PDA

View Full Version : Dimensions and Overflow [3.1.0]

Marswipp
June 3rd, 2015, 16:21

It seems a text overflow issue exists. I had been looking at various items, and flavor text was truncated on some. I experimented with the window dimensions, and the overflow corrected itself.

The original images were 1920x1080, cropped to show affected window. Active ruleset is Pathfinder. Application mode: server.

Zacchaeus
June 3rd, 2015, 19:34
Indeed, I've noticed this too although I couldn't have identified it as a text overflow. Some text is truncated until you resize the window. It's fairly rare, but it's there.

Zeus
June 3rd, 2015, 22:09
I have observed this as well and have already reported it to moon.

darrenan
June 3rd, 2015, 22:41
I mostly notice this when applying formatting, is that everyone else's experience as well?

Moon Wizard
June 4th, 2015, 09:52
My guess is that it's related to initialization order between windows, controls and nested windows. The formatted text controls do not even know what to display until they have a final dimension, but the window needs a dimension to figure out how to display the controls. It's a delicate balance sometimes. ;)

JPG

darrenan
June 4th, 2015, 16:27
I'm pretty sure I've seen this after the window is open, while editing contents. Every time I've seen it happen is while italicizing something, since that seems to have the most impact (vs. bold) on font width. Play around with italicizing text near the borders and see if you can get a repro.

darrenan
June 8th, 2015, 06:36
I have identified a 100% repro of this issue:
1. Paste a bunch of text (several lines) into a story window.
2. Select text from the beginning of any line other than the first. Make sure you are selecting from the left-most side of the line.
3. Press CTRL-I, then see the highlighted text get moved up to the previous line, and if long enough, off the right side of the screen.
Hope this helps.

Moon Wizard
June 8th, 2015, 07:15
Reproducible is always good. I'll be taking a look at it for a subsequent release.

For now, the workaround if anyone runs into this is to resize the window.

Thanks,
JPG

darrenan
June 23rd, 2015, 22:47
Bump! Can we please get this fixed in the next release?

Resizing the window isn't a sufficient workaround for those cases where you have so much text in the window that you need to scroll. Once you resize the window your scroll position gets reset back to the top of the text so you can no longer see if the new size fixes the issue. This kept happening to me over and over last night and it's really frustrating when trying to run a game, and read story entries I authored months ago. My only reliable workaround is to go back through all the modules in my campaign and remove text formatting so they display correctly, which isn't really viable at this point.

I feel like I'm the only one complaining about this, is no one else really hitting this? That seems unlikely given how easy it is to reproduce, but maybe I'm the only one who uses text formatting in my story entries.