local sGroupAtkStat = DB.getValue(vGroup, "atkstat", "");
if sGroupAtkStat == "" then
sGroupAtkStat = DB.getValue(vGroup, "stat", "");
end
local nGroupAtkProf = DB.getValue(vGroup, "atkprof", 1);

local nGroupAtkMod = ActorManager2.getAbilityBonus(rActor, sGroupAtkStat);
if nGroupAtkProf == 1 then
nGroupAtkMod = nGroupAtkMod + DB.getValue(ActorManager.getCreatureNode(rActor), "profbonus", 0);
end

return nGroupAtkMod, sGroupAtkStat;
end

function getGroupSaveDC(rActor, nodeAction)
local vGroup = getGroupFromAction(rActor, nodeAction);

local sGroupSaveStat = DB.getValue(vGroup, "savestat", "");
if sGroupSaveStat == "" then
sGroupSaveStat = DB.getValue(vGroup, "stat", "");
end
local nGroupSaveProf = DB.getValue(vGroup, "saveprof", 1);

local nGroupSaveDC = 8 + ActorManager2.getAbilityBonus(rActor, sGroupSaveStat);
if nGroupSaveProf == 1 then
nGroupSaveDC = nGroupSaveDC + DB.getValue(ActorManager.getCreatureNode(rActor), "profbonus", 0);
end

return nGroupSaveDC, sGroupSaveStat;
end

Dracius
January 24th, 2017, 17:45
This extension is not compatible with FG v3.2. This is mentioned in post #1 of this thread.

I'm aware now that it's mentioned "in post #1 of this thread", but is there any reason it's not mentioned here as no longer compatible?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22975-5E-Community-extensions

Please try to understand that although some things are painfully obvious to you because you've been here a while and frequent the forums, they may not be as painfully obvious to other users such as myself who are both new to FG and don't frequent the forums. Trying to skim through and read old posts certain details can be missed or overlooked, especially when at first glance it's information someone is unfamiliar with. I've also had this extension a while and I don't recall if it had the compatibility note was at the top of the first post.

Sorry if this request seems rude. Feel free to just brush it off as "stupid n00b, should've read before posting!!", but I'd prefer it if you looked at his as a "hm, if he overlooked it, others might be missing it so let's update the Community Extension list post to indicate it's no longer supported and no longer compatible."

Zacchaeus
January 24th, 2017, 17:57
Perhaps.

To be fair the top line of the post you have linked does say that all extensions need to be updated for compatibility with 3.2. and since the enhanced targeting extension doesn't say that it is compatible siggests that it isn't. Furthermore clicking on he link there does take you to this thread which does say that it isn't compatible.

Trenloe
January 24th, 2017, 17:57
I'm aware now that it's mentioned "in post #1 of this thread", but is there any reason it's not mentioned here as no longer compatible?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22975-5E-Community-extensions

Please try to understand that although some things are painfully obvious to you because you've been here a while and frequent the forums, they may not be as painfully obvious to other users such as myself who are both new to FG and don't frequent the forums. Trying to skim through and read old posts certain details can be missed or overlooked, especially when at first glance it's information someone is unfamiliar with. I've also had this extension a while and I don't recall if it had the compatibility note was at the top of the first post.

Sorry if this request seems rude. Feel free to just brush it off as "stupid n00b, should've read before posting!!", but I'd prefer it if you looked at his as a "hm, if he overlooked it, others might be missing it so let's update the Community Extension list post to indicate it's no longer supported and no longer compatible."
It takes a while for threads to be updated as it takes a lot of coordination across many extension threads, with the moderators allowing extension developers time to update their extensions. I purely mentioned that it was indicated in post #1, just to allow you to see where it was listed. I do this as a matter of course, because I have on many occasions had a response "where does it say that?" from a forum user, it wasn't meant to be derogatory in any way - sorry if it came across that way.

Thanks for reminding us that the 5E extension thread needs updating. Zacchaeus? :)

Trenloe
January 24th, 2017, 18:08
Just as a follow up to this. The moderators do make efforts to keep everything updated, but it is a huge task with multiple developers making extensions, posting them and updating them all over the place, regular FG updates breaking extensions, etc.. Therefore the actual extension thread should always be checked for the most recent compatibility information - that's always where the most up-to-date info will be available. Thanks.

Zacchaeus
January 24th, 2017, 18:09
Thanks for reminding us that the 5E extension thread needs updating. Zacchaeus? :)

Heh! Still can't edit that pesky thread. I'm afraid you're on your own :)

Trenloe
January 24th, 2017, 18:11
Heh! Still can't edit that pesky thread. I'm afraid you're on your own :)
Any excuse!

Dracius
January 24th, 2017, 20:57
As always, appreciate the prompt replies! It's what makes this forum so great.

It definitely is an ongoing battle keeping all stickies updated, so I understand any perceived delay in such updates. I wish I could contribute more, but I'm still learning.

rob2e
March 23rd, 2017, 19:36
This extension DOES work in v3.2.3, but it conflicts with the settings for GM / VSBL in the combat tracker when trying to apply effects when unchecking the eye. Any chance this will be fixed? The alternative is for DMs to use this "broken" extension and if they want to HIDE an effect, cut an paste it in a blank effect already marked GM. It would be nice to not have to do that.

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2017, 19:50
I'm afraid TASAgent hasn't been around for a while and is unlikely to be around any time soon. It's unlikely therefore that he'll be updating this. It would need to be done by another community member who understands how such things work. Which doesn't include me - just before you ask.

Trenloe
March 23rd, 2017, 19:51
This extension DOES work in v3.2.3, but it conflicts with the settings for GM / VSBL in the combat tracker when trying to apply effects when unchecking the eye.
It "appears to work", but there are issues known (and potentially more issues currently unreported) as this is using old FG code. Hence why we don't recommend using this anymore. Use at your own risk and disable if you have issues.

Any chance this will be fixed?
If you check the OP's profile it shows that they haven't been on the forums since September last year. As such, we can assume they will not be updating this. It would rely on someone else in the community taking on the change *and* also the ongoing support and maintenance of the extension.

rob2e
March 23rd, 2017, 20:08
ThanX guys.

Dracius
March 23rd, 2017, 22:07
This extension DOES work in v3.2.3, but it conflicts with the settings for GM / VSBL in the combat tracker

It also doesn't apply any bonuses added to power/spell groups. See further up in the thread for my examples.

edem
May 5th, 2017, 17:12
I've tried to update the extension, please give it a thorough testing, as I only tested so far with my usual settings.

Gwydion
May 5th, 2017, 18:30
I've tried to update the extension, please give it a thorough testing, as I only tested so far with my usual settings.

Thanks for attempting to update this extension! I'll test it this weekend.

Salva
May 5th, 2017, 18:36
Nice i will tr it too.
Thanks

Gwydion
May 5th, 2017, 19:14

With a VERY brief peek at this over lunch, the issue I raised in a prior post here regarding the spell save DC seems to have been fixed. Well done! I'll keep testing it as I loved this extension and would be happy to have it back.

edem
May 8th, 2017, 13:00
Hey guys, any feedbacks? :) If it looks bug free now, I'll ask Trenloe to update the extensions list

Gwydion
May 8th, 2017, 13:12
Hey guys, any feedbacks? :) If it looks bug free now, I'll ask Trenloe to update the extensions list

I haven't been able to test in a live game but I did test it some over the weekend with a number of other extensions loaded and it looks great to me. Thanks again for updating.

edem
September 20th, 2017, 12:48
Since 3.3.2 has changed the mechanics the extension was affecting, this extension is NOT compatible with 3.3.2, and will need some serious time investment to bring it back. (The whole manager_action_effect.lua file, which contained the core of the effect, is now missing, presumably reworked into different files).

Dracius
November 11th, 2017, 04:46
I appreciate your effort none the less.

It's a great extension concept, but it seems to break every update and without someone dedicated to keeping it updated, it makes it very unreliable. With how deep its roots go once you start using it, trying to adjust for not having it for even a single session is a challenge every time.

As much as I love the extra customization and how easy it makes things like Hex/HuntersMark and Help, it's just not worth the risk since it doesn't add any functionality, it just makes it easier to apply effect targets.

That being said, I hope this functionality gets included in the unity engine.

Mazzar
November 27th, 2018, 17:54
Does anyone know if there is a version of this extension that works with FG 3.3.6? I tried this extension but get a bunch of errors.

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2018, 18:22
Does anyone know if there is a version of this extension that works with FG 3.3.6? I tried this extension but get a bunch of errors.

Video 6 in this series (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E) shows you how to create your own effects for effect targeting.

Mazzar
November 28th, 2018, 05:59
Thank you.. I saw that.. It was very good.

I am looking to do some things that are a little out of the box. I wonder if you know how anything like this is possible (if its possible).

1) A life drain effect where an effect is added to an NPC. If that NPC takes damage from another player, it triggers a heal to that player.

I was thinking that we set an effect with a name (call it Life Drain) that gets applied to the NPC. Then we set an effect on all the other PC's that have a condition IFT: CUSTOM(Life Drain); Heal: 1d6 or IFT: CUSTOM(Life Drain); REGEN: 1d6

The problem is that i can't get Heal or Regen to trigger from an IFT statement.

2) I am also looking for a way to have an effect expire on the NPC as soon as it takes damage.

Any ideas on this?

rob2e
November 28th, 2018, 07:05
Thank you.. I saw that.. It was very good.

I am looking to do some things that are a little out of the box. I wonder if you know how anything like this is possible (if its possible).

1) A life drain effect where an effect is added to an NPC. If that NPC takes damage from another player, it triggers a heal to that player.

I was thinking that we set an effect with a name (call it Life Drain) that gets applied to the NPC. Then we set an effect on all the other PC's that have a condition IFT: CUSTOM(Life Drain); Heal: 1d6 or IFT: CUSTOM(Life Drain); REGEN: 1d6

The problem is that i can't get Heal or Regen to trigger from an IFT statement.

2) I am also looking for a way to have an effect expire on the NPC as soon as it takes damage.

Any ideas on this?

Not sure that can be done the way you want to do it. Would be nice.

For life drain, you have to do it manually - heal the d6 after the attack. At least as far as I know. If you figure a way, I'd love to hear about it.

IFT: CUSTOM(Life Drain); DMG: 1d6 works
IFT: CUSTOM(Life Drain); HEAL: 1d6 does not (and if it DID work, you would be healing the target anyway)

Zacchaeus
November 28th, 2018, 09:20
You can't do either of those things automatically. Not every keyword can be used as a targetted effect and HEAL isn't one of them. Additionally IFT and IF can only test for conditions (poisoned, prone etc) and conditional modifiers (TYPE, SIZE etc) so you can't test for things like damage taken.

So you'd need to deal with both manually.