PDA

View Full Version : The Hex and You!

dj-wedge
June 4th, 2015, 13:59
This one is as bad as the Bouncing Lightning Bolts of the days of yore!

Hex reads:
"...you deal an extra 1d6 necrotic damage to the target whenever you hit it with an attack." (PHB pg. 251)

Magic Missile reads:
"Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range." (PHB Pg. 257)

An attack is defined as:
"If there's ever any question whether something you're doing counts as an attack, the rule is simple: if you're making an attack roll, you're making an attack." (PHB Pg. 194)
A corollary to this is a spell that requires an attack roll is an attack, but if it has a saving throw or is automatic damage, it is not an attack.

So these things taken together bring up several questions. I know how I've ruled thus far. I also know how I'm about to blow my (virtual) table up by changing my ruling at tonight's session. But I was curious how others would rule here.

1) Is Magic Missile an attack - and therefore does it trigger a Hex?
2) Does each Magic Missile dart trigger Hex independently or do they hit simultaneously and only trigger once?
3) Does Hex trigger if someone else hits the target with an attack (not the original Hex caster)?
4) Is Hex damage multiplied in the case of a Critical?

How do others rule in cases like this?
Wedgie

Nylanfs
June 4th, 2015, 14:33
Is an attack a hostile action? I would rule that ANY action that is physically or mentally hostile would be an attack and would trigger the hex.

dj-wedge
June 4th, 2015, 15:12
I'm not in disagreement with you, Nylanfs. I am not inclined to interpret these rules with absolute literalness. But this mechanic can definitely and easily be abused.

And don't get me started on "Bardic Inspiration/Cutting Words".

OneSidedDie
June 4th, 2015, 15:39
My interpitations:

1. No. If there is no attack roll there is no attack. However it is still a hostile action for things such as charm person.
2. No as its effects only trigger on an attack. Each target gets hit with all its bolts simultaneously, so if it did trigger it would be only one "hit". But if there were two or more targets that had some sort of on damage effect it would apply to each target only once and not once per bolt.
3. No. It uses the word " you" a lot.
4. Yes! Crits double all damage dice of the attack be it hex, sneak attack, smites, poison, etc.

Though the real kicker is that eldritch blast and scorching ray would kick off hex multiple times since each beam is a separate attack roll.

VenomousFiligree
June 4th, 2015, 15:43
This post has a bit more info on spells - https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-spellcasting

Zacchaeus
June 4th, 2015, 20:09
Nice link Venemous, well played.