PDA

View Full Version : Effects that modify critical hits

epithet
June 2nd, 2015, 22:38
Are there any 5e effect terms that can modify criticals?

I know that you can expand the crit range and add extra crit dice for a player character, but that applies to every weapon. Is there syntax for expanding the crit range or adding extra dice on an NPC? Is it possible to designate these characteristics for a particular weapon (e.g. Vicious Weapon, DMG pg 209)? Was the "keen" weapon property carried over from other systems?

Also, is there an effect for crit immunity, such as from Adamantine Armor (DMG pg 150)?

Griogre
June 2nd, 2015, 22:43
Currently there isn't anything for monsters. Right now there isn't anything for something like a Vicious Weapon but that is likely to change when the DMG is releases. Likewise I didn't see anything in the patch notes for crit immunity either.

Edit: OK I was wrong on the expanded crit for monsters. I just tried checking an NPC with expanded crit. Try putting in a trait for the NPC called:

Improved Critical

Weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.

The effect on the combat tracker is CRIT: 19

Probably you can change the 19 to whatever you need.

epithet
June 2nd, 2015, 22:55
Thanks, that's helpful. Hopefully the DMG will bring effects that can cover "vicious" and "adamantine."

epithet
January 22nd, 2017, 03:20
Has there been anything in an update that would automate a Vicious Weapon yet?

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2017, 00:07
No. You can add an effect to the player using the critical tag e.g. DMG: 1d6, critical will do an additional 1d6 on a critical. However this will work for any weapon used and not just the one that does extra critical damage.

epithet
January 23rd, 2017, 00:59
What happens if I add a damage type of 'critical' to the weapon on the character action tab? e.g.: 1d8 slashing on the first line, 2d6 critical on the second line?

damned
January 23rd, 2017, 01:07
What happens if I add a damage type of 'critical' to the weapon on the character action tab? e.g.: 1d8 slashing on the first line, 2d6 critical on the second line?

Indeed. What happens?
:)

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2017, 01:59
The critical tag only works with effects I suspect. So I think what would happen is that you would do all of the damage all of the time, or the second bit won't work.

epithet
January 23rd, 2017, 02:06
It applies the damage to the target regardless of whether the hit is a critical. It seems to me that a big improvement to the damage box would be to add a toggle for "apply on" that can be switched from "all rolls" to "critical hits."

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2017, 02:35
Not sure there's room for much more in the character sheet. The easiest method is to create a damage effect as I noted above. The likelihood is that a player with a vorpal sword is going to use it most of the tome and the DM can always toggle the effect off in the CT when they don't use it.

epithet
January 23rd, 2017, 06:16
If you have a rogue dual wielding a vicious shortsword and an offhand, you really need a weapon-specific effect.

LordEntrails
January 23rd, 2017, 14:28
You can add the suggestion to the wishlist. Until then, what you can do is simple create a second weapon on the PC actions tab. Then the player can click the vicious damage when appropriate. Or you can do it the others ways that have been suggested.

epithet
January 24th, 2017, 17:24
It seems to me that the least cumbersome work-around to this issue for the moment is to create an effect similar to sneak attack that a player can click on. It will add more clutter to the action tab, but until more functionality is added to the weapon damage box it is what it is.

This doesn't strike me as a "wishlist" kind of suggestion, since it is an issue of fully implementing the 5e ruleset. I get that you can't automate the entire game, nor would I even want that. There need to be some fiddly bits around the edges to preserve the flavor of the tabletop. I personally think that a robust system for modifying crits would be broadly helpful, but that's the sort of decision that I'll leave up to the dev team.

Zacchaeus
January 24th, 2017, 18:00
It seems to me that the least cumbersome work-around to this issue for the moment is to create an effect similar to sneak attack that a player can click on. It will add more clutter to the action tab, but until more functionality is added to the weapon damage box it is what it is.

This doesn't strike me as a "wishlist" kind of suggestion, since it is an issue of fully implementing the 5e ruleset. I get that you can't automate the entire game, nor would I even want that. There need to be some fiddly bits around the edges to preserve the flavor of the tabletop. I personally think that a robust system for modifying crits would be broadly helpful, but that's the sort of decision that I'll leave up to the dev team.

Thing is if you don't put it on the wish list the dev team might not even see this post. They are few and even though they are all super human they can't see everything. Moon Wizard uses the wish list as a good guide for additional features, so I'd suggest it is worth adding it in there.

Trenloe
January 24th, 2017, 18:33
I personally think that a robust system for modifying crits would be broadly helpful, but that's the sort of decision that I'll leave up to the dev team.
Good idea - please add it to the wishlist! :)

As others have said, the devs use that as their primary list of things to do. FG will never have 100% RPG system automation (the goal is approx 80%) so the devs will never be looking themselves at every individual aspect of the ruleset. As the recent updates have shown, the devs do take user wishes into account - so, if you want it looked at the best place is to add it to the wishlist. Thanks.